Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

They're really big brains. Human toddlers can learn to use computers. Zerg can fling telepathic parasites at people so the hive mind can see what a Terran sees. It couldn't have been difficult to access the knowledge to punch some commands into a terminal, especially knowing that Kerrigan is right there to relay instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

JohnKilltrane posted:

We covered this in the last update but it’s worth reiterating here: Infested Terrans are mindless sacks of volatile chemicals, which is the reason why they can be spawned on demand from an Infested Command Centre. Presumably if they, like Kerrigan, were to instead spend three and a half missions incubating in a chrysalis, they would be far more sophisticated and would retain their prior memories, knowledge, and things like psionic abilities. But who wants that in a suicide bomber?

They can't be completely mindless, or they'd lack the ability to say all their lines. Unless of course the Overmind just programmed them to say certain things as an intimidation tactic in which case, mission pretty well accomplished there.

Laughing Zealot posted:

100% agree regarding that cinematic, quite the shock to watch it as a kid back then.

Yeah, I think it might still be my favorite in the entire series still. Definitely embraced the Aliens in Starcraft's genome there.

sirtommygunn posted:

That just begs the question of how the cerebrate learned to use a computer.

The unsung champions of the Swarm, the hidden Zerg brood that mans the technical support hotline. "Have you tried turning it off and on over to drain all the blood you spilled out of it?"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

sirtommygunn posted:

That just begs the question of how the cerebrate learned to use a computer.

Probably ripped it out of the brains of the various terrans that have been infested up to this point

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

An office landscape. Row after row of zerglings slaving away at computers as above them the suited overlords float menacingly.

You can protect the trapped zerglings by burrowing them. Blew my tiny mind when I was first told. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Poil posted:

An office landscape. Row after row of zerglings slaving away at computers as above them the suited overlords float menacingly.

And you don't want to know what goes on down in Human Resources.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

JohnKilltrane posted:

It ends with what might be the best cinematic in the game. I know I’ve been screencapping and captioning these but I just couldn’t make it work with this one, no matter what I tried it came out cheesy and stilted. It really has to be seen (and heard) to be experienced. The good news is it has zero plot relevance whatsoever so if you can’t watch it you won’t miss any information. It’s just the story of a hapless Terran team checking up on the Amerigo after our raid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AL-kScqdr0

A lot of things can be said about Blizzard, but their cinematics were always top class.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

To this day, I don't even need to click the link to hear, "I've got your zerg right here."

E: also if there's one thing I miss in sc2 it's the humans being a bunch of rednecks doing poo poo like using nukes for beer coolers.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
One of my favorite missions, I loooove dungeon crawlers in strategy games. Basebuilding sucks!!! (I might not actually be much of a strategy player)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

MadDogMike posted:

They can't be completely mindless, or they'd lack the ability to say all their lines. Unless of course the Overmind just programmed them to say certain things as an intimidation tactic in which case, mission pretty well accomplished there.

"LIVE FOR THE SWAAARM!!" echoes in my head whenever something brings to mind the SC1 Infested Terran.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Poil posted:

And then the Overlords have their bosses, too. "Hello, Overlord. What's happening. I'm gonna need you to get Metabolic Boost on all our Zerglings, so if you could have that done by this afternoon, that'd be greaaat."

Poil posted:

You can protect the trapped zerglings by burrowing them. Blew my tiny mind when I was first told. :v:

Huh! No way. I never even thought of that. I guess it's because I assume they're rescuable, when in reality the game just spawns a bunch of Zerglings under your banner there. Guess it makes sense because Marines wouldn't fire on rescueable Zerglings.

painedforever posted:

Aw sweet! It returns!

Did we cover health regen in an earlier post? It's been so long, I can't remember.

We did! I think mentioned it in Zerg 1 and showed it in action in Zerg 2.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Simply Simon posted:

One of my favorite missions, I loooove dungeon crawlers in strategy games. Basebuilding sucks!!! (I might not actually be much of a strategy player)

I'm not, but it's not for strategic reasons - I'm just too slow. I understand game systems and have a respectable strategic mind, but RTS are as much if not more about dexterity as they are strategy.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

FoolyCharged posted:

To this day, I don't even need to click the link to hear, "I've got your zerg right here."

