Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

BattleMaster posted:

It's just a fun collectible. They're big coins themed after the military tradition of giving members of units similar big coins that they can show off to prove membership in their unit, and there's a tradition of calling people out to see if they have the coin on them while out drinking.

Is it the same size as a hex? Seems like that would be useful if you could use it as an objective marker if something too.

I never found out what to do with the flags you got in my 2nd edition boxed set either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Use them as gates for a street slalom.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Comstar posted:

Is it the same size as a hex? Seems like that would be useful if you could use it as an objective marker if something too.

I never found out what to do with the flags you got in my 2nd edition boxed set either.
You're supposed to slot them into the standees so that your Marik Shadowhawk is distinguishable from my Liao Shadowhawk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arquinsiel posted:

You're supposed to slot them into the standees so that your Marik Shadowhawk is distinguishable from my Liao Shadowhawk.

Wouldn't you be able to tell the Liao one because it's back was turned and it was fleeing to the nearest map edge? :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

ohhh yeah, that anecdote where he offended the entire room in like three sentences

His idea of nuclear ownage was implying that Michael Steiner was a girl because he showered every day, so you know he didn't wipe his rear end.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Attention enemy Mechwarriors. Before battle I have but one question...

Who betta than Kenyon?"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Doesn't the Taurian Concordat have a surprisingly robust public education system and the highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere? It doesn't seem like a horrendous place to be, SLDF tune-up campaigns notwithstanding.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Everyone but the Feddies have near-universal literacy (you know, on par with a modern developed nation today). It's not really that impressive except that the Taurians define themselves entirely in opposition to what the Davions are.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's a bit expensive and I don't want the timber wolf--hope the a la carte options are extensive

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Makes me wonder if they overestimated the desire for the 4" Timber Wolf and have a few hundred taking up space in a warehouse they want to get rid of.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think this is the first time it's available so there's no way to know.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I wouldn't mind a bigger model to try some real gnarly hobby stuff on but a Mad Cat is kind of binch basic to me. Gimmie an urbie or raven or atlas or something.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I think this is the first time it's available so there's no way to know.

Isn't it just this one?
https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-museum-scale-metal-miniatures

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, it's a new plastic one.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Which website are the tier pictures for the KS campaign coming from?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I normally stick to stock units that belong to the same faction but my SO has recently insisted that I'm allowed to use custom units if I want, even in a game where he doesn't use any customs. The problem is that I feel like anything I would normally want is pretty well serviced by stock units. But there are a few areas of possibility that are barely represented by any canon units.

So I guess I'm pulling out the mobile structure rules to make a land-ironclad. I'm currently thinking of using a 1x3 hex template with either turrets or lots of guns in the side arcs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Which website are the tier pictures for the KS campaign coming from?

CGL is posting them on their FB, presumably other socials too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

That's a bit expensive and I don't want the timber wolf--hope the a la carte options are extensive

I'm hoping to get some extra big Timber Wolves. They seem like perfect display pieces and are a good excuse to try different schemes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BattleMaster posted:

I normally stick to stock units that belong to the same faction but my SO has recently insisted that I'm allowed to use custom units if I want, even in a game where he doesn't use any customs. The problem is that I feel like anything I would normally want is pretty well serviced by stock units. But there are a few areas of possibility that are barely represented by any canon units.

So I guess I'm pulling out the mobile structure rules to make a land-ironclad. I'm currently thinking of using a 1x3 hex template with either turrets or lots of guns in the side arcs.
I was messing around with trying to make a Koenig Monster out of a Leopard a while back. Didn't really work, due to how LAM technology doesn't really work with dropships.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
What's the exact scale for the Timber Wolf? 15mm?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Weird tiny thing I didn't even know until I just read rules for Adepticon tournaments just now: Floating crit rule has it that after you roll a 2 for the hit location, if you roll a leg location against a 'Mech in partial cover, you reroll until a non-leg location is rolled.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wouldn't mind a bigger model to try some real gnarly hobby stuff on but a Mad Cat is kind of binch basic to me. Gimmie an urbie or raven or atlas or something.

It says it’s free from the manufacturer for previous delays.

The demand for an urbie/warhammer/etc is going to be high if it works.

What tabletop size is it? 28mm skirmish?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

FishFood posted:

What's the exact scale for the Timber Wolf? 15mm?

