Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

There is no way that Seattle doesn't take Anderson if he falls to them. Unless they trade back, because some other team would trade up for him.

I've seen a few mock drafts that have Tyree Wilson ahead of Anderson. Not sure if that's legit or not but drafts are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/21/mock-trade-negotiation-for-aaron-rodgers-with-jets-wire/?taid=6419f0aee27f250001936b62

quote:

Brian Gutekunst and Joe Douglas haven’t gotten a deal done for Aaron Rodgers. Two smart general managers are struggling to figure out a complicated trade with unique dynamics, but each side wants the same thing: Rodgers playing for the New York Jets in 2023.

While Gutekunst and Douglas continue trying to complete a trade, Zach Kruse of Packers Wire and Billy Riccette of Jets Wire decided to give the negotiation side a try.

The final result of our back-and-forth: Aaron Rodgers to the Jets in exchange for a 2023 second-round pick (No. 43), wide receiver Elijah Moore and a conditional 2024 pick (starts as a third-round pick but would turn into a first-round pick if Rodgers is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2024 league year). Also, the Packers pay no part of his nearly $60 million roster bonus.

There was an attempt to get two first-round picks, an attempt to get 2022 first-round pick Jermaine Johnson, and an attempt to get Darnell Savage included in the deal. The Jets wanted us to pay a big chunk of Rodgers’ salary.

The compromise was a second-rounder and Moore (2021 second-round pick) as the 2023 compensation and the potential of a 2024 first-round pick if Rodgers plays a second season in New York.

The deal provides the Packers with another top-50 pick to address a roster need and build around Jordan Love this year, plus Moore, a talented receiver who caught five touchdown passes as a rookie and could be an excellent complementary weapon alongside Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs. Moore is 23, on a cheap rookie deal and plays a position of need, making him an ideal piece to add here and bridge the gap.

Rodgers turns 40 in December and hasn’t committed to playing past 2023, so the 2024 pick had to be conditional. If he plays a second season in New York, the Packers get a first-rounder next year. If he doesn’t, the Packers get a third-rounder.

So, the trade becomes this: One year of Rodgers in New York for a second-round pick in 2023, Moore and a third-round pick in 2024, or two years of Rodgers in New York for a second-round pick in 2023, Moore and a first-round pick in 2024.

Missing out on the 13th overall pick hurts here, but the Packers really can’t afford to pay more of Rodgers’ salary (which would accelerate immediately onto the team’s cap), and the Jets are taking on what could be nothing more than a one-year rental at quarterback that comes equipped with a $60 million bonus this year.

There are so many different factors in play here. The Packers are moving on at quarterback and don’t want to pay the big bonus, but Rodgers’ overall contract and playing timeline are big hurdles. The Jets are boxed in at quarterback and need to get a deal done for Rodgers. A deal must get done before the draft to include 2023 picks, and the Packers need to get a deal done before Week 1 to avoid paying the bonus. The Jets just need Rodgers on the roster.

Who knows how this will play out? If nothing else, this exercise proved how difficult it will be to figure out a compromise that works for both teams.

Moore + '23 2nd + '24 3rd or 1st. I wouldn't hate that, I think that's very fair. This would mean the Packers are free to focus on Edge and TE in the early rounds in the draft.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I still think it’s bullshit that the draft is 5 weeks away.

Absolute bullshit. Not fair.

I do not care much at all for the wait.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1638248741164445708

Still doubt he really wants to play

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

I still think it’s bullshit that the draft is 5 weeks away.

Absolute bullshit. Not fair.

I do not care much at all for the wait.

That one year the draft was in mid-May was awful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

brb gonna go buy this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/21/mock-trade-negotiation-for-aaron-rodgers-with-jets-wire/?taid=6419f0aee27f250001936b62

Moore + '23 2nd + '24 3rd or 1st. I wouldn't hate that, I think that's very fair. This would mean the Packers are free to focus on Edge and TE in the early rounds in the draft.

5th day of the league year seems too early for how much Rodgers has dithered. if I were the Jets I'd want it to be a '23 2nd, '24 3rd, conditional '25 2nd if he starts for the Jets in 2024 (plus Moore)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I just want the trade to happen like 15 minutes before Trump gets arrested and all the news and hype about our one special boy gets buried in the news and hype about the other special boy.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That shirt is loving sick

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

brb gonna go buy this

Link to the sweater tia

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Link to the sweater tia

https://www.jacket-hub.com/product/detroit-lions-villain-hoodie/

Kopitar
May 21, 2009
I don't see the Lions drafting Carter, it goes against everything they've done so far, picking a dude that left his teammates to die does not sound like a team first player to me. There's also the clear lack of effort in a number of games and being out of shape....i just don't see it, maybe i'm blind, i dunno.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kopitar posted:

I don't see the Lions drafting Carter, it goes against everything they've done so far, picking a dude that left his teammates to die does not sound like a team first player to me. There's also the clear lack of effort in a number of games and being out of shape....i just don't see it, maybe i'm blind, i dunno.

