Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zurai posted:

Nice straw man. Try actually addressing the point I was making instead of making up a different point I never mentioned.

EDIT: Seriously, the permutations for 12 units, each of which can make 12 different possible moves/attacks, is half a billion possible sequences of moves (and sequencing matters in 1UPT). Most Civilization game states past the very early game are much more complicated than that.

OK, you can just repeat the same thing for every ineffective strategy until you've got the half-dozen or so that actually produce a serious threat to a comparable opponent? There are literally not that many ways to play Civilization well, there's like one or two places you can put your spearman where it'll be relevant in the next half-dozen turns and if you're not doing that I don't care. I'm sure your secret kung fu move of canceling production and moving units at random and pursuing the not immediately useful research paths is extremely powerful but there's no way to represent that that I don't think you'll take as "strawmanning".

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

OK, you can just repeat the same thing for every ineffective strategy until you've got the half-dozen or so that actually produce a serious threat to a comparable opponent? There are literally not that many ways to play Civilization well, there's like one or two places you can put your spearman where it'll be relevant in the next half-dozen turns and if you're not doing that I don't care. I'm sure your secret kung fu move of canceling production and moving units at random and pursuing the not immediately useful research paths is extremely powerful but there's no way to represent that that I don't think you'll take as "strawmanning".

This is relatively easy for a human to figure out and pretty much impossible for a computer to figure out. Computers don't have intuition. They can't say, "Oh, this move doesn't actually matter" without pursuing a line examining whether it matters.

Also, good job playing the victim when you're the one who ignored the entire point to invent a moronicly-weak scenario to argue against.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what the gently caress is even happening low lol, did I break the AI

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zurai posted:

This is relatively easy for a human to figure out and pretty much impossible for a computer to figure out. Computers don't have intuition. They can't say, "Oh, this move doesn't actually matter" without pursuing a line examining whether it matters.

Also, good job playing the victim when you're the one who ignored the entire point to invent a moronicly-weak scenario to argue against.

Actually, "intuition" is probably the best description for what machine learning does. It absolutely does not, in most well developed system, pursue any "lines" when deciding whether something is a good move or not, it's usually pattern matching and state comparison. "These kinds of moves generally produce good outcomes in similar situations, so I'm going to do one of those"

Even simpler AIs generally don't pursue questions about "whether it matters" when discarding moves.

Anyway, more real problems:

Any time any game designer puts decent effort into their AI system to make it "good" people end up despising it, which is why with games that have moderately functional AI (like Alien: Isolation) you end up having to build a second AI layer on top of it to hobble the first one and force it to make bad decisions if you want an enjoyable player experience.

Plus, you know, developing AI is resource intensive and very expensive even without considering the cost of hiring people who know what they're doing.

Finally, well developed AI absolutely love exploiting niche edge conditions to do horrible things you would never want it to do against human players as a matter of course, and when you "fix" that exploit you have to redevelop a lot of the AI. Unless the game is very tightly designed, it will quickly expose every horrible flaw. Game devs don't like fixing exploits now, they certainly don't want to be FORCED to fix them!

Traditional AIs can be built, as much as they suck, to only play the game the way its "intended" to be played.

So yeah, the best you're gonna get is probably hobbyists like Keldon Jones building learning networks for fun to play relatively simple games in their spare time.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 21, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zurai posted:

Sure they are. You have dozens of cities, each of which have dozens of things they can do, including canceling the thing they were already doing to do something else. You have dozens of military units, each of which can move and attack in dozens of different ways on any given turn. Just the permutations on those with different sequencing is best expressed in scientific notation. That's without counting things like governments, techs, workers, etc.

Unlike Chess, the Civ AI absolutely cannot crunch through every possible reaction to its moves. There simply is no way to do it.

