Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Woah woah woah! Not entirely fair. They also use chickenwire to strap stacks of eggboxes to the turret to protect against tandem charge warheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I have literally seen newer tanks in a museum in Poland.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

NTRabbit posted:

That's pretty much it, and in all honesty the 16 Upgraded Perry and MEKO 200 frigates, 8 Corvettes, and 34 smaller surface combatants of the Turkish Navy are more than sufficient to manhandle whatever the Russians decide to send.

Bit of a dipshit this Putin character, eh?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Notably, T-72 armored vehicles are prone to influence by western corruption and globohomo propaganda, and have therefore been known to defect to the other side in large numbers once they come out in combat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The safest job in this war appears to be an Armata driver

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tell me you're desperate without telling me how you're desperate.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I can only imagine the T-54/55 units being dragged out of storage will be used for the shittiest indirect fire purposes, i.e. warcrime artillery on civillian infrastructure. If they're actually going to be used as frontline combat units then they're all nothing more than novelty coffins for four mobiks at a time, and to be honest I can see a few of them being used exactly for this purpose for no reason other than an attempt to drain Ukraine's NLAW/Javelin stocks.

Tuna-Fish posted:

IIRC they still had some T-55:s nominally in service in 2000. Maybe some of their ammo is not totally decayed yet?
On that note the IS-2 --- an even older tank -- was (for some loving reason) still in service with the Russian army until ~1995, so we can probably expect to see what few remaining examples of this tank remain turn up soon too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

have any of these antiques actually showed up at the front or are they just being used as artillery until their barrels give out or whatever?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think they will be used as mobile manual release close proximity mines, to further hinder own advance efforts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PinheadSlim posted:

This kinda explains why Russia poo poo their pants at the UK sending over depleted uranium tank munitions.

The sheer embarrassment of a "lesser" minor power getting tanks from the 70s/80s with top tier ammunition while "mighty" Russia has to field tanks literally from the 1940s.

Just lmao

*Ukrainian soldier explodes T55 with Carl Gustav*

tankie: "and yet you participate in 1940s antitank technology :smugbert:"

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638500119925456901?s=20

plz, arms for the poor

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

poverty goat posted:

have any of these antiques actually showed up at the front or are they just being used as artillery until their barrels give out or whatever?
So far there are only reports of them being taken out of storage

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dwesa posted:

right but the last crop of antiques we were laughing about, did they ever see use as tanks? there was speculation they were just using them as artillery

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Barudak posted:

The safest job in this war appears to be an Armata driver

I dunno man, we've seen those videos of their engines struggling to idle. I'd give them fairly high odds of just randomly exploding in flames, at which point the superior fire suppression system will eject your rear end to low orbit along with the turret and ammo.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dravs posted:

I have literally seen newer tanks in a museum in Poland.

I didn't think my World of Tanks based familiarity with old Soviet tanks would ever be relevant, but here we are. And now I wonder if they'll actually field an IS-2 again.

(Not that WoT is especially accurate, but it's a springboard to reading about the tanks they include.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 22, 2023

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

plz, arms for the poor

:golfclap:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pinata driver lmao

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Alan Smithee posted:

plz, arms for the poor

If I received a letter asking for money to buy guns, with skulls in the letter head, I would start to think it was a shake down.
Good thing this is Russia and completely normal so no worries.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Let the pinata be thoroughly beat by western bundles of sticks.

Ok ok ok maybe that's enough gay tank jokes out of me lol

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65036208

Big Z did a surprise visit to Bakhmut

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65036208

Big Z did a surprise visit to Bakhmut

Wow. Putin really is such a pussy-rear end bitch.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

South Africa aware of legal obligations regarding Putin visit

"We are cognizant of our legal obligations."

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/south-africa-aware-legal-obligations-regarding-putin-visit-2023-03-19/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

poverty goat posted:

right but the last crop of antiques we were laughing about, did they ever see use as tanks? there was speculation they were just using them as artillery
I am not aware of such footage, they're mostly seen already destroyed or captured and there were only reports of converting captured T-62s to ARVs

I wonder whether donating to warcriming organization counts as participation in crime.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is aiding and abetting a known criminal.... a crime???

