Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Adaptive transparency is the marketing term that Apple applies for the improvements they made to transparency mode from gen 1 to gen 2 of AirPods Pro. I haven't touched the settings to customize transparency mode yet, and haven't felt the need to.

On APP1, transparency mode just used the microphones to pump in outside noise. On APP2, transparency mode amplifies outside noises to the same volume levels as whatever music you're playing. APP2 also tries to reduce peaks, such as a jackhammer, to about 85 dB in transparency mode. Transparency mode sounds even more natural with APP2, and APP1's transparency mode was already best-in-class. It's the biggest improvement APP2 offers over APP1.

Oh, thanks, that's useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rookoo posted:

EPOS H6PRO Closed SebringH6PRO Closed Sebring https://amzn.eu/d/ci6DDUH

I have two sets of these one for the PC and one for the consoles and I love love love them but! They sound great and I love the mic on it which also gives great voice quality.

I got them from the Amazon warehouse for like $100. They are fantastic at that price imo. I’d probably be a bit more iffy at the full asking price of $150 (ish).

It looks like they have a set for £48 in the warehouse and that’s a very solid deal imo. They are absolutely worth that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one of the funniest things in audiophile circles is the number of people who will decry trying to measure quality by "objective measurements" and then say poo poo like "do you really think a $500 turntable sounds even close to as good as a $8000 turntable???"

While this phenomenon is not exclusive to the world of audio, there are a lot of people in audio who think their opinion is worth more because they're rich, and/or don't take people who aren't willing to throw down $1K for a headphone seriously.

Helter Skelter posted:

:hmmyes:

Way back in 2004 I went to a local head-fi meetup and had a chance to demo a bunch of wildly expensive kit, including a Sennheiser HE90.

I had recently purchased a set of HD595s that I brought along with me, and came away quite happy with my $200 purchase compared to a lot of other stuff costing 10 times as much. I only just replaced the HD595s a couple months ago (got a screaming deal on the ATH-R70x, which I am very happy with).

Electrostatics are definitely on the menu if I ever win the lottery though, because hot drat the Orpheus sounded incredible.

Headphone tunings get weirder the more money you spend. There's a shocking amount of expensive headphones I listened to at an audio show this year that I wouldn't take my KPH30i with Yaxi pads ($30) over.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Helter Skelter posted:

:hmmyes:

Way back in 2004 I went to a local head-fi meetup and had a chance to demo a bunch of wildly expensive kit, including a Sennheiser HE90.

I had recently purchased a set of HD595s that I brought along with me, and came away quite happy with my $200 purchase compared to a lot of other stuff costing 10 times as much. I only just replaced the HD595s a couple months ago (got a screaming deal on the ATH-R70x, which I am very happy with).

Electrostatics are definitely on the menu if I ever win the lottery though, because hot drat the Orpheus sounded incredible.

Drop needs to bring back their KOSS electrostat collab that was like $350 by the end of its run

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm finally gonna get some DT-880/600ohm. I've had 770s and 990s forever, I dunno why I didn't just try 'em already (I guess I was fine with what I had, and the price to satisfy that curiosity used to be a lot higher for 'em) - but in 2023 I'm gonna see what this headphone that most of the R&D was probably done by 1980 sounds like. I remember back in the 2000s looking between these and HD-650s, I think they were like $400 or more back then.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 20, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Godzilla07 posted:

Headphone tunings get weirder the more money you spend. There's a shocking amount of expensive headphones I listened to at an audio show this year that I wouldn't take my KPH30i with Yaxi pads ($30) over.

There's no headphones I'm gonna take over my $300 iLoud speakers

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I finally got some beige kph30is and put some of those knockoff grado pads on it. They're so light it's incredible, dog ugly with the grado pads on, and they sound great. I'm glad you all stumped so hard for them because they're a lot of fun.
I have now completed the main internet "these are dirt cheap and sound amazing" trifecta with these, the Blon bl-03s, and the Status Audio CB-1s and all are great for the price for different reasons.