Yeah the number of possible moves might even be one of those numbers that if you were to store it in your head you would collapse into a black hole, like Graham's number, or TREE(3). Luckily that's impossible.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GlyphGryph posted:

Actually, "intuition" is probably the best description for what machine learning does. It absolutely does not, in most well developed system, pursue any "lines" when deciding whether something is a good move or not, it's usually pattern matching and state comparison. "These kinds of moves generally produce good outcomes in similar situations, so I'm going to do one of those"

Fair! I'll be the first to admit I know next to nothing about machine learning. It wasn't much of a thing when I was actively involved in computer science/programming, and I haven't kept up with developments as much as maybe I should have.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey, something I'm actually knowledgeable about! Machine learning is very very good at the sort of complexity you're describing, and no you don't need a human opponent or an existing AI to train them. 4x games would be a remarkably easy problem for adversarial networks to solve in fairly robust ways with modern design approaches. It doesn't even matter that games are particularly long (and they wouldn't be all that long for an AI) because any decent training network isn't going to be playing full games anyway.

Absolutely no one developing 4xs right now is likely to have the skill to do any of that, nor do they have any real incentive to gain or develop or them, because that involves a lot of work and technical know-how, but it wouldn't be particularly difficult to train an AI to play a 4x game well enough to completely outshine any human player, since they are complex enough you don't need to get anywhere near "optimal" play, you just need heuristics slightly better than the ones human use.

But who actually wants that? Do players care enough to make it worth the money to hire the talent or buy the hardware needed? Hell no, and most players would complain about the AI "cheating" if you bothered. This is video game development! If you can take a shortcut to avoid doing work the player can't see, that's what you're gonna do!

It's a fun thought experiment, and thanks for this post. I personally would not want to play against a super-AI. At least for me, the fun in 4X's is that there's a definite sense of progression, and your main "enemy" is the economic system and trying to snow-ball yourself to victory. It's also fun to hate on Miriam or the Sakkra, and trying to deal with their sub-optimal bullshit, but I see it more as keeping their filthy hands away from my stuff, which I need to make more stuff, and on and on. If the AI could just merk me every time no matter what I did, what's the actual game left there?

Or in other words, the real Skinner box in a 4X, in my view, is getting new techs, colonies, making more pixel mens, etc., rather than killing the AI's pixel mens. This is why these games try to have different winning conditions than "you must murder everybody", because the process of doing that is usually very tedious and uninteresting near the end of the process.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ardryn posted:

There's a video floating around youtube of all the projects back to back and if you take them with the tech quotes early on you see a lot of Miriam, but then she disappears midway or so through it and then re-appears near some endgame stuff like the self-aware colony (We Must Dissent) and the teleportation gate wondering if it remembers to transfer the soul as well. Just all around great writing that really made a ton of SMAC work despite the faults, technical restrictions, and gameplay weirdnesses.

I also love one early game quote that says "Einstein said that God does not play dice." and then a much later quote says "Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded."

I think you can kind of suss out a canon storyline based on the timing and context of the tech quotes. Miriam seems to be beaten early but become a resistance leader and then commit mass suicide with her followers by going through a teleportation gate with no programmed destination. Deirdre seems like the canonical winner with Zakharov as a junior partner and Morgan possibly as a vassal. Deirdre genocides the Spartans pretty early on with mindworms and Yang and Lal fade into irrelevance

There’s a GURPs rpg that goes into a lot of detail about the lore, including explaining what every tech means lorewise, which was pretty cool since you get to learn what the ones with really ambiguous names like “Will To Power” (transhumans become nietzchesian assholes to the normies which makes sociologists have to come up with a way to integrate them better) mean.

Also funnily enough you learn that there’s a bit of 90s end of history brainworms to the lore that wasn’t noticeable in the game, like how Deirdre’s green economy is Angela Merkel style carbon credits.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 21, 2023

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rappaport posted:

It's a fun thought experiment, and thanks for this post. I personally would not want to play against a super-AI. At least for me, the fun in 4X's is that there's a definite sense of progression, and your main "enemy" is the economic system and trying to snow-ball yourself to victory. It's also fun to hate on Miriam or the Sakkra, and trying to deal with their sub-optimal bullshit, but I see it more as keeping their filthy hands away from my stuff, which I need to make more stuff, and on and on. If the AI could just merk me every time no matter what I did, what's the actual game left there?

