Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it’s unbalanced because they took two gimmicks and mashed them together, in a way they’ve never really done since.

It’s not that this scenario has a hard encounter deck, it’s that it’s essentially random whether or not you succeed at various turns unless you build for it specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My mate and I just did Return to the Night of the Zealot immediately after Path to Carcosa. Both on hard difficulty.

Our decks were insanely overpowered so we stomped it, but we've both taken so much mental trauma that we have max one sanity each. Still tempted to take Zoey on a third campaign. She was an absolute killing machine.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
My turn for some deck advice, we just did Innsmouth scenario 1 with my friend group who I have tempted into playing the game. We got 4 xp in that and the interlude, I'm playing as Trish with this deck https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2727443 and I found during scenario 1 that enemies very rarely spawned on my location, just variance of course but it meant I didn't really get to use my ability too often and I ended up with a lot of cash going unspent (an autofail on memory of oblivion wiped out my hand with 4 events in it at one point so that didn't help with things to spend money on).

With how Arkham works where the gimmicks of enemies in scenario 1 will quite often be out in force or enhanced further in, I'm potentially hesitant to invest too much in an evasion based strategy since the enemies doing testless damage/horror upon engaging ended up being the main stress on us along with treacheries.

I was thinking of either streetwise level 3 and maybe one copy of hiking boots replacing one lone wolf just to have something extra to spend cash on to pump those tests or two copies of pickpocketing level 2 replacing lone wolf to get extra card draw and/or resources from evading and just hoping someone else can deal with the enemies while they're evaded potentially. Or never if they aren't hunters obviously. Any thoughts? I have potential upgrades in the side deck but stuff outside those are fine too. 4 xp feels pretty stingy compared to some of the other campaigns I've done but we obviously missed some stuff and I've heard Innsmouth kinda limits your XP spending a bit but don't know the details so I figure I should probably spend this now to try and get more XP in the next scenario hopefully. Getting your deck going early doors to snowball feels pretty vital to me.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 5, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Scenario one of that campaign is much more aggressive than anything but scenario four. Who else is in your group?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Scenario one of that campaign is much more aggressive than anything but scenario four. Who else is in your group?

Roland Banks with a pretty standard fightery deck but with handcuffs and bolas too so he can certainly keep some folks exhausted and doom free pretty well. Me and him didn't get any enemies spawning on us unfortunately and we just had awkward timing all around cause when he really needed to kill stuff it was quite often on a clue free space. He has either me or the Wendy giving him money with crack the case or faustian bargain respectively if he needs it but he didn't really in that one.

Then we have a Wendy with a pretty oddball build that seem to be working fine so far, quite clue and evade focused but without much clue compression. Then finally a Preston with dark horse and fire axe and then a few clue getting things like intel report and look what I found to spend his copious amounts of money on when he isn't axing folks. He seems to want to get Lola as an ally which feels like it might be clue overkill to me, Delilah seems better for what we need but I'm not gonna backseat game somebody else's upgrades.

Feels like we have clue getting loving covered, I do worry we might just get ground down a bit or be unable to deal with the big boys if/when they show up, thinking of the equivalents of the 20 health goon in Echoes of the Past or the big guy in the basement in Blood in the Altar. We have a lot of soak, I'm probably the most fragile but the Roland does have Tetsuo Mori at the least and some healing in the hallowed mirror.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you have all the modern stuff, there’s plenty of ways to get big damage out of survivor. Chainsaw Wendy with a toolbelt is possible, fend off could be amazing.

I would focus on team movement, shortcut(2) and things like that. Along with hiding space you can get enemies on you only when you need them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lmao well I figured out why we’ve been doing so well at Path to Carcosa.

I lazily interpreted “remove all tablet, old one, and cultist token from the bag and replace them with tablet only” in the first scenario as “remove all special tokens from the bag and replace them with tablet only.” Since then I’ve been sort of idly like, huh, I wonder how you get skull tokens. I wonder why this campaign even has skull modifiers since there isn’t any way to get skulls. Maybe Jim has a way to create skulls?

There’s supposed to be three skulls in the bag for the entire campaign, and they’re supposed to serve as the baseline constant scenario difficulty alongside the one that gets rotated as you shift between conviction and doubt. If, like me, you pull the skulls out the first time the other ones leave, there’s just no mention of them ever again. Which is fine, it just took me until Dim Carcosa to figure it out lol

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They'd probably have only made you fail a few extra tests you passed I guess? It's usually on average like having a few extra minus 2s but they sometimes scale higher, one of the ones we did on the weekend in Carcosa was a -5 if we had a lot of doom in play.

