Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't see why Let's Plays are an inherently inferior format of video entertainment. Is it somehow better to spend one's "limited time on Earth" watching John Wayne's adventures, or Alan Shore trying to gently caress as many women as he possibly can? Or Teal'c going "indeed"?

Also, the Let's Play forum here on SA gave us the rock-paper-scissors thread and you can't tell me that wasn't art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

before the suez incident, the final ariel manifestation was when he commanded me to tell a random goon to come home from the middle east asap because poo poo was about to break loose. this was like a month before covid. i didn't see him then though, his voice just kind of came from afar. said goon actually did come home and is still alive afaik, so maybe that was the good deed that released ariel from the purgatory of my dreams

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 14, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Is it somehow better to spend one's "limited time on Earth" watching [...] Alan Shore trying to gently caress as many women as he possibly can?

absolutely yes

i would also accept james spader playing video games

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I would watch him playing any game, to be honest. I guess that brands me a no-person in Leon Trotsky 2012's world.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I spend a large a mount of the few hours I have left remaining on this Earth watching Top Gear

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I am inclined to agree with Leon, I have no appetite for streamers and influencers. My gf watches that kind of stuff and I'm just glad she has headphones.

The progression of "improvements" I'd make to those videos would be for them to show their reactions less, make dumb whacky voices and quips less, talk less, and eventually just close the laptop. Perfect.

OTOH I admit i used to watch day9 dailies when I was trying to understand how to effectively play SC2. The focus was always on the game and the information he was sharing, not on his face or reactions. That kind of approach I can appreciate.

Even informative podcasts and stuff tend to go on tangents that I never find funny or interesting, and people who constantly say "like" "um" or "y'know" make me near psychotic. Yes I'm obviously a grumpy bitter cynic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rappaport posted:

I would watch him playing any game, to be honest. I guess that brands me a no-person in Leon Trotsky 2012's world.

Correct.

Please report to processing and turn in your keyboard citizen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Correct.

Please report to processing and turn in your keyboard citizen.

You know you don't need a keyboard to watch a Youtube video, right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

I am inclined to agree with Leon, I have no appetite for streamers and influencers. My gf watches that kind of stuff and I'm just glad she has headphones.

The progression of "improvements" I'd make to those videos would be for them to show their reactions less, make dumb whacky voices and quips less, talk less, and eventually just close the laptop. Perfect.

OTOH I admit i used to watch day9 dailies when I was trying to understand how to effectively play SC2. The focus was always on the game and the information he was sharing, not on his face or reactions. That kind of approach I can appreciate.

Even informative podcasts and stuff tend to go on tangents that I never find funny or interesting, and people who constantly say "like" "um" or "y'know" make me near psychotic. Yes I'm obviously a grumpy bitter cynic.

For whatever reason, the ideal way to climb to the top of any media-based social media (video, podcasts, streaming, whatever) is to meditate upon the spirit of Youtube Reaction Thumbnail Guy and mold your entire personality into becoming the living incarnation of lovely clickbait clips. That's what the algorithms love. So whether it's the top Youtubers, top podcasters, or top streamers, they're all loving annoying as hell.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i feel old for just wanting to watch the more traditional lp of games. nice, edited, non-live

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 15, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/rbalticstates/status/1636278776098168833

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

P.S. We're in Northern Europe!...
lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/nbardeff/status/1637567281881395200

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been 54 years and Germany still hasn't landed on the moon so nuts to you, Nabard. :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mellow Seas posted:

It's been 54 years and Germany still hasn't landed on the moon so nuts to you, Nabard. :colbert:

Excuse me?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Broke: The USA never landed on the moon, it was filmed on Earth

Woke: The USA landed on the moon for the first time in 1969

Bespoke: The USA landed on the moon in 1969 to deliver a cargo of Operation Paperclip rescuees to the now fully operational Nazi moonbase

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Saw this posted in BFC as "the unluckiest human being in America."

Or, possibly, the most cursed employee in America.

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1637195147640446976

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imagine the water cooler stories tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

water cooler raid boss

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's get that guy in the door at Twitter ASAP

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Who would have thought things would turn out like this, way back when I was getting my degree in moustache twirling

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I got 4 emails from 4 different banks (2 of which I haven't been using for years) all within a few hours today just letting me know how strong their deposits are and bragging about being well capitalized.

They are all regional/local credit unions/banks, but they must be feeling the PR heat and fear people have about regional banks right now.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
see, this is why i stay broke, i don't have to worry about losing all my money

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

see, this is why i stay broke, i don't have to worry about losing all my money

Two of these banks I haven't even had an open about with in over a decade. Kind of impressed that they are keeping their records for that long/disappointed they aren't curating their lists.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Do they ever confirm in the show whether Spongebob is a Christian?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's right in the song. As I recall it goes,

quote:

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Observant and haloed and pious is he!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I was convinced to watch American Dad about 6 or 7 months ago and I'm surprised how consistently good it is.