Semi-related, is there a good way to loosen up the cable on these? It's very kinked from the way they packaged them and I can't seem to get them to straighten out, the thicker part that runs from the y-splitter to the plug is pretty stiff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I finally got some beige kph30is and put some of those knockoff grado pads on it. They're so light it's incredible, dog ugly with the grado pads on, and they sound great. I'm glad you all stumped so hard for them because they're a lot of fun.
I have now completed the main internet "these are dirt cheap and sound amazing" trifecta with these, the Blon bl-03s, and the Status Audio CB-1s and all are great for the price for different reasons.

Semi-related, is there a good way to loosen up the cable on these? It's very kinked from the way they packaged them and I can't seem to get them to straighten out, the thicker part that runs from the y-splitter to the plug is pretty stiff.

hold the cable vertical and hit it with the blast from a car heater or hair dryer on low

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

The Grumbles posted:

People seem to really love those sony earbuds, and that's a very good discount.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Ended up picking up the Sony XM4's since they have much better battery life than the Samsung Buds.

Was a bit surprised that the tips are foam instead of silicone, anyone know how long they're likely to last?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Ended up picking up the Sony XM4's since they have much better battery life than the Samsung Buds.

Was a bit surprised that the tips are foam instead of silicone, anyone know how long they're likely to last?

I have foam tips on my XM3’s and they’re still good after more than two years of daily use

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think Sony's official word is they're supposed to be good for at least a year.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I just got my first pair of nice ear buds with the soft pokey tips and was surprised at how much chatter there is online about 3rd party options so it shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to customize them how you want

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

The Grumbles posted:

I just got my first pair of nice ear buds with the soft pokey tips and was surprised at how much chatter there is online about 3rd party options so it shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to customize them how you want

Comply makes a few for them, they’re excellent, if maybe not the longest lasting. I figure it’s probably better to replace them once or twice a year just to have something comfy and not grody

Also my pair is starting to poo poo the bed, phantom taps detected on one bud, dying battery on the other. Sonys going to replace but I have to ship these back first which is mildly irritating.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i need to brutally destroy Sony for having two extremely popular products which are both called "XM4"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Xposting from the Xbox thread. Maybe you folks can help me out with an unusual audio situation that I feel might be impossible to solve.

I get together with a group of friends in real life for a gaming night. Four TV's, four Xboxes, single room. Thing is, we also play online with the rest of the group.

This hasn't worked very well as far as sound is concerned. We need headsets to talk to the remote people, but we also need to be able to talk to one another in person. Since we're in the same room, party chat in the headphones isn't great for the in-person crowd - we hear one another speak/yell irl and then a second later through party chat. So we muted each other in chat BUT now we couldn't hear each other well. This has led to a room full of grown-rear end adults using headsets lopsided with one ear uncovered. This kind of sucks because now the game sounds like poo poo and it's uncomfortable.

What is the solution here?

Things we've tried or thought of and shot down:

• Plugging wireless headsets that have a transparency mode into the controller using an audio cable. This would have been great; it's a perfect solution on mobile. It didn't work because every single pair of wireless headphones on the market that has a 3.5mm connection option will not turn on while using it, as far as I've seen. Sure, audio plays and may even sound good but mics don't work (without a mic-in cable anyway) but more importantly features like transparency mode aren't available.
  • Using the Skull & Co. Audiobox to jerryrig Bluetooth support into the $500 modern piece of hardware. No dice because the audiobox bafflingly doesn't support audio input over Bluetooth. Sure, it has its own mic but it is so awful it shouldn't be used by a human in any circumstances. Unusable.
  • Having half a dozen people buy the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless. Yeah it has a transparency mode but there is no way we're going to spend just shy of two grand, especially for a headset that is astronomically overpriced for its quality.

Any ideas?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Xposting from the Xbox thread. Maybe you folks can help me out with an unusual audio situation that I feel might be impossible to solve.

