Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Badger of Basra posted:

My personal EU5 wish is fewer provinces. There are way too many, especially ones that are IRL so not-notable they don’t even have Wikipedia pages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5dmxBUbzBU

Rynoto posted:

Speed 5 with regular pauses is the true path to warring.

This is the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Speed 5 and pause to give any/all inputs. EU4 is a turn based strategy game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Speed one and pause often. I don't wanna miss a thing

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Speed 3/4 normally, speed 2 during wars, speed 5 when there's nothing to do, pausing is for chumps.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Speed is also hardware-and-mod dependent. For example, when playing Anbennar I experience a noticeable difference in speed depending on whether I disable some of the regions or not. Likewise, while I find Voltaire's Nightmare (the even-HRE-Imperial-Abbeys-are-playable mod) a fascinating idea, it runs like molasses compared to vanilla or Anbennar.

I generally play on speed 5, turning it down to 4 for wars. But with fewer-regions Anbennar I sometimes play on 4 and 3 instead, since at that point an in-game month can pass in 1-2 seconds on speed 5.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Badger of Basra posted:

My personal EU5 wish is fewer provinces. There are way too many, especially ones that are IRL so not-notable they don’t even have Wikipedia pages

counter point: why have fewer when you could have more?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I play speed 5 with pausing, with speed 4 for wars. I think people who regularly play on speed 3 probably have spent a lot more time in multiplayer and aren't used to the luxury of frequent pausing

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
i find i enjoy the game more if time advances slower cause i can actually consider whats going on in the map instead of just fast forwarding a truce timer or w/e. it gives you more to do during a campaign

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like playing nice and careful but it also means I will never see past the second Age thing

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Speed 3 only, I'm way too busy to have it run faster.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

PittTheElder posted:

counter point: why have fewer when you could have more?

Voltaire's Nightmare was such a fun mod but it ran so bad.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

aardvaard posted:

I play speed 5 with pausing, with speed 4 for wars.

This is me, very occasionally dropping to speed 3 for tricky wars. I think whoever posted about hardware having a lot to do with it is probably right though, my PC is a little old and even speed 5 is only like 3-4 days a second once the game's out of the very early stages

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Hardware doesn't even help much in a big league war or a late coalition. Game engine seems to be maxed out. At least they did improve performance a couple of patches ago.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Wafflecopper posted:

This is me, very occasionally dropping to speed 3 for tricky wars. I think whoever posted about hardware having a lot to do with it is probably right though, my PC is a little old and even speed 5 is only like 3-4 days a second once the game's out of the very early stages

Definitely hardware, speed 5 for me is like 1 month every 4-6 seconds.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

On a similar note (they cast eu4 together), I like TheRedHawk

I watched some of his videos, and I wish he'd skip over warfare less. Like the Krakow video, he starts talking about how tricky the independence war with poland will be, mentions how he might have to try to maneuver around the polish armies, and then he abruptly jump cuts to him and hungary occupying all of poland. He didn't even bother saying how he did it. C'mon, man.

edit: Later in that same video, "Wow guys, Danzig popped out, but the Teutons beat them! I've never seen that before." Then why didn't you show it?! I get that he wants to keep the videos moving at a brisk pace, but he's really overzealous with the editing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 22, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It's always hard to find youtube EU4 videos on a sensible point on the spectrum between "50 hours of archived twitch stream, edits are for cowards" and "cut down to 20 minutes covered in memetic imagery".

On the less-edited side of that spectrum, I like Poiuymew's Anbennar stuff well enough, it was helpful when I was trying to learn the mod last year. They're still quite long, he basically just edits out some pauses from a regular playthrough. No webcam or twitch chat, he plays at what I think is a good level of fast-and-loose for video content and he's pretty good at the talking over gameplay part.

It's possible my habit of watching youtube videos at 2x speed impacts my opinion somewhat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I watched some of his videos, and I wish he'd skip over warfare less. Like the Krakow video, he starts talking about how tricky the independence war with poland will be, mentions how he might have to try to maneuver around the polish armies, and then he abruptly jump cuts to him and hungary occupying all of poland. He didn't even bother saying how he did it. C'mon, man.

edit: Later in that same video, "Wow guys, Danzig popped out, but the Teutons beat them! I've never seen that before." Then why didn't you show it?! I get that he wants to keep the videos moving at a brisk pace, but he's really overzealous with the editing.
Um, I would classify those things as... suspicious. Not saying he definitely is "cheating" and honestly I don't care if he is or not (the videos are for entertainment), but if he is and pretends not to that is kinda lovely. Even showing important wars very sped up would still give a gist of them and not take long at all. Nudging things behind the scenes to make the videos more interesting and dramatic is perfectly fine, just be honest about it. :shrug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol ok, ethics in eu4 youtube

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i doubt he's cheating. i just wish he'd show his work more. he doesn't have to meticulously show every army movement, but a supercut of pivotal moments during big wars would be nice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Um, I would classify those things as... suspicious. Not saying he definitely is "cheating" and honestly I don't care if he is or not (the videos are for entertainment), but if he is and pretends not to that is kinda lovely. Even showing important wars very sped up would still give a gist of them and not take long at all. Nudging things behind the scenes to make the videos more interesting and dramatic is perfectly fine, just be honest about it. :shrug:

