Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The only part that can suck my dik is thwt room in Chozo Mines where you have to spider ball up to an area and there's a pirate in a really inconvenient spot to kill that shoots you down

lol i hate that guy

most valuable pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The remaining city courses for now are just Vancouver and LA, right? Usually Tour is the signifier for what will be in 8's DLC and the next track coming is Wii Dry Dry Desert.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

another day, another Switch 2 rumour

https://twitter.com/orexda/status/1638028930199465984?s=46

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cojawfee posted:

I think my biggest gripe with Prime remastered is that it isn't always clear where to go. For the 2D games, sure, I'll zoom all over the map, it's really easy to get everywhere. For this game, where I sometimes have to activate some timed mechanism, or do 3D platforming, it's a bit of a slog and there have been multiple times where I've backtracked through an area only to realize I needed to go somewhere else.

Yeah, I've been following a 100% scannable objects faq

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thunder Bear posted:

Suppose I was to buy a Kirby game right now, which is the one to buy? I’m assuming Forgotten Land.

I’ve only played the 3DS games. They were fun and pretty.

Forgotten Land and Star Allies are the "new" Kirbies since Return to Dreamland is a shiny port from the WiiU game.

Of the former two Forgotten Land is by far the better game. It's also Kirby's first 3D platformer for what it's worth. It's not particularly difficult like any game in the series but the level design and just charm is through the roof.

Star Allies is pretty dull due to the fact that you have 3 CPU (or real) friends just blowing poo poo up as you move along. Easy by Kirby standards it's redeeming factor is that it is a love letter to the series with all the easter eggs and lore bits stuffed into it. It's a charming enough game, but it's not a great one.

I can't speak to the latest release except that it's a port. I'm sure it's good and it looks to be better than Star Allies which seems to reproduce its gameplay style to some degree.

Anyway, Forgotten Land is really just an excellent game all around. If you're lacking more Kirby do check out the offerings on the Nintendo Online Services, they're pretty much all there. Of note Kirby's Adventure (NES), Kirby Super Star (SNES), and Kirby's Dreamland 2 (GB) are all really great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

What is the point of that entire area behind the freighter crash site in Prime?
You need the Gravity Suit to explore Orpheon. After you defeat Thardus you're "supposed" to explore the magnetic rails in the boss room, find the elevator, and see there's a door on the opposite side that you need a new beam for, then figure out where that is in Chozo Ruins (or the game tells you?), then realize you can go back to the door after Thardus. But yeah if you run after Orpheon instead you get pretty darn stuck.

veni veni veni posted:

Just being able to fast travel between elevators or something would make a world of difference. Also maybe being able to like, scan future upgrades and mark them on the map or just put pins on the map.
Prime 3 did some of this. They replaced elevators with ship landing sites that allow you to fast travel (and save), but the result of making the world (really, universe) fully connected via fast travel lead to the feeling of all these different areas being completely disjoint.

I liked Dread's approach of having elevators and fixed-destination teleporters, but then fully enables fast travel in the post-game. Prime 2 does something like this at the start of the artifact hunt, but I think it falls short because the fast travel between the energy controllers still takes you to places that are fairly out of the way from where you need to collect artifacts, so I'm not sure it really helps.

Prime 3 also adds a feature that marks collected/uncollected on your map after you visit the Chozo Observatory. Again I think it was the right idea but could've had a bit better implementation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whatever Nintendo makes, if it's going to be a mobile device again, it will not go above 1080p, and even that I would be surprised for. The Steam Deck isn't a 1080p device and there is no way Nintendo is making something more powerful than that. The Tegra chip will also likely be different enough that it won't be backwards compatible with Switch. I know lots of people who are expecting a 4K mobile device that matches the power of PlayStation 5, all of those people are going to be super disappointed.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Forgotten Land, Odyssey and Luigi’s Mansion 3 are the holy trinity of single player Switch titles. They’re in a class of their own.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still need to play LM3........

I don't think MK8 Deluxe or Prime Remastered quite count but the best first party Switch games are Forgotten Land, Odyssey, and my weirdo choice of Astral Chain

and also Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is epic win.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looper posted:

prime remastered would be waaay better if you had a compass at the top of the screen that told you how many meters away your next objective and missile upgrade are

no it wouldnt

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope the screen is the same

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

Whatever Nintendo makes, if it's going to be a mobile device again, it will not go above 1080p, and even that I would be surprised for. The Steam Deck isn't a 1080p device and there is no way Nintendo is making something more powerful than that. The Tegra chip will also likely be different enough that it won't be backwards compatible with Switch. I know lots of people who are expecting a 4K mobile device that matches the power of PlayStation 5, all of those people are going to be super disappointed.

who in the name of rear end thinks the next nintendo console will be a mobile play station 5

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Whatever power level the Steam Deck is at, I can only expect the next Nintendo to be under that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

who in the name of rear end thinks the next nintendo console will be a mobile play station 5

Digital Foundry keeps making videos about how the Switch needs to be 4K.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

Digital Foundry keeps making videos about how the Switch needs to be 4K.

