Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I liked this season. Short, simple, to the point in all aspects. A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

seasonal: we all fuckin knew it, rip amanda as well

E: aw man zavala grieving hits different now huh

I turned the voices off which completely mutes cutscenes lmao.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Caital saying that Amanda's death was no sacrifice is pretty funny since Caital and Amanda share the same voice actor

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

seasonal: we all fuckin knew it, rip amanda as well

E: aw man zavala grieving hits different now huh

Yeah

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Daaaang! Your first ever solo clear and it's also flawless, sub 1 hour, and no cheese spots?! That's really impressive

Now that I'm more awake and watching over it again I'm 😬ing like crazy because there are a ton of spots where I did really dumb poo poo for no reason because I was exhausted from not having slept for 24+ hours. Though on the other hand it's kinda funny that I just sat down and did it first try just because I couldn't sleep

Is the spot I took cover in during the 3rd phase of the final encounter not considered cheese? It feels pretty cheese. Then again, Brakion in that encounter is basically an Unstoppable Champion with no counter, which is loving bullshit, so I don't feel bad about it even if it is cheese.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lmao they are telegraphing these plot beats miles away but holy poo poo are they not being earned

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah so much for “the seasonal story is better than the main story.” Asher puts up a picture of The Veil as his away message at the end of this week’s Variable while we still don’t know what the gently caress it is and Amanda’s death was a real easy-bake dramatic moment

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It was just so weird and badly written as well. It felt like it was clearly building to her having to hold the connection open and be electrocuted doing it, which would have at least been meaningful. But turns out she's fine, and then the room blows up for no goddamn reason. I get that it was a trap, but if Eramis really wanted to warn them she could have said "Hey the place is rigged to blow once the prisoners leave."

Also, dumb place to set the trap, set it so it goes off the moment they reach the prisoners. And the explosions just felt so generic, even if they wanted to imply that it was a trap by the witness, they could have had it do the remote slice and dice trick, or had her go down fighting against a room full of cabal instead of whatever that was.

Just a whole lot of fridge logic going on there.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Is there something preventing them from hiring on the people who write the in-game books for longer than it takes to write a dozen pages or so of work per season?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's some clunky writing to do

(telegraph)
(fake out)
(fake out)
(lol it happened when you least expected it at a really dumb time and for no reason)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Whirling posted:

Is there something preventing them from hiring on the people who write the in-game books for longer than it takes to write a dozen pages or so of work per season?

They had to stop hiring Seth Dickinson because Bungie were getting dangerously close to looking competent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Whirling posted:

I am really curious about what's going on in the Bungie writer's room, staffing-wise. I know we have an ex-Bungie writer or two in the thread and I'm not gonna ask them to spill anything but the turnover rate seems semi-high and Lightfall is such a dramatic drop compared to content that came out just a year ago it feels like a completely different team. I'm feeling more and more confident every day that they're going to bungle the big ending to this saga.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

its me, the dreg in that cutscene

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

I am really curious about what's going on in the Bungie writer's room, staffing-wise. I know we have an ex-Bungie writer or two in the thread and I'm not gonna ask them to spill anything but the turnover rate seems semi-high and Lightfall is such a dramatic drop compared to content that came out just a year ago it feels like a completely different team. I'm feeling more and more confident every day that they're going to bungle the big ending to this saga.

Oh they're absolutely going to bungle the poo poo out of TFS.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bro amanda is wearing insulated mechanic gloves, why the gently caress are they writing her as scared of electricity

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I wonder if the acquisition is having an impact - they said a lot of poo poo about how independent they were going to stay but I also bet Sony wants them focused on new IP they aren’t obligated to keep cross-platform, particularly with MS looking more and more likely to be successful in snapping up Activision and CoD.

Like Witch Queen lived up to all the stuff they were shouting about their multi-year plan and Lightfall has felt like…budget cuts.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kith posted:

bro amanda is wearing insulated mechanic gloves, why the gently caress are they writing her as scared of electricity
She knew that the sparks could light off one of her nervous farts.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 21, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

they said a lot of poo poo about how independent they were going to stay

The whole reason I was so apprehensive about the acquisition is because literally every company ever says this when they get acquired and it is practically never true.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair Sony seem to be pretty good and generous with their studios, whether they'll put up with Bungie is entirely another question.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

y'all should probably chill, a single bad expansion is not indicative of a studio gone rotten

like yeah lightfall is a nasty badtime and RoN was not exactly mechanically complex but that's not proof positive that bungie is incapable of doing good things ever again

bad releases happen. they're not indications of anything more than "the release was bad" until it becomes a consistent trend

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Kith posted:

y'all should probably chill, a single bad expansion is not indicative of a studio gone rotten

like yeah lightfall is a nasty badtime and RoN was not exactly mechanically complex but that's not proof positive that bungie is incapable of doing good things ever again

bad releases happen. they're not indications of anything more than "the release was bad" until it becomes a consistent trend

on the internet you’re only allowed to jump to the worst possible conclusion and use the grossest hyperbole

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

VanillaGorilla posted:

I wonder if the acquisition is having an impact - they said a lot of poo poo about how independent they were going to stay but I also bet Sony wants them focused on new IP they aren’t obligated to keep cross-platform, particularly with MS looking more and more likely to be successful in snapping up Activision and CoD.

Like Witch Queen lived up to all the stuff they were shouting about their multi-year plan and Lightfall has felt like…budget cuts.

Lightfall isn't really budget cuts so much as they had to throw a planet & a campaign & a raid together fast.

