Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that isn't a shock at all. Millar maybe isn't right wing but he's at the very least that kind of contrarian libertarian that actually is just right wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Taken in by Tucker Carlson pretending to be surprised major news companies are just taking marching orders from the uber-rich. It's amazing how eager some people are to advertise their stupidity.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
There's this clip floating around of Tucker Carlson just serving Ben Shapiro arguing that traditional signifiers of progress like buying a car and a house have become unattainable for most college graduates and that workforce automation will destroy American families and he's just...right about everything. He's a Fox News talking head, regularly foments hatred against immigrants, transpeople, etc., and is just plain evil, but I can see someone without much familiarity with American news media being duped by a short out-of-context clip of the curtain briefly being lifted.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yeah, I don’t expect Millar to be aware of Carlson, he seems to be an unknown outside the US unless you’re very online and keyed in to American media/politics. Like wasn’t there just some massive issue with the BBC? I have no idea what’s going on there and would have to research the issue, and I only know something’s up because I follow a number of brits so it ended up on my timeline.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Yeah, I don’t expect Millar to be aware of Carlson, he seems to be an unknown outside the US unless you’re very online and keyed in to American media/politics. Like wasn’t there just some massive issue with the BBC? I have no idea what’s going on there and would have to research the issue, and I only know something’s up because I follow a number of brits so it ended up on my timeline.

Feels like there's a new one every week, but the latest I know of is that Gary Lineker (former footballer and sports commentator) criticized the government's immigration policies comparing them to 1930s Germany, the BBC suspended him, and pretty much everyone who could afford to do so walked off in protest.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Bruceski posted:

Feels like there's a new one every week, but the latest I know of is that Gary Lineker (former footballer and sports commentator) criticized the government's immigration policies comparing them to 1930s Germany, the BBC suspended him, and pretty much everyone who could afford to do so walked off in protest.

They also decided to move a David Attenborough nature documentary to their Online service only, because it could be offensive to the right-wing.

Can't be mean about Daddy oil!

And their (Conservative party donor) prime-time news host had to resign from a bunch of charities because she dismissed (former Prime Minister) Boris Johnson's father breaking his wife's nose in a violent attack as "it only happened once" during a debate about giving said Wife-beater a knighthood.

The BBC is hopelessly compromised by the Tories.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 22, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

As a european, I just barely know who Tucker Carlson is, and I follow US politics pretty closely, and i'm interested in what the right wing is doing there. It is not at all surprising if Millar doesn't know who he is.

Also, Ultimates was satire. The fact that people don't seem to understand that a writer can write characters who are bad people, without being a bad person themselves, is a bit scary.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I feel like if you're gonna write a fawning post about someone you saw for five seconds on the internet, maybe you should do maybe do a cursory googling first.

Just to make sure you aren't being a complete dumbass.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Our right-wing TV and radio commentators including Tucker regularly call for imprisoning and killing anyone who doesn't look or act like them. Whatever is happening in alot of Europe pales in comparision

E: which leads to massacres that they then pretend they had nothing to do with.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kchama posted:

I feel like if you're gonna write a fawning post about someone you saw for five seconds on the internet, maybe you should do maybe do a cursory googling first.

Just to make sure you aren't being a complete dumbass.

Millar was interviewed by YouTube personality The Critical Drinker a few months ago, and it was funny watching Drinker feel out Millar's positions in the Pop Culture Wars only for Millar to smile through and give responses like, "Every generation feels ownership over their favorite series and characters, but it's the next generation's job to keep evolving and making new stories for their own time" (paraphrasing). Maybe Millar would hate on the woke mob sjw soyflakes more if the fallout wouldn't hurt his media deals, who knows.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

someone posted a clip from the critical drinker somewhere on these forums and it was the worst 30 seconds of put on grating personality this side of pewdiepie jesus christ

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Don't you love when someone makes drinking a core facet of their personality?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shageletic posted:

someone posted a clip from the critical drinker somewhere on these forums and it was the worst 30 seconds of put on grating personality this side of pewdiepie jesus christ

Every now and then until I finally blocked his channel YouTube who spit one of his videos at me because I watched, I dunno, Cosmonaut Variety Hour talk about MCU stuff and it was just a typical CG-esque douche except Scottish and sounding like he was constipated.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Soonmot posted:

Don't you love when someone makes drinking a core facet of their personality?

It's only a matter of time until someone makes a youtube channel called the Drunken Beard and welp never mind because I looked it up before posting and it exists but doesn't at a glance seem particularly chuddy so I guess its good that it won't get used by some EVS acolyte I guess

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1638600603202097153

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Part of why I love hate twitter. There’s a dude arguing with Tom that Kal isn’t a refugee, he’s an adoptee. The audacity.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
:actually: The current legal definition of "refugee" in the US only covers persecution, not fleeing an environmental disaster like one's planet blowing up. :smugbert:

Yes, we are that horrible.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Actually Superman is an illegal alien (literally). Checkmate liberals.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
It must have been difficult for him to get financial aid for college. I guess Ma and Pa Kent paid his way?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rental Sting posted:

It must have been difficult for him to get financial aid for college. I guess Ma and Pa Kent paid his way?