Also, the weird hyper violent and serious sub-plot about a golden poop (that is always displayed in a different aspect ratio to make it more cinematic) that is revealed in 4-minute increments once every 4 seasons and takes 16 literal years to hit the punchline is some amazing commitment to the bit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/ChrisJBakke/status/1638323074205614082

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
GOLD TOP NUTS

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: My broken mouse that double clicks really fast when you do a single click is able to beat the forum's 10-second post timer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

GOLD TOP NUTS

That is an incredible episode too. It feels like you're watching the result of someone else having a fever dream and being required to write a script using only dialogue you screamed out in your sleep.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't rewatch stuff a ton. I have seen the first seasons of some really great shows two or three times as other seasons have come out. Like the Good Place, Bojack, and Community.

Gold Top Nuts came out in September and Ive watched it 4 times so far. Sometimes getting high with my wife I would start laughing thinking about it.

I worry I'm going to ruin it for people through the Clerks effect, but I think everyone knows not to listen to me by now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Edit: My broken mouse that double clicks really fast when you do a single click is able to beat the forum's 10-second post timer.

As a mod, you're exempt from that actually, at least in your home forum and probably in others (I think this has been adjusted since I last tested it, but I used to be able to ignore it in CSPAM). Putting a thread in 10 minute mode and then posting freely is the most effective harmless way to troll it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epic High Five posted:

As a mod, you're exempt from that actually, at least in your home forum and probably in others (I think this has been adjusted since I last tested it, but I used to be able to ignore it in CSPAM). Putting a thread in 10 minute mode and then posting freely is the most effective harmless way to troll it.

I'm definitely not immune from it all the time. Sometimes I will try to make two separate posts very fast, but will get the timer warning.

I should just replace my mouse, but it works fine except for the fact that one out of every 20 clicks will be an incredibly fast double click and that fast double click has beaten the timer in multiple forums.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm definitely not immune from it all the time. Sometimes I will try to make two separate posts very fast, but will get the timer warning.

I should just replace my mouse, but it works fine except for the fact that one out of every 20 clicks will be an incredibly fast double click and that fast double click has beaten the timer in multiple forums.

I used to have an issue with that, I think there's an even shorter window nobody is exempt from that a sufficiently broken mouse can get past maybe. I wasn't about to give up on a G502 original run until it literally stopped working tho so new mouse was never an option.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I was convinced to watch American Dad about 6 or 7 months ago and I'm surprised how consistently good it is.

Also, the weird hyper violent and serious sub-plot about a golden poop (that is always displayed in a different aspect ratio to make it more cinematic) that is revealed in 4-minute increments once every 4 seasons and takes 16 literal years to hit the punchline is some amazing commitment to the bit.

American Dad! is probably my favorite show currently being produced right now. Kind of goes through a bad season every few years but has maintained really well. I think it's because of Roger's persona's, but surprisingly the Gold Top Nuts episode specifically didn't include Roger until the last scene, and it was excellent.

The AI thread was gassed I guess because people were getting angry about education or something? Can I or someone make a new one thats more general? Its like the only thread I really follow on this site anymore besides the Pathfinder 2e one. I like the longer form discussions on the topic in d&d as opposed to the more informal GBS style.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gurragadon posted:

The AI thread was gassed I guess because people were getting angry about education or something? Can I or someone make a new one thats more general? Its like the only thread I really follow on this site anymore besides the Pathfinder 2e one. I like the longer form discussions on the topic in d&d as opposed to the more informal GBS style.

It was a good thread and I'm not sure what happened at the end but CZS seems to think he has a responsibility to keep D&D threads from being "embarrassing" which... LOL. I liked it and support another. The entire idea was to have that to get into nitty gritty about LLMs and let tech nightmares be more broad, I thought.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 22, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

gurragadon posted:

American Dad! is probably my favorite show currently being produced right now. Kind of goes through a bad season every few years but has maintained really well. I think it's because of Roger's persona's, but surprisingly the Gold Top Nuts episode specifically didn't include Roger until the last scene, and it was excellent.

I think you can make a new one with a more general focus. I only checked in on the thread every once in a while, but I think the issue is that it became "argue with one specific guy about why cheating in school is good" for about two months.

There's also the tech nightmares thread, that dabbles in AI, but isn't exclusively about it.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

It was a good thread and I'm not sure what happened at the end but CZS seems to think he has a responsibility to keep D&D threads from being "embarrassing" which... LOL

As somebody who has on opinion on AI that would border on embarrassing, I am willing to take all blame. It's just such a good topic to branch into so many different areas and one of the major topics of now.

Edit:

I think you can make a new one with a more general focus. I only checked in on the thread every once in a while, but I think the issue is that it became "argue with one specific guy about why cheating in school is good" for about two months.

There's also the tech nightmares thread, that dabbles in AI, but isn't exclusively about it.

Cool, it was a pretty low trafficked thread for the most part so when somebody was talking a lot it could veer into weird directions sometimes. I was just gone for about a week and noticed it had kind of been focused on that.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
luckily for us, it's pretty much impossible to be more embarrassing than that one Google engineer who convinced himself his own chatbot was sentient

look at that motherfucker