Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's the podima thing.

Podima co-ran games on a discord, mostly short-length high population stuff so think less like your D&D game and more like a LARP with 30 people doing roleplaying for a couple of weeks. Also it's not co-op, more like one of those murder mystery party games where each player might have secret info about what happened and part of the game is figuring out what happened. They did a bunch of them, like 20+ since 2018. Most of them were apparently quite benign in content, albeit intense experiences since with these games you log in at any moment there's people there playing their characters and doign stuff so any time you're not logged in you're missing out... I'm told it can be very immersive with loads of drama.

Apparently one of the GMs, who Mr. Nice is linking to there, did lots of creepy poo poo, like reallllly excessive creepy poo poo built into a game; and Podima's response to people complaining and saying they were uncomfortable was to pressure them to stick to the game fiction as written, not talk to anyone else (sharing secrets is bad and you'll get booted from the game and future games and this community!), and just deal with it. That's super not OK, that's where my custom av text comes from, one of my responses in that thread. Nobody can be an admin on SA if they have a history of telling people complaining about having gross sex poo poo pushed on them is to tell them it's part of the game and they need to not tell anyone because that'd compromise the game. Like one of the key duties of an SA administrator is to deal properly with the most serious complaints, people being harassed via PMs, that sort of thing, and obviously someone who has this history is disqualified.

So it's not quite the same as Podima being the one inventing or playing out the gross creepy poo poo personally, but in some ways it's worse because Podima was in a position of authority to help people and instead he made it worse for them and even after people were basically ostracized from that community afterward for the crimes of complaining he didn't do poo poo about it or even mention any of this had happened when we made him a moderator.

Podima was doing so well as a mod. I'd heard nothing but supportive things, he was positive and creative and energetic and had insightful things to say about moderation issues. I didn't know him really before he became a mod like six months ago but since then I was feeling great about the whole situation and then this came right out of the blue and blindsided everyone. Part of what's got me down is that the latest game, not the Riven one but the one with loads of creepy poo poo, was apparently run on an offsite discord in 2020-21 and I was already a mod at that time. Nobody came to me to tell me this about our game room IK, nobody went to admins either, and I feel like poo poo that this was basically happening to people and they didn't feel comfortable asking us for help. Asking me for help.

Edits: I have learned more and this stuff here isn't really accurate. Podima directly ran RP with people that was not OK, including an extended torture scene, and I don't want anyone thinking better of him based on what I typed.

I get that there's some very funny aspects to all this but I'm not in a place where I can laugh about it at all. It just sucks that people in my community got hurt by someone I respected and supported and publicly promoted.

pmchem posted:

guys I think leper's thank-you was because this was the chill place not filled with current drama :(

Nah it's OK though. This is still that place. Nobody in here is looking for my scalp.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah it's the podima thing.

Podima co-ran games on a discord, mostly short-length high population stuff so think less like your D&D game and more like a LARP with 30 people doing roleplaying for a couple of weeks. Also it's not co-op, more like one of those murder mystery party games where each player might have secret info about what happened and part of the game is figuring out what happened. They did a bunch of them, like 20+ since 2018. Most of them were apparently quite benign in content, albeit intense experiences since with these games you log in at any moment there's people there playing their characters and doign stuff so any time you're not logged in you're missing out... I'm told it can be very immersive with loads of drama.

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun until you get to, you know, the rest of your post

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun until you get to, you know, the rest of your post

It probably could although it sounds like always-on roleplaying is unhealthy anyway. Reminds me of that couple who fell into WOW and wound up just playing it constantly while garbage piled up in their house and their kids got taken away. When there's something constantly going on online that you can't bow out of without missing out, that can lead to really obsessive behavior. If you ran a game like that that went for normal RPG hours, like four hours on alternating friday nights or something, that'd probably be a better experience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the post where it really starts to get funny.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027368&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post530568570

Like people are pointing out some really bad poo poo before this and this dude blasts through the wall like the kool aid man saying "no, actually, I'm the creepy pervert you should be mad at me. Podima was just my creepy pervert lackey!"

It's like a detective show where someone is being accused of being the mastermind behind a murder or robbery and the person who actually did it gets so angry about someone else getting credit for it they confess.