I get together with a group of friends in real life for a gaming night. Four TV's, four Xboxes, single room. Thing is, we also play online with the rest of the group.

This hasn't worked very well as far as sound is concerned. We need headsets to talk to the remote people, but we also need to be able to talk to one another in person. Since we're in the same room, party chat in the headphones isn't great for the in-person crowd - we hear one another speak/yell irl and then a second later through party chat. So we muted each other in chat BUT now we couldn't hear each other well. This has led to a room full of grown-rear end adults using headsets lopsided with one ear uncovered. This kind of sucks because now the game sounds like poo poo and it's uncomfortable.

• Plugging wireless headsets that have a transparency mode into the controller using an audio cable. This would have been great; it's a perfect solution on mobile. It didn't work because every single pair of wireless headphones on the market that has a 3.5mm connection option will not turn on while using it, as far as I've seen. Sure, audio plays and may even sound good but mics don't work (without a mic-in cable anyway) but more importantly features like transparency mode aren't available.
  • Using the Skull & Co. Audiobox to jerryrig Bluetooth support into the $500 modern piece of hardware. No dice because the audiobox bafflingly doesn't support audio input over Bluetooth. Sure, it has its own mic but it is so awful it shouldn't be used by a human in any circumstances. Unusable.
  • Having half a dozen people buy the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless. Yeah it has a transparency mode but there is no way we're going to spend just shy of two grand, especially for a headset that is astronomically overpriced for its quality.

Any ideas?

Maybe some affordable open-back headphone with detachable cable and some sort of cable with a boom mic built-in?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

DT-880 / 600ohm are making a seriously strong first impression. I can't say I wish I'd got them to begin with over my trusty 650s back when they were both over $400; I do love the Sennheiser house sound (HD-650 remain one of the most pleasing phones to listen to that I've ever had). But I'm definitely glad I got them now. You can get them for under $170 pretty reliably if you just look out for deals, even cheaper if refurb doesn't bug you. They definitely love an amp. Resolution of fine details and low frequency control is way better on these than my 250ohm 770s as expected given those are closed and given the 250ohm drivers' differing impulse response, and while my 250ohm 990s do better than the 770s since they're open, there's a pronounced improvement in bass quality here whereas the 990 can overwhelm with quantity and be a bit spiky in the treble freqs too. These 880/600 do have some treble emphasis but it is nowhere near as aggressive and their sound overall is nicely balanced (for my personal tastes, of course). Super comfy, too.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 21, 2023

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Any ideas?

Are you using some external program for audio or purely in-game? If it's external, could you mic the whole room with an appropriate device (conference calling box? condenser mic? Not sure on the details yet), and have that device join the chat and be the only thing in the room sending audio?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are you using some external program for audio or purely in-game? If it's external, could you mic the whole room with an appropriate device (conference calling box? condenser mic? Not sure on the details yet), and have that device join the chat and be the only thing in the room sending audio?

The mic isn't the problem really; it's one-strapping our headphones to hear one another clearly in person. I do have an unreasonably expensive omnidirectional mic from work but I feel like that would just lead to the same outcome, unfortunately

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

The mic isn't the problem really; it's one-strapping our headphones to hear one another clearly in person. I do have an unreasonably expensive omnidirectional mic from work but I feel like that would just lead to the same outcome, unfortunately

Double-down on my earlier notion! Put the remote people on speakers so everyone can hear, nobody wear headphones. Yeah, I'll show up in the headphones thread and say "don't wear headphones," what of it? :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Double-down on my earlier notion! Put the remote people on speakers so everyone can hear, nobody wear headphones. Yeah, I'll show up in the headphones thread and say "don't wear headphones," what of it? :)

Yeah buy a conference room speakerphone

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Speakers won't work unless they're all willing to get the same game sound stream.

I think there aren't any solutions short of going really crazy with a mixer and a monitor mix and even then you need to route the audio from the consoles and the mics to the mixer, so ultimately it's also going to be like a whole bunch of channels and cables, at that point you're pretty much making an entire studio setup.

