Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Just give her a gun. The Daniel Logan clones used blasters during the Kamino episodes, but Omega and space Aladdin have to use laser bows and slingshots.

Two words; American Schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hi guys, I just caught up on Andor and I think that if Cinta ever got mad at me then I would have to flee to the farthest corner of the galaxy and still be looking over my shoulder in terror every day.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

withak posted:

Hi guys, I just caught up on Andor and I think that if Cinta ever got mad at me then I would have to flee to the farthest corner of the galaxy and still be looking over my shoulder in terror every day.

She would definitely blapp you too, and enjoy it

Also, there is apparently a lot of cinta out there, but I'm going with this one;

Wiktionary posted:

belt (a device that holds and feeds cartridges into a belt-fed weapon)

blapp blapp blapp

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AJA posted:

Also, there is apparently a lot of cinta out there, but I'm going with this one;

blapp blapp blapp

Interesting that it means film given we've also got a character named Kino.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe the Kaminoan messed up and meant "1,000,000" in base three since they have three fingers per hand, which would be 1,212,210,202,001 in Base 10 :v:

Base 6 would be 2.1 billion, but we both know neither of these are true and I'm just being a nerd with numbers.

base 3 "1,000,000" is 729 in base 10.
It's base 10 1,000,000 that is "1,212,210,202,001" in base 3

Maybe the messed up in the opposite sense, they got an order for 1,212,210,202,001 clones but they only made 1,000,000 of them.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 21, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There is at least the fact that there not being that many clones, and them being slow and expensive to make, makes swapping to recruiting regular human stormtroopers an actual smart move.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arc Hammer posted:

Just give her a gun. The Daniel Logan clones used blasters during the Kamino episodes, but Omega and space Aladdin have to use laser bows and slingshots.

it's more adorable that way

the only thing missing is a skatehoverboard

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

YggdrasilTM posted:

base 3 "1,000,000" is 729 in base 10.
It's base 10 1,000,000 that is "1,212,210,202,001" in base 3

Maybe the messed up in the opposite sense, they got an order for 1,212,210,202,001 clones but they only made 1,000,000 of them.

lol I set up the calculator the wrong way. :cripes:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Galaga Galaxian posted:

lol I set up the calculator the wrong way. :cripes:

So you're Lama Su

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I always assumed the Hoth landing was so sparse because the Imps knew they could just waltz in and blow the shield gen without and meaningful opposition. A lance or whatever of 3 AT-ATs and a screen of STs were doing just fine against the emplacements the rebels had until the speeders tripped them. Not sure why that caused the armor to suddenly be more susceptible to their blasters but it’s Star Wars. The only reason the rebels got out was the planetary ion cannon that was irreplaceable. Also seems like there weren’t that many people there overall if they all got out on a handful of cargo ships and fighters.

There’s always been a scale problem but then again ultimately it’s a series aimed at kids than rational adults who’ve spent way too much time learning about ww2. I’ve always been able to turn off my brain and just enjoy space wizards and space planes going blap blap unless I get high and start over analyzing everything. I guess that’s what made a lot of the sequel trilogy chaff so much is that it broke through that rule of cool so egregiously that it was hard to just take it in. Honestly none of the shows have done that except parts of booba feet but even then overall it was fun enough.

I guess watching it all with a 10 year old helps keep up that sense of fun. Whatever it is i’m grateful for it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Whatever you do, don’t start thinking about how the hydro-powered dry well prisons are breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Narsham posted:

1 Executor-class = 24 AT-ATs and up to 38,000 troops, and 200 assault shuttles (carry 2 squads?)
1 Imp-I class = 20 AT-ATs and up to 9700 troops, though only 15 troop transports (carry 1 squad each) plus 8 Lambda shuttles (2 squads each)
3+ Imp Deuces = 20 AT-ATs and up to 9700 troops. Stuck with 8 Lambda shuttles for troop transport (2 squads each), plus 2 Gozanti cruisers (1 squad each).

Based on the stats I was able to find online, best guess is that despite carrying a lot of stormtroopers, the Imperial Fleet has some serious issues transporting all of them to the ground. Assuming you can squeeze 2 squads into an assault shuttle, and the Executor can send down 400 squads for a total of 4000 stormtroopers. Four Star Destroyers can manage 31 (Imp I) and 18 each (Imp IIs), for a total of 85 more squads or 850 more stormtroopers. Send everything down and you've got a brigade at best. But if you can only get 4 squads per AT-AT and you don't have enough cold-weather gear, I could see being limited to a single battalion or less to avoid your troopers having to hoof it, in the snow, against fixed positions under circumstances where you have no air support.

