Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

6'4" is "hey you're pretty tall" tall, barely "yeah, he's like the tallest guy I know well" tall. My wife's uncle is 6'3", my boss is 6'7". It looks like 6'4" is 28th percentile in the NBA for height, with the average height being 6'6.5".

I thought it was 4'. This is very unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I'm slightly taller than Stephen King (194 cm), but he's the slightly better writer.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
I had no idea Biden, Trump and Obama were all Dark Tower fans, but they definitely have some interesting opinions on the books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJD3GM3tMc&t=335s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This sounds cool

Dark Star Pictures secure rights to Stephen King documentary 'King on Screen'

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/dark-star-stephen-king-king-on-screen/

quote:

Its been reported that Dark Star Pictures has obtained North American rights to King on Screen, the documentary charting the literary career of horror author Stephen King. Former actor turned filmmaker Daphné Baiwir will direct the project King has approved.

King on Screen will allow King fans to see the directors who have created the adaptations of the author’s work to the big screen, including Frank Darabont, who directed the adaptations of The Shawshank Redemption in 1994 and The Green Mile in 1999. The documentary will outline and explore the countless film and series adaptations of the author’s writing since 1976.

Other directors include ABC’s The Stand’s director Mick Garris and Mike Flanagan, who directed Gerald’s Game and The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a musical tribute to King playing in my town.
https://isthmus.com/arts/stage/shining-in-misery-a-stephen-king-mash-up/
Musicals aren't really my cup of tea, and $45 seems a little to much gamble on it. Still kinda neat though.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Phanatic posted:

He was so perfectly-cast as Flagg that it makes the movie even worse because the thing should have been a miniseries in the first place and now if they ever do a miniseries it won't be McConaughey.

I don't think they would actually do this, but it COULD just be McConaughey again - Flagg doing evil wizard guy stuff as different versions of some archetypal trickster demon in multiple universes is cannoical.

Some tall people have short energy. It sounds like King is tall, with tall energy?

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 5, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo. I got curious so I looked it up and there have been (at least) 86 film adaptations of King's work.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
It'd probably be worth spoiler-tagging some of the DT stuff above (in particular, referencing McConaughey as Flagg).

Ragle Gumm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 5, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I don't think they would actually do this, but it COULD just be McConaughey again - Flagg doing evil wizard guy stuff as different versions of some archetypal trickster demon in multiple universes is cannoical.

Some tall people have short energy. It sounds like King is tall, with tall energy?

He's mid with east coast energy so not much interest in height chat, hence how I never heard about any of this until goons brought it up.

e: When he wanted to talk about personal details before he'd bring up a stranger addressing him as Steve or changing someone's tire as a machismo act. Or his awful band alcoholism.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. I got curious so I looked it up and there have been (at least) 86 film adaptations of King's work.

And not just because he was so coked up that Maximum Overdrive counts as 67 movies at once?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a new book coming out about Kubrick's Shining adaptation. Sounds interesting.
https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/lee-unkrich-pixar-shining-stanley-kubrick-book-1234820940/

It's available for the low low price of $1.5k

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I always find myself baffled by the love Kubrick's "adaptation" of the Shining gets. I always felt like it stripped away everything meaningful about the story to make a braindead slasher flick.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I probably watched it in the wrong mindset so idk if I can fully say if it’s bad/good on its own merits, but I do find it extremely lol that the movie kills a black man that survived in the book.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
While Kubrick's movie is not the most faithful adaptation it is the best movie or show adapted from his work, imo. It's possible to follow a recipe to the letter and make something that tastes like crap, and it's possible to take inspiration and make something delicious.

Blade Runner is probably the least faithful adaptation of a Phillip K. Dick story, but it is by far the best.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I probably watched it in the wrong mindset so idk if I can fully say if it’s bad/good on its own merits, but I do find it extremely lol that the movie kills a black man that survived in the book.

A twist. Works both ways!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I always find myself baffled by the love Kubrick's "adaptation" of the Shining gets. I always felt like it stripped away everything meaningful about the story to make a braindead slasher flick.

its insane to call the shining a braindead slasher flick

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Hey don't worry, Stephen King agrees, and so do I . And who else matters?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't think the movie is as good as the book, because I think the story loses something when it just depicts Jack as straight-up Jack Nicholson Insane.

