Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im a shallow language model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Confusedslight posted:

Hahaha take that. I'll be 40 in 2035 so I won't have to grow old like some of you will. Will take the wins where I can.

im 40 now.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

you already grew old congrats

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Microplastics posted:

It's not on any of the torrent sites I use, but someone offered to PM a magnet link to goons. Search my post history in this thread to find who it was.

On the show: very very good, though it all seems a bit of a sudden collapse (the kind that would take the compete sudden stoppage of fuel into the country) which I can imagine only possible in wartime (and even then, countries usually manage to keep the fuel flowing).

Also it's not explain why every nuclear reactor suddenly needs manual cooling. Pretty sure they generate their own power to run the cooling pumps and can't you just lower the control rods if you wanna shut the reactors down for a while?

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/the-collapse

Here's the link. You might need to set up an account.

I like the supermarket, fuel station and the retirement home episodes the most. The rest didn't really grab me.

BCR has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Mar 22, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Along as we get to ASSEMBLE and then punch something in the dick.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

BRJurgis posted:

I stopped reading this thread for awhile because I didn't want anymore ammo.

I just caught up over the past day or two and I guess it was always still there... its drumbeat echoing in my heart.

Summer is Coming

soon so shall I

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What, you're also gonna be coming? Thanks for the heads up I guess

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
i vant to suck your vater

UN warns against 'vampiric' global water use (BBC news)

quote:

A United Nations report has warned of a looming global water crisis and an "imminent risk" of shortages due to overconsumption and climate change.

The world is "blindly travelling a dangerous path" of "vampiric overconsumption and overdevelopment", the report says.

quote:

Richard Connor, the lead author of the report, said that about 10% of the global population "currently lives in areas that are high or critical water stress".
"In our report, we say that up to 3.5 billion people live under conditions of water stress at least one month a year," he told the BBC.

According to the most recent UN climate report, published Monday by the IPCC expert panel, "roughly half of the world's population currently experience severe water scarcity for at least part of the year".

quote:

"If we don't address it, there definitely will be a global crisis," he said.

:rip:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The state of the climate in 2023 (BBC Future)

some rapid fire quotes to whet your doom appetite:

quote:

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere this year is forecast to be 419.2 parts per million (ppm)

[...]

The last time CO2 levels exceeded 400ppm was around four million years ago, during the Pliocene era, when global temperatures were 2-4C (3.6-7.2F) warmer and sea levels were 10-25m (33-82ft) higher than today.

quote:

forests worldwide are shrinking at an alarming rate. According to new research, destruction of tropical forests is far outstripping the current rate of regrowth.

[...]

One of the biggest concerns is that over a quarter of the Amazon rainforest now emits more carbon than it absorbs as a result of deforestation and dryer conditions.

[...]

"This is a tipping point where we see a different kind of ecosystem in the Amazon basin that is becoming more like a savannah than a rainforest and [it is one] we're extremely worried about."

quote:

2022 was the sixth-warmest year since records began in 1880. The oceans were the hottest ever recorded in 2022. The 10 warmest years on record have all occurred since 2010.

[...]

Record temperatures usually coincide with an El Niño event (a large band of warm water that forms in the Pacific Ocean every few years), but last year was a La Niña event (the opposite of El Niño when a cooler band of water forms). Without La Niña lowering temperatures, 2022 would have been much hotter.

quote:

Arctic sea ice has shrunk to its fifth-lowest maximum on record

[...]

The rapid loss of Arctic sea ice is not just a symptom of climate change, but also a driver. It is diminishing the albedo effect, which is the capacity of the snow and ice to reflect heat. "It's a runaway feedback process," says Siegert. "As the ice starts to retreat, the white reflective surface is replaced by a dark heat-absorbing surface, which leads to further loss of sea ice."

quote:

There is now less sea ice surrounding Antarctica than at any time since satellites started measuring it in the late 1970s.

[...]

Antarctica is losing ice mass at a rate of 150 billion tonnes a year. The East Antarctic ice sheet could lead to an estimated 52m (170ft) of potential sea level rise, compared to the West Antarctic ice sheet which could result in 3-4m (10-13ft).

quote:

Across the northern hemisphere, permafrost – the ground that remains frozen year-round for two or more years – is also warming rapidly.

[...]

"Since it is estimated that the current carbon storage in permafrost is more than twice [the amount] in our atmosphere, this is concerning as it will enhance overall global warming," says Stroeve.

Soils in the permafrost region, which spans 23 million sq km (8.9 million sq miles) across Siberia, Greenland, Canada and the Arctic, hold almost 1,700 billion tonnes of carbon.

Enjoy your crack pings :tipshat:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Boomers think "the grandkids will think of something"

We're loving doomed, there's nothing that can slow this down now.