Either way yeah, this game sometimes catches you out with stuff with all the things you have to pay attention to in setup and execution. I played through the Circle Undone a few weeks back and twice had to completely restart a scenario because when I came to flip an agenda, I realised from the instructions on the back not making any sense that I'd hosed up some aspect while playing them.

Speaking of Circle Undone... boy that's a tough one. I think each other campaign has had tougher individual scenarios or chunks of the campaign like the opening two of Forgotten Age, we found Echoes quite tough in Carcosa but I think we just got unlucky, Pit of Despair in Innsmouth is pretty rough and the one after seems hard to get lots of XP on too. Circle Undone though is just a lot of slightly hard scenarios that really push you to the limit I found. We lost in the finale cause in the final act we picked the wrong direction to go in at the start, the place we had to get to would have been the first one we reached if we'd picked going up... so we basically had a 50/50 shot of doing it and flipped the coin wrong. Not the worst feeling but not great ultimately.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Innsmouth two should really have a bonus XP for every interviewee in the Victory display. It’s likely the reason they don’t want this because those cards are used more than once and other scenarios have more XP.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Innsmouth two should really have a bonus XP for every interviewee in the Victory display. It’s likely the reason they don’t want this because those cards are used more than once and other scenarios have more XP.

Well then I guess you'd potentially have 13 xp available, a very difficult to get 13 xp but still. Might be too much.

We're midway through it, had to pause cause someone was too tired to keep playing. It's a bit awkward cause we're probably going to finish it either 40 minutes into our next session or we make the accusation correctly and it goes on a lot longer, so it's a bit hard to gauge how long the session will be. I think we might be on track to get maybe 2 xp from it unless things rapidly turn around. I've heard Innsmouth is pretty stingy up until you can spend your xp after the 4th scenario and then it becomes a lot more plentiful.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s theoretically possible to get all the XP, but it’s extremely extremely difficult because your odds get worse each time, and you get fewer clues as the scenario progresses.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

They'd probably have only made you fail a few extra tests you passed I guess? It's usually on average like having a few extra minus 2s but they sometimes scale higher, one of the ones we did on the weekend in Carcosa was a -5 if we had a lot of doom in play.

Either way yeah, this game sometimes catches you out with stuff with all the things you have to pay attention to in setup and execution. I played through the Circle Undone a few weeks back and twice had to completely restart a scenario because when I came to flip an agenda, I realised from the instructions on the back not making any sense that I'd hosed up some aspect while playing them.

Speaking of Circle Undone... boy that's a tough one. I think each other campaign has had tougher individual scenarios or chunks of the campaign like the opening two of Forgotten Age, we found Echoes quite tough in Carcosa but I think we just got unlucky, Pit of Despair in Innsmouth is pretty rough and the one after seems hard to get lots of XP on too. Circle Undone though is just a lot of slightly hard scenarios that really push you to the limit I found. We lost in the finale cause in the final act we picked the wrong direction to go in at the start, the place we had to get to would have been the first one we reached if we'd picked going up... so we basically had a 50/50 shot of doing it and flipped the coin wrong. Not the worst feeling but not great ultimately.

I also hosed up Circle Undone’s final scenario by accidentally mixing the cultists from Dark Cults in with the cultists from For the Greater Good or some other scenario, resulting in the doom-generating enemies just being absent from Before the Black Throne.

Honestly though, I find Circle Undone to be extremely difficult. The tempo demanded of the investigators is just brutal. For the Greater Good is far too demanding on the players’ timetable to have such a huge map, the one where you have to solve the ghosts’ personal grievances is really laborious and a little too luck-based, and the one with the rupture/incursion mechanic is super challenging to effectively counter.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
On interesting, see For the Greater Good is the one we hosed up a bit and had to restart but both times we found it relatively easy among all the others, we were doing it with being friendly to the lodge though, maybe that made it easier? Wages of Sin I was expecting to be awful based on it's reputation and it being similar to Shades of Suffering which I hated but also barely got to see cause it smashed us up so much, perhaps the comparison was in Wages of Sins favour cause we didn't hate it nearly as much as everyone else seems to.

Secret Name and yeah the one with the breaches were the real fuckers for us but all the others put a lot of pressure on you too. Then the finale of course but that does just feel like a coin flip loss for us. I'm fine with finales being a little bit arbitrary and tougher though I suppose, losing there feels thematic whereas with the other scenarios that can end the campaign you just go "drat, I guess I don't get to see the rest of it with this deck then..".