Lightfall wasn't supposed to exist, and originally we were going from Witch Queen to TFS in a single year, but the seasonal storytelling didn't move at the pace they wanted to and so they needed another Anchor Expansion to tie four seasons onto. You can almost literally see the stitching in the narrative where Lightfall's campaign was sewn in, particularly in that cutscene that was sliced in two to serve as the Prologue and Epilogue

It's one of their better 'Rushed Products' but there's no mistaking it for what it is.

'What does Sony get out of the Bungie purchase?' continues to be a great mystery, but everything currently in development at Bungie (D2, New IP #1 and New IP #2) is multi-platform. Sony doesn't have any incentive (or ability) to shut down D2 development to prioritize New IP Development.

Staffing-wise, the overwhelming majority of current Bungie Employees are working on Destiny 2.
Conversely, the vast majority of new Bungie hiring is for things that are NOT Destiny 2. There are different ways to interpret this.

Sony has a goal of introducing a handful of new 'live service games' by 2026 which Bungie is going to be instrumental in helping them achieve, but that doesn't mean any/many/all of the games will say Bungie Studios on 'em.

Bungie is a highly successful carwash on top of an oil field next door to Disneyland and so it's really up for debate what you're buying when you buy it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bungie is that laundromat Stephen King used to work at with a typewriter and then they booted him out and now they're trying to market themselves as the spooky laundromat and this metaphor kind of got away from me but anyway they should rehire Battuta and treat him like a human being.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Oh they're absolutely going to bungle the poo poo out of TFS.

I read this as "Oh they're absolutely bungie the poo poo out of TFS" but its okay because the meaning of the statement stays the same either way.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Man they really failed to convey what they were trying to in that cutscene. I don't think half the people who saw it even realize Amanda knew she was gonna die, which isn't an indictment on those people but rather on the cutscene just being poorly done.

Anyway I have had a long sleepy day and I am manifesting an LFG for RoN that's done the red border puzzle, is at Nezarec and will clap with delight when I use Acrius

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

From what one of the insiders said about the Sony/Bungie purchase is that Bungie is more under the bigger Sony umbrella than just under SIE. Because Sony wants the IP to make movies/TV /HBO stuff from. And I suspect Lance Reddick's death also hurt that end too because I bet he would have been Zavala in live action too.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mage_Boy posted:

From what one of the insiders said about the Sony/Bungie purchase is that Bungie is more under the bigger Sony umbrella than just under SIE. Because Sony wants the IP to make movies/TV /HBO stuff from. And I suspect Lance Reddick's death also hurt that end too because I bet he would have been Zavala in live action too.

well now I'm just extremely sad we won't ever get to see that

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Oh no who is gonna sell the green ships and sparrows now

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Maybe they'll do the Lance Reddick replacement like Marvel and cast someone completely different like Chris Tucker or Mark Hamill

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is the new story stuff just from the new cutscene for this week? I haven’t logged in yet

E yes please mark Hamill for Zavala replacement we’ll have a fully jokerpilled vanguard

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Wasn’t there a presentation Bungie gave where they mentioned that they have two main teams focusing on their own individual expansion? Like team A created the Witch Queen and is currently working on Final Shape. While team B was developing Lightfall during Witch Queen’s launch.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Raspberry Bang posted:

Wasn’t there a presentation Bungie gave where they mentioned that they have two main teams focusing on their own individual expansion? Like team A created the Witch Queen and is currently working on Final Shape. While team B was developing Lightfall during Witch Queen’s launch.

idk if that's how they do expansions but that is how they do seasons so I wouldn't be shocked

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Oh no who is gonna sell the green ships and sparrows now

Rahool's been selling them since Lightfall started which should have been as big a hint as any that Amanda was a goner

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
In Biden's America self-immolation was the only way to send a message after her small business was shut down

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
At least the guns and abilities teams are still putting out good stuff, although it is a bit dodgy that both the expansion and seasonal legendaries are existing models with a new coat of paint, and the raid legendaries seem to be existing models with cancerous growths slapped on.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I made the mistake of posting my flawless solo legend run on reddit because I figured if I could do it, anyone could, and maybe posting my recording would help some folks to figure out how to do it for themselves!

what a loving mistake that was. why is reddit so vile and hostile lmao

apparently using the fighting lion is cheese? and that deserves death threats in my inbox????????

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kith posted:

I made the mistake of posting… on reddit …

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Kith posted:

I made the mistake of posting my flawless solo legend run on reddit because I figured if I could do it, anyone could, and maybe posting my recording would help some folks to figure out how to do it for themselves!

what a loving mistake that was. why is reddit so vile and hostile lmao

apparently using the fighting lion is cheese? and that deserves death threats in my inbox????????

Why do people get so attached to the sanctity of video game achievements, anyway? It is fun to do harder content, but at the end of the day, it's all make-believe that some designers whipped up for me to feel cool when I beat it, so it always makes me confused when I see teen boys yell at people for things like using a strong gun or, in the Dark Souls games fandom, getting mad at people for summoning or using magic or literally anything other than attacking the boss with a basic long sword (unless its Dark Souls 3, where the long sword is apparently TOO GOOD). These aren't actual achievements!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the only safe Destiny Reddits are /r/DestinyLore (but people there can be annoying and think it’s DBZ) and /r/LowSodiumDestiny. if you’re posting a joke you can do that on /r/destinycirclejerk or /r/okbuddyguardian

every other one is basically just one million A Buffer Gay Dudes but even madder, more pathetic, and often hornier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