Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

euphronius posted:

Juriassic park dominions was good for that reason. Maybe that’s what you were referring to.

We must have very different definitions of the word "Good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is Dominions the one that advertised itself as "Oh poo poo Dinosaurs are loose in modern day civilization" and ended up being "Look at the big locust"? Because I'll never forgive it for offering a good premise, and pulling a bait-and-switch like that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's some "Brian Cranston fights Godzilla" poo poo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I know someone that got digitally added to that movie or one of the other stinkers and they altered him so much he wasn't even recognizable when he gets eaten

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was he the guy riding on the moped who seemed really surprised to get eaten when he drove between two giant carnivores

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

We must have very different definitions of the word "Good"

Was about to say. While it wasn't as bad as JW2 it was still absolutely terrible. Having characters for the sake of it is some poo poo and it's not surprising that some people enjoyed that would also enjoy Obi-Wan and to a lesser extent Boba.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah they showed it on talkshows to say he won the contest to get eaten by a dinosaur but they removed his glasses and thinned him out and chiseled his jaw lol

I assume the scene was shot beforehand and they were in a pickle when they took photos and realized his head wouldn't fit

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Randalor posted:

Is Dominions the one that advertised itself as "Oh poo poo Dinosaurs are loose in modern day civilization" and ended up being "Look at the big locust"? Because I'll never forgive it for offering a good premise, and pulling a bait-and-switch like that.
Yeah that's the one. They didn't even really manage to get enough dinosaur action into it to at least be a fun mindless violence film.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The real dinosaur of the movie was capitalism .

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The joke "maybe the dinosaurs was us all along?" is kind of less and less subtext in that franchise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Huh looking at Dominions wiki page the critics hated it but the audiences liked it. I guess that makes sense. It was fine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

"The nerfs move in herds..."
This is just the best.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Okay, so was the Mon Calamari guy talking to the doc at the end voiced by Dan Aykroyd? Cause he really sounded like him several times.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Those ship pieces are :discourse:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Directed by Carl Weathers

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yo, Not Mace Windu Kelleran Beq was a fuckin’ BOSS.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Gonz posted:

Yo, Not Mace Windu Kelleran Beq was a fuckin’ BOSS.

Children's gameshow now canon

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why is the creature design on this planet so gross, the pterodactyls were revolting, and even Grogu wouldn't eat the little crab things

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the :aaa: face on Grogu when the little crab thing retracted into its shell :3:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Is Grogu's face a practical effect, or do they do CGI magic on top of it? He did some actual emoting this episode that wasn't just "ooooh"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rappaport posted:

Is Grogu's face a practical effect, or do they do CGI magic on top of it? He did some actual emoting this episode that wasn't just "ooooh"

I'm his hot ones interview, Pedro says that Grogu has a dedicated face puppeteer for some of the scenes anyway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved the story about them wanting to shoot a scene planning to just put the CGI in later, and Werner Herzog lambasting them as cowards until they relented and used the puppet :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Loved the story about them wanting to shoot a scene planning to just put the CGI in later, and Werner Herzog lambasting them as cowards until they relented and used the puppet :allears:

"You are cowards. Leave it." is such a good line

Almost wish they could've worked that into his Client dialogue

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Herzog contains multitudes.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
That was one bombad Jedi in the flashback!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azhais posted:

I'm his hot ones interview, Pedro says that Grogu has a dedicated face puppeteer for some of the scenes anyway

There's also two different Grogu puppets; One is remote-controlled and simpler for general dynamic hold-the-Grogu shots, the up-close in-the-pram/arms version has more intricate facial expressions and two dedicated operators.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Just hit me that of course star destroyers need a super well equipped science lab given all the bizarre worlds in the galaxy.

Now I want to see the empire doing a Star Trek, boldly going and all that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just hit me that of course star destroyers need a super well equipped science lab given all the bizarre worlds in the galaxy.

Now I want to see the empire doing a Star Trek, boldly going and all that.