[ ]Execute the Streamer!
[ ]Ignore Complaints

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Red Hawk's videos are like 80% comedy challenges.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched a couple of his vids and my criticism would be, he says "Boom" and "Just like that" a loooot

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

skasion posted:

[ ]Execute the Streamer!
[ ]Ignore Complaints

Fire the streamer, execute [NO STREAMER], rehire the streamer.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about all of history's monarchs who immediately disinherited their newborn child because they knew right away that the baby will grow up to be a lousy leader

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The Ancient Greeks would leave their newborns in the woods if they had like a lazy eye or something so it’s not that far from the truth

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Thinking about all of history's monarchs who immediately disinherited their newborn child because they knew right away that the baby will grow up to be a lousy leader

A system like CK where heirs gain stat points until the age of majority might be helpful here. No more tossing out 1/2/2 infants, make it a gamble to toss a 3/2/3 15 y/old.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did it, I've formed Verkal Dromak.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

A system like CK where heirs gain stat points until the age of majority might be helpful here. No more tossing out 1/2/2 infants, make it a gamble to toss a 3/2/3 15 y/old.

Yeah, I understand why it is the way it is, but I would prefer a system where you'd only know how good your heir is when they are of age, or at least close to it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Just dumb cheevo things.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Poil posted:

I'm pretty sure red hawk made a video about other youtubers cheating in achievement runs. Not that it makes him free of suspicion.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I did it, I've formed Verkal Dromak.

is that the beer dwarves? they're a wild ride

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't played this game since I got a 4K monitor last year. Man, the UI scaling is garbage, huh? Really makes you appreciate how much better it is in CK3 and Vicky 3.

Are there any mods that improve this?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

is that the beer dwarves? they're a wild ride

No, Verkal Dromak is the dream dwarves.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

I haven't played this game since I got a 4K monitor last year. Man, the UI scaling is garbage, huh? Really makes you appreciate how much better it is in CK3 and Vicky 3.

Are there any mods that improve this?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1095412287

The problem with UI mods is they will probably break when using other mods like Anbennar.

PDX games before Imperator have primitive UI scaling that is also sometimes buggy. It's more or less like since Imperator scaling works as if you're zooming in or out of web page, and before that it was like zooming into a static image. I was still using it when I played on 4k screen, it looks much better when you use font mods with simpler fonts like Century Gothic/Stellaris.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Now I want to know who the beer dwarves are!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1095412287

The problem with UI mods is they will probably break when using other mods like Anbennar.

PDX games before Imperator have primitive UI scaling that is also sometimes buggy. It's more or less like since Imperator scaling works as if you're zooming in or out of web page, and before that it was like zooming into a static image. I was still using it when I played on 4k screen, it looks much better when you use font mods with simpler fonts like Century Gothic/Stellaris.

Yeah, modern PDX games start with high-resolution UI assets and cleanly scales them down for people on lower scale values. Having a higher UI scale actually brings you closer to the source resolution of those assets and shows them in more detail. EU4 works backward by starting from a low-resolution source and blowing it up using what seems to be ugly bilinear filtering. What surprises me is that even the text is effected. I'd accept blurrier icons, but I would've thought that text could somehow be rendered natively at your chosen scale. Guess not.

I just tried that mod and it's a little better, maybe. I'm not sure. Text is still kinda blurry and pixelated. I almost feel like it would be better to run this game at 1080p and use Lossless Scaling or something.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

EU4 works backward by starting from a low-resolution source and blowing it up using what seems to be ugly bilinear filtering. What surprises me is that even the text is effected. I'd accept blurrier icons, but I would've thought that text could somehow be rendered natively at your chosen scale. Guess not.

I can tell you that's what they're doing. If you ask for 2x scale on your 4k screen the UI is rendered in 1080p and then it's quadrupled in size with a bilinear filter. Then all your mouse actions and dynamic UI elements like tooltips have their ordinates multiplied by 2 so that they correspond to the new UI position. I can tell you this is what happens because there were (and probably still are) numerous bugs in CK2, EU4, Stellaris and HoI4 when some elements of UI reacted as if your mouse is somewhere else, some tooltips were rendered in a place where they should be with no rendering etc. And fonts in those games are bitmap, basically an image, not True Type vector fonts you can resize. In Imperator, they clearly worked on UI rendering tech, which was probably one of the reasons they were able to completely replace UI. You can also look at Imperator resources and see it uses regular font files, you can replace them with whatever and thit will work just fine. In EU4 and other games of this era you have to go through the loops and the resulting font will often look wrong and misaligned, because UI is stitched together using this specific font.

EU4 is a great game and can probably be updated forever, but things like this UI rendering are probably there to stay, and it's only the most visible sign of old age.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TorakFade posted:

Now I want to know who the beer dwarves are!

Hul-az-krakazol, to the north of Rahen. You need to start as a specific human nation and not get smoked by the Command for like 50 years, and if you manage that you get the event to switch. Weird government form where you get rewarded with various local brews for getting specific provinces and your ruler is expected to chug them every few years until he maxes out their buffs or drinks himself to death

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

EU4 is a great game and can probably be updated forever, but things like this UI rendering are probably there to stay, and it's only the most visible sign of old age.

see, this is radicalizing me to "abandon EU4 and start on EU5" position if there's really nothing they can do to prevent it from looking like rear end on any modern display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You should do what I do, get a Steam Deck and play EU4 there.