We found it to be the closest to old 2nd edition Arkham overall in terms of how much you had to pay attention to, things on the agenda, the treacheries in your threat area, enemies, haunted on locations and new encounter cards all referencing other things. So even the scenarios that were on the easier side, it still felt pretty taxing mentally.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
So, inspired by this thread, I played a few games of Arkham Horror LCG (thanks, thread!). I quickly found that it's a bit too much for me - I only get a chance to play late in the evening, and my brain's not really up to remembering all the rules interactions, piloting a deck or choosing the right upgrades post-game. However, I did pick up enough of the rules and strategies to follow along and enjoy the streamers and Youtubers who showcase the game.

I especially enjoyed the Youtuber "Phlip" who's been playing two-handed TTS with his friend Tao. They have interesting decks and playstyles - heck, they had a Lola Hayes deck in Path to Carcosa. Alas, all good things come to an end, and I've now gone through all of their Arkham videos.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good streamers or Youtubers who play Arkham Horror LCG in a way that's easy to follow, and actually know how to play the game / play something besides Night of the Zealot? Thanks!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

12Apr1961 posted:

So, inspired by this thread, I played a few games of Arkham Horror LCG (thanks, thread!). I quickly found that it's a bit too much for me - I only get a chance to play late in the evening, and my brain's not really up to remembering all the rules interactions, piloting a deck or choosing the right upgrades post-game. However, I did pick up enough of the rules and strategies to follow along and enjoy the streamers and Youtubers who showcase the game.

I especially enjoyed the Youtuber "Phlip" who's been playing two-handed TTS with his friend Tao. They have interesting decks and playstyles - heck, they had a Lola Hayes deck in Path to Carcosa. Alas, all good things come to an end, and I've now gone through all of their Arkham videos.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good streamers or Youtubers who play Arkham Horror LCG in a way that's easy to follow, and actually know how to play the game / play something besides Night of the Zealot? Thanks!

The channel PlayingBoardGames does a lot of Arkham LCG content.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
Team Covenant also has a whole series of lockdown-era Arkham playthroughs.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Yeah I think team covenant has done everything but scarlet keys and go over their builds and plans a lot. They are very long videos though especially if you watch the deckbuilding and setup and opening banter.

I didn't like playingboardgames as much though they know what they are doing more and have better builds for a wider range of characters and have a lot of tier lists and strategy or discussion videos. I found it harder to get into their games when I knew less about the game but I think I'd appreciate them more now having played a few times myself and watched about 2/3 of team covenant's stuff.

Rob's Gaming Table also has a few solo and with his wife but I haven't watched those yet, just some of his Frosthaven and other vids.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Team Covenant went really serious on their production value, they have a guy sitting and listening to them as they play, any time they mention a card, like, any card, that guy overlays a picture of it on the side so you can actually read and see what it does, it's really great for learning the collection and all the interactions

The team at Playingboardgames is very very good at the game and their listicle-type videos are great information, but watching their actual playthroughs is like watching a movie on an old CRT covered in vaseline from ten feet away, it's a very bad setup

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I’ve never watched them (or anyone) do a playthrough, but their concept intro and deck tutorial videos have taught me a lot about the game.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I want to search the arkham db card database for cards that have the text "test intellect (1)", does anyone know how to do that? Nothing that I tried seems to work.

I'm trying to find cards like Grey's Anatomy that have an easy test you are supposed to succeed by a lot on, to interact with Empirical Hypothesis.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's not perfect, but I got close with "x:test x: intellect" That gives you both every card that'll do an Intellect test and every card that modifies Intellect for a test.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Seems like there are very few assets with repeatable low difficulty tests. Grey's Anatomy, Alchemical Distiliation, Alchemical Transmutation, Feed the Mind, Research Notes, and Earthly Serenity are kind of all there is. And maybe Medical Texts.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

12Apr1961 posted:

Quick Learner. He's done a bunch of videos on gameplay tips, deckbuilding strategies, etc, and recently wrapped up a 2-handed solo playthrough of Dunwich Legacy. Today he put out a video of the first scenario in Carcosa. Very good presentation and solid understanding of the game rules and mechanics.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

They did a stream and revealed a card but I don't think they gave any info or context for it at all.

The most interesting thing about it is the 2024 copyright date...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Funny for Wendy to play the Louisiana Lion in dark horse.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Kalko posted:

The most interesting thing about it is the 2024 copyright date...

Maybe a January/Feburary release for new campaign, but we get repacked Circle Undone for the fall?

I can't figure for the life of me what that expansion logo is, it looks like a dinosaur footprint???

