Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Umbrellas for snow is the thing that always throws me. Never in a million years would I have imagined anyone doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, also, when we get up early in the morning (like, 7:00-8:00is), it seems like nobody is at the train stations; when we get out at like 9:00-10:00, there are a ton of salarymen that look like they're going to work; are the Japanese just not morning people?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Oh, also, when we get up early in the morning (like, 7:00-8:00is), it seems like nobody is at the train stations; when we get out at like 9:00-10:00, there are a ton of salarymen that look like they're going to work; are the Japanese just not morning people?

Need to state the station for this kind of comment. The closer you are to the business districts, the ‘later’ things will get busy.

Also, things generally aren’t as bad now as they used to be since many places allow some degree of remote working.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Grand Fromage posted:

Umbrellas for snow is the thing that always throws me. Never in a million years would I have imagined anyone doing that.

This is how we identify non-locals in Boston

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You mean fuckin tourists, ked.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

You mean fuckin tourists, ked.

I'm going to have to face up all the bad karma I've accumulated over silently cursing the tourists in Manhattan to get the gently caress out of the way or move loving faster you goddamn Iowa residents.

DO THEY NOT HAVE SIDEWALKS IN OMAHA, MIDGE?!

We're going to be in Shinjuku and I'm prepared for Penn Station at its worst, just as a baseline. I know it will be even worse than that, but I'm actually kinda stunned that most reports are that it's not too busy from 7-9. I'd expect it to be HUGE around then with people arriving for the megacorps.

Speaking of all the rain and mist, how much of it is foggy vs. just regular old London? I'm girding myself for full-on Blade Runner atmosphere to outweigh the "gently caress, it's raining on vacation" vibes

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

MJP posted:

We're going to be in Shinjuku and I'm prepared for Penn Station at its worst, just as a baseline. I know it will be even worse than that

It's honestly not anywhere near that bad

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's bad at like, 6-7PM on a Friday though

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah but penn station is a pit of despair 24/7

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When is the peak times? Would it have been busier even earlier in the day and you're only seeing the people with late starts or something?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Im thinking about getting a hotel this next visit that has connecting lockable doors between rooms, so that our families can share the space or have separate sleeping areas as we want. Does anyone know any hotels near major stations that have these? Been tough to search and I am just calling places on the phone.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Apparently the Japanese keyword to search for is コネクティングルーム, didn't know they even existed here.
Seems like Fresa Inn near Tamachi has rooms like this.
https://www.ikyu.com/biz/00080853/?acp=8&adc=1&lc=1&ppc=2&rc=1&si=1&st=1&top=information&topics_type=ROOM

Edit: doesn't look like there is a lot of space to just sit around and chill as a group though, based on the pics. Would probably be much easier to just get a suite plus a regular room on the same floor or something.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 19, 2023

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea, it's wild. I found they have words for hotel rooms where the bed is in a small separate sleeping room, and also suites with different unusual shapes. Truly a learning experience this trip.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Right now is not representative of the normal ebbs and flows of Tokyo, because it's graduation/moving season. The midday is heavier than usual because of young graduates taking advantage of two weeks of free time, plus people moving to Tokyo before school and new jobs start in April. People are also taking time off work for sakura viewing or last family trips before kiddo becomes an official adult.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Pre-COVID, the crush was always 6:30 until like 8:30, sometimes 9:00. This also depends on direction and line - a train I used to take south yo work was always ~1/3 full in the mornings, while heading north into Tokyo was absolutely rammed.

Gabriel Grub posted:

Right now is not representative of the normal ebbs and flows of Tokyo, because it's graduation/moving season. The midday is heavier than usual because of young graduates taking advantage of two weeks of free time, plus people moving to Tokyo before school and new jobs start in April.

Yep, universities down to daycares have had graduation ceremonies the last few weeks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Yep, universities down to daycares have had graduation ceremonies the last few weeks.

This explains why we've been seeing so many people in fancy robes.

Also why Asakusa was so much more crowded than I would have thought for a weekday morning.

The Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki was absolutely stellar.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

If you think that's good, wait until you try Osaka style, the far superior version of the two

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I forgot a very critical question which Google hasn't yet produced results for: has anyone sighted or know where one might sight custard filled melon pan? They used to sell it at Mitsuwa by us many years ago, but it's been gone for at least a decade.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Saw it at an Asakusa stand 2 days ago.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should have planned for more than one day at Nara. This place is incredible. That is all.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looking to plan a summer trip to Hokkaido/Sapporo at some point. Anything I should know about the area? I assume we'll need a car and should travel relatively light since it seems like outside of Sapporo we'll be changing hotels every day or two. Been to Japan a few times in the past but only the big areas with public transit (Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I meant to do some ryokan research before this upcoming trip but I don’t think this’ll be the year for a fancy ryokan stay. I want to dump a ton of money into the best experience but every time I price it out I invariably get sticker shock. Going to try for a few nights next year at reasonable prices.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Is it hard to get tickets the day of the game to see the Giants at Tokyo Dome? It would be to see them play the Carp in July on a Mon, Tues or Wed, and there's going to be 8-10 of us.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I dunno man. I am doing my first ryokan (today, actually) because I figured with the exchange rate, this is the cheapest chance I'll ever have.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning out my honeymoon and am looking at how to handle luggage while we're there. Is it better to use luggage forwarding services from within Tokyo? We're staying near Chiyoda City then heading to a ryokan in Gunma prefecture and then back to Disney Sea.