E: also if there's one thing I miss in sc2 it's the humans being a bunch of rednecks doing poo poo like using nukes for beer coolers.

Now that's what I call cold fusion!

Good to see this thread back in action. Count me as another who likes the dungeon crawl/non-base building missions, so long as there aren't too many of them. This one in particular is one of my favorites, allowing the player to let loose with one of the most powerful single units in the game. It's a good thing Kerrigan can only target ground units; if she could do anti-air as well, she would be so incredibly overpowered.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2023

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

FoolyCharged posted:

The sc1 cutscene dialog lives in my head rent free from 20 years ago.

"That's a zergling Lester, smaller type of zerg."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
thay cutscene is an absolute goat. i have never played SC2 but am dismayed to hear the redneck aesthetic was ditched

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I love basebuilding and dislike when RTS don't let me build up one. Sure dungeon crawling missions are fun too, to get some variation in, but to me spending too much time and resources into a nice looking base is a big part of the fun. :v:

JohnKilltrane posted:

And then the Overlords have their bosses, too. "Hello, Overlord. What's happening. I'm gonna need you to get Metabolic Boost on all our Zerglings, so if you could have that done by this afternoon, that'd be greaaat."
A cerebrate wearing a tie.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sally posted:

thay cutscene is an absolute goat. i have never played SC2 but am dismayed to hear the redneck aesthetic was ditched

It's a victim of the general art aesthetic shift Blizzard had around that time. Everything looks like plastic cartoon toys. Hell, Overwatch actually had licenced lego sets. That grungy, redneck aesthetic just doesn't fit in with a Raynor's Rebel Marines Action Figure Pack, $24.99.

I'm actually not really against that change in art style - I prefer watching SC2 matches to Brood War ones purely on the basis of being more pleasant to look at and easy to follow. They definitely succeeded in what that art style is there to achieve. But some of the setting's heart was definitely lost in the process.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You can still find some bits and pieces of it that made it in, like the Terran's musical tracks definitely have a much stronger backwoods vibe to them. Overall it's a very background thing though, as opposed to sc1 where well... *gestures at the cutscene video*

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The SC1 soundtrack has some heavy 80's prog rock vibes, like the sound guy was big into Dream Theater when he was coming up with stuff.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

My take is that the SC1 Terran aesthetic was "What if we take the humans from Alien, Starship Troopers, Predator, and maybe a dash of Warhammer 40K and put them all in a blender" whereas the Terran aesthetic from SC2 was "What if... Firefly. Just Firefly. That's it."

Also, I meant to mention in the spotlight that the Queen is the only flying unit in the base game that's Medium sized.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
SC2 had great cinematics too, just not in Terran campaign.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

s__herzog posted:

They're really big brains. Human toddlers can learn to use computers. Zerg can fling telepathic parasites at people so the hive mind can see what a Terran sees. It couldn't have been difficult to access the knowledge to punch some commands into a terminal, especially knowing that Kerrigan is right there to relay instructions.

Tarezax posted:

Probably ripped it out of the brains of the various terrans that have been infested up to this point

sorry, these answers aren't funny enough so they must be wrong.

MadDogMike posted:

The unsung champions of the Swarm, the hidden Zerg brood that mans the technical support hotline. "Have you tried turning it off and on over to drain all the blood you spilled out of it?"

Poil posted:

now this makes perfect sense

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

A hydralisk awkwardly slithers into IT holding its 3rd accidentally scythed keyboard of the day.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

The computer I was doing this LP on shat the bed so I'm replaying the missions to get back to where we were (don't worry, I've got the next two Zerg missions recorded already so this won't impact the LP in any way) and man, Terran 10 just kicked my rear end hard. I really don't get what it is about that mission. Like I'm grateful that I somehow managed to pull it off kinda-sorta smoothly when I did it for this LP, but in a way I'm a little disappointed too because I was hoping to show off why it's such a huge pain. I'm sure it's not a spoiler to say that there will be TvT missions in the expansion Terran campaign, and they're harder than this one, but I struggle a lot less with them.

