Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Squiggle posted:

The answer then and now is "poorly compressed audio and cutscenes." Especially in early CD games.

TIE Fighter was 5 floppy disks with midi music. The CD version's game content was exactly the same size, but it had all the actual Star Wars music and a TON of recorded voice lines filling the rest of the CD's space.

Some CDs were nice because you could put them into CD players and listen to the games soundtrack. Grim Fandango and Tropico were stellar.

When I was a kiddo I had a horror-themed game called Soft'n'Cuddly for the Spectrum and if you left the tape playing after the game was loaded in, you could listen to a metal song played through your Spectrum's really godawful external speaker while you played the game.

e: oh poo poo here it is, I'm having a full flashback https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxmAur6ag88

e: this probably isn't metal, it's more goth rock or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Volte posted:

It's you who don't recall correctly. It did come on a CD and the full installation was 450MB.

I love this era of games. Although it never really went away with the advent of HD Texture packs, there is something about developers acknowledging that their install size is EXTREME. It's so quintessentially 90s.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Propaganda Hour posted:

I love this era of games. Although it never really went away with the advent of HD Texture packs, there is something about developers acknowledging that their install size is EXTREME. It's so quintessentially 90s.

I could have sworn I had Tie Fighter on like 15-20 floppies…probably just misremembering though. I just think back to a 50 ct floppy container and it was like three full games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There were definitely desktop applications that were like that. My dad had multiple huge floppy containers dedicated to individual programs. I think Microsoft Office 3.0 was on like 100 floppies or something.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not sure what the largest widely available release on floppies was.
Office '97 was up to 55 diskettes, but that was also only through special order - the retail release was on CD-ROM.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Volte posted:

There were definitely desktop applications that were like that. My dad had multiple huge floppy containers dedicated to individual programs. I think Microsoft Office 3.0 was on like 100 floppies or something.

Yeah, I'm remembering when a Windows install was 25 floppies and you had to pray the whole time that like disc 22 didn't somehow go bad since the last time you used it

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I'm remembering when a Windows install was 25 floppies and you had to pray the whole time that like disc 22 didn't somehow go bad since the last time you used it
That's why you always made backups so that you had 50 floppies of the same thing taking up an entire disk storage case.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Propaganda Hour posted:

Which is the game with the HUMONGOUS install? Fallout?

edit: yeah it was Fallout 2

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mycot posted:

I got Fallout 2 and Daggerfall mixed up.

I'm trying to recall what the largest disk install I had, I think the latter Wing Commanders got up into the mid-teens got up to six, seven if you included the speech-pack.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

mycot posted:

How much could one role-playing game be, 1.1MB?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet it is called Humongous because of Mad Max.

The sizes are probably related to its graphics. I forgot if it simply not loads extra features.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scalding Coffee posted:

The sizes are probably related to its graphics. I forgot if it simply not loads extra features.

And voice acting! Those fancy full-screen talking heads took a lot of resources, I'm sure.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/283960/Pajama_Sam_No_Need_to_Hide_When_Its_Dark_Outside/

Call that a Humongous installation.

(EDIT: Okay, might not actually be 512 MB, I think Steam automatically upsizes all of these files for some reason? Most sources say it's still a couple hundred though.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 22, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I believe you needed the CD in the drive for anything but a Humongous installation.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Citizen Sleeper or Norco?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'd say if you can only pick one to go for Norco because some people find the dice system in Citizen Sleeper to be awkward, but they're both good.

Unrelated: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363850/Tax_Heaven_3000/

...sure, why not. I guess that's art of a kind.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Volte posted:

It's you who don't recall correctly. It did come on a CD and the full installation was 450MB.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to bring menus like this back. I'll take downgraded visual settings if I get a smaller drive footprint.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jossar posted:

I'd say if you can only pick one to go for Norco because some people find the dice system in Citizen Sleeper to be awkward, but they're both good.

Unrelated: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363850/Tax_Heaven_3000/

...sure, why not. I guess that's art of a kind.

This is neat and all, but I don't think I would trust some random steam game with my social security number....

Wait a second, MSCHF? Those are the people who made the Big Fruit Loop

And, more recently, those Astro Boy boots

I didn't know they were branching out into "games".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Iirc the installer for the original Baldur's Gate couldn't recognize hard drives large enough for the full install option, it reported that any drive with more than 2GB free space as having only 2GB free, and considering the game came on like 5 CDs (6 if you had the expansion), the full install was... Somewhat larger.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ok, got to admit I was pretty shocked and impressed when an Orc killed me in Shadows of War and snapped my sword in half and got the title "the Breaker" and then when I respawned my epic quality sword was gone lol. Pretty sick

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

Ok, got to admit I was pretty shocked and impressed when an Orc killed me in Shadows of War and snapped my sword in half and got the title "the Breaker" and then when I respawned my epic quality sword was gone lol. Pretty sick

They have a whole bunch of interesting orc personalities like that one. It's great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

They have a whole bunch of interesting orc personalities like that one. It's great.

