Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Jesus Christ just put her in a home. If ever there was a person qualified for ättestupa here's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She doesn't really seem incapable, just incredibly abrasive. I don't know how many assisted living places would take her, if she'd even agree to go.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Jesus Christ just put her in a home. If ever there was a person qualified for ättestupa here's one.

there's nothing wrong with her except that she's tremendously abrasive and miserable to be around. also that stuff is nightmarishly expensive

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

EasyEW posted:

And it's safe to say this will never figure into OOW, but you ever see an old headline that jumped out at you because you knew what was immediately around the corner? Literally within 24 hours?

If they didn't reprint that in 1987 when Hess died for real, it'd be a drat shame.

For ages, I used to get Rudolf Hess and Rudolf Höss mixed up; I'd be reading about the latter acting as commandant in Auschwitz and be thinking 'I thought he was in jail in the UK by then?' - what can I say, I was not very smart.

But, in exchange, something that is better than Nazis - Blueberry! - but... before I begin as usual, I have to add a little pre-amble because, after three years of posting and translating... this is it. This is the last book; unless I can get my hands on the young Blueberry adventures. There is actually one more... but since it is just a version of Blueberry's story to Campbell, edited so as to have no flash-forwards to Tombstone I won't be posting that - there'd be no point (it tells the exact same story, just with some extra panels so as to have it fit pages better).

It's not good-bye yet... but it will be coming up soon. So, today - Blueberry going for the anti-Michael Jackson appearance, or Campbell's had enough of this wicky-wicky-wild-wild West, or Tension... broken?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I don't recall the circumstances behind why Sally's mom had to live with Jackie to begin with but I feel like there's not enough money or resources at anyone's disposal to just "put her in a home" or more optimistically set her up with a place of her own.

: D

I Guess Mouse Nascar Will Just Be A Reliable Thing Now. Also Wait Thinking Of The Batch On Sunday: Why Are There Tiny Real-Sized Mice That Are Also Capable Of Thought And Speech While There's Also Huge Mice Like Mark?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/18-20/50

Archie Betty 11/11-13/46

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Having gone through five years of home care for my mother (dementia) I can tell you that, in eastern PA at least, it costs $5000-$6000/month for a decent place. And by decent, she wouldn't have been abused or neglected unto death.

That's if she was willing to go, which she was not. Unless you have power of attorney, you can't force an aging parent into a home, and only a monster would do that.

It is a very, very difficult situation, even without dementia.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Do you think D-Slide can turn it around? Also, did you expect Lottie to turn into a doghouse? This story is blowing your mind different ways, every day.

Liking Lottie as a doghouse in that third panel.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 5, 2023

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PainterofCrap posted:

Having gone through five years of home care for my mother (dementia) I can tell you that, in eastern PA at least, it costs $5000-$6000/month for a decent place. And by decent, she wouldn't have been abused or neglected unto death.

That's if she was willing to go, which she was not. Unless you have power of attorney, you can't force an aging parent into a home, and only a monster would do that.

It is a very, very difficult situation, even without dementia.

I hope your mom wasn't being an active piece of poo poo to you like their mom is to them, though.
I'm advocating throwing her into a volcano, because holy loving poo poo, this woman. Yes, you should try to take care of your parents, but there comes a point where you need to tell mom "Okay, we've had enough of your poo poo- get the gently caress out", even if it puts her on the streets because she has alienated literally everyone else who could have taken her in.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Savarna's 'bout to start exploding prisoners herself, isn't she.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the truth comes out. (September 13-15, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (November 22-24, 1920)

THE TERRIBLE-TEMPERED MR. BANG: He has just been informed at the caddie house that his wife is out on the links using his favorite mashie!

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS-- The Skipper leaned out so far to watch one of them Opry House gals climb on the car that he lost his hold and fell off!

Dok's Dippy War Journal (August 25, 1914)

Little Lefty (March 24-26, 1938)

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 06, 1956)

Val & Co next week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS_GQLgqtM

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

...especially in coastal areas where people historically had a lot of contact with foreign seamen...

:pervert:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

"Just because I was flirting with her constantly since the day you hired me, that's no reason not to blame her for this whole thing!"

Good thing for him that lady loving hates her daughter.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

goatface posted:

She doesn't really seem incapable, just incredibly abrasive. I don't know how many assisted living places would take her, if she'd even agree to go.

To me, she's coming off as a lady who is like wildly in need of therapy to unpack some feelings of loneliness and uselessness.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As much as anything, she needs company that's not her grown up daughters.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

lol what the Christ

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

someone awful. posted:

there's nothing wrong with her except that she's tremendously abrasive and miserable to be around. also that stuff is nightmarishly expensive

Honestly just kick her to the street. She sounds like the kind of person to go no contact with.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 18, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Double-Finger

Fingerpori

Putki = pipe
Uusia = to renovate
Putki = binge (noun); without extra context usually implied to be about alcohol but can be used of various other things too
Uusia = to reoccur, to happen again; not a general word for these meanings; used when e.g. a chronic disease becomes symptomatic again
Putket (on) uusittu = pipes (have been) renovated
Putket (on) uusittu = binges (have been) started again

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 13, 1956)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

:same:

Krazy Kat June 18, 1916

Little Nemo November 12, 1905

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/21/03

Brenda Starr 8/20/50

Smokey Stover 8/16/53

Everyday Movies 3/27/36

"We teach you to understand your own skin, and when you understand your own skin, then you begin to enjoy life."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/16/41

Bonus Ad! That's a really good angry sun.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

"Just because I was flirting with her constantly since the day you hired me, that's no reason not to blame her for this whole thing!"

Good thing for him that lady loving hates her daughter.

Luann

Bernice just wanted to hang out and cosplay as a hippie. Little did she know Nil would awaken her latent objectification fetish.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Don't doxx me.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 13, 1956)

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Surprised that Val & co held back from the slaughter. But the raiding season will be soon and they have cause, so maybe it'll be an off-screen retribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wow out of nowhere lol