Part of it might be the difficulty curve. It's a big spike up from the preceding missions and the AI suddenly starts being more serious with you, so you've gotten in the habit of coasting along and then suddenly you have to start paying attention. But I think part of it, and what we didn't see when I recorded it for this LP, is the way the casters from the two different forces interact. Specifically Mengsk. Duke will bring a couple of Battlecruisers up, you scramble some nearby Wraiths, all going well, but then Mengsk just floats in a Science Vessel from out of nowhere and plunks Defensive Matrixes on Duke's cruisers. Like, when it's just one opponent, they'll bring the Vessel with the attacking force, so you know what's coming and you can prepare, or even focus it down. With two opponents working together it's a lot trickier to keep track of.

I think part of it too was the build we did in that mission. I never even thought of it before but Vultures are actually really good on this map. Using them, we were able to hit Mengsk hard and very early on, and then use Spider Mines to thwart Duke's offensive pushes. It turns out that keeping that bridge in the middle mined saved us from a thousand headaches.

("Why not just use cheats to jump back to where I'd left off?" Because I thought it'd be fun to replay the missions. "Doesn't Remastered use cloud saves?" ...In theory, yes, but for some reason it didn't in this case. Maybe it was an option that I'd accidentally toggled off on my other computer? I dunno).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

JohnKilltrane posted:

Like, when it's just one opponent, they'll bring the Vessel with the attacking force, so you know what's coming and you can prepare, or even focus it down. With two opponents working together it's a lot trickier to keep track of.

Oh boy am I looking forward to Brood War -- not only do you have to face a ton of multi-race teams, there are even a few missions where a single AI faction gets to use two races at once. :getin:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Certain missions in Brood War are agonizingly difficult if you do them the intended way (at least, they are to me, but I suck at RTS), but are surprisingly easy when you learn the cheese strategies

A certain Protoss mission immediately comes to mind

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

ninjahedgehog posted:

Oh boy am I looking forward to Brood War -- not only do you have to face a ton of multi-race teams, there are even a few missions where a single AI faction gets to use two races at once. :getin:

For some reason it never gets me as bad in Brood War (except To Slay the Beast). I guess it's mostly a matter of expectations.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Hi! I accidentally clicked post before the update was done. This will get edited back to the update when it's finished in a few minutes.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Mission 6: The Dark Templar

Do you feel that, Cerebrate?

I sense nothing.

The Protoss are here. On Char. They have been for some time… Hiding.

Protoss commander, it was folly of you to come here! For I am Kerrigan, and I am Queen of the Zerg!

I know of you well, O Queen of the Zerg, for we have met before. I am Tassadar, of the Templar. I remember your selfless exploits defending humanity from the Zerg. Unfortunate it is, to see that one who was once so honourable and full of life would succumb to the twisted wiles of the Overmind.

Do not presume to judge me, Templar. You’ll find my powers to be more than a match for yours. In fact, I sense that your vaunted power has diminished since last we met.

Mayhap, O Queen. Or is it only that I need not flaunt my power in such an infantile test of will?

Foolish Templar! Prepare your defenses! I will come for you soon.

So a couple of oddities about this mission briefing. First, it’s where the limitations of Starcraft’s method of having talking heads address you rears its ugly head. I actually prefer this to later games - I like the sense of you the player actually being part of the story - but we see issues when it comes to action, like here. What seems to be happening is that Kerrigan, with her neural dampening lifted, is now able to sense Protoss on Char and initiate telepathic communication with them, but the way it’s conveyed is a little awkward and abrupt.

Second, Tassadar seems to know Kerrigan. If you remember, way way back, Tassadar was the name we got at the end of Terran mission 7. He was the one leading that Protoss fleet that went around incinerating Terran worlds. This is the first time we actually meet him, though. See, I mentioned in the Terran campaign that there were two cut missions. One of those missions would involve Tassadar teaming up with you to stem the Zerg infestation on Antiga. So it may well be that this was written in reference to that mission, before it got cut? At the same time, though, Tassadar is there only briefly and Kerrigan doesn’t actually fight in that battle. So I guess either way it’s mostly based off her reputation? Of course, if we take the campaigns as a strict guide, Kerrigan never fights the Zerg. The only mission she shows up in where the Zerg are present is the one where she’s actually defending them against Tassadar.

