Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

generally those who enforce 'the canon' tend to be a bit square, which means the canon is also a pretty square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

At some point a couple years ago did somebody at the Criterion office say, "hey, has anybody else noticed that we don't do movies with black people in them?" and now they're trying to make up for lost time?

There was a New York Times article in early 2020 and they have since made an effort to be more diverse.

Of course, the idiots on some boards go on about Criterion being "woke" and that's why they had to lay off employees. As if titles like Shaft, Malcolm X, Buck and the Preacher (especially after NOPE), Menace II Society, or the Van Peebles box wouldn't sell.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Egbert Souse posted:

Of course, the idiots on some boards go on about Criterion being "woke" and that's why they had to lay off employees. As if titles like Shaft, Malcolm X, Buck and the Preacher (especially after NOPE), Menace II Society, or the Van Peebles box wouldn't sell.

they just didn't sell enough Pre-Code t-shirts

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

eagerly awaiting the first criterion collection nft

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's almost that time again, so I put together a short list of titles I'd recommend holding off on for now...

Likely UHD upgrades (either already out in UK/elsewhere or anniversaries):
Amarcord (50th anniversary)
The 400 Blows (and the rest of the Antoine Doniel films)
Walkabout
Salo
The Wages of Fear
8 1/2 (60th anniversary)
Naked Lunch
Videodrome (40th anniversary)
Le samourai
Naked
Army of Shadows
The Double Life of Veronique
Breathless
The Last Emperor
The Ice Storm

With three Gilliam upgrades this year, I'd expect UHD upgrades of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Brazil to be soon (both already have 4K masters). There's also new 4K restorations of Videodrome and Naked Lunch from Arrow.

And here's my picks for my favorite releases of the last two years...

A Hard Day's Night (UHD) - Gorgeous 4K restoration, one of the best B&W films on the format.
Love Affair - Long-suffering public domain film finally gets a beautiful restoration.
Le cercle rouge (UHD) - New 4K restoration is a big improvement over the long-OOP Blu.
The Last Waltz (UHD) - Underrated Scorsese picture, looks and sounds amazing.
The Girl Can't Help It - One of the great 50s comedies, first Tashlin in the collection!
The Tales of Hoffmann - I watched this on shrooms and had a religious experience.
Blow Out (UHD) - The Blu already looks great, but this takes it over a few levels.
Daisies - Completely insane movie and wonderful.
Mildred Pierce (UHD) - One of the great 40s Warner films with an incredible performance by Joan Crawford
Hollywood Shuffle - Robert Townsend's satirical comedy is a lot of fun, clearly an influence on UHF.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Hollywood Shuffle - Robert Townsend's satirical comedy is a lot of fun, clearly an influence on UHF.

really glad this got a criterion edition.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

And here's my picks for my favorite releases of the last two years...

A Hard Day's Night (UHD) - Gorgeous 4K restoration, one of the best B&W films on the format.

Can Confirm, that Hards Day's Night release kicks substantial amounts of rear end.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Grabbed Three Colors 4K, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen 4K, and Inland Empire.

Also, forgot to mention that The Princess Bride 4K will likely be a July release. Criterion briefly featured it on the coming soon page along with the June titles before it was taken down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they'll do that neat little storybook packaging for the Princess Bride 4k release.

The blu looks great though, I don't necessarily feel the need to upgrade but if the blu already looks that good then I guess there's a chance the UHD could end up being one of those knockout gamechanger type essential upgrades. I'll wait to read some reviews.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I got four.

Inland Empire
Bringing Up Baby
A Brighter Summer Day
Dasies

Edit: As an aside, I found True Stories is posted on YouTube in full (the official YouTube Movies channel, it’s above board, folks). I’ve been a Talking Heads fan for years and I slept on this. It’s great. The mellow surrealism is entrancing, it’s got a clever sense of humor and the integrated music is really enjoyable. A great movie to just throw on.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 21, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
True Stories is an unbelievably great movie. So is Daisies!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed The Last Waltz 4k, Crumb blu-ray, and Stalker blu-ray.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Picked up Blue Velvet and Being John Malkovich :cheers:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

I grabbed The Last Waltz 4k, Crumb blu-ray, and Stalker blu-ray.

poo poo, I forgot about Crumb! :doh:

Oh well, I did get Stalker, as well as Lady Snowblood, House and Come and See.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Daisies - Completely insane movie and wonderful.

Chytilova's catalog is chock full of great films, it's kind of embarrassing that Criterion took so long here.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Didn’t realize all of those codes they send don’t expire. Went back through my emails and had $60 to use. Not bad!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Citizen Kane 4K, Hollywood Shuffle, and Defending Your Life. Not the worst selection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Action Serious posted:

Didn’t realize all of those codes they send don’t expire. Went back through my emails and had $60 to use. Not bad!

Well this made me comb through my emails and find two more codes I never used.