Maybe going the other direction from transparency and getting headphones with more isolation could maybe mitigate some of that 'hearing each other locally' factor. Maybe there are also some more flexible solutions possible using third party voice apps but I think that as long as the console is the source for the game audio here you're kinda screwed.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Manager Hoyden posted:

Any ideas?

eSports players use a combination of both headphones and IEMs under the headphones. Maybe that would work for you? Then everyone will just use voice chat

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Manager Hoyden posted:

Any ideas?

Don't worry about transparency modes, mix your mics into the headsets. What you're describing is basically a live monitor setup for a concert, and it might take some confusing routing to make it work but it's entirely doable. Look at cheap or prosumer headphone distribution setups, behringer is a decent brand to start with.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think there aren't any solutions short of going really crazy with a mixer and a monitor mix and even then you need to route the audio from the consoles and the mics to the mixer, so ultimately it's also going to be like a whole bunch of channels and cables, at that point you're pretty much making an entire studio setup.

Maybe going the other direction from transparency and getting headphones with more isolation could maybe mitigate some of that 'hearing each other locally' factor. Maybe there are also some more flexible solutions possible using third party voice apps but I think that as long as the console is the source for the game audio here you're kinda screwed.

basically this, but much less fatalistic because it'll be confusing at first to set up but not that expensive ultimately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Xbox has some level of Discord voice chat support now, I haven't really used it but maybe that might help where the remote players could get on that and the local players could just have a computer in the middle of the room with an omnidirectional mic hooked up.

One of my friend groups has PC LANs every now and then and that's what we do, there's a laptop set up as a hot mic in the global voice channel and then local players just mute or lower the volume of that user to their preference.

There's no great solution to the lag between someone speaking in the same room and hearing them over voice chat though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wolrah posted:

There's no great solution to the lag between someone speaking in the same room and hearing them over voice chat though.

yah there is, just mix their local feed back into the headphones rather than monitoring the discord.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yah there is, just mix their local feed back into the headphones rather than monitoring the discord.
Easier said than done when most players are using standard gamer style USB wireless headsets. Even the couple of people who use analog wired headphones still have USB mics

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

In my experience the latency added by the app is considerable, so you need really good isolation for this not to be a serious nuisance. Or, I guess, just mind it less than I do.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Simgot EA500. Massive rec from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRSDIgZo7s

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Man these DT-880/600 have me remembering why I loved the Beyer sound back when I tried them in the '00s. Old flagships may not have the measurements that wow headphone lovers today but they still sound great to me.

I went ahead and got a set of DT-990/600ohm also. I loved DT-990 when mine were new but the years have been harder on them than my other headphones as they were so favored I kinda wore 'em out. I've refurbished them best I can, new pads, stabilized some wear in the cable strain relief that had become loose, worried me with those small wires but I've got it set now so it and they can't move, gave 'em to my kiddo so he can have a set of decent wired headphones and I'm upgrading to the 600ohm Edition ones. The fit of Beyer's "Premium" / Edition lineup is perfect for my head, just super comfortable, and I've been convinced by the DT-880s there really is something to the higher impedance drivers having a slightly more resolving overall response when driven appropriately - eager to see what it does for the DT-990 :) I loved their sound signature when I first got them, "fun" headphone with great treble detail that could also be spiky with some material, and nice bass impact (especially for an open headphone of its era) though it could become boomy with some music too. I've read the 600 ohm helps both of those, brings them a bit down from their heights. Soon I'll know!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

In my experience the latency added by the app is considerable, so you need really good isolation for this not to be a serious nuisance. Or, I guess, just mind it less than I do.

yeah that's why you have a local monitor mix lol.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hello, I need new headphones! The ones I have are literally melting away as the glue and stitching comes undone.