I was meaning to ask you since you know the game well, is non-legendary gear worth even looking at or do you usually scrap it? Some of the set bonuses seem pretty good on the legendary stuff but the actual mods are sometimes underwhelming.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

I was meaning to ask you since you know the game well, is non-legendary gear worth even looking at or do you usually scrap it? Some of the set bonuses seem pretty good on the legendary stuff but the actual mods are sometimes underwhelming.

Depends on how much you want to optimize.
Yellow gear sometimes has good bonuses that you could exploit. For example, making your throwing dagger set orcs on fire can allow you to exploit an orc captain's weakness to fire. Things like that.
It's only really relevant during first half of the game though, when you don't have access to enough legendary pieces and you won't really lose much by just ignoring everything sub-legendary and only equipping gear after what has bigger level.

Legendary gear is huge though, once you have enough pieces to make a set (or mix and match several sets). They all have really cool playstyle-defining effects and are a lot of fun to use.
I remember figuring out a complex mix of sets at one point that allowed me to refill all my health and rage meters off 2-3 mook kills and just fart out super moves non-stop.

EDIT: Also, I found the game to be pretty easy on Nemesis difficulty on my first run, so that's even more reason to not bother with sub-legendary gear unless you find it fun.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

I believe you needed the CD in the drive for anything but a Humongous installation.

Yup, that was it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hi Steamers, is there a PC builders thread on this here forum?

I have some stupid build questions I'd like to bother fellow goons with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
different subforum

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Super, thank you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't see anything wrong with trying to bring menus like this back. I'll take downgraded visual settings if I get a smaller drive footprint.

some games still do have that, they split off the highest resolution textures into a free "DLC" that you can choose to install or not

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been replaying Middle Earth: Shadows of War after playing 10 hours and getting distracted by another shiny thing. It has the fault of every open world game ever, but the Nemesis system is ridiculously fun.

I see that the DLC is on sale. Is it worth it? And it so, what the hell do I buy? It seems that the "Expansion Pass" includes everything, including the "Story Expansion" that is currently more expensive? :psyduck:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Counter-Strike 2 enters limited test today, with a full release this summer as a free update/replacement for CS:GO, adding a new game engine with better smokes, sub-tick netcode, and upgraded/rebuilt maps. Oh, and mapping tools that aren't based on loving Worldcraft for Windows 95. That's a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MpNcAitQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqhhFl5zgA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZtISgOxEQ

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Kins posted:

Counter-Strike 2 enters limited test today, with a full release this summer as a free update/replacement for CS:GO, adding a new game engine with better smokes, sub-tick netcode, and upgraded/rebuilt maps. Oh, and mapping tools that aren't based on loving Worldcraft for Windows 95. That's a bonus.

I really want to learn more about the new netcode because it's something completely new to games and I don't understand it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Neat. Has that kind of smoke been done before in a major multiplayer game?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That smoke looks...glutinous. (neat tho)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I have been enjoying Going Medieval, despite a slight lack of content and variety in it's current early access stage.

My first game ended with my half built, flawed fort getting trebucheted

My second one is nice though

but still getting mobbed!

Would recommend to people who enjoy building stuff and then being completely helpless when it is destroyed

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sininu posted:

I really want to learn more about the new netcode because it's something completely new to games and I don't understand it.

yeah I need someone to explain how this works to me like a baby

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can't wait to play Counterstrike 2 for one match before declaring it to be bullshit for no-life sweats, then proceed to use it to denigrate any person who is good at different shooter because if they were actually good they would be playing CS2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been replaying Middle Earth: Shadows of War after playing 10 hours and getting distracted by another shiny thing. It has the fault of every open world game ever, but the Nemesis system is ridiculously fun.

I see that the DLC is on sale. Is it worth it? And it so, what the hell do I buy? It seems that the "Expansion Pass" includes everything, including the "Story Expansion" that is currently more expensive? :psyduck:

Two Tribe DLCs are the good poo poo that adds even more orc variety for the Nemesis System.
Story DLC has you play as two different characters. One of the is just a campaign and the other one is a pseudo-roguelite thing. Both of them are pretty meh.

Highly recommend the Tribe DLCs though.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can't wait to play Counterstrike 2 for one match before declaring it to be bullshit for no-life sweats, then proceed to use it to denigrate any person who is good at different shooter because if they were actually good they would be playing CS2.
I'm sure the game will be good, and it'll be a good showcase of FPS with Source2.

I'm just done with CS in general. I got my fill in during the early 'aughts and again when Source and Go came out. I really don't need any more of that. I'm sure it'll do gangbusters, though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

unruly posted:

I'm sure the game will be good, and it'll be a good showcase of FPS with Source2.

I'm just done with CS in general. I got my fill in during the early 'aughts and again when Source and Go came out. I really don't need any more of that. I'm sure it'll do gangbusters, though.

No doubt, I just tend to hold it up as a gold standard for competitive shooters despite (and perhaps because) it being way too drat hard for me to play regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fat Samurai posted:

There are a couple of minor campaign DLC things, but they're separate from the main campaign so none of the neat stuff in them carries back over to the main game. Whether they're worth it, I dunno, but just thought I'd mention that.