*nods* They are epic fail.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

prime remastered would be waaay better if you had a compass at the top of the screen that told you how many meters away your next objective and missile upgrade are

There is an option to enable a way point marker to appear if you're not making any progress for a certain amount of time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Super Switch will be BC I dunno why people are being doomers about it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

The Super Switch will be BC I dunno why people are being doomers about it

I would just expect disappointment regardless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also it will probably have an option to at least output 4k/upscaled 4k because a) every tv is 4k now, and b) a god drat Chromecast can do that, which is different than games running at 4K

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

Surely (he says) it would be close enough to that they could have some sort of wrapper that allows it to be backwards compatible. That one guy was able to write a translator to get vita software to run on the switch (sans graphics). I also agree that it doesn't need to be 1080p or higher. The 800p of the steamdeck is good enough for me with the size of the screen.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

I would just expect disappointment regardless.

Why would you?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*nods* They are epic fail.

Don't know about that, but they sure sound like dumbasses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Why would you?

I'm just tired of having expectations that don't pan out. Game development is always vastly more complicated than people think. If it ends up happening then I am happy, if it doesn't, then it's no surprise and I get on with my life.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Khanstant posted:

Whatever power level the Steam Deck is at, I can only expect the next Nintendo to be under that.

It's roughly equal toa base PS4, but with significantly better cpu and ssd performance (if you didn't buy the poo poo tier 64gb emmc flash model)

Tegra has an entire family of newer chips than the X1 that can hit that level, and could benefit from a smaller fab process for reduced power draw (and thus longer battery life), too.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 21, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

There is an option to enable a way point marker to appear if you're not making any progress for a certain amount of time.

real talk not being able to turn the compass off is the worst part of elden ring

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

real talk not being able to turn the compass off is the worst part of elden ring

I get lost so easily. :( I really like it when games have markers to help me because i'm a smooth brain idiot.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Games only need UI markers when their geometry and level design is so poo poo that it doesn't have natural, memorable landmarks

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Khanstant posted:

The Deck uses a 15W APU regardless of handheld or "docked". There's an opportunity for a Switch Prime to match that power/performance profile handheld (although knowing Nintendo they'll probably down-clock it for battery life) and exceed it docked.

Also few games are fully optimized for the Deck--the best performing ones are DX12 or native Vulkan ports that give enough knobs for the end-user to dial in the optimal graphics settings. Hell, the OS itself has a bunch of knobs that folks have been able to use to squeeze out performance and while what's been done is incredible, it's also a lot of work on the part of the community.

Contrast to the Switch where some dedicated ports make astoundingly efficient use of the NVN API and really punch above their weight and match Deck quality/performance despite running on significantly inferior hardware. So again, with a new chip I could see some Switch Prime ports exceeding the Deck in performance, and many others fall flat on their face due to poor porting efforts. And then there's the usual issue of console ports releasing day-and-date with PC versions (which is something that doesn't happen in both directions now), potential increased cost of console versions, etc.

Although at this point, if you own both a Switch and a Deck, the platform you decide to make purchases on is increasingly less a function of performance but more of availability (Nintendo exclusives), convenience (Steam crossplay on desktop PC, moddding, etc.), and concerns of future usability (eShop goes away when?).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
this is coming from someone who had to use the satnav for at least two months for the way to work after switching jobs

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

hatty posted:

I hope the screen is the same

I hope it has two screens.

Call it the Double Switch, or rather the DS.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I'm just tired of having expectations that don't pan out. Game development is always vastly more complicated than people think. If it ends up happening then I am happy, if it doesn't, then it's no surprise and I get on with my life.

I think as soon as you open the box it'll poo poo on the floor and kill your wife. Epic fail!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Although at this point, if you own both a Switch and a Deck, the platform you decide to make purchases on is increasingly less a function of performance but more of availability (Nintendo exclusives), convenience (Steam crossplay on desktop PC, moddding, etc.), and concerns of future usability (eShop goes away when?).

I don't play games handheld, don't like it, got no place in my life for it. For me the increased power level of Switch 2 is my main point of contention on whether I'd consider it or not. I've already been playing the last several Switch games I bought on my PC instead of the Switch, since I can use better controllers with better performance on my PC. If my current 3080 rig can run Switch 2 as well as it can every other older console, then it's hard to excuse the purchase. I think Mario Maker and Animal Crossing are the only Switch games where being online in an official capacity registers enough to be a consideration. Might as well wait for one of those types of games and just emulate in the meantime.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think as soon as you open the box it'll poo poo on the floor and kill your wife. Epic fail!!

AVGN standing over the body of AVGWife: "what were they THINKING?????"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

HenryEx posted:

Games only need UI markers when their geometry and level design is so poo poo that it doesn't have natural, memorable landmarks

Been saying this for years. Minimaps and HUD waypoints are a crutch for poor world design.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Switch 2 will not have any screens. You will play games by rumble alone.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, finally a games console for my blind father.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It is kinda BS all these supposed touch screens Nintendo has released over the years have all pretty much just felt like glass or plastic. Doesn't feel bad... But I can feel that anywhere. Considering we are still waiting for them to release the other colour Wiis, doubt we'll get any new touchscreens either.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khanstant posted:

I don't play games handheld, don't like it, got no place in my life for it. For me the increased power level of Switch 2 is my main point of contention on whether I'd consider it or not. I've already been playing the last several Switch games I bought on my PC instead of the Switch, since I can use better controllers with better performance on my PC. If my current 3080 rig can run Switch 2 as well as it can every other older console, then it's hard to excuse the purchase. I think Mario Maker and Animal Crossing are the only Switch games where being online in an official capacity registers enough to be a consideration. Might as well wait for one of those types of games and just emulate in the meantime.

:thanks:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone picked up Remnant: From The Ashes?
I played the crap out of it on PC and would love it mobile, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Looper posted:

Metroid Prime for babies?