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A pokemon?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Thought about it for a bit more, the background building in that card art is screaming 1930s Miami Art Deco to me, so the logo could honestly be a mutant alligator clawprint

I for one will happily buy a hellworld Everglades expansion, so bring it on

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
they have already announced that the circle undone reprint gonna happen in june and july

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I figured it was either an ear of corn or like a plant monster mouth/face thing (like a triffid or whatever). Maybe a Mi-go or a Dark Young mouth with the tentacles? The new lead designer has been dropping hints on discord with things like corn, pies, a woman dancing round a maypole so I've been expecting an expansion to have a sort of midsommar/harvest festival kinda theme with Shub Niggurath as the ancient one as the next one.

The 2024 date is odd. I'm hoping it's like a ridiculously in advance preview of some other new style of product for next or next years actual set and we are still getting a standard investigator/campaign box in the fall this year. I think Circle Undone has already been confirmed for late summer so if they don't do a new one this fall it'd likely be a reprint of Dream Eaters at that point.

I guess it would be odd to be previewing a future thing that'd be coming out after this hopeful 2023 box, you generally preview the next thing coming, not the thing after it without announcing the thing in between but to me it'd be equally as odd to start hyping people up now if you know there's no new product coming out for another 8 months at minimum. Surely you'd just wait and make an announcement in the summer or something.

Interesting either way.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 23, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Starting a new Return to Dunwich campaign in a few weeks and looking to make a flex investigator for a team of three. Other players are a dedicated fighter Mark Harrigan and a Minh Thi Phan. Minh is carrying over as a legacy from a previous campaign, so she will have three horror trauma and lots of XP. However, her clue gathering is a bit anemic because her player tends to over-prioritize survivability vs performance.

So, I need a character that can defend himself while gathering clues. I was thinking of maybe running Roland for that, but I’ve never played red or green before, and Bob’s access to the best of both worlds sounded appealing.

I think I’m trying to do too much with this deck, is my concern. I’m trying to run a big money archetype for the purposes of protecting against Greed and financing recurring items with scavenging and potentially Professor Webb. When I get some XP, I want to spec him for running Luparas, but starting out his combat ability is a little lacking.

I think the most obvious fat to trim here is 21 or bust. It’s fun in concept but unreliable and I think I am over emphasizing economy and maybe unduly skimping on card draw, given that I’m eschewing two great options in rabbit foot and cigarette case.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Starting a new Return to Dunwich campaign in a few weeks and looking to make a flex investigator for a team of three. Other players are a dedicated fighter Mark Harrigan and a Minh Thi Phan. Minh is carrying over as a legacy from a previous campaign, so she will have three horror trauma and lots of XP. However, her clue gathering is a bit anemic because her player tends to over-prioritize survivability vs performance.

So, I need a character that can defend himself while gathering clues. I was thinking of maybe running Roland for that, but I’ve never played red or green before, and Bob’s access to the best of both worlds sounded appealing.

I think I’m trying to do too much with this deck, is my concern. I’m trying to run a big money archetype for the purposes of protecting against Greed and financing recurring items with scavenging and potentially Professor Webb. When I get some XP, I want to spec him for running Luparas, but starting out his combat ability is a little lacking.

I think the most obvious fat to trim here is 21 or bust. It’s fun in concept but unreliable and I think I am over emphasizing economy and maybe unduly skimping on card draw, given that I’m eschewing two great options in rabbit foot and cigarette case.

I'd cut Jury-Rig, Hit Me, Burglary (you won't have time to use this), and 21 or Bust for more assets. Flashlight is easily overlooked, but pretty good in level 0 Bob. Like Old Key Ring, it combos great with Lucky Cigarette Case on all those 1 and 2 shroud locations. It also combos with the amazing Shed a Light. A one-of Track Shoes is good, they give Bob movement and helps with survival against most enemies.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Dunwich is pretty stingy on XP as well so planning on a full spread of upgrades for both fighting and clue grabbing might get rough.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, we will probably handicap it to give +2XP per scenario.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I was also thinking the basic knife might be a viable option for Bob? 1 cost, play with the extra item action, burn it for +2 might/2 dmg and recur it later. Similar to Tennessee Sour Mash but you’re trading the mythos defense for a minor attack boost before it’s consumed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’ll be fine if Mark takes that card that absorbs all damage. Otherwise you guys have no way to mitigate through the veil.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

poo poo, I forgot about that. A Test Of Will is going in!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Minh can take Alter Fate level 1 to cancel it from play? Been using that in my very recent Dunwich replay on Rita. Then recur it with resourceful maybe?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Absolutely a good pick. And there’s a level one rogue card that Bob would probably want with two willpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How does this work in relation to enemy engagement? If a character moves into a location with an enemy, and that enemy engages them, can they then exhaust Gené to move that enemy to a connecting location, thereby disengaging them without a test or attack of opportunity?