So I think we’re supposed to infer that either there were some offscreen battles where Kerrigan smacked down some Zerg and Tassadar was impressed, or that Tassadar kept going to wipe out these Terran worlds that had been infested by Zerg, noticed that this Kerrigan person kept popping up there, and made some inferences of his own.

Either way, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, with or without the cut Terran mission, but oh well. I’m sure Blizzard’s published some novelization or something that’s smoothed things over but I really can’t be bothered with that sort of thing.

For the sake of this LP, I’m going to make an executive decision that it’s a connection that Tassadar made in his own mind upon continually bumping into this psionic Terran who was always there whenever the Zerg were attacking. That would also explain why he recognizes her but she doesn’t recognize him, even though she retains her memories. It doesn’t totally hold up, but I’ve already wasted way too much space on this, and it’s distracted me from the main point I wanted to make about this briefing: The delightfully shlocky writing. “Mayhap, O Queen,” is one of the goofiest lines I’ve ever heard.

Anyway.

Mission Objectives:

Exterminate the Protoss intruders
Kerrigan must survive

Our start:

Kerrigan, I sense something strange about this Templar. Perhaps you should reconsider your attack.

For the last time, Zasz, you question my motives and authority at your own peril.

You dare threaten a Cerebrate? You will be the doom of us all!

Off to the side we see a new unit - a truly new unit, one we haven't seen at all yet, even in the Terran campaign. Let's take a look:

It's the Guardian, and it's a true beast of destruction. It's a bomber that ravages ground targets from a huge distance away, so in a way, despite different in almost every way, it's kind of Zerg's version of the Siege Tank.

We'll get to see them in action later. First, though, we've got something else new to check out:

That's right. Removing the neural dampening didn't just give Kerrigan Protoss Sensing Capabilities, it also gave her a new ability: Psionic Storm. What's it do? Let's check it out:

Yep. Storm does 110 spell damage over the course of roughly three and a half seconds to anything caught in it. It's a brutally powerful attack that shreds entire armies. It's also a Protoss spell, so we aren't going to look at it in great detail until we hit the Protoss campaign. Suffice it to say that it's a deadly weapon. I wonder if there's any footage out there of pro Brood War players running the campaign for the first time, just to see their reactions when they come across this crazy unit that has both Storm and Consume. Speaking of which, it's also kinda neat that now Kerrigan has spells from all three races.

Anyway. Our first step is to get some defenses going:

This is the first time in the campaign that we'll be facing Protoss in earnest, so we'd better be prepared.

Meanwhile, we start to develop our base itself. First, we plunk down another Hatchery that's close to our geyser:

An oddity of the campaign is that it likes to add a little bit of challenge by having your initial town hall positioned poorly to collect resources, or even sometimes having the base set up so that one town hall can't be positioned to optimally collect both gas and minerals. Fortunately when you're Zerg, your town halls are your main unit production centers so you're going to want a bunch of them no matter what.

We also get some tech buildings:

(Spire and Queen's Nest, respectively, because it's been quite a while).

While this is going on, the Protoss somehow sneakily circumvented my defenses:

Fortunately, we've got the ultimate panic button:

Foolish Protoss. They could not contend with my will before, and they certainly cannot do so now.

Now how the hell did they manage to get past my defenses? I didn't see a transport or anything. Let's check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

Okay, so there's two ramps into our base. Good to know.

As we set about fixing that...

...we start gathering some intelligence to try and prevent something like that from happening again:

Hmm, looks like a lightly guarded expansion area directly to our south. Don't see any gas, though.

Ah, there it is. A fair ways... wait, what's that?

There's something we haven't seen before. It's the Reaver, and it's the Protoss response to the Siege Tank. They're... real scary.

Also here:

Is a cloud of blood, the last remnants of the noble Queen who bravely gave her life, hovering stationary near those Dragoons so that I could get a closeup of that Reaver (of course, I could have just Parasite'd the Reaver...).

Meanwhile, we've got something interesting happening at base:

Yes, the third and final stage of the Hatchery is now open to us. Once we've got a Queen's Nest, any Lair can be evolved into a Hive, giving us our highest tier of structures and, correspondingly, units.

