Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway if I'm getting one: Prodeus or the Serious Sam 4+Expansion pack bundle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I suddenly had flashbacks to having played The Given and Moonlight and while I could probably go replay them now with fresh eyes because I'm pretty sure I forgot all the solutions does anyone know of any similarly puzzly maps? I have a weird itch to try to decipher codes or do spatial reasoning in doom.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Volte posted:

Doom Eternal doesn't have that

Fashion Police Squad does and honestly I kinda liked it. I don't think I'd like it for everything, mind

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mordja posted:

i'm one of the few here who likes prodeus but honestly the sam bundle is probably better just for the expansion pack

e: just remember in 4 you can dual wield two different weapons, because it definitely felt like a lot of encounters expect you to

site fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 21, 2023

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Turin Turambar posted:

Dominic makes a Doom tweet thread. He mixes mods and commercial games, so let's put it here:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1637929502830370817

Also this thread is how I'm finding out about MyHouse.pk3 which holy poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not on sale but i will reiterate that cultic is probably one of the best value purchases out there right now. very good-feeling, complete package right now with the dev working on what's more or less a direct follow-up sequel. absolutely impressive game for being made by one person.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It also has a shocking amount of replay value with the custom skill modifiers. My favorite has been a one-hit kill setting with all health (yours and enemies') health minimized and all damage (yours and enemies') maximized, and infinite ammo. Another fun one was increasing enemy projectile counts by 3x or 4x and decreasing accuracy slightly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's also 10 bucks which is less than the sale prices of both viscerafest and Fashion police squad and is a better game than both, though not what I'd consider vastly. Man it's fun.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Glagha posted:

Also this thread is how I'm finding out about MyHouse.pk3 which holy poo poo

MyHouse got an article on PCGamer :cheers:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

suuma posted:

MyHouse got an article on PCGamer :cheers:

It's so fuckin good holy poo poo! Plus I realized what was in store when I glanced at the journal before I played and saw that "house" was always in blue. Like ha ha I get that reference

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Mordja posted:

Prodeus is good, solid Doom-like stuff with a fair amount of community-made maps (I have to check and see if the new Contest Winners campaign is up yet). Only one campaign thus far.

Sam 4 is pretty good, for a Sam game, with a good amount of tonal whiplash (they apparently responded to the lack of humor in Sam 3 by going extremely wackier this time, except for. . . certain parts). You'll want to get every dual-wielding skill in the game for later. Trust me. Siberian Mayhem, however, is fantastic. It's the best parts of Sam 4 distilled without most of the filler, and it's decently long too.

Either one's good, but for the best "bang-for-your-buck" value Sam wins.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I tried myhouse.wad when it first got mentioned in this thread, and wondered what the hell everyone was talking about, since I found nothing unusual.

I just now realized I'd been playing myhouse.wad instead of myhouse.pk3

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

If you read through the whole journal it pretty much spells out which you should run, and the 2 of them even existing is part of the meta narrative. I have to say though its pretty ballsy of the author to do so much obfuscation, from the very subject matter and the original post of it, to the point a substantial amount of people don't even run the right file, and just trust people would find it all out.

I'm not sure if it should count as trolling people or world building, but its certainly a thing to do to players.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

neither

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Dominic makes a Doom tweet thread. He mixes mods and commercial games, so let's put it here:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1637929502830370817

c'mon dood don't make us see the pendulum avatar guy's posts...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

*me, wisely* HL1 is great

Sorry, worded that badly. Really like HL1, it doesn't stand much "improvement."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I do like the explosions though. My bigger problem with it is it fucks with the spawns and stuff I'm pretty certain

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think I’m almost near the end and Metroid Prime is so good. I never really played much when it originally came out since my teen brain was too dumb for metroids then. I see why people called it an FPA back then since it really does feel like a Metroid game in 3D rather than a Metroid themed FPS. I hope Nintendo remasters 2 and 3 too before 4 comes out.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I always saw people using "First-Person Adventure" instead of "FPS" for Prime as a way to handwave its bizarre control scheme (which, despite me saying that, I absolutely got used to in no time at all back in the day, and am in fact playing the remaster with) more than anything else.

Still, there really isn't any other game designed quite like it. Lotta Search Action games these days, very few from a first-person perspective like this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Are MP's controls really that strange though?

To me the only true weirdness is how you were expected to smudge your thumb to X and/or Y in order to activate the charged alt shots.

But then the lock-on is straight out of Zelda and the precision aiming mode straight out of Goldeneye.

I mean I guess it's a moot point, I certainly wouldn't class it as a traditional shooter either way.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
It was tanky at a time when Halo was basically changing gaming forever with dual stick controls. Imo the controls were perfectly tailored to the game itself if you can ignore the tectonic shift that was happening around the same time. It's kinda like complaining about Resident Evil 4 controls compared to like Gears of War or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duke Nukem 3D "Babeland" shooting gallery progression is supremely poorly telegraphed and its the first time in the entirety of my playthrough I've had to just stop and go look up a guide to figure out what I'm doing wrong. So close to all achievements, and then I'm onto <checks the roster> Redneck Rampage???

John Murdoch posted:

Are MP's controls really that strange though?