Star Destroyers also have something obscene like 32,000 crew all up, including soldiers, pilots, etc. Even "just" a Victory-class (one of the slightly-smaller, older versions) turning up in your star system is typically all the Imperial presence needed to say "Your star system is ours now", because it'll sit in orbit and shoot dissident towns long before needing to send out TIE's if need be. They also come with multiple entire prefab bases ready to be set up, so if you leave them alone long enough over a planet it'll be like the Empire has always owned the place in a span of days or weeks.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

J33uk posted:

That was one bombad Jedi in the flashback!

Just to clarify for people who are like "Who is this guy?" Kelleran Beq is played by Ahmed Best. Otherwise known as Jar Jar Binks.

I feel like all the prequel trilogy actors are getting their redemption arcs now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Star Destroyers also have something obscene like 32,000 crew all up, including soldiers, pilots, etc. Even "just" a Victory-class (one of the slightly-smaller, older versions) turning up in your star system is typically all the Imperial presence needed to say "Your star system is ours now", because it'll sit in orbit and shoot dissident towns long before needing to send out TIE's if need be. They also come with multiple entire prefab bases ready to be set up, so if you leave them alone long enough over a planet it'll be like the Empire has always owned the place in a span of days or weeks.

I'm not sure if a "normal" Star Destroyer can do orbital bombardments, I thought they were always shown as needing Tie Bombers for that role. Wasn't TLJ the first one that had them doing bombardments, and that was with a specific class of Star Destroyer with a massive fuckoff gun?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if a "normal" Star Destroyer can do orbital bombardments, I thought they were always shown as needing Tie Bombers for that role. Wasn't TLJ the first one that had them doing bombardments, and that was with a specific class of Star Destroyer with a massive fuckoff gun?

Guess what the shield over Echo Base on Hoth was precisely meant to prevent?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Han talks about orbital bombardments in ANH in a way that makes me think of capital ships rather than bombers.

Han Solo posted:

The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a thousand ships with more fire power than I've...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I think that’s referring to completely destroying a planet so it doesn’t exist anymore. IIRC, a single Star Destroyer is more than capable of doing a planetary bombardment that fucks up the surface (Base Delta Zero).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fartknocker posted:

I think that’s referring to completely destroying a planet so it doesn’t exist anymore. IIRC, a single Star Destroyer is more than capable of doing a planetary bombardment that fucks up the surface (Base Delta Zero).

No, Base Delta Zero's a fleet operation. Star Destroyers have a lot of firepower to throw around, but planets are still planets, and BDZ's endpoint is to reduce the entire surface to molten slag. It takes a while.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Mando's ship gets blown up to gently caress by a light cruiser that isn't even in orbit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Those Mandos are pretty strong to be able to go mountain climbing in full armour and jetpacks and that one guy with the huge goddamn gatling gun, lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What the heck is happening to this show. I need to go back to S1 and see if it was like this. I am getting Arrested Development Season 4 vibes - something is totally off with the writing.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Season 1 was hit and miss but nowhere near as bad as this. I can't believe these people get paid to write such turd.

edit: for star wars, one of the biggest franchises going!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't know what show you guys were watching but this episode was great, just a bunch of mandalorians wailing on a dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Grogu's getting a huge round Mudhorn sigil on his chest and he's got mad overhead-flipping skills.

He's not a Mandalorian, he's becoming a Power Ranger.

keep punching joe posted:

Don't know what show you guys were watching but this episode was great, just a bunch of mandalorians wailing on a dinosaur.

It's not bad, but there's some dodgy writing here; If they know the beast is a threat and has taken Mando's before, why have Mandalorian Hunters not taken it down already? Also the kid surviving a day and a night in the creature's grip or gullet without being digested/eaten/torn apart is really stretching belief. The better way to do it would be to have the kid in the nest with a bunch of eggs, just infer he's there for when the babies hatch and will be hungry. And, oh no, they hatch as the Mando's arrive, or Mama Bird just comes back as-shown already.

There's also zero reason for the Mando's to hang around on this one particular planet full of deadly megafauna as-depicted. You could at least handwave it by saying they deliberately went there to hunt the creatures to hone their skills, or just the thrill of fighting them. Instead it's just hanging around on the coast around this one cave, while a few of them evidently get eaten by something big once in a while.

Also just some really dodgy Volume use that looked more like a 90's Trek soundstage (eg; the Campfire scene), which is the opposite of what the Volume's supposed to achieve.