Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't know if that's even necessarily true for a given match if it turns out you can get people from such a wide variety of mmr on your team, right?

Nah, the character they're best at is the character they're best at regardless of where they are. They just might get punished harder or less depending on how good the opponents are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

you have to understand if we get ranked mh we might discover new heights of Being Mad At Video Games. its for science

Just because nobody else mentioned it... do you realize ranked MH is coming out tomorrow?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
no and im so happy thank you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i managed to rank higher in dps than i did support or tank solely on the back of ow1 mystery heroes so even though it has balance issues with the tank changes it is firmly my favourite game mode atm

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bastion being much tankier that some of the Tanks in Mystery Heroes is pretty funny.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've decided to only play Roadhog

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

verbal enema posted:

I've decided to only play Roadhog

If you enjoy suffering and punishment you can just pay someone to do that to you.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Doomfist is pretty sad in non-role queue modes.
Old style hp, new style DPS.
Just so ineffective and melty.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Issaries posted:

Doomfist is pretty sad in non-role queue modes.
Old style hp, new style DPS.
Just so ineffective and melty.

Yeah Bastion is more tanky lol

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Feel like I'm going to need ranked mystery heroes to settle a bit because holy poo poo it's never more apparent when people don't understand fundamentals, like using corners or not just unloading into the tank and ignoring your roles.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

Feel like I'm going to need ranked mystery heroes to settle a bit because holy poo poo it's never more apparent when people don't understand fundamentals, like using corners or not just unloading into the tank and ignoring your roles.

Why not reap the benefits of the other team doing it?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think Mystery Heroes with role queue would very much be my jam.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yeah thats why rank resets are a really bad idea lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played a few Comp Mystery Heroes matches with a friend until we got placed. For some reason I got a slightly higher rank than he did.

Either the Comp Mystery Heroes MMR based on MRR of some other gamemode, or it looks at your performance (which they said that their system doesn't do).

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Jack Trades posted:

Played a few Comp Mystery Heroes matches with a friend until we got placed. For some reason I got a slightly higher rank than he did.

Either the Comp Mystery Heroes MMR based on MRR of some other gamemode, or it looks at your performance (which they said that their system doesn't do).

It aint that complicated. Your MMR from other modes is your starting mystery MMR until you play enough games for your mystery MMR to diverge. Also, if either of you had played mystery in OW1, it’ll be pulling your mmr from those games too. I’ve played enough mystery in OW1 that I run into the same people all the time now (eg Hobbigitty who has tons of hours invested and plays a nasty Torb when he lucks into it).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

headcase posted:

Why not reap the benefits of the other team doing it?

Because it's a ranked mode that doesn't have a settled MMR so there's incredible volatility on top of an already volatile mode. I had great performances but no wins and eventually that gets frustrating, hence the "let it settle".

I'm sure if I was better I could carry the team kicking and screaming but I literally did that in one game, acing the enemy team to solo push the payload and win and then someone quit and I had to switch to defense 4v5 (which we tied, then went to OT where we lost after like a 35 minute game).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

2 out of 8 matches i played of mystery heroes comp had people on my team leave

one match a guy would just go feed whenever he got support

i think i'm done with it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man do not sleep on Zens kick it is so good

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Man do not sleep on Zens kick it is so good

They should have it ignore tank knock back protection because it's fun to punt them away.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I swear I can feel it when a streamer puts out some new buzzword or instruction video. I've had 3ish Anas in the past day all sit as far back as possible and constantly yell at me if I go past any corners and yell corners nonstop. WE WERE ON ATTACK like at some point I have to press W.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

socialsecurity posted:

I swear I can feel it when a streamer puts out some new buzzword or instruction video. I've had 3ish Anas in the past day all sit as far back as possible and constantly yell at me if I go past any corners and yell corners nonstop. WE WERE ON ATTACK like at some point I have to press W.

I think this comes down to low rank Ana’s not being aggressive enough. Adopt a slower more positional playstyle when possible (eg Sigma on payload maps or something), and encourage them to snipe/grenade/sleep priority targets more actively. This will naturally force them forwards because they have less to heal when you’re playing.