It looks like the Imperial ground forces are built around taking control of local space and most of the planetary atmosphere, then landing troops under secure circumstances and just running lots of flights to and from the surface. If you assume they're mainly concerned with seizing fixed positions that can be shielded or sweeping parts of the planet where enemies might be hiding, that might suffice and all the extra troop capacity is either reserved for leaving garrisons behind or being able to evacuate forces.

We all know the real reason is that Sheev wanted several legions on the Death Star II to protect the shield generator and to stand at attention when he arrived, so he stripped most of the land forces from Vader's fleet.

I feel like Andor fixes this by making it more clear that, like with the republic, there are several planets under the empire's direct military control but most of them are allowed to have whatever corporation or local government administer it and do their thing as long as number goes up. So something like Hoth where it's an entire rapid arrival of tons of troops at once is probably a bigger deal than normal for the empire (like how in ESB they mention if Ozzel didn't alert them by comig in so close an orbital bombardment would have been the first thing. Sort of matches with how in Clone Wars we followed small geoups of clones sent to do very specialized stuff or to complement existing forces to provide an edge.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

withak posted:

Whatever you do, don’t start thinking about how the hydro-powered dry well prisons are breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

Nah, the holes go down to the core to make steam. That's why it takes so long to reset.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

one thing George Lucas did really well was to craft battle narratives. They were military narratives; for example, in the Battle of Hoth you see that:

*the imperials cannot penetrate the Rebel shield, and so land ground forces to attack Echo Base
*the rebel blasters cannot penetrate the AT-AT armor
*the rebels send the snowspeeders, using novel tactics and teamwork to inflict surprisingly heavy casualties on the imperials and to buy time for their evacuation
*however, they can't stop the literal relentless march of the Imperial war machine; the shield generator is destroyed, making the defense of the base hopeless
*the giant ion cannon disables the star destroyers forming the blockade, enabling the rebel transports to escape

which was all the same whether it was 5 or 5,000 AT-ATs, but 'stopping the AT ATs' was still a *military* objective. The heroic characters on each side made no actual difference to the course of the battle, but functioned as viewpoints to show the progress of the narrative. In ROTJ the heroes were effectively off on side adventures; we didn't see Lando blip blapping the star destroyers or anything, and the single 'heroic action' in the space battle (taking out the SSD) was by a complete rando.

this was something never grasped by the sequel trilogy; the battles were told as heroic narratives where the only thing that actually mattered was the actions of the heroes, and everyone else on both sides were essentially disposable goons.

the most straightforwardly direct comparison is probably Hoth vs Crait; on Crait the decisive factor was the baby death star thing that the rebels had to destroy, and whether there were 5 or 5000 super walkers the FO would have lost if one dude blew up the one siege laser. And when JJ cranked the scale lever by 10,000 arbitarily, he didn't actually show a *battle*; he showed a series of heroic actions that had total control of the outcome.

George Lucas *also* did heroic narrative battles, like destroying the Droid Control Ship, but it wasn't the *only* thing he was capable of.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 21, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

withak posted:

Wait, I want to hear this because I haven't figured it out.

The water going through the turbines just has to go somewhere because it can't go immediately back into the reservoir. As long as it goes somewhere, like water tunnels out of the lake or big electrolyzers to synthesize hydrogen and oxygen for Empire reasons, it should work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Wait, I want to hear this because I haven't figured it out.

The water going through the turbines just has to go somewhere because it can't go immediately back into the reservoir. As long as it goes somewhere, like water tunnels out of the lake or big electrolyzers to synthesize hydrogen and oxygen for Empire reasons, it should work.

The water needs to go somewhere lower in elevation to generate power. If this is the ocean then there is nowhere lower in elevation which means the water is being pumped back out for a net loss in energy. If it is a high-altitude lake then you could theoretically have a tunnel at the bottom conveying that water to a valley somewhere, but that arrangement wouldn't be very sustainable because you would be draining the lake.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 21, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Realised only recently that lovely Star Wars sequels is a thing that existed right from the start. Because, lest we forget, the direct sequel to Star Wars wasn't Empire Strikes Back. It was the Star Wars Holiday Special.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Realised only recently that lovely Star Wars sequels is a thing that existed right from the start. Because, lest we forget, the direct sequel to Star Wars wasn't Empire Strikes Back. It was the Star Wars Holiday Special.