I feel the same way about the Bears and Carter. I just don't see it with the emphasis they've put on culture and character. And the fact is, they've practiced what they preach, so it really seems unlikely.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Maybe a good dose of GRIT and/or HITS is just what Carter needs to turn his life around.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d be fine if the Lions didn’t draft him, given the opportunity. At this point though I have no idea where their picks will sit. I’d expect a trade down somewhere in their top four, but I’m routinely wrong about everything.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't see them taking a TE with the later round 1 pick. It's not a position they seem to care much about and from what I understand that's one of the few positions this draft is deep on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

brb gonna go buy this

TFW you let Jamaal Williams walk :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I read some gossip somewhere, probably reddit, that Jamaal’s agent was being greedy so Detroit said ok imma take this same offer and go fishing and welp

I can’t find it now but that would make a lot more sense

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I read on POD that the Lions made him an offer and he wound up taking less from the Saints? Which'd be....very weird! Unless it was some stupid insanely backloaded "you're never gonna see this money because we're gonna cut you after year 2" thing like the Eagles made to CJGJ which, y'know, led him to sign with us. If it was something like that, I can see why he would call it disrespectful.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I read some gossip somewhere, probably reddit, that Jamaal’s agent was being greedy so Detroit said ok imma take this same offer and go fishing and welp

I can’t find it now but that would make a lot more sense

Ah, those dastardly agents trying to get their clients paid real money before they’re forced to retire at 30 because their joints don’t work anymore.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Ah, those dastardly agents trying to get their clients paid real money before they’re forced to retire at 30 because their joints don’t work anymore.

I should have put “greedy” in quotes because I was memory quoting what I had read, but yeah you’re absolutely correct

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I’m a lions fan now

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I dunno they may be dastardly if they read the market wrong and end up causing said client to leave money on the table. Its a tough call.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's very funny that people think that players aren't often the ones turning down these deals. It's not like the Agent can force a player to take a deal.

Also sometimes a player would be willing(willing might be the wrong word, fine with or accepting?) to play for less money somewhere else, if they feel slighted by a team they did all this work for offering them what they feel is an insulting deal.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 22, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

It's very funny that people think that players aren't often the ones turning down these deals. It's not like the Agent can force a player to take a deal.

Also sometimes a player would be willing(willing might be the wrong word, fine with or accepting?) to play for less money somewhere else, if they feel slighted by a team they did all this work for offering them what they feel is an insulting deal.

Yeah, I think agents probably have a better feel for what their clients are worth than the player.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Agents still mess up because they can't predict what teams are going to do.

Jesse Bates got 60 million. Gardner-Johnson took a one year deal. I guarantee neither he nor his agent thought that would happen.

As for Jamaal. He was coming off a career year, that he won't replicate, he's 28 and this is his last chance to get paid. He became a known entity to fans via Hard Knocks, interviews that went viral, and did a full circuit of media around Super Bowl/Pro Bowl. His agent was doing work to help him secure the bag.

It was reported Lions and Williams were not close. Looking at the Cominsky contract and what he said. Brad seems to approach these with a number for the player to fit with the team, and if they don't want to take it he tells them to go to market and get a better number, but moves on if they remain non-committal. I don't know the numbers that either Brad or Jamaal wanted, but I did hear rumors that Brad was near Montgomery's contract and Jamaal's agent was looking for closer to 8. (strictly rumor and no idea if either side changed their number).

To go back to Cominsky. He said after a day or so of free agency that there was interest, but nobody blew the doors off and he wanted to be in Detroit so he took the deal.

I don't think Holmes is ice cold in these deals, but he's not going to let anything influence what he wants to pay. He overpaid for Anzalone (imo), but it was a number they felt good about and recognized his value as a leader and locker room presence. I'm pretty sure he viewed Jamaal the same way. When he was told no he looked at other RB and signed Montgomery. End of story.

When players and teams talk about business this is that. At the end he had to take the best offer left and there might have been some panic, because Zeke had got cut, and maybe teams interested in Jamaal want to explore that etc. And he was hurt because he wanted to be with the Lions and it didn't happen.