"What, that idiot couldn't have pulled off this brilliant murder, only I'm smart enough to do it."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Well now I feel bad mention the av sorry that happened leper :(

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This is why I only play games by myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's OK I am posting in yospos now, seems cool and chill

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Also for added context, the MAIN THING people have been screaming about on SAD is that people get promoted to admin with zero feedback from posters. The SAD-mins were getting swamped with requests, so as a show of good faith Jeffrey announced three new admins without soliciting any kind of feedback from the community, and then that thread was made about podima.

You're a good dude Leper. I'm happy the dumb TFF chat is an oasis from other poo poo, but that thread really was some amazing content.

Also to Podima's credit, they immediately stepped down and apologized, and do seem to feel legitimately bad for their involvement in the...Riven RP incident.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Leperflesh posted:

it's OK I am posting in yospos now, seems cool and chill

:gonk:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hey, he could’ve said cspam.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hey, he could’ve said cspam.

TFF would have staged an intervention

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is why I only play games by myself.

I, too, enjoy playing with myself

Wait, no not-

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
One more call, for a less problematic Discord experience

General Dog posted:

Game Night is back again tonight at the traditional time, 7:30 CDT!

https://discord.gg/BjyQPrVR

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

I, too, enjoy playing with myself

Wait, no not-

I almost made the same joke and decided not to :laugh:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Like, of all games to choose from... Riven?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rectal Placenta posted:

Like, of all games to choose from... Riven?

Just thinking about that Final Fantasy house thread

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

I almost made the same joke and decided not to :laugh:

Yeah, I was ready to quote until I kept reading :hfive:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leper is gonna go ‘yobin

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve understood like six total words in the past 60 posts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Wait until we get Pron actually serious long posting about 40k, you haven't seen anything you don't understand yet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Also for added context, the MAIN THING people have been screaming about on SAD is that people get promoted to admin with zero feedback from posters. The SAD-mins were getting swamped with requests, so as a show of good faith Jeffrey announced three new admins without soliciting any kind of feedback from the community, and then that thread was made about podima.

You're a good dude Leper. I'm happy the dumb TFF chat is an oasis from other poo poo, but that thread really was some amazing content.

Also to Podima's credit, they immediately stepped down and apologized, and do seem to feel legitimately bad for their involvement in the...Riven RP incident.

Sadmin would be a good username.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

C-Euro posted:

Sadmin would be a good username.

Sadmin Hussein

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

LeeMajors posted:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/statu...ingawful.com%2F

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I can't believe we lost WW2

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Shohei vs Trout to end it is pretty crazy though

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lol USA. Officially now a colony of Japan.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Lol USA. Officially now a colony of Japan.

i think this means they get the Cook Islands and Saipan back

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Shohei vs Trout to end it is pretty crazy though

Almost like it was scripted

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Almost like it was scripted

Script chat here, I haven't been paying attention other than highlights but I saw someone mention the US had to lose their comically should have been easy to win group to make this the finals? Otherwise they and Japan would have met up earlier?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol Trout will never win

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

It probably could although it sounds like always-on roleplaying is unhealthy anyway. Reminds me of that couple who fell into WOW and wound up just playing it constantly while garbage piled up in their house and their kids got taken away. When there's something constantly going on online that you can't bow out of without missing out, that can lead to really obsessive behavior. If you ran a game like that that went for normal RPG hours, like four hours on alternating friday nights or something, that'd probably be a better experience.

I meant more along the lines of treating it like a drop in game where you don't have to keep a schedule and things evolve whether you're paying attention or not similar to the real world but yeah I can see how someone might look at it as always needing to be on

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1638361179025477633

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I can't believe we lost WW2

I still maintain that is the alternate history that is behind Big Hero 6.

Ohtani needs to leave the Angels ASAP too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it’s a charming element of baseball that ring chasing isn’t a thing, and that generational talents are more or less content to play quietly for 0.450 teams for their entire careers. It’s just a job, and and I think that’s great.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1638374718733418500?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

Oh god why

Who asked for power rangers that are barreling down on 50yrs old

e: lol Billy the Blue Ranger is 54

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Go Go Metamucil!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Gonna take a shot in the dark and say the actors aren’t the ones in the suits

they werent in the original series either

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tired: Bringing back the American actors for MMPR almost 30 years later

Wired: Translating that movie from Japan which had entire generations of sentai a couple years back

Inspired: Translating and releasing the recent season that was Teen Vogue levels progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say the actors aren’t the ones in the suits

they werent in the original series either

Weren't most of the action scenes just taken straight from the Japanese show?