He went to college in the 30s, it was free for everyone.

Actually I don't know if original Clark Kent went to college, I'm assuming the modern version did, because it's basically impossible to get a job as a newspaper reporter without a degree, but I don't think that was true back in the 30s.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Oasx posted:

Also, Ultimates was satire. The fact that people don't seem to understand that a writer can write characters who are bad people, without being a bad person themselves, is a bit scary.

You greatly misunderestimate our stupidity, I'm afraid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

He went to college in the 30s, it was free for everyone.

Actually I don't know if original Clark Kent went to college, I'm assuming the modern version did, because it's basically impossible to get a job as a newspaper reporter without a degree, but I don't think that was true back in the 30s.

His college girlfriend was a mermaid. Those stories were from the 50s but give him a few years and that would be in college in the 30s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rental Sting posted:

In at least one version of his origin, he crashed on the Kents' farm during a snow storm, so they just claimed he was born during that and got him a birth certificate and Social Security number. It's 092-09-6616

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
9 months is maybe too implausibly long for one continuous snow storm

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

Kansas

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

You don't show for a few months and if you were trying to hide it you can probably get to 6 or 7 months before it became obvious. Or you claim he was a premee. So like a two or 3 month time where everyone is snowed in. Absolutely has happened in rural Kansas before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

In at least one version of his origin, he crashed on the Kents' farm during a snow storm, so they just claimed he was born during that and got him a birth certificate and Social Security number. It's 092-09-6616

Gonna do some secret identity theft on Kal-El.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Could also just say he was a foundling, which he was. Pretty sure mystery orphans can still be legally people.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is the way

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

:mods:

Random Stranger posted:

Gonna do some secret identity theft on Kal-El.
Where's How Wonderful? Goons are trying to farm kiwis in a Kansas snowstorm over here!
They's conspiring.
hearty LOL that Endless Mike knows Superman's social. Impressively nerdy. Hahaha, awesome

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

disposablewords posted:

Could also just say he was a foundling, which he was. Pretty sure mystery orphans can still be legally people.

Foundlings can be taken away by the state. It's safer for the Kents to claim that Clark is their natural born son.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

site posted:

It's fine, because The Manhunters caused the long snow-storm.

I've not read that comic for something like 30 years, and still remember that factoid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

Where's How Wonderful? Goons are trying to farm kiwis in a Kansas snowstorm over here!
They's conspiring.
hearty LOL that Endless Mike knows Superman's social. Impressively nerdy. Hahaha, awesome

I had to look it up! I just knew that there's a published number for him, though it was apparently from the 50s so might not be canon anymore.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Social Security didn't even exist until 1936, and to this day foreign nationals can get a SSN if they work in the US, as well as draw benefits from paying in. Pre-1996 you didn't even need permission from DHS. Also home births were not strange or unusual in the 1930s and there was no big huge rush to get a birth certificate because it didn't really do much for you. It wasn't until World War II that they became necessary as proof you were a natural born citizen to work in factories contributing to the war effort. There are lots of stories of people having to have someone go with them to attest to their birth to get a 'delayed birth certificate' as adults because they were born at home and their parents just didn't bother.

So yeah noone would've blinked an eye about old John and Martha Kent showing up with a baby six months later regardless of weather. Adoption was considered a bit of a sensitive subject, original birth certificates would've been sealed by court order anyway, people really did leave babies on doorsteps at times, and in a small town everyone would've just nodded and smiled and accepted it without too much fuss.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://www.genealogybank.com/newsletter-archives/201307/help-needed-cracking-genealogy-brick-wall

:allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incredible

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
In the earliest version (Action Comics no.1, pg.1) the Kents find him, drop him off at an orphanage, then return an unspecified amount of time later to adopt him. We can assume the orphanage did whatever processing would have been appropriate for the 1910s (assuming he's in his 20s as of publication) in the interim. It probably involved a lot of fumigation, and... I dunno, phrenology?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

After The War posted:

In the earliest version (Action Comics no.1, pg.1) the Kents find him, drop him off at an orphanage, then return an unspecified amount of time later to adopt him. We can assume the orphanage did whatever processing would have been appropriate for the 1910s (assuming he's in his 20s as of publication) in the interim. It probably involved a lot of fumigation, and... I dunno, phrenology?

man that is a risky move to get some paperwork done. You gotta get back there to pick up the kid before he gets loaded on a train to be sold off somewhere

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know it is Max Landis, but in American Alien, wasn't it basically an open secret about where Clark/Kal-El came from in Smallville and the town also helped forge a birth certificate for him? Or at least that is what I took out of it from what I have seen.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

pretty good but feels like it's tipping it's hand with Kal/Cal