Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xelkelvos posted:

Fadeaway Man's supposed grandson just appeared in the new Blue Beetle series so there's that. I think Shadow Thief appeared in Hawkman's relatively recent series. Otherwise, it's all minor characters or ones that became more notable, independent of the hawks (like Vandal Savage)

Also there's Hath-Set as a proper arch nemesis, but really only ever relevant with both Hawks involved/

I was thinking Hath-Set was the space God and forgot he was the Egyptian baddie.

Yeah that is the problem with DC at times. You have these mainstay more minor heroes like the Hawks, Atom, or Blue Beetle and their classic villains have been mulched up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
sat and read all of the new Joker book out so far and it's very funny how this pretty much kills Three Jokers being canon considering it's a comic about two Jokers running around where Jason Todd is a central character and absolutely no reference is made to that book whatsoever

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ll give you Shadow Thief, and maybe Matter Master. My DC knowledge has slipped significantly since the New 52.

Hawkgirl deserves to escape the baggage of the past, and uh, spread her wings.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

sat and read all of the new Joker book out so far and it's very funny how this pretty much kills Three Jokers being canon considering it's a comic about two Jokers running around where Jason Todd is a central character and absolutely no reference is made to that book whatsoever

This book doesn't seem like it's canon either.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This is one of the most insane things I've ever seen in a comic book.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Open Marriage Night posted:

Name one Hawkgirl villain that isn’t Gentleman Ghost.

Hawkman

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I remember in Metal they had this weird giant blue dude king of Thanagar?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

This is one of the most insane things I've ever seen in a comic book.

With Hasan as Nitebat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Codependent Poster posted:

This book doesn't seem like it's canon either.

In what way?

It's very clearly set in the current Gotham status quo. The current Legion of Doom roster appears. References are made to the previous Joker series. Both Jokers have the glass eye. Nothing about it seems like it doesn't fit.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 12, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man I am totally wrong.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I blame all of you for Adams being moved off Flash for freaking Spurrier/Deodato :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like Spurrier.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I don't, but even if you do, Spurrier/Deodato is not a Flash team. And certainly not worth moving Adams off of.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I started reading the Flash run this weekend and really enjoyed what I've read so far. The intro arc was a nice way to get a summary on Flash history. I'd put it just behind Nightwing for the book I've enjoyed the most since dipping back into DC.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New status quo again for the Amazona, lmao. It was fun while it lasted.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For those keeping track, Zeus got killed by Darkseid back in Robinson's run, and then came back with no explanation during Cloonan/Conrad's first arc, and now they killed him again in this Lazarus Planet thing. Even by god standards this is pretty wacky.

Speaking of Revenge of the Gods...y'all..........a day ago, the thought of Tom King taking over Wonder Woman filled my arteries with gravel, but that prospect doesn't even seem so frightening now compared with this current...stuff. Like, if their plan here was to make Tom King seem preferable, man, I certainly can't say that it's not working.

The book ain't even that bad taken in a vacuum, but in context, everything that happens illustrates every drat disappointing thing WW's mythos has been saddled with in these past runs. It's just so wild to me that they've brought out this prestigious, critically-acclaimed, universally-lauded Wonder Woman masterpiece in the form of Historia that has slews of readers going "yes this is it, we want this thing exactly" and then their immediate response was to make a mad dash in the literal opposite direction. Hera as the stereotypical misanthropic shrew instead of being Diana's greatest patron. Zeus as the sympathetic victim instead of her greatest foe, to say nothing of the sickening father retcon still being enforced. Gods overall depicted as generic supervillains instead of the majestic -- and even inspirational -- figures that command the page. On and on and on.

You can't even use the excuse that this story was being planned too long ago for them to vibe it with Historia; the first issue of Historia came out at the end of 2021, more than a year ago. They've had more than enough time to see the positive reaction to it and still said "Lol nah that doesn't sound right, WW's next event should be the polar opposite of that."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Picked up the 1992 miniseries Batman: Gotham Nights for $6. Pretty good mini. Check it out if you can

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Picked up the 1992 miniseries Batman: Gotham Nights for $6. Pretty good mini. Check it out if you can

The first Gotham nights is super solid. A bit of a time piece for early nineties but it actually makes Gotham feel like a real city with real people (as opposed to a continuous poo poo hole that is being completely taken over by a villain every week).

The second mini is....a bit different and more singular focussed. It's an okay mini on it's own but not as good as the first.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

The first Gotham nights is super solid. A bit of a time piece for early nineties but it actually makes Gotham feel like a real city with real people (as opposed to a continuous poo poo hole that is being completely taken over by a villain every week).

The second mini is....a bit different and more singular focussed. It's an okay mini on it's own but not as good as the first.

Yeah it was good at looking at various people within Gotham, setting their lives up, and bringing them together.