Astute observers may have noticed something odd about the second picture, there. We've got Guardians, now, but no new units have been added to the Larvae's options. A mystery that will be resolved in time. First, though, we need to check in on our new replacement scout:

A Parasite reveals...

...a lot of Dragoons.

We also stumble across one of these:

We've caught brief glimpses of them before. They're the Protoss Shuttle, and as you might expect, they're essentially just Protoss Dropships. Also like the Dropship, they make great candidates for Parasites.

In this case, doing so tips us off to a Protoss attack gathering on our doorstep. We send our air units to respond:

(That green orb in the second shot is the Guardian's attack. We'll see more of it soon, don't worry).

Meanwhile, Kerrigan goes out to have some fun and thin out some of the wandering Protoss near our base:

There's a reason I showcased Storm on my own units at the start, there. Protoss units are almost universally too tanky for a single Storm to kill them, and Storms aren't cumulative. It's still absolutely devastating - these Dragoons here are in no shape to do any fighting - but it doesn't make for good screenshots.

Our adventuresome Queen does some more exploration. Let's see what she turns up:

Another expansion, to our east. And oh, look,

Another expansion spot further east.

Heading south, we find...

Trouble. I couldn't even get a Parasite off before our Queen was turned into mush. At least we now know where the enemy is hiding out.

Predictably, we fart out a wing of Mutalisks:

I promise there's a reason for it and this isn't just going to be Mutas after Mutas every mission.

They go to secure that expansion spot for us:

Vespene is way more important than minerals for us right now. I also got the Overlord transport upgrade to keep our Drones safe.

We also take the east expansion. We're gonna need all the gas we can get:

We get attacked, but it's just Zealots and Scouts:

The Hydras alone would have been able to handle this easily, but with Kerrigan and the Guardians nearby, it's no trouble at all.

Huh, that was weird. Oh well. It's probably nothing.

Okay, that wasn't nothing. Something bad is definitely happening here.

Yep, we get to see the Reaver in action. The best way to describe it is that it spits Spider Mines at its targets - it fires small explosives that do a huge amount of damage to anything caught in the small-ish blast radius.

There's a lot more to them than that, but again, we'll worry about that in the Protoss campaign. All we need to know for now is that they're powerful siege units that will spell instant death for clumps of Zerglings and Hydras.

A lone Dragoon wanders up to bother our expansion, but we know how to deal with lone Dragoons:

And we even get some free scouts out of the bargain:

Anyway, we've played with our food long enough. It's time to go on the offensive:

That many Dragoons, though, is a bit much for our Mutas to take on. Fortunately, we've got something that'll even the odds a little:

Ensnare. Such a lovely tool.

Wait, hang on a second. Didn't we get a Hive? Shouldn't we take a look at what new buildings it allows? Well, unfortunately, we don't get to build any new buildings. We do, however, get this:

The Hive allows us to transform our Spire into a Greater Spire, which does... nothing?

Well, not quite. Check this out:

For a not-inconsiderable price, the Greater Spire allows our Mutalisks to morph directly into Guardians. Doing so creates a sort of hovering cocoon:

Our Queen there might be in trouble...

Haha NOPE! The cocoons hatch just in time. I couldn't get a good shot of them hatching because... there doesn't seem to be one? It's just one frame the cocoon is there and then the next the Guardian is there.

Now we get to rain horrible death down on the Protoss:

The above battle took place over the course of a few seconds. Guardians are outrageously powerful. They are not, however, invulnerable:

Guardians are also the only air combat unit in the game that can't attack other air units. Beyond that they are, quite crucially, very slow. Scouts are bad news for them. Fortunately, these Guardians didn't come from our Muta wing, which is still around:

Still, we might need a better solution for keeping our Guardians safe:

Scourge. We've been able to build these since way back in mission 2, but despite being a fairly important part of the Zerg arsenal, there hasn't really been a need for them. Until now.

Our Parasite'd Shuttle gives us a glimpse into the enemy base, and it looks ripe for the picking:

Scout!

Don't worry. This time we're ready:

I couldn't get a good shot of the Scourge colliding with it, but collide they did.

