Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaysette posted:

diablo 4 has a bunch of MMO-like elements in it to mimic lost ark and the arpg folks are pissed they have mounts now

i guess that's the next big mmo on the radar lol

Diablo 3 is my personal worst video game sequel so all the dumb bullshit they've done with 4 has been very funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Diablo 3 console multiplayer was the loving bomb other than when anyone needed to menu. One screen, four players. Basically BG: Dark Alliance with better combat. It's wild to me still that the console version leaving a ton of poo poo out made it so much better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diablo 4 is live service trash from everything i've seen on Twitch over this weekend. It'll sell really well the first week, but then population numbers will drop like a rock after the first month and Activision will abandon the game outright after a year. Someone quote me on this if i'm not right, but I am 110% certain I am correct.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ranzear posted:

Diablo 3 console multiplayer was the loving bomb other than when anyone needed to menu. One screen, four players. Basically BG: Dark Alliance with better combat. It's wild to me still that the console version leaving a ton of poo poo out made it so much better.

Yeah, Diablo 3 loving sucks but Diablo 3 on console is a masterpiece.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

jokes posted:

Yeah, Diablo 3 loving sucks but Diablo 3 on console is a masterpiece.

They're the same game and have been for almost a decade now

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

30.5 Days posted:

They're the same game and have been for almost a decade now

console lends itself way more to couch co-op

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

They never added controller support to PC D3 and that loving sucked

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tricky Ed posted:

Upcoming Game has ~potential~ to be The Game In My Head, so I'm pinning my identity to it now.

I will throw an absolute hissy fit every time someone mentions something about Upcoming Game that I don't like.

When it is available to play I will continually grade it on what I think it should be instead of what it is, and write angry messages to the developers who dare to make the game they want it to be.

When the next online thing approaches launch I will abandon this game, publicly bashing the dev team for abandoning the potential I ascribed to their game.

I will never realize that I am in this cycle.

MMO Samsara

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

Diablo 4 is live service trash from everything i've seen on Twitch over this weekend. It'll sell really well the first week, but then population numbers will drop like a rock after the first month and Activision will abandon the game outright after a year. Someone quote me on this if i'm not right, but I am 110% certain I am correct.

I honestly cannot believe in a world where you are wrong.

That convinces me that you are wrong and it will make more money than any game in history, starting a new era of filth.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Interest rates clearly not high enough

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Ok, My consulting buddy's keep saying "block chain!!!" but the only good use case ever found so far was airline parts tracking (lots of firms, from mining ore to decom off a plane a part is tracked all the way) I have never seen a use case thats not just a database.

So what the devil is "Block Chain" Technology? A database?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Cloud Computing
Blockchain
AI Synergy

Our next generation kickstarter MMO about dragons will have it all!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
More like projectwanking.io

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus loving christ lmao.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

fuckin' lol

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
You either die a MMO hero or you make your next game using blockchain.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Yesterday I got an email from a kickstarter that I though had died (Descent Underground) which now has rebranded and is with another developer and/or company and it also has blockchain now so I guess that's just the theme this week.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

PyRosflam posted:

Ok, My consulting buddy's keep saying "block chain!!!" but the only good use case ever found so far was airline parts tracking (lots of firms, from mining ore to decom off a plane a part is tracked all the way) I have never seen a use case thats not just a database.

the people yelling about blockchain being the future have no idea what it is or what they actually mean by saying they're going to use it, but they know that VC loves to throw money at it right now and that's all that matters

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

the people yelling about blockchain being the future have no idea what it is or what they actually mean by saying they're going to use it, but they know that VC loves to throw money at it right now and that's all that matters

I am just going to assume every time People use these buzz words its just a rehash of 1960s Comp Sci. We're back to terminal Servers, "Cloud Computing", Big Data (Just lots of data, most of which is garbage), Synergy (you can pay a consultant to make this work with that) LOL.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

It's a decentralized database that doesn't necessarily require explicit (authorized, authenticated) trust between the parties who read and write to the database. It's frequently used for ledgers because it (must, by design) keeps a history of all changes made to all entities in the database. Git is a blockchain. You'll note that the way git is actually used in practice involves a single centralized actor who everyone trusts implicitly and controls access with traditional auth, and there is a good reason for that.

However even when using it in a decentralized manner, git is a little bit different from most other blockchain setups. With git the idea is that you have connections to a limited number of other nodes, manually added by a human, authenticated with SSH, and exchanges between those nodes are done manually, by a human.

When people say blockchain nowadays they mean bitcoin, where nodes are constantly sharing all changes they make with other nodes, the nodes validate the changes algorithmically and some sort of proof is provided, like a proof of work, that proves that the node submitting the change is permitted to be submitting that change at that time. Generally changes made by consumers are submitted to some quorum of nodes who validate the changes (if you are moving money from X to Y account you have to use X account's private key and the existing history of the ledger has to establish that account X has sufficient funds, or some similar sort of requirement), attempt to establish proof with the other nodes in the system, and if they can do so they are often rewarded in some way for lending their compute power to the process of validating changes.