Metroid Prime controls are perfectly suited for what it is, but are also a limitation of the Gamecube not having two good sticks to work with. Its very much its own thing and works fully with how the game is designed, but they are different than what most people would expect from a first person game nowadays.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

I have to say though its pretty ballsy of the author to do so much obfuscation, from the very subject matter and the original post of it, to the point a substantial amount of people don't even run the right file, and just trust people would find it all out.
As I understand the original download link that was posted on the Doomworld forum thread was just the MyHouse.pk3, and then about a week later it was updated to include the whole Drive folder with the journal, photos, and the "original" MyHouse.wad. So the player confusion thing over which wad happened some time after the original release--whether that's intended or not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shadow Hog posted:

Personally I always saw people using "First-Person Adventure" instead of "FPS" for Prime as a way to handwave its bizarre control scheme (which, despite me saying that, I absolutely got used to in no time at all back in the day, and am in fact playing the remaster with) more than anything else.
I can't remember which thread it was but there was a whole argument over the folks saying "Metroid Prime isn't an FPS" that happened when the remaster came out.

I think I made the point then that my take on it is that shooting isn't actually the focus of the player experience in Prime. Like yeah, sure, you do a lot of shooting, but the game is designed around players not needing to do precision aiming in nearly any circumstance. I mean, it makes sense to me that designers/"engineers" at Retro, who came from the Quake/PC FPS scene originally (namely Zoid), would look at the license and also the capabilities of the console and intentionally steer the game design away from what was popular on PCs at the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

shoeberto posted:

It was tanky at a time when Halo was basically changing gaming forever with dual stick controls. Imo the controls were perfectly tailored to the game itself if you can ignore the tectonic shift that was happening around the same time. It's kinda like complaining about Resident Evil 4 controls compared to like Gears of War or something.

I guess that tracks, especially because I missed that entire era of FPS games. So to me the progression was literally something like Goldeneye -> Perfect Dark -> Oh in Metroid Prime you move with the stick and aim with the R button, makes perfect sense!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

So close to all achievements, and then I'm onto <checks the roster> Redneck Rampage???
Oh boy. If you need a guide for Duke...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's gotta be a "make keys visible" mod, right? Right?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Kins posted:

I was thinking this too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

There's gotta be a "make keys visible" mod, right? Right?

A bottle of Jack.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It'll be fine, Im sure. It was just one weird thing where the godawful loving switch flipping puzzle got turned into a timed shooting one and I could not figure out that leap. The burns on Randy's design choices in map 1 of The Birth were incredible and carried me through.

I beat Witchaven 2 without a guide so technically, I am forced to say Witchaven 2 has more intuitive level design than Duke Nukem 3d.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Kins posted:

No, he's right. That babeland part is really stupid. I went to youtube also. RR is on another level though

Barudak posted:

It'll be fine, Im sure. It was just one weird thing where the godawful loving switch flipping puzzle got turned into a timed shooting one and I could not figure out that leap. The burns on Randy's design choices in map 1 of The Birth were incredible and carried me through.

Who are you talking about? Civvie? He actually liked It's Impossible iirr

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I am a) dumb and b) impatient and also c) inattentive so I looked up a guide for Duke just a few levels in - but I think "hey you gotta jump through a poster on a wall" is kind of bullshit.
But thanks to folks in this thread for bringing up the dev commentary in it, it was totally worth the 2€ for just the amount of commentary you get in the first, best level (even if it feels bad to give money to Randy)
The rewind-on-death feature is also super handy!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Angryhead posted:

I am a) dumb and b) impatient and also c) inattentive so I looked up a guide for Duke just a few levels in - but I think "hey you gotta jump through a poster on a wall" is kind of bullshit.

this u?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This does look pretty cool
https://twitter.com/ExocideGame/status/1603145713969496064?cxt=HHwWgIC8xY6iwr8sAAAA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hell yeah it does. I do think the arms in the top corners are a little distracting

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they really were lol

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, he's right. That babeland part is really stupid. I went to youtube also. RR is on another level though

The official 3D Realms websites for both Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior are still up, including the full walkthroughs. I used those to look up every time I couldn't figure out how to progress and they must have been mind-blowing in the late 90's.

I didn't have to use them much for Duke (mainly just for finding the secrets in Warp Factor, which I maintain were bullshit but really really cool and for the Babeland progression, which was just bullshit) but I ended up getting lost multiple times in the back quarter of SW. I don't know if the level design of SW took a turn for the worse or I was just sick of the game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Redneck Rampage's level design truly isn't terrible - and the sunstorm (Route 66) levels are legitimately a drat good time.

Its the IMPOSSIBLE to see keys, asinine health system, and bullet sponge enemies that really drag everything down.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Congrats to Albert Martin, the creator of the RE4 HD Project for getting hired at Nightdive!

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1638476721467846658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Redneck Rampage's level design truly isn't terrible - and the sunstorm (Route 66) levels are legitimately a drat good time.

Its the IMPOSSIBLE to see keys, asinine health system, and bullet sponge enemies that really drag everything down.

Yeah, I use a mod to make keys bigger plus have a white outline, and made some modifications to enemy health values. I think RR starts off pretty rough and gets better as it goes along. Could probably use just a couple more enemy types though.