Also the best King movie is Shawshank.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think kubricks the shining is a very pointed and specific refutation of kings intent, that jack is at his core a good guy corrupted by ghosts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khizan posted:

I don't think the movie is as good as the book, because I think the story loses something when it just depicts Jack as straight-up Jack Nicholson Insane.

Also the best King movie is Shawshank.

The fedora of movies :smugmrgw: It would be somewhat but also greatly improved if they replaced Freeman's creaking with the lovely Youtube Shorts AI-generated voice.

e: The Shining isn't a very good book, anyway. I'm glad Kubrick wasn't faithful to it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 22, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i think kubricks the shining is a very pointed and specific refutation of kings intent, that jack is at his core a good guy corrupted by ghosts

Idk, given Dr. Sleep established that Jack was an adulterer I think the point was more that Jack was not a nice person at his core but was more realistically lovely in that he had the capacity for kindness in him and the ghosts brought out all his worst qualities, not unlike, say, Beverly’s dad in It. that’s just me though!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

its insane to call the shining a braindead slasher flick

I mean it strips away essentially every bit of background or detail about the characters and instead just has Jack go insane for no clear reason except apparently being a fundamentally bad person. And if I wanted to watch fundamentally bad people chase children around with sharp objects, I could just watch considerably more entertaining movies, like Nightmare on Elm Street, that are honest about what they are.

Whether Jack was a fundamentally decent person or not, the interesting part of The Shining as a book was the slow influence of the haunting trying to push him over the edge so it could have some more company, since it was unlikely he would've gone as far as murder otherwise, and his attempts to pull back from that edge. He felt like a relatively believable character in the book, as someone made out of both good and bad parts, someone with a love for his son deep down even if he was hosed up in other ways.

As a book I'd consider to be in King's top three(The Shining, Misery and The Dead Zone would probably make out my personal top three in no particular order), I'd definitely say that the miniseries they made like a decade or so ago did it considerably more justice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

just has Jack go insane for no clear reason except apparently being a fundamentally bad person

Citation needed. (I don't actually want one.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

I've heard this take before but given he makes Wendy into a damsel in distress, it's obvious Kubrick just sucked all the life and depth out of the characters. He wasn't trying to make some point, like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers vs. Heinlein's.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If that was the case I don't think Kubrick would have done poo poo like calling King at 3 in the morning demanding to know if King thought there was a god, and then after King answers saying "no, there is no god" before hanging up. In a vacuum that comes across as him being hilariously bizarre, but in the context of him making The Shining, a book about an alcoholic writer and teacher written by an alcoholic writer and teacher, it comes across as Kubrick trying to understand Jack better by understanding King better.

So Jack is a writer, and in the text of the book he's a good guy at his core who's made some bad decisions and has demons he's wrestling with. How would the movie version of Jack write himself in his own book? Kubrick directed Lolita, he's familiar with unreliable narrators. This time he decided to make a movie about an unreliable author.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm real sorry but I want to mention that Cell is absolutely terrible and I disliked it very much.

Carry on.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Someone billed it to me as "The Stand"-light. He was right, but not how he meant -- like most things "light", it sucks

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Someone billed it to me as "The Stand"-light. He was right, but not how he meant -- like most things "light", it sucks

With the first half of the Stand being decent, and the second half being terrible(this describes a lot of King stories, I feel), maybe they decided to do a trimmed down version where they cut out the decent half.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Bright Bart posted:

I'm real sorry but I want to mention that Cell is absolutely terrible and I disliked it very much.

Carry on.

Cell is the only book I've read that started at a 100% enjoyment rate and steadily trickled down to zero, through each page, each chapter somehow worse than the last. I got it from the library and felt guilty they'd wasted the money on purchasing it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leave posted:

Cell is the only book I've read that started at a 100% enjoyment rate and steadily trickled down to zero, through each page, each chapter somehow worse than the last. I got it from the library and felt guilty they'd wasted the money on purchasing it

I was gonna say the say the same thing

I've never read a book that started off so great and just got and worse and worse the more I read it until I finally quit on it about halfway through. It was impressive in it's own way because King hooked me right out of the box and then....