Or in other words, the real Skinner box in a 4X, in my view, is getting new techs, colonies, making more pixel mens, etc., rather than killing the AI's pixel mens. This is why these games try to have different winning conditions than "you must murder everybody", because the process of doing that is usually very tedious and uninteresting near the end of the process.

This is why I don't play 4x's much any more. A game like Factorio or Dyson Sphere Program will satisfy me just as well and have great endings instead of tedious ones.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Well if you HAVE the super-ai that plays the game perfectly you can then tune it down to something that the average player would want, and then adjust it further for different personalities and playstyles and so on. There's a ton of these in chess, from emulating different grandmasters to "Billy age 12 loves knights and frequently opens attacks with them, although by that same token he often overvalues them in trades"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

personality based ai with completely transparent behavior is a much better system even if it results in stupid or sub optimal decisions, because you can play around them, and mixing them in one game creates interesting and fun situations (sup ai war)

but this assumes you get your game to a place where the ai is competent in the first place by launch which, well *gestures at genre*

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

victrix posted:

personality based ai with completely transparent behavior is a much better system even if it results in stupid or sub optimal decisions, because you can play around them, and mixing them in one game creates interesting and fun situations (sup ai war)

but this assumes you get your game to a place where the ai is competent in the first place by launch which, well *gestures at genre*

This is key, coupled with providing the player with a strong and accurate sense of the AI's personality and priorities. SMAC succeeds in large part on this ground. If you're a good game player, you learn that you have to play the other players at least as much as the game, but while that's quite possible in a multi-human game, against AI it is not only harder, it is more likely that you're playing against bad tendencies in the coding instead of "personality" and exploiting flaws instead of playing on AI faction priorities. Asymmetric games and games with multiple winners could help address this problem: it's often fun to win a game cooperatively with other human players, but I've only encountered a handful of 4X games where an alliance victory seemed in any way satisfying, often because your "ally" proves to be useless or a liability.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022

Demiurge4 posted:

Coming in to play the black sheep because I picked up Distant Worlds 2 the other day and I hate that I can't micro hard enough!

I went into the pre-ftl start so I could goof around and meticulously manage my expansion down to the nitty gritty details but the game actively works against you on this through the auto refit mechanic. I had designed a small mining station and I figured that would go on deposits of rare materials because those are used in small amounts so I could just have a small stockpile, then I unlocked the medium station and made a design for that to go on gas giants and asteroid fields with lots of basic materials and POOF, all my mining stations everywhere auto refit themselves to the medium station design.

I ended up tuning it so that my designs will only upgrade into their own hull type but my next problem is that the construction ship UI doesn't allow for this, it will always highlight the biggest design on the UI and it's killing me. I want to play a tall empire with minimal sprawl that I can meticulously micro manage the but game is fighting me on it.

Completely in your boat, honestly why I’m sticking to DW:U until they get all the full manual stuff back , especially order queuing.

I like all those granular details.

idrismakesgames fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 21, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Maybe I'm missing something that's not included in the options, but - if you go to your Empire menu and view Policy Settings, does running down the side mashing "Manual" on every option not give you full control?

EDIT sorry for the quality on this, it's from a remote window back to my desktop at home, but:

There's actually a Preset Configuration for "None" automation. You can't really tell in the shot, but it scrolls and there are a LOT of options here - is there more being automated beyond these settings? I think some of the things you're wanting a direct hand over are under the "Construction" section.

I do believe the private sector stations and ships will always self upgrade though. Free enterprise, babyyy

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 21, 2023

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Squiggle posted:

Maybe I'm missing something that's not included in the options, but - if you go to your Empire menu and view Policy Settings, does running down the side mashing "Manual" on every option not give you full control?

EDIT sorry for the quality on this, it's from a remote window back to my desktop at home, but:

There's actually a Preset Configuration for "None" automation. You can't really tell in the shot, but it scrolls and there are a LOT of options here - is there more being automated beyond these settings? I think some of the things you're wanting a direct hand over are under the "Construction" section.