Budget - No more than $400, preferably less than $300
Source - Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - It would be nice, but not mandatory.
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear full sized
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced, I guess?
Past Headphones - Sorry, not sure what ones I've had. I've purchased both BT headphones w/ noise cancelling (which couldn't be disabled which sucked), along with a relatively decent corded full size set.
Preferred Music - Armin van Buuren, Kaskade, but also jazz, and podcasts.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone help me troubleshoot this

I have a pair of WH-1000XM4 headphones and they worked just fine forever but now when I turn them on they pair with Windows 11 but they don't appear in sound devices??

I've re-paired them a couple times and I've done the thing where you plug them in to charge and hit both buttons to do a factory reset

Beyond that I dunno what to do exactly

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Could someone kindly recommend or suggest an affordable but high quality pair of bluetooth headphones? Primary use is for watching TV / PC / Netflix and also listening to music around the home. Material of construction matters, because I've got two budgies and they will tear anything fabric / leather to bits. I can live with the material being shreddable, but would prefer it wasn't.

I currently have some cheap JBL bluetooth headphones and they do the trick, but I would prefer something better quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Qubee posted:

Could someone kindly recommend or suggest an affordable but high quality pair of bluetooth headphones? Primary use is for watching TV / PC / Netflix and also listening to music around the home. Material of construction matters, because I've got two budgies and they will tear anything fabric / leather to bits. I can live with the material being shreddable, but would prefer it wasn't.

I currently have some cheap JBL bluetooth headphones and they do the trick, but I would prefer something better quality.

can you put the headphones in a case when the budgies are out or is it an issue of them shredding them when you wear them too? If the latter, can you cage the budgies when you’re using the headphones or is that a no-go?

Amazon will sell you a solid case that fits pretty much any headphone you can buy for like <$19

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

can you put the headphones in a case when the budgies are out or is it an issue of them shredding them when you wear them too? If the latter, can you cage the budgies when you’re using the headphones or is that a no-go?

Amazon will sell you a solid case that fits pretty much any headphone you can buy for like <

They are only interested in shredding the headphones when I'm wearing them, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Nowadays, it's gentle nibbles, it used to be real bad shredding. So that's why I'm willing to risk it. My budgies are also certified organic, free-range budgies and I never cage them.

What headphones would you recommend? I remember looking into the Sony MX<bignumberhere> but I ended up not going with them.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Qubee posted:

They are only interested in shredding the headphones when I'm wearing them, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Nowadays, it's gentle nibbles, it used to be real bad shredding. So that's why I'm willing to risk it. My budgies are also certified organic, free-range budgies and I never cage them.

What headphones would you recommend? I remember looking into the Sony MX<bignumberhere> but I ended up not going with them.

What kinda price is affordable for you?

If you’re talking over ear, those Sony ones you mentioned are supposed to be very, very good. They’ll come with a case too.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I've been told my ATH-M50X cans are too distracting on video calls. I'm looking for all day wear, balanced IEMs in that up to $150 range, I prefer wired as I daisy-chain the 3.5mm plug off my Yeti Mic.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to look for. Any pointers things to look at?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nystral posted:

I've been told my ATH-M50X cans are too distracting on video calls.
What does that mean, even? There approximately one million sub-$200 IEMs now that manufacturers have figured out they can send review pairs to youtubers.

e: also it's not healthy for your ears to have the canals sealed up all day every day.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nystral posted:

I've been told my ATH-M50X cans are too distracting on video calls. I'm looking for all day wear, balanced IEMs in that up to $150 range, I prefer wired as I daisy-chain the 3.5mm plug off my Yeti Mic.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to look for. Any pointers things to look at?

sure, there are lots of great options. what kind of music are you into?

i'd look into (in no particular order): sennheiser ie200, tangzu zetian wu, truthear hexa, dunu kima, letshouer s12

qirex posted:

e: also it's not healthy for your ears to have the canals sealed up all day every day.

i've been wearing iems all day every day for years, what should i be looking out for here? can you link some info about what you're concerned about?