And Splinter of the Mind's Eye! :eng101:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nine-gear crow posted:

And Splinter of the Mind's Eye! :eng101:

Smav drink?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

withak posted:

The water needs to go somewhere lower in elevation to generate power. If this is the ocean then there is nowhere lower in elevation which means the water is being pumped back out for a net loss in energy. If it is a high-altitude lake then you could theoretically have a tunnel at the bottom conveying that water to a valley somewhere, but that arrangement wouldn't be very sustainable because you would be draining the lake.
Draining the lake sounds like something they'd do.
Also in star wars they have devices that can negate gravity, so it's not breaking thermodynamics to put the water back in the lake (polluted) because they don't have to overcome gravity to do it. They just turn gravity off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like they would have access to better power sources than the potential energy stored in water anyway.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

withak posted:

Seems like they would have access to better power sources than the potential energy stored in water anyway.

The suffering is the point

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Surely one could produce suffering more efficiently and sustainably by leveraging advanced technology though.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

withak posted:

Surely one could produce suffering more efficiently and sustainably by leveraging advanced technology though.

Say what you will about star wars 9 but I guess this was what was depicted with exegol. Far from merely a space fantasist, JJ answered the hard questions

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

withak posted:

Maybe the planet's hollow?

Bet you feel foolish now :smuggo:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fastest way to da naboo is going through the planet core.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arc Hammer posted:

The fastest way to da naboo is going through the planet core.

In a mini-sub the size of a Mazda Miata. And Naboo's core is somehow watery and not under immense, Jedi-crushing pressure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In a mini-sub the size of a Mazda Miata. And Naboo's core is somehow watery and not under immense, Jedi-crushing pressure.

It's a very tough submarine!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just assume THE PLANET CORE was nonsense puffery and not an actual straight line through the planet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of a planet under the effect of magic space physics such that it is just a giant bubble of water floating in space, just a zero-gravity ocean sphere with whales and sea monsters tooling around throughout it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sash! posted:

I just assume THE PLANET CORE was nonsense puffery and not an actual straight line through the planet.

Yeah I figured it was just a metaphor, like the heart of the jungle or the eye of the storm.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah I figured it was just a metaphor, like the heart of the jungle or the eye of the storm.

Both of those are not metaphors but literally describing the center of either a jungle or a storm?? If the planets core was the same as those it would literally mean the center of the planet!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Jedi themselves could withstand the pressure of free swimming down to an enormous city under water which nobody else on land knew about despite being the only thing in this lake that’s glowing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerkface posted:

Both of those are not metaphors but literally describing the center of either a jungle or a storm?? If the planets core was the same as those it would literally mean the center of the planet!

They aren't literal hearts or eyes though.

I don't need to take the name literally any more than I need to somewhere called World's End literally.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Canonically speaking, getting the bends from his reckless free dive was probably why qui gon died in the duel with darth maul. Rather than the jedi love ban or an evil cartoon wizard, the root of the tragedy was even more relatable: lack of adherence to proper diving procedure

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think you should think too hard about any star wars movies because george definitely didn't and the disney era lucasfilm picked up the mantle of writing poo poo that doesn't hold up to even cursory inspection

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The executor alone had the firepower to pound the rebel base on hoth flat the whole point was they wanted to take at least some of the rebels alive. Also doubtful all the AT-ATs were properly adapted for cold weather and time was a factor here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1st AD posted:

I don't think you should think too hard about any star wars movies because george definitely didn't and the disney era lucasfilm picked up the mantle of writing poo poo that doesn't hold up to even cursory inspection

My measure of literally any Star Wars related material has never been "Is it good?" because they ALL fail that metric aside from Empire Strikes Back; instead I judge them by "Did I enjoy watching/reading/playing it?" and the answer to that one is generally "Yes, but..." The only one that's ever outright flunked that test for me with a straight 0/10 so far has been Rise of Skywalker.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
With the exception of *maybe* the Armorer, this covert are definitely the Pakleds of the loving Mandos.

"It always gets away." You mean this isn't the FIRST time a kid's been abducted and loving EATEN and you loving morons never thought to get a ship?

Oh holy poo poo. "It has happened before when it has taken others." :cripes:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So…

We’re just that much closer to a Darth Jar Jar, aren’t we?