I do believe the private sector stations and ships will always self upgrade though. Free enterprise, babyyy

But then again, as long as you have building mining stations on manual, there's no real benefit to keeping some of them "small", the resource distribution seems to be a lot better than in 1, so local shortfalls aren't as much of a problem, and with manual builds you can avoid killing the private sector with maintenance costs from overbuilding.
Or maybe I'm just better at making sure civillian ships are well designed with a lot of fuel tanks and efficient hyperdrives so they don't run out of fuel constantly and kill the economy by extreme transit times of materials like I did when I was new in 1.

Pop management is still my main gripe, I want my planet pop policies to apply to newly settled planets dammit, don't fill up my one and only boskaran volcano planet with humans, I need my super troopers. :argh:
Also, let me set policies for undiscovered races, at least in subsequent games, I already know they're out there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey, something I'm actually knowledgeable about! Machine learning is very very good at the sort of complexity you're describing, and no you don't need a human opponent or an existing AI to train them. 4x games would be a remarkably easy problem for adversarial networks to solve in fairly robust ways with modern design approaches.

I’m surprised to see that nobody seems to have done anything with a 4X after AlphaStar solved SC2. I wonder why that hasn’t happened.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, good luck getting someone who knows anything meaningful about machine learning to work at a game company at all in the current environment, hah.

They’re already there, working on reward-cycle optimizations for IAPs.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Caconym posted:

Pop management is still my main gripe, I want my planet pop policies to apply to newly settled planets dammit, don't fill up my one and only boskaran volcano planet with humans, I need my super troopers. :argh:

I haven't played 2 since launch but this is supposed to have been fixed in this month's update?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I’m surprised to see that nobody seems to have done anything with a 4X after AlphaStar solved SC2. I wonder why that hasn’t happened.

It's expensive as gently caress and alphastar could only do 1v1s and crumbled under harassment (at the time; I can't find anything about it since then)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Deepmind's engineering payroll in a single year is probably also more than every indie 4x studio put together has paid its developers, ever, and that's before we even get into specialist silicon.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I think the whole "ai can't handle 1upt" thing tends to be exaggerated because of civ V/VI having much worse AI than civ IV across the board (not just in combat)

I haven't played a ton of it but the old world ai seems to handle 1upt combat fine

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Old world, if I recall correctly, also has a slightly larger tiles to units ratio, which makes 1upt easier to handle for everyone, but yes, the civ5 and civ6 AIs were plainly wretched.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Dont panzer general type games usually get away with it by having pre placed units on static maps? I imagine having to make a tactical AI for a procgen map for units that are actively produced becomes way tougher

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly the AI doesn't handle units very well in civ iv either, it's just that its failings are less noticeable (and outplaying the AI on that axis feels like you're skillfully using mechanics to your advantage rather than cheaply exploiting a bad AI).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyway it turns out that even mid-level Go players can pretty reliably beat top AIs by exploiting specific weaknesses in how they evaluate the position. If you tried to machine-learn up your own 4X AI, it would almost certainly have a similar blind spot - and now not only is there a single "optimal" way to play, you as the designer have absolutely no control over what it's going to be.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jabor posted:

Anyway it turns out that even mid-level Go players can pretty reliably beat top AIs by exploiting specific weaknesses in how they evaluate the position. If you tried to machine-learn up your own 4X AI, it would almost certainly have a similar blind spot - and now not only is there a single "optimal" way to play, you as the designer have absolutely no control over what it's going to be.

I wonder if you can make the game upload every single match to a server and train the AI on literally every player's strategy at the same time. Weight them after their results during the training or something to prioritize the good players, I'm not an AI expert.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jabor posted:

What are these weaknesses? I thought AlphaZero could beat the best Go players in the world every time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mzbundifund posted:

What are these weaknesses? I thought AlphaZero could beat the best Go players in the world every time.

https://goattack.far.ai/game-analysis#contents

Essentially, the AI misevaluates a situation that is very rare in "normal" play (a group that comes around and loops back on itself), but isn't difficult to set up by an opponent looking to exploit that weakness.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022

Squiggle posted:

Ill jump back in and see how it plays.