Whelp. Grabbed Citizen Kane 4k and Pasolini's Trilogy of Life box set, since those two tend to be expensive or out of stock during B&N sales.

edit: Which just gave me 500 points, meaning I just got emailed a $50 credit. Oh boy. Um. Zatoichi Box set or the Three Colors 4k set... Decisions, decisions.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 22, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Three Colours restorations look goddamn beautiful

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

The Three Colours restorations look goddamn beautiful

And I love Julie Delpy so much. (Haven't seen this yet, always meant to blind-buy the set.)

edit: Alright, my total, and I'm totally done, not buying any more this sale:

Citizen Kane 4k
Trilogy of Life box set
Three Colors 4k UHD set
The Last Waltz 4k
Crumb blu-ray
Stalker blu-ray

Holy poo poo. This cost me a little under $100, all free shipping.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 22, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

failed to buy Crash before it sold out :( next sale is around October, right?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

failed to buy Crash before it sold out :( next sale is around October, right?

What's stopping you from getting the Arrow 4k? That's what I have, and it's great.

edit: Barnes & Nobles should be doing a 50% sale during the summer. If you're specifically waiting for Criterion, yeah, I think it's usually in October or November.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I got Marriage Story, Solaris, Eve's Bayou, and three trilogies (Three Colors, von Trier's Europe trilogy and Haneke's trilogy), and I had $27 worth of coupons :woop:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

What's stopping you from getting the Arrow 4k? That's what I have, and it's great.

don't have a 4K player and not particularly interested in getting one. plus there were a couple other Criterions I was gonna get along with it (Cure and The Parallax View).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

don't have a 4K player and not particularly interested in getting one. plus there were a couple other Criterions I was gonna get along with it (Cure and The Parallax View).

Fair enough. It's one of my most rewatched 4ks, so I'm a big proponent of Arrow's release.

I need to watch Parallax View sometime. I just watched Three Days of the Condor, which I loved, and they get lumped together a lot. And Klute rules, I dig Pakula.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Fair enough. It's one of my most rewatched 4ks, so I'm a big proponent of Arrow's release.

I need to watch Parallax View sometime. I just watched Three Days of the Condor, which I loved, and they get lumped together a lot. And Klute rules, I dig Pakula.

Three Days of the Condor is really good and I love Klute but I'd say The Parallax View is both Pakula's best and the best of the '70s Paranoia Thriller Wave. It's a seriously incredible movie.

Criterion's cover for it is kinda rear end but what are you gonna do.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Three Days of the Condor is really good and I love Klute but I'd say The Parallax View is both Pakula's best and the best of the '70s Paranoia Thriller Wave. It's a seriously incredible movie.

Criterion's cover for it is kinda rear end but what are you gonna do.

I like 90% of Criterion covers, but I do wish for the other 10% that they had reversible covers with original posters like Arrow, KL and Shout. Or maybe even just an insert with the original poster.

I dunno, they lose some great art sometimes.

I'll bump up Parallax on my watch list. I have a lot of blind spots in 70's cinema that I'm trying to dig into.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We watched The Parallax View last year and it was great.

I managed to distract myself so I didn't buy anything last night, but this last 90 minutes has me really fighting the urge.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Picked up Inland Empire, Multiple Maniacs, and The Red Shoes 4K. Three blind buys that I’m pretty excited to check out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Went with Inland Empire and Hollywood Shuffle myself. Both will be first time viewings.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got to see the new restoration of INLAND EMPIRE in theaters and it was amazing.

You're both in a for a treat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I like 90% of Criterion covers, but I do wish for the other 10% that they had reversible covers with original posters like Arrow, KL and Shout. Or maybe even just an insert with the original poster.

I dunno, they lose some great art sometimes.

Big same.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So most of the Lynch filmography is coming to the channel next month. My question is what’s up with Wild at Heart? It’s not gonna be on there and in general it’s pretty difficult to find. Is there some weird rights thing behind it?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Looks like Shout Factory has wild at heart currently

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

checkplease posted:

Went with Inland Empire and Hollywood Shuffle myself. Both will be first time viewings.

A suggestion for the Inland Empire viewing: all the lights turned off and headphones, if possible.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I grabbed Last Hurrah For Chivalry, Inland Empire, and Brighter Summer Day from the sale.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Rooney McNibnug posted:

A suggestion for the Inland Empire viewing: all the lights turned off and headphones, if possible.

I should get some wireless headphones for my tv. Sound bar is nice but often have to turn it down at night.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

And enough Benadryl to summon The Hat Man.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So most of the Lynch filmography is coming to the channel next month. My question is what’s up with Wild at Heart? It’s not gonna be on there and in general it’s pretty difficult to find. Is there some weird rights thing behind it?

I'm guessing it's omitted because other than Dune, the rest of the films are Lynch-approved transfers.

It's an MGM property, but both the Twilight Time (OOP) and Shout! Factory (in print) editions use the 2004 HD transfer created for the DVD at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh good to know. I was eying that shout factory version of wild at heart, but maybe I’ll wait. Though who knows if a better restoration will happen.