Well, the book continued.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
King watched Snyder's Dawn of the Dead and thought "wow, I'm going to follow the format and quality curve of this movie exactly!"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

deoju posted:

There's a new book coming out about Kubrick's Shining adaptation. Sounds interesting.
https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/lee-unkrich-pixar-shining-stanley-kubrick-book-1234820940/

It's available for the low low price of $1.5k

My wife go me this last year (not this version, the one she got me has a room key):

https://mondoshop.com/products/the-...6MaAmFDEALw_wcB

I love Kubrick's movie and I think the novel is one of King's best.

My current King top 5 in no order and novels only: The Shining, Salem's Lot, DT4: Wizard & Glass, The Stand, and Dead Zone. The Dead Zone keeps changing (it could be IT, Pet Sematary, or whatever the next week), but the other 4 are pretty solid for me now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 23, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

nate fisher posted:

My current King top 5 in no order and novels only: The Shining, Salem's Lot, DT4: Wizard & Glass, The Stand, and Dead Zone. The Dead Zone keeps changing (it could be IT, Pet Sematary, or whatever the next week), but the other 4 are pretty solid for me now.

As someone who liked things about The Stand but ultimately felt let down by it, I'd be curious to hear what puts it in your top 5.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To judge my take, you have to know I first read The Stand back in 1986 I think (freshman in high school). So at that age in the 80's, I thought I just read the greatest thing ever. Now? I know it has flaws and while I have re-read it a few times, if I am going to re-visit it now, I will listen to the Audible version on my long runs. Still between my nostalgia for it and how it influenced my young mind, it is still a top 5 King book to me. I don't think I am alone at all on The Stand's influence on Gen X. Add on top of that I still have a fondness for the characters (not for you Frannie) and I mostly enjoyed the back half of the book too (still first half is better).

To subjectively like something more than another thing, doesn't mean I am saying quality wise that I think it is better than another item. Salem's Lot might be my favorite King novel, but I know it is not truly his best novel.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Young me was very annoyed that the cover of The Stand has a demon fighting a dude with a scythe yet that isn’t anywhere in the book.

Old me is very annoyed that the cover of The Stand has a demon fighting a dude with a scythe yet that isn’t anywhere in the book

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Young me was very annoyed that the cover of The Stand has a demon fighting a dude with a scythe yet that isn’t anywhere in the book.

Old me is very annoyed that the cover of The Stand has a demon fighting a dude with a scythe yet that isn’t anywhere in the book

Wasn't that cover design done literally because Star Wars was popular at the time and it wanted to evoke that? I can't remember if that was the legit reason or just something I read on some random website (maybe this one).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

nate fisher posted:

To judge my take, you have to know I first read The Stand back in 1986 I think (freshman in high school). So at that age in the 80's, I thought I just read the greatest thing ever. Now? I know it has flaws and while I have re-read it a few times, if I am going to re-visit it now, I will listen to the Audible version on my long runs. Still between my nostalgia for it and how it influenced my young mind, it is still a top 5 King book to me. I don't think I am alone at all on The Stand's influence on Gen X. Add on top of that I still have a fondness for the characters (not for you Frannie) and I mostly enjoyed the back half of the book too (still first half is better).

To subjectively like something more than another thing, doesn't mean I am saying quality wise that I think it is better than another item. Salem's Lot might be my favorite King novel, but I know it is not truly his best novel.

I appreciated Salem's Lot a lot more on a recent reread vs the first time I read it, and I think it is one of his most consistent with no real drops which helps a lot.

There's a few books like the Stand I really like which start amazing and end okay, but there's middle parts that drag it down.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

bobjr posted:

There's a few books like the Stand I really like which start amazing and end okay, but there's middle parts that drag it down.

I feel like King's weakness tends to be more the endings than the middles. Sometimes it really feels like he's at a loss for how to finish things so he just grabs a Deus Ex Machina out of more or less thin air and invalidates most of the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like King's weakness tends to be more the endings than the middles. Sometimes it really feels like he's at a loss for how to finish things so he just grabs a Deus Ex Machina out of more or less thin air and invalidates most of the rest of the story.

He's essentially admitted to this. He doesn't plan out his stories or draw up outlines at all.