There are also a lot of tough maps for Ana due to sightline issues where they’re better off swapping for parts (or the entirety) of the map, which may be driving some of their LOS issues.

If you want more specific feedback, post a replay code or give us more details on the map + team comps etc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Inept posted:

2 out of 8 matches i played of mystery heroes comp had people on my team leave

one match a guy would just go feed whenever he got support

i think i'm done with it

If I learned anything from this thread is that the invisible hand of the free matchmaker will give everyone whatever they deserve.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My comp queue times have doubled (15-20 minutes) starting yesterday, was hoping they tightened the matchmaker more, but match quality has not improved. Still a huge range of players and always a steamroll win or a steamroll loss.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There a discord people are still playing this on? I'm hedging on goons being slightly less sadistic then the average rando.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Absolutely not, tbh. Even on goon servers I had to find a small group of people that really gel'd with me. Being a goon doesn't make you less insufferable than a pubby.

Anyone who's talked to me knows that :v:

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
https://youtube.com/shorts/6wLmZbicbas

And this doesn’t even take into account people being tilted/warming up/tired/under the influence.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Proven posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/6wLmZbicbas

And this doesn’t even take into account people being tilted/warming up/tired/under the influence.

Except the coin doesn't adjust it's probability after every flip and the matchmaker supposedly does, which would change the math completely.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Except the coin doesn't adjust it's probability after every flip and the matchmaker supposedly does, which would change the math completely.

The mm will also routinely match "close enough" which can lead less than 50/50 matches as a threshold, which is the actual complaint I'm making.

Lots of QP variance is probably tied to close enough MM and the huge swings in skill experienced as players play off of their mains or rotate back onto them. That's always been a problem since character picks take place after matchmaking. It's less common in ranked, I assume, because players are locking on their most competent champs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxu0ik3Vlf8

90 minute interview with the devs about matchmaking.
The one streamer guy is very annoying when he opens his mouth but the questions are pretty good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pretty shocked they haven't shown the new character given the next season starts in 3 weeks and the other new characters were shown off a month before their respective patches.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Countblanc posted:

Pretty shocked they haven't shown the new character given the next season starts in 3 weeks and the other new characters were shown off a month before their respective patches.

Maybe the new hero is the friends we made along the way

But you might be onto something.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Countblanc posted:

Also they said they would be talking about PvE in Q1 of 2023. We're due for a few discussions!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Father Wendigo posted:

Also they said they would be talking about PvE in Q1 of 2023. We're due for a few discussions!

They're gonna cancel it mark my words

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Countblanc posted:

I bet they show it during OWL Pro-Ams on thursday

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
No way PvE is ever coming out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pattonesque posted:

I bet they show it during OWL Pro-Ams on thursday

That seems likely, didn't realize an event was happening

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Countblanc posted:

That seems likely, didn't realize an event was happening

It's all right, they didn't realize an event was coming either :haw:

https://twitter.com/Proto_VI/status/1638282596151971843?t=mc9UEqfYjOEvGjA0xiygww&s=19

Voice lines from the new Pachimarchi event mode

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So many sad dickheads 3-stacking the new gimmick mode and acting like they're good for running broken comps and pubstomping. Gamers make me sick sometimes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

im dual queuing this with my fiance as lucio moira and we dominate whenever the other person gets the message and picks a brawly character. i assume thats kind of the broken comp because i havent seen much else that holds up. most dps are bad imo but mei and reaper seem ok. rein was top tier but then the other team picked rein and caught up and our rein immediately switched to rammatra bless him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I played for about an hour last night and got all of the challenges done. Only lost 1 round. Like you say I played reaper, rein, brig, and lucio actually won a few on ana.

Actually the one I lost was to a widow that was keeping pace, and then he switched to hanzo and countered the gently caress out of my reaper. I couldn't hang at all. I didn't even know who to switch to on DPS. Probably should have just gone winston, but I didn't realize you could pick 2 of the same class.