We're also taking a shinkansen to Osaka but I think I'd rather keep it with us for that far a trip.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I'm planning out my honeymoon and am looking at how to handle luggage while we're there. Is it better to use luggage forwarding services from within Tokyo? We're staying near Chiyoda City then heading to a ryokan in Gunma prefecture and then back to Disney Sea.

We're also taking a shinkansen to Osaka but I think I'd rather keep it with us for that far a trip.

The concierges at the hotels forwarded ours between Tokyo and Osaka and then back again for about $25 total each time.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

The concierges at the hotels forwarded ours between Tokyo and Osaka and then back again for about $25 total each time.

Same day delivery?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Same day delivery?

No, we had to drop luggage off before noon or 3pm to have it there the next day when we checked in.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s the cheapest rate in the world and great service. For some places or even between Tokyo and Osaka 6am drop off is 3pm delivery

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Wonton posted:

It’s the cheapest rate in the world and great service. For some places or even between Tokyo and Osaka 6am drop off is 3pm delivery

Yeah, I think I saw you mention doing that ITT, which made me look into it, so thanks for that, it really worked out great. So much less stress trying to drag massive suitcases through public transportation.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

Should have planned for more than one day at Nara. This place is incredible. That is all.

What’s so remarkable about it?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

Is it hard to get tickets the day of the game to see the Giants at Tokyo Dome? It would be to see them play the Carp in July on a Mon, Tues or Wed, and there's going to be 8-10 of us.

Have you checked the calendar? Until at least a couple years ago, they didn’t have games on Mondays. Also check if it’s the Marine Day holiday Monday or not, because that’s more likely to sell out.

Otherwise it’s fairly straightforward…until you say 8-10 people. Then it might be best to plan ahead (those tickets likely going on sale soon through May) or rock up day of knowing you’re taking a risk.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
If it's a weekday, non-holiday game, you don't necessarily have to snap up the tickets quickly, but there's no reason not to buy the tickets in advance at a convenience store as soon as you get a chance.

I'm sure the convenience store staff will help you navigate the menus if you are able to show them exactly what game you are trying to attend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mailing luggage is good. Costs next to nothing, you send it in the morning and it shows up the next day. Had a couple issues but none of the "my suitcase has vanished forever" variety.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crampy Grampaw posted:

What’s so remarkable about it?

I really liked the temples, and the museums we went to; we skipped a couple of temples, the treasure hall, and the sake brewery, would have been nice to have another day. We really liked the Buddhist sculpture museum, and Todaiji temple was so loving impressive.

We went from Tokyo, where we had a small but not-too-small room with, like, zero amenities to Nara where we spent one night in an upscale Ryokan with two baths, to Kyoto where we have a room that is just barely big enough for three people (like, we have to keep our luggage under the beds tiny), but has a nice lounge with free booze every weeknight and a public bath.

I already miss Tokyo; the sidewalks and trains in Kyoto aren't nearly as nice.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

I really am enjoying Kochi

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

mongolia posted:

I really am enjoying Kochi

Please be careful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno man. I am doing my first ryokan (today, actually) because I figured with the exchange rate, this is the cheapest chance I'll ever have.

This will haunt me going forward. I’d reconsider except I’ve already booked a stay for every night and I guess eating one night of a cheap hotel isn’t that bad, but eh.. I guess I can save it for next time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Takamatsu is still looking a little light on things to do. I’m thinking for our days we stay in Takamatsu (about 6 or 7), we do a couple themed days:

- Nature Day: Ritsurin Garden, Megijima, ?
- Sights Day: Art Islands (Naoshima, and Teshima maybe), ?

We already have a couple days planned that look like this:

- Shiromineji-Negoroji Hike (dad declined the Yashima hike)
- Okuboji-Ryozenji Hike (to watch pilgrims finishing their pilgrimage)

And then a general thought of seeing Shodoshima at some point, but that’s about it. Kiiiinda not sure what else to do. Since we return the car a few days before leaving, we could theoretically take some public transport to other places, but the hours might be tough.

Pity that that Japan doesn’t get the Mario movie until late April, I was gonna drag my dad along to go see it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

If you don’t mind getting up early, you can take a day trip to Kochi if you’d like. It takes about two hours on train but if you have the JR rail pass, it might be enjoyable.

The train ride is beautiful and the big sites of Kochi City are close to each other so it is very walkable.
It’s a good day trip where you can see Kochi Castle, have lunch, visit a museum, and go back to Takamatsu.

I’m sure there are other solutions in the area but Kochi is just what I know.