:rubby:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I tend to have a song stuck in my head during my morning shaves. Today it was Two Minutes To Midnight, about the Doomsday Clock's previous lowest point (currently set to 90 seconds to midnight). The Doomsday Clock though is only about nuclear war, which got me thinking, what other Doomsday Clocks should there be and where should they be set.

I figure the Climate Change Doomsday Clock is set to 5 minutes after 1am :lol:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is 1.5C still realistic? (FT)

Some good visualisations here, apologies for transparency but I'm using an imgur automatic uploader and can't be bothered to strip it out

quote:

Paris signatories have pledged to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions, many of them by 2050. But that entails emissions falling 43 per cent by 2030 using 2019 as a baseline: a huge feat for a world reliant on fossil fuels.

quote:

Some climate scientists think 1.5C is no longer feasible while others believe we can get back on track, but only with far more drastic action.

quote:

carbon dioxide emissions hit a record high in 2022, partly because of the energy crisis caused by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Scientists estimate that the world has already warmed by at least 1.1C compared with pre-industrial levels.

quote:

Business figures — including some of Jaber’s peers in the hydrocarbon industry — are starting to argue in private that it would be better to put more emphasis on planning for a world with warmer temperatures than to focus on what is now likely to be an unachievable goal.

:thermidor:

quote:

The inclusion of 1.5C in the final [Paris] agreement was a big victory for the [Alliance of Small Island States]. Since then, it has morphed into the de facto standard for the climate movement, thanks in part to a 2018 IPCC report that revealed the stark increase in damage to the world if it warmed by 2C rather than the lower number.

quote:

Temperatures rising above the optimal 1.5C could also result in profound health effects, says Juliette White, vice-president at sustainability at pharmaceutical group AstraZeneca. At the lower number, the IPCC has estimated that 14 per cent of the population will be exposed to severe heat at least once every five years. At 2C, this figure jumps to 37 per cent.

quote:

Scientists, including Lenton, have identified other tipping points that could be reached if average temperatures rise by more than 1.5C. These include the potential melting of the Greenland ice sheet, which could eventually lead to large rises in sea levels around the world, and changes to convection currents in the north Atlantic that could cause big temperature changes in Europe and disruption to the monsoon seasons in Africa.

quote:

But some scientists already believe the 1.5C target is dead. An anonymous survey of IPCC authors by Nature in 2021 found more than 75 per cent of those who responded thought heating would reach or exceed 2.5C by the end of the century.

quote:

In some quarters of the oil and gas industry, there is already talk of emerging technology that could potentially allow the world to warm beyond 1.5C but then claw the increase back — even though the IPCC has warned that some impacts of exceeding 1.5C will probably be long lasting or irreversible.

At the energy industry’s CERAWeek conference this month, Occidental Petroleum chief executive Vicki Hollub said that direct air capture — an emerging technology to directly remove carbon dioxide from the air — could allow the oil and gas industry to continue operating for decades to come.

Then there's a section of the article titled "Reasons for optimism" which I'm not going to quote from because it's all the usual guff we know is bollocks.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The flight we're on may be experiencing some unintended and potentially adverse effects, the BBC is able to report. A group of prominent scientists state that we're currently falling, and that we're falling faster than experts previously predicted we could fall. There are worrying reports that all our engines are unresponsive, though there is some argument as to whether there were originally four engines or only two. There are also some signs that there may be issues within the cabin crew, who have been unavailable for comment, which may be related to the smoke pouring out from beneath the cockpit door. Our investigation so far can exclusively reveal that all the parachutes that should be available had been removed to save costs, which is part of a worrying trend in the industry.

One unnamed member of the crew, who agreed to be interviewed, insisted that "the wings will be able to continue carrying us forward at a safe altitude, but only if we all move to the back of the plane" which has caused conflict between passengers. There is currently some speculation that one of both of the wings may have been ripped off at some point in the incident, but we have been unable to either confirm or deny these rumours as there is currently no visibility out of the windows. Despite this concern, which would have significant impact on the viability of this plan, this is still considered to be the most easily implemented way forward and should have a noticeable effect on our trajectory by 2035.

Crack Pingley, BBC News.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Obviously we can't be saved by technology, but I nevertheless find some kinds of innovation quite interesting. For instance this company has figured out how to sequester carbon in concrete, making the process of concrete manufacturing carbon-negative.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230309-how-carbon-negative-concrete-can-help-the-climate

Instead of using cement, they use steel slag, which is just a waste product from the steel industry anyway. A tonne of concrete made this way locks up 55kg of carbon, rather than producing 200kg (ignoring all the other externalities like transport and grinding and curing and the fact that it depends on a steel industry...)

And to my surprise, it actually costs about the same, so this technology isn't necessary fighting construction companies' drive for profit.