That kind float-y double structure there is what's producing all the Scouts. Scouts normally aren't a serious threat, but they are to Guardians.

Cue base-razing montage:

Guardians, man. They don't mess around.

While that was happening, we did run into a problem:

The Protoss decided to use a Shuttle to bring a Reaver around to the rear of our base. Our Guardians there make short work of it, but it's an important reminder: From here on out we've got to be extra cautious in establishing bases, because a single Reaver drop can obliterate an entire mineral line before we even notice something's wrong.

The Parasite'd Shuttle, however, had fled the base and has helpfully hidden itself in the spot where the Reavers are coming from:

BOOM! Guardians aren't quite as satisfying as Siege Tanks, but they're still a ton of fun.

Where are you, Tassadar? Do your underlings always do your fighting for you?

This shall be our battleground, O Queen. Face me here, and I will defeat you myself.

New Mission Objectives:

Bring Kerrigan to Tassadar's challenge, alone.

An illusion? Are you afraid to face me, Templar?

So long as you continue to be so predictable, O Queen, I need not face you at all! You are your own worst enemy.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Psi Storm is the most beautiful button in the game.

Say goodbye Terran bio balls

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

RevolverDivider posted:

Psi Storm is the most beautiful button in the game.

Say goodbye Terran bio balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlAS8_Dnwsg

Vultures and Tanks are incredibly effective against Protoss, yes, but I'm convinced the real reason everyone plays mech vs Protoss is because of Storm. Of course, the really disgusting thing is that Storm, as powerful as it is, isn't even the strongest spell in the Protoss arsenal. Terran all convinced that they've set up a perfect tank line that no one can advance past, then Protoss just says those three magic words: "Warp field stabilized."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

Vultures and Tanks are incredibly effective against Protoss, yes, but I'm convinced the real reason everyone plays mech vs Protoss is because of Storm. Of course, the really disgusting thing is that Storm, as powerful as it is, isn't even the strongest spell in the Protoss arsenal. Terran all convinced that they've set up a perfect tank line that no one can advance past, then Protoss just says those three magic words: "Warp field stabilized."
Storms against bio are probably reason enough bio isn‘t viable against Protoss. However the real killer of bio is Reavers. They can basically kill infinite numbers of marines.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun note - Guardians WOULD have appeared in the Terran Campaign on one occasion.

Y'know that cut mission that was mentioned where Tassadar would have shown up to help the Terrans contain the Antiga Infestation? Yeah, it and the other cut mission can be found online and downloaded to play as an individual custom map, and the Zerg there make use of Guardians. It's kind of a pain, really.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Oof, yeah, that'd be brutal. Especially because at that point really the only tools you'd have to deal with them are Wraiths.

I mean, I guess Wraiths are the main tool you have anyway, until the expansion. But even so. It's merciful of Blizzard to, in the end, not make us fight any Guardians as Terran without upgraded Goliath range.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

As someone who loves spamming hydras in campaign, reavers are my bane. I'm not terribly speedy at micro so the reavers end up getting a LOT of kills.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kerrigan is the first Dota "1v1 me @ Roshan coward" player on record. Which is loving impressive since it's going to be some years until Dota is a thing.

(IIRC Dota's progenitor was a StarCraft custom map, Aeon of Strife I think?)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Omobono posted:

(IIRC Dota's progenitor was a StarCraft custom map, Aeon of Strife I think?)
Yes, Aeon of Strife. Was quite fun to play back in the day.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

JohnKilltrane posted:

An illusion? Are you afraid to face me, Templar?

So long as you continue to be so predictable, O Queen, I need not face you at all! You are your own worst enemy.

Nice cope, Tassadumb :rolleyes:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What exactly was his plan here? Was he keeping her from defending some other objective or something, or did he get a bunch of dudes killed just so he could go 'lol you fought my illusion'?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Night10194 posted:

What exactly was his plan here? Was he keeping her from defending some other objective or something, or did he get a bunch of dudes killed just so he could go 'lol you fought my illusion'?

You'll see in the next mission, it's the former

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Either way, Kerrigan actually showing up for the fight is a pretty severe case of Hubris, no matter what happened.