I think the limited ship builder and no order queueing really put me off for a good year, which I know are still not fixed. Also I was REALLY put off by the big full manual youtubers like larry monte and tortugapower CLEARLY being advised by Codeforce to play with the automation settings for their initial pre-release games. Made it clear the designers just had no interest in full manual play.

BUT if what you are saying is true and the updates have improved the game overall it may be worth jumping back in. They just soured me sooooo much at launch with their clear direction away from my style of play.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Dont panzer general type games usually get away with it by having pre placed units on static maps? I imagine having to make a tactical AI for a procgen map for units that are actively produced becomes way tougher

Yeah, so, over the years they've gotten better in the AI department but it's still very hit or miss. Part of it is that the prototypical Panzer General map is a race against time, that's the real challenge, you're trying to race and take the least amount of damage on your units, the pre-placed units thing isn't all that big a deal (PC2 started using a lot of randomized unit spawning in the yearly campaigns, for example).

The other big thing is, the maps in Panzer General/Panzer corps are wide open and large. Civ maps sometimes are, but they're made with the city building layer in mind as much as the combat one, which means the combat part of it is always going to be a bit unsatisfying.

Rappaport posted:

If you want to see an example of a game that is probably a lot less fun for most people with a super-AI, there's a Brutal-AI mod for OpenXCOM (a source port of the original X-com) that actually gives the aliens a pretty good AI, and it is absolutely murderous. There's no machine learning techniques used, it's purely algorithmic, but it is very deadly and efficient compared to the braindead original AI. I enjoy it, as someone who's already mastered the game, but if X-Com '93 shipped with Brutal-AI, people would have thrown it out the window.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 22, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think the whole "ai can't handle 1upt" thing tends to be exaggerated because of civ V/VI having much worse AI than civ IV across the board (not just in combat)

I haven't played a ton of it but the old world ai seems to handle 1upt combat fine

Old World's orders/movement system lets the AI rush whole armies straight onto your face, which made the task of effectively mounting attacks a lot easier.

In Civ the hardest thing to do is making attacks on cities. A player will queue up their attack force just out of range so they can rush as many units as possible into the assault at the same time. The Civ AI is real bad at that so it tends to suffer defeat in detail. In Old World its much easier for the AI because it can double move up on you.

Ultimately though Old World's AI is still trash at fighting players. Even moderate difficulties cheat shamelessly by giving them multiple starting cities, which has other design problems like wiping out the tribes extremely quickly.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 22, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jabor posted:

https://goattack.far.ai/game-analysis#contents

Essentially, the AI misevaluates a situation that is very rare in "normal" play (a group that comes around and loops back on itself), but isn't difficult to set up by an opponent looking to exploit that weakness.

That’s really interesting, thanks for the link.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I took out an aside about there being a lot of counters to stacks in SMAC.

But at the end of the day, unless your opponent has gone all in on bombers and artillery and is an actual peer... stacks work fine because you can use a couple defensively buffed units to screen to avoid ganks.

Basically tactical depth in SMAC is totally related to how evenly matched the participants are; which is good.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 22, 2023

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
SMAC isn't a great example because typical online players had so broken that game over their knee that land units weren't very relevant. Players began enforcing 20 tile No Mans Lands from their ities with suicide nerve gas units from about 2140.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In Civ the hardest thing to do is making attacks on cities. A player will queue up their attack force just out of range so they can rush as many units as possible into the assault at the same time. The Civ AI is real bad at that so it tends to suffer defeat in detail. In Old World its much easier for the AI because it can double move up on you.

Well, I think something that's interesting to consider in this context is that it's a very common refrain among players of Civ VI that they find barbs to be more of a challenge than the other civs, and while a large part of that is going to be down to the way that they will rush you down in the first few turns of every game, a lot of it is also that the barbarian AI is more willing to throw away units on the offence that the regular AI isn't. The tests Gort does or did with every patch back this up: the AI fails to take cities, even unresisted, because it will not commit to an assault.