I'll see if I can read that other mini too at some point.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 19, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The new Superman run so far is cool, neat idea that he has to fight Lex's enemies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao @ ra's al ghul obd. ra's is right, he was always right, and if he managed to get batman out of the way he could purge the oligarchs and save the world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which of the One Bad Days are actually worth checking out?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Idk but you should read the stargirl mini instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azubah posted:

The new Superman run so far is cool, neat idea that he has to fight Lex's enemies.

I read the first issue of that and of the new Catwoman run on Infinite today, both were pretty neat. I don't think I ever read the Valentine run on Catwoman, what's Eiko's deal? I thought I read she and Selina were related somehow, but the dialogue in the book made it sound more like they were an item at some point?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Madkal posted:

I quite liked the Mr. Freeze and Catwoman ones (both had great art), and Bane and Clayface were also good. I haven't read Ra's yet, I didn't care for Riddler, and I don't really remember Penguin or Two Face.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I read the first issue of that and of the new Catwoman run on Infinite today, both were pretty neat. I don't think I ever read the Valentine run on Catwoman, what's Eiko's deal? I thought I read she and Selina were related somehow, but the dialogue in the book made it sound more like they were an item at some point?

They were. Eiko represents her yakuza clan in Gotham and when Selina briefly became Kingpin of Gotham Eiko and her family were a hold-out. Eiko started dressing like Catwoman (who was sort of inactive being busy as a crimeboss) to stop the worst of her family's stuff and Selina realized who it was and they had a fling but I think it was around the time King started to lean into Bat/Cat so it didn't last too long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the Superman front, Lex backseating Clark through every encounter with a villain like the world's smuggest Twitch chat is very funny.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gaz-L posted:

On the Superman front, Lex backseating Clark through every encounter with a villain like the world's smuggest Twitch chat is very funny.

So glad we got Good Williamson on this relaunch. Great so far, and so are all the other Superman Family titles. Nearly unprecedented!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

They really are setting up Steve and Siggy as a couple because this is not a look two people give each other in a way that is purely platonic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I quite liked the Mr. Freeze and Catwoman ones (both had great art), and Bane and Clayface were also good. I haven't read Ra's yet, I didn't care for Riddler, and I don't really remember Penguin or Two Face.

Read Catwoman during my break at work, it was really good, I felt. Wilson has a good handle on Selina's voice in general and does a good Bat/Cat as well. And there's one panel about 3/4 of the way through where McKelvie draws Batman with the cape draped over his shoulders but holding his arms so it looks like it's a long coat and it looks rad.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Last I knew, Power Girl was just the Supergirl of pre-crisis Earth 2. I must have missed a step because in Action Comics she’s saying that she never saw Argo City or Krypton for real, just an AI simulation. What’s her story?

Which I fully realize is one of the most complicated things a fan can ask.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Beerdeer posted:

Last I knew, Power Girl was just the Supergirl of pre-crisis Earth 2. I must have missed a step because in Action Comics she’s saying that she never saw Argo City or Krypton for real, just an AI simulation. What’s her story?

Which I fully realize is one of the most complicated things a fan can ask.

Powergirl has had so many Retcons to her history. At one point she was an experiment by an ancient atlantean wizard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think she's still Earth-2 Supergirl at the moment?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

Powergirl has had so many Retcons to her history. At one point she was an experiment by an ancient atlantean wizard.

Who non-consensually and magically impregnated PG with a magic pregnancy not unlike Captain Marvel's, although at least Arion was not also the baby. Said baby was born with Zero Hour, was apparently half-demon(??), named Equinox, mystically aged up after being born and told Power Girl to get her own life and was never seen again.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Power Girl, Hawkman and Donna Troy should be in some kind of support group for people with hosed-up backstories.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Power Girl's Earth 2 didn't even exist until recently too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole 'PG doesn't get idioms' thing is a bizarre quirk to give her when historically she's been MORE integrated than Kara. And we're still keeping the idea that she's less connected to Krypton than Kara and Clark, so... it's weird. I did like the thing with Kara being so tightly wound that she didn't even try to fight the psychic attack but just buried it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who's got the worst costume in Justice League or Justice Society that isn't like a guest star or the artist really hosed up an issue

My money is on wildcat for the sheer longevity of how awful his giant whisker cheeks are
Year after year they just keep him like that

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Upsidads posted:

Who's got the worst costume in Justice League or Justice Society that isn't like a guest star or the artist really hosed up an issue

My money is on wildcat for the sheer longevity of how awful his giant whisker cheeks are
Year after year they just keep him like that

My money's on Dr. Mid-Nite personally. The colors are bad and unlike Alan Scott he's not nearly cool enough to make a bunch of weird colors work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

isnt he just 'Hey you arent robin!'?