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I can only imagine the T-54/55 units being dragged out of storage will be used for the shittiest indirect fire purposes, i.e. warcrime artillery on civillian infrastructure. If they're actually going to be used as frontline combat units then they're all nothing more than novelty coffins for four mobiks at a time, and to be honest I can see a few of them being used exactly for this purpose for no reason other than an attempt to drain Ukraine's NLAW/Javelin stocks.

On that note the IS-2 --- an even older tank -- was (for some loving reason) still in service with the Russian army until ~1995, so we can probably expect to see what few remaining examples of this tank remain turn up soon too.

The new strategy(lol) is fielding tanks so lovely that nobody wants to expend the effort to capture or destroy them in 2023 with man-portable weapons that are probably more expensive than the tank

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EorayMel posted:

The new strategy(lol) is fielding tanks so lovely that nobody wants to expend the effort to capture or destroy them in 2023 with man-portable weapons that are probably more expensive than the tank

holy poo poo, “so cheap it isn’t worth a javelin or an NLAW” is making me laugh hard, but not hard enough to do a full Putin and aggressively poo poo my pants.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dwesa posted:

I wonder whether donating to warcriming organization counts as participation in crime.
Well I can tell you they are probably close to being designated a terrorist organization in the U.S., and even if you are coerced into helping one financially it is extremely bad news for any attempts to emigrate here.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Aren't some of the new IFV's cannons/munitions capable of penetrating the older tanks hulls, if not the turrets? I know they aren't widely used by Ukranians quite yet, but they are certainly out there.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I mean, that kind of approach is understandable when it comes to using cheap, disposable drones to soak up Ukraine's precious, expensive and limited air defense missiles. That makes a degree of sense - it costs more to shoot down it down than it does to manufacture it. And none of your pilot's lives are put at risk - who cares if a drone is downed.

But even if these tanks are lovely 50+ year old ones from the Soviet reserve yards, they still requires multi-man crews... Even if you are evil and callous enough to not care about the moral value of those people's lives, they still require some training and investment of time and resources. And the vehicle itself needs at least basic upgrades to optics and comm systems, etc, which are in short-supply and can't be wasted. And anti-tank missiles are a lot cheaper and more common than expensive, high-end SAMs.

Doesn't seem a sensible strategy. But then that could be said for so many of the things Russia has done in this war so far.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BlancoNino posted:

Aren't some of the new IFV's cannons/munitions capable of penetrating the older tanks hulls, if not the turrets? I know they aren't widely used by Ukranians quite yet, but they are certainly out there.

Yeah. The CV-90s in particular that Ukraine is getting from Sweden have a pretty nasty 40mm AP round iirc.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Modernization in this case meaning some conscript spray painting a Z on them.

Buddy it says HEAT resistant right on the can.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

:laffo: the desperation increases with every passing day

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder how many reports of "T-54 confirmed destroyed by Ukrainians" are gonna hit twitter by April 1st

zone
Dec 6, 2016

BlancoNino posted:

Their ancient T-62s and 55s are basically no match for the autocannons on the IFVs, yeah. Some enterprising infantrymen with regular or rifle grenades could knock them out on their own, to say nothing of drones doing it.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
They will need sitting ducks for artillery I think too.

In summary, a 75 year-old obsolete tank rushedi into service with poor optics, poor situational awareness and probably poor comms manned by a crew with barely any training and a command that doesn't give a poo poo.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

EorayMel posted:

Don't worry, they can always bring up more T-90 killing Carl Gustavs

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlancoNino posted:

free hubcaps posted:

Yeah. The CV-90s in particular that Ukraine is getting from Sweden have a pretty nasty 40mm AP round iirc.

Anyone being crammed into these decrepit old Soviet tanks, regardless of which "modernisation" (lmao) package they receive, is hosed the moment they're within range of a Western IFV.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

And thats even assuming that a working 115mm shell fired from an t55 can penetrate an active defence system on a modern ifv.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
They will all drive over mines anyway.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

And thats even assuming that a working 115mm shell fired from an t55 can penetrate an active defence system on a modern ifv.

Only if they can even close to engage, lol. Assuming they don't drive over a land mine first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
A crass ploy to deplete the Ukrainian armory of expensive

...mines? Who writes this poo poo???