I have a strong suspicion that the AI in that game would look a lot more capable militarily if it just weighted unit preservation a little less.

e: I'll also note that, like, I don't think I've seen the AI have trouble moving units around? It has difficulty keeping up economically- so it has fewer, worse units- and doesn't do as much damage as it could do with what it does have, but actually getting around the place hasn't seemed like a problem for it IME.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 22, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, I think something that's interesting to consider in this context is that it's a very common refrain among players of Civ VI that they find barbs to be more of a challenge than the other civs, and while a large part of that is going to be down to the way that they will rush you down in the first few turns of every game, a lot of it is also that the barbarian AI is more willing to throw away units on the offence that the regular AI isn't. The tests Gort does or did with every patch back this up: the AI fails to take cities, even unresisted, because it will not commit to an assault.

I have a strong suspicion that the AI in that game would look a lot more capable militarily if it just weighted unit preservation a little less.

e: I'll also note that, like, I don't think I've seen the AI have trouble moving units around? It has difficulty keeping up economically- so it has fewer, worse units- and doesn't do as much damage as it could do with what it does have, but actually getting around the place hasn't seemed like a problem for it IME.

it can get around but it doesn't really do a great job taking unit positioning into consideration, or say, structuring its armies so your cavalry can't just walk around its melee units to kill all the ranged units. Civ AI in particular is a long, long way from simply vulnerable to edge cases a player in the know can learn how to exploit, it's pretty much there as filler to make the world feel alive

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Even in the absence of 4X mechanics, AI for 1upt-type games is not so hot. Civ V/VI combat is so heavily influenced by Panzer General and its successors, which has never been a series/sub-genre of game with sharp AI. If you look at modern takes on Panzer-General-like light wargames, you generally have scripted-ish AI that feels very passive/responsive. The majority of the difficulty comes from external scenario limitations like hard turn limits, rather than crafty AI.

Unity of Command, which I gushed about in the grognard game thread recently, is the one exception I can think of to the "Bad AI in 1upt games" thing. There, though, the problem space is even more constrained. The AI is always on the defensive side, and there are still hard turn limits to the scenarios. I think the map editor also lets you provide significant hints to the AI.

Those are games with fixed maps and starting positions; whatever technical breakthrough is needed to give them good AI, it just hasn't been done yet in the beer-and-pretzels wargame space, AFAIK. Once you tack on the additional problems of large-scale strategy and empire optimization, well, poo poo.

It's such a bummer. I love Civ VI's systems so much. The more I play, the more I actually think I like the core design more than IV. I just get sad that the AI can't play in a meaningful way - so many baffling things happen on a given playthrough. The last game I played, my neighbor declared war on me. A few turns later, I discovered that they had a barb encampment like five tiles from their capital, and their territory was a hellscape of burnt farms.
---
Edit: oops, missed PG-Chat upthread. Sorry!

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 22, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

just cross your fingers and hope there's some up and coming devs who love 4x games but hate the current stagnation and we might see some new takes

now I'm trying to think if 4x is even a popular Kickstarter genre, I don't think it is, I can't think of many crowd funded ones

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We'll see what Age of Wonders 4 is like at the very least.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

my dad posted:

We'll see what Age of Wonders 4 is like at the very least.

anything promising from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Re: AOW4

there was an interesting discussion about the tactical AI in the AOW: Planetfall thread.

for instance telling the AI to highly value murdering heroes is probably correct on a strategic level, but its not much fun for the players, so thats something that was specifically toned down from AOW3 to AOWPF.

Games with separate tactical battle systems are always a bit finicky to balance for AI, because - dating back to Heroes of Might and Magic - players will strive mightily in tactical combat to never take any casualties. But the strategic AI simply has to take it on the chin with whatever results autoresolve gives them. And that's not something you can change a lot in AOW, because their autoresolve system literally plays out a battle; any improvements to tactical AI will always benefit both sides.