That's just the technological side, though, because when people say blockchain what they REALLY mean is using this technology to establish an unregulated security that people buy and sell in the blockchain and then getting people to speculate on it with the value of the security ostensibly coming from some "blockchain product" you've developed, like a game, but with everyone implicitly understanding that it's really about gambling that number will go up. Most blockchain products are scams both because:

1) The technology, while very interesting on an academic level, doesn't have any real value
2) Everyone signs onto these products with the intention of scamming someone else so it's pretty dog bites man when they end up being the ones scammed

Even in the example you gave, the technology isn't really providing value: it would obviously be better technologically if there was a single centralized API that allowed the parts to be tracked. From the point of view of these companies, the technology isn't "really" decentralized because obviously I can't sign on and start inventing fake airplane parts and pretending to send them to people. There's no doubt some organization or consortium that controls access, there by definition has to be. But for organizational reasons- either because it nobody wanted to deal with the politics around such an organization or because some guy with power of the proceedings got really horned up for The Blockchain- instead you have this weird decentralized thing that works the same way but much slower and requires everyone to collectively run it and collectively admit new users.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

It's a magic word that, if you says it loudly and confidently enough, has a high chance of summoning a bunch of weirdos that will shower you with money as long as you make sure to repeat it often enough and include it in the description of your products.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

You have to be pretty loosey goosey with the definition of blockchain to consider git to be a blockchain. It has a similar tree structure but it's not really operated in the same way.

quote:

Even in the example you gave, the technology isn't really providing value: it would obviously be better technologically if there was a single centralized API that allowed the parts to be tracked. From the point of view of these companies, the technology isn't "really" decentralized because obviously I can't sign on and start inventing fake airplane parts and pretending to send them to people. There's no doubt some organization or consortium that controls access, there by definition has to be. But for organizational reasons- either because it nobody wanted to deal with the politics around such an organization or because some guy with power of the proceedings got really horned up for The Blockchain- instead you have this weird decentralized thing that works the same way but much slower and requires everyone to collectively run it and collectively admit new users.

When I worked on Pox Nora way back in the day we had a Rune Trader. And we ended up removing the ability to trade real money from the system, because basically it invites you being an outlet for money laundering. As much as everyone thinks diablo 3 pulled their RMT for "making the game better", I would be shocked if that wasn't also a factor in that decision (or it just stopped being profitable for them, which would be surprising). These companies are all about blockchain because by putting it on someone else's chain, they are basically handwaving away all responsibility. Oh if someone is laundering that's the chain's problem and then the chain says oh it's the user's problem. Fraud? Whatever. Your poo poo got stolen? Whatever. You got ripped off? Whatever. It's a terrible thing for everyone involved except for the company running the game because it allows them to just say "good luck, not gonna help you" and not have to deal with customer service or legal ramifications. And by being on only one chain (which every company who has been talking about doing this is doing, because how the hell else are you going to incorporate giving you some item in the game without integrating it into some wallet), it's effectively the same as having a rune trader on your website, minus all said customer support and legal issues. They then try to sell it to you that by saying "this is a benefit for you".

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Cutedge posted:

You have to be pretty loosey goosey with the definition of blockchain to consider git to be a blockchain. It has a similar tree structure but it's not really operated in the same way.

I think he only means it in the way that the past is unchangeable. Because for the most part GIT features are "Checkout, modify, Check-in, Merge" Just the added benefit that you can see what all came in the past to get you to this current state.

But the best part is GIT is older then block chain.

Anyway, I welcome our new Block Chain based Code Repos!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

I think he only means it in the way that the past is unchangeable. Because for the most part GIT features are "Checkout, modify, Check-in, Merge" Just the added benefit that you can see what all came in the past to get you to this current state.

But the best part is GIT is older then block chain.

Anyway, I welcome our new Block Chain based Code Repos!

Git isn't older than blockchain because blockchain predates bitcoin by good long while.

Git is a an immutable chain of blocks where each block is identified by a sha that is constructed by hashing the block's data along with the identity of the previous block. Fully-decentralized nodes exchange blocks back and forth with each other in order to propagate state through the system. It's a blockchain. Nobody ever things about the fact that it's a blockchain though because in practice nobody uses it as one, you plug into github and do your thing because the decentralization isn't useful at all.

e: like even when it was new and github didn't exist, it wasn't used as a blockchain because terminating SSH on your home computer isn't trivial so linux maintainers were passing patches back and forth via email, decentralization was one of linus's key pillars when designing git and everybody hated it

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2023

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Git isn't older than blockchain because blockchain predates bitcoin by good long while.