If it is about 4 inches and the real mech is about 12 meters tall, that’s roughly 1:120. 15mm scale is about 1:100 depending on how much scale creep you have. So close to 15mm scale but probably a slight tad smaller.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

It’s only been 2 insane vs. 1 not-insane in terms of fiction that’s ever been considered to be the “current space year” timeframe. Jury’s still out on Daoshen since he enjoys walking the thin red line and isn’t dead yet.

You’re best off enjoying the Thuggees rather than the Chancellor if you’re looking for insane Liaos

It's a heck of a ruling family.

Max Liao - bonkers
Romano Liao - bonkers
Sun-Tzu Liao (Stackpole era) - kinda bonkers, got better with other authors
Kali Liao - whoo boy... *side note* did Greg Land draw the portrait of her for the sourcebook? It's a bit much...

I haven't bought a sourcebook or novel in years, so I dunno about the current leadership.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PhotoKirk posted:

Kali Liao - whoo boy... *side note* did Greg Land draw the portrait of her for the sourcebook? It's a bit much...

Which sourcebook? Sarna has three depictions of her from three different books. the 2011 Handbook House Liao one's pretty nice actually

I wonder what happened to her kid (perhaps more than one kid)? They'd be well into their 80s by 3152.

Anyways Kali is who I was referring to with regards to the Thuggee cult

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

BattleMaster posted:

It's just a fun collectible. They're big coins themed after the military tradition of giving members of units similar big coins that they can show off to prove membership in their unit, and there's a tradition of calling people out to see if they have the coin on them while out drinking.

Sometimes you can wager your coin too in a form of drunken counting-coup sort of way, and you can get given one as a sign of respect from someone, so a general might have a smaller set of these things he gives to good friends or whatever. I think you can both buy and be given challenge coins from the president.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Which sourcebook? Sarna has three depictions of her from three different books. the 2011 Handbook House Liao one's pretty nice actually

I wonder what happened to her kid (perhaps more than one kid)? They'd be well into their 80s by 3152.

Anyways Kali is who I was referring to with regards to the Thuggee cult

Her kid had a kid named Ki-Linn. Ki-Linn married Jacob Bannson and then protested a cease fire with the Feddies by setting herself on fire. Never say she doesn't have conviction.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm glad all the cool characters are coming back after a century.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Oh good, someone else in the running for 'stupidest name in BattleTech.' Kitsune Kurita-Davion isn't the runaway victor anymore.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh good, someone else in the running for 'stupidest name in BattleTech.' Kitsune Kurita-Davion isn't the runaway victor anymore.
Doesn't seem that different from a real bame, and pronunciation is likely similar to an Irish name.

On the other hand, her portrait on Sarna is Bai Ling's face photoshopped onto a stock model :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's Qilin Liao, with the spelling hosed up by Wizkids.

Forgot abot Katana Tormark.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh wow, that's totally off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Someone clearly had no idea how a Q is pronounced in pinyin.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've only played with VSPLs in the video game; are they poop from an rear end in the TT game too?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Always assume that the video games are lying to you. They're pretty solid but probably too complicated.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They get high damage and -3 to hit at short range, balanced by the fact that the to-hit bonus and damage falls off at medium and long range and that they weigh more than normal pulse lasers. They're definitely a sidegrade from normal pulse lasers rather than being particularly better or worse.

The falloff isn't a problem if you use something like the Agrotera that can jump very far, and the to-hit bonus completely cancels out the jump penalty and gets you ahead if you walked or ran instead. I've been pretty happy the few times I've fielded them.

Defiance Industries posted:

Always assume that the video games are lying to you. They're pretty solid but probably too complicated.

They're not too complicated, the range brackets work out to -3/0/+3 (compared with normal pulse's -2/0/+2) which makes it easy to remember, and the damage is right on the sheet.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 22, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
VSPLs rule but their best performance isn't as a 1:1 tonnage swap (or as close as you can manage) for regular pulse lasers. When they go off they go off, though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I want to see what a Wraith can do with the LPL downgraded to a MVSPL and the saved weight goes into AES or a Targeting Computer or another MPL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
lotts folks on reddit grumbling about the reveals of the kickstarter crap so far. Some of these people didn't work in any job whatsoever that required the use of logistics through a pandemic, global markets collapse and an inflation crisis and it shows