And then there's some innovation that I just have to roll my eyes at. Like this re-invention of the sail:

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

If we work really hard, 1.5C and above can realistically be reached by the end of this decade. Oh you mean keeping warming under 1.5C? Well,

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

antipattern posted:

If we work really hard, 1.5C and above can realistically be reached by the end of this decade. Oh you mean keeping warming under 1.5C? Well,

lmao we don't have to work hard to make that happen at all

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Good news! Winter is cancelled!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Been quoting the discussed IPCC reports and UN statements to people.

Sometimes they act like this is common knowledge, despite insisting things are improving and eating up and regurgitating every article about innovation and technology solutions they come across.

Sometimes they desperately wail "but trump/mtg/tucker Carlson!" (or some, "Biden/bill gates/hillary!")

Sometimes they rather dismissively "accept" it, and continue planning for their future, planning to have children, planning their children's futures.

One dude started telling me that actually AI is the true threat, and you just know there's something going on because they told us X but they're not telling us Y and also ancient aliens.

Turns out this is somebody else's fault, and somebody else's problem, but dont worry somebody else is going to solve it... plus "you know it's not healthy to fixate on this kind of thing what about your life?" Which is funny because I live like a simple hedonist with a job, and aside from alcohol weed music and carnal pursuits I also get fulfillment from telling people their dumb world destroyed the future and is going to end.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why aren't we at 2.4C + again already if we are over 400 PPM?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Why have they only posted the policymaker summary so far for the new IPCC synthesis report? Are they still last-minute revising the full report, scrambling to make the March deadline?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

There's lag between ppm and temperature, plus there are other factors (we still have ice caps, for example)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

actionjackson posted:

It takes time.

Humans function on a year to year or decade time scale. The Earth's climate can't flip that fast, it takes time to absorb all the extra energy and to burn through the buffers that were stabilizing the climate.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

And then there's some innovation that I just have to roll my eyes at. Like this re-invention of the sail:

looks to me as if those sails are telescopic. that would mean they’ve build a huge boat called the oceanbird capable of flipping the bird at the ocean, which rules

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

actionjackson posted:

Global dimming from aerosol emissions shields us temporarily from approximately 0.8-1.2*c of warming, which is not considered in the 1.4*c of warming we are commonly understood to be at as of 2023. Check the math.

Also the oceans are still very cold from coming out of an ice age and have been sinking staggering amounts of heat energy within them, which is also not considered in calculations of “warming, but that capability is rapidly ending now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blatman posted:

im a shallow language model

Please don't poke fun at the size of my language model

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

I just want to have things be normal long enough for me to stockpile my coffee and food and have the next Skyrim and Zelda's come out. Once those are out I have enough games to just vibe as everything goes down and I chill with my cool partner and write books and play games and read. I don't need much.

(I know Starfield comes first and I plan on getting that too. If Skyrim 6 doesn't get made before everything gets made I'll be sad, but at least Zelda is coming out soon.).

You should just start living this way now.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You should just start living this way now.

absolutely not. consume as much ribeye steak as you can, while you still can

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Please don't poke fun at the size of my language model

Yet when they see it, it leaves everyone speechless. :grin:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

the global environment is about stored energy so in the past as nature gradually changed atmospheric content over a period of millions of years by the time it got to 400ppm the temperature was higher because you had millennia of adjustments from 340 to 350 to 360 to 370.

We just appeared on the geological stage and jacked carbon up in an extremely abrupt manner in a century so the earth is taking some time to catch up and change states from pre-industrial carbon level climate to the 400+ppm climate that would normally not happen for an extremely long time.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Resources exist to be consumed

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

mawarannahr posted:

doesn't gasoline/diesel go bad?

Sometimes I ponder just how bad poo poo might get in some of the more out of the way corners of the world. Old flat top diesel engines like what you might find in ancient tractors will run on almost any combustible fluid, including oils rendered down from animal fat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mayor Dave posted:

Resources exist to be consumed

And consumed they will be!

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
If not by this generation....

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just a Moron posted:

I don't get the reference

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

the global environment is about stored energy so in the past as nature gradually changed atmospheric content over a period of millions of years by the time it got to 400ppm the temperature was higher because you had millennia of adjustments from 340 to 350 to 360 to 370.

We just appeared on the geological stage and jacked carbon up in an extremely abrupt manner in a century so the earth is taking some time to catch up and change states from pre-industrial carbon level climate to the 400+ppm climate that would normally not happen for an extremely long time.

I'm told that a 4 degree Celcius increase is optimal by the leading neoclassical economist on climate change (Nordhaus), so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

it's starting to go up!!! :woop:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

it's starting to go up!!! :woop:

I have studied many peaks in my time, it's gonna go down. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hubbert posted:

I have studied many peaks in my time, it's gonna go down. :colbert:

:wrong: 16 million square kilometers here we come!