Git is a an immutable chain of blocks where each block is identified by a sha that is constructed by hashing the block's data along with the identity of the previous block. Fully-decentralized nodes exchange blocks back and forth with each other in order to propagate state through the system. It's a blockchain. Nobody ever things about the fact that it's a blockchain though because in practice nobody uses it as one, you plug into github and do your thing because the decentralization isn't useful at all.

e: like even when it was new and github didn't exist, it wasn't used as a blockchain because terminating SSH on your home computer isn't trivial so linux maintainers were passing patches back and forth via email, decentralization was one of linus's key pillars when designing git and everybody hated it

You're describing a Merkle tree, and no one called Merkle trees "blockchains" until Bitcoiners invented the term. Hell, the Bitcoin whitepaper didn't even use the term because it didn't exist yet. And it's inaccurate to go back and try to label all Merkle trees as "blockchains", when the entire point of a blockchain is the addition of a trustless consensus algorithm, eg. proof-of-work. And it's those same algorithms that make blockchains useless for any practical purpose.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Telarra posted:

You're describing a Merkle tree, and no one called Merkle trees "blockchains" until Bitcoiners invented the term. Hell, the Bitcoin whitepaper didn't even use the term because it didn't exist yet. And it's inaccurate to go back and try to label all Merkle trees as "blockchains", when the entire point of a blockchain is the addition of a trustless consensus algorithm, eg. proof-of-work. And it's those same algorithms that make blockchains useless for any practical purpose.

A lot of modern corporate blockchains don't have trustless consensus, like the solana poo poo will have a set of whitelisted nodes belonging to the companies that participate in whatever blockchain in order to keep out the riff raff and save on energy costs. The airplane parts blockchain described upthread likely doesn't have trustless consensus. As far as I can tell, "an append-only merkle tree with no centralized source of truth" is the only definition of blockchain that fits everything that is called a blockchain, and it fits git also.

e: Also the "blocks" in a blockchain are explicitly the branches & leaves in the merkle tree, and the "chain" people are referring to is the tree, there's no doubt about that, so saying "well nobody called that a blockchain until later" doesn't change the fact that the tech predates bitcoin.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 22, 2023

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Are we pretending `git rebase` doesn't exist then?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Telarra posted:

Are we pretending `git rebase` doesn't exist then?

Git rebase explicitly does not modify existing commits, it creates new ones with different contents.

e: --amend also creates a new commit

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

So you've thrown away blockchains needing consensus, or their entries being digitally signed, or even the promise of being immutable in practice. The reason you've had to water down your definition so badly to fit all the examples you've heard people call 'blockchains', is because you're trying to define it in terms of implementation details, when the reason people are calling them blockchains is because it's a marketing buzzword used to associate their product with the cryptocurrency craze.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
just gently caress already, jesus

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Surely the blockchain is very good since Richard Garriott said so and he is an actual king.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

The "Greed is Good" magazine but instead of Michael Douglas it's Sam Bankman-Fried

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Chev posted:

Surely the blockchain is very good since Richard Garriott said so and he is an actual king.

he's but a lord though

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

30.5 Days posted:

It's a decentralized database that doesn't necessarily require explicit (authorized, authenticated) trust between the parties who read and write to the database. It's frequently used for ledgers because it (must, by design) keeps a history of all changes made to all entities in the database. Git is a blockchain. You'll note that the way git is actually used in practice involves a single centralized actor who everyone trusts implicitly and controls access with traditional auth, and there is a good reason for that.

However even when using it in a decentralized manner, git is a little bit different from most other blockchain setups. With git the idea is that you have connections to a limited number of other nodes, manually added by a human, authenticated with SSH, and exchanges between those nodes are done manually, by a human.

When people say blockchain nowadays they mean bitcoin, where nodes are constantly sharing all changes they make with other nodes, the nodes validate the changes algorithmically and some sort of proof is provided, like a proof of work, that proves that the node submitting the change is permitted to be submitting that change at that time. Generally changes made by consumers are submitted to some quorum of nodes who validate the changes (if you are moving money from X to Y account you have to use X account's private key and the existing history of the ledger has to establish that account X has sufficient funds, or some similar sort of requirement), attempt to establish proof with the other nodes in the system, and if they can do so they are often rewarded in some way for lending their compute power to the process of validating changes.

That's just the technological side, though, because when people say blockchain what they REALLY mean is using this technology to establish an unregulated security that people buy and sell in the blockchain and then getting people to speculate on it with the value of the security ostensibly coming from some "blockchain product" you've developed, like a game, but with everyone implicitly understanding that it's really about gambling that number will go up. Most blockchain products are scams both because:

1) The technology, while very interesting on an academic level, doesn't have any real value
2) Everyone signs onto these products with the intention of scamming someone else so it's pretty dog bites man when they end up being the ones scammed

I didn't expect to see an answer like this in MMO HMO. Thank you for taking the time to write this (so I didn't have to).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the only blockchain i need is when u follow up deflection with shield flash

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I reached level 60 on the project 1999 green server

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I was searching for the blockchain definition earlier today, so this was very informative tbh, thanks!

what about the wow private server Ascension where you get to pick all your abilities and create custom classes? Is it good?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
e: it's too early and skimming posts isn't going well

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

an iksar marauder posted:

I reached level 60 on the project 1999 green server

Time to start farming blockchains