Danny LaFever fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 22, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/byajperez/status/1638190221920460800

loving lmao ford raptor

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked this

And as far as that expensive truck, Davis wouldn’t have any use for it anyway. He has home detention as he awaits sentencing in federal court. He’s been sentenced to 32 years in prison in state court already.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Danny LaFever posted:

Agents still mess up because they can't predict what teams are going to do.

Jesse Bates got 60 million. Gardner-Johnson took a one year deal. I guarantee neither he nor his agent thought that would happen.

As for Jamaal. He was coming off a career year, that he won't replicate, he's 28 and this is his last chance to get paid. He became a known entity to fans via Hard Knocks, interviews that went viral, and did a full circuit of media around Super Bowl/Pro Bowl. His agent was doing work to help him secure the bag.

It was reported Lions and Williams were not close. Looking at the Cominsky contract and what he said. Brad seems to approach these with a number for the player to fit with the team, and if they don't want to take it he tells them to go to market and get a better number, but moves on if they remain non-committal. I don't know the numbers that either Brad or Jamaal wanted, but I did hear rumors that Brad was near Montgomery's contract and Jamaal's agent was looking for closer to 8. (strictly rumor and no idea if either side changed their number).

To go back to Cominsky. He said after a day or so of free agency that there was interest, but nobody blew the doors off and he wanted to be in Detroit so he took the deal.

I don't think Holmes is ice cold in these deals, but he's not going to let anything influence what he wants to pay. He overpaid for Anzalone (imo), but it was a number they felt good about and recognized his value as a leader and locker room presence. I'm pretty sure he viewed Jamaal the same way. When he was told no he looked at other RB and signed Montgomery. End of story.

When players and teams talk about business this is that. At the end he had to take the best offer left and there might have been some panic, because Zeke had got cut, and maybe teams interested in Jamaal want to explore that etc. And he was hurt because he wanted to be with the Lions and it didn't happen.

Some local writers are definitely pushing the "they offered the same contract they gave to Montgomery" line. Saying the agent took it and shopped it and then didn't get back to them so they moved on. It's plausible, the lions front office does seem to like people with passion like Jamaal has, but he obviously wanted to test the market on what will be his last chance to get paid (more power to him) so he left.

As a fan I'm gonna miss him being on the team, and I hope he has tons of success going forward, but I think with Montgomery the team is better off. I also think they take a RB, so it's possible jamaal saw the writing on the wall that he could be 3rd string next year. Anyway... He's a good dude.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the Lions will take an RB too, and it will be the Swift replacement.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Should’ve taken that Ford Raptor money and used it to pay for the volleyball stadium instead. :shrug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Should’ve taken that Ford Raptor money and used it to pay for the volleyball stadium instead. :shrug:

Look at this Pat McAfee motherfucker over here slandering the good name of Brett Favre

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sataere posted:

Look at this Pat McAfee motherfucker over here slandering the good name of Brett Favre

Brett Favre stole from the poor.

OH SHI-

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Brett Favre stole from the poor.

OH SHI-

HE WAS JUST HAVING FUN OUT THERE!!!!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sataere posted:

HE WAS JUST HAVING FUN OUT THERE!!!!

Should've already known his stuff would end up in the hands of the opposition

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kdrudy posted:

:perfect:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kdrudy posted:

:lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/3/22/23650925/detroit-lions-bandwagon-filling-up-2023-season-national-attention-hype

Yes, yes, say more nice things about my team.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

quote:

Taking an aggressive stand with the Packers would have a collateral benefit. Rodgers clearly wants someone to take up his cause that the Packers are being prickly (or prick-y) about the situation. If the Jets tell the Packers to shove your feckin’ cheese up your rear end, Rodgers will become even more determined to do everything he can to repay the Jets with a great performance in 2023.

...uh huh

quote:

It’s not personal. It’s strictly business. And it’s time for the Jets to take a page from the Marty Lyons playbook and give the Packers the business.

These are the New York Jets. Technically, the New Jersey Jets. They should start demonstrating some of the attitude that those in their fan base would exhibit when dealing with difficult people in challenging situations.
(Both courtesy of Florio, of course)

First and mostly 'WHY'. The gently caress have the Packers done to the Jets regarding this issue? Why should they just up and bite our rear end about it? gently caress off. "Ey! I'm East Coastin' 'ere!!" No. The gently caress. Like, I don't want to keep Rodgers at this point but I haven't seen Jack poo poo from the Packers or local media calling for any kind of screw job in ANY way. The hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jets should negotiate like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySQNrQ3hj8&t=53s