Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

More Creeps this time next week as I'm off on my jolly holidays.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, I am so glad we didn't have to do any of that poo poo, or even applications really. We applied to programs at universities by basically just ticking the "yes I want to study computer science, English translation and interpretation, or psychology at this school" boxes on forms, then a certain percentage of incoming students are accepted based on their final scores from our high school graduation exams, and grades in general, and everyone else takes entrance exams. The top x% get in.

Of course the downside of this system is that many of the entrance exams cover such wide amounts of material(*) that the expectation is for any given student to only study for one of them every year, and if you're applying for multiple programs, you'll be studying your loving rear end off. But I'd still take this method any day.

* for instance in the year I applied, the computer science entrance exam was just generic maths and logic questions combined with some very general and broad essays with no pre-study materials so it was an "are you suited to study computer science and generally interested in computers y/n" type of deal, whereas for English translation and interpretation they announced a month prior to the exam which sizeable book we were all to read, and then answer VERY detailed questions on the materials.

I remember that one of the articles in the book dealt with the British legal system, and in the entrance exam one of the questions was to describe the parallel legal systems used in England, their fields of application and main differences. Obviously the point of the exam was to test how quickly prospective students were able to assimilate large amounts of material in detail. Which I guess would've been a valuable skill if I'd chosen that study place instead of the computer science one I was also offered.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 22, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 27, 1935)

Peanuts (March 24, 1976)

Miss Peach (September 6, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean, featuring a riddle pulled from the worst elementary school book sale ever.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 21, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 15-17, 1941)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, I am so glad we didn't have to do any of that poo poo, or even applications really. We applied to programs at universities by basically just ticking the "yes I want to study computer science, English translation and interpretation, or psychology at this school" boxes on forms, then a certain percentage of incoming students are accepted based on their final scores from our high school graduation exams, and grades in general, and everyone else takes entrance exams. The top x% get in.
To be fair, college applications at many universities aren't much different than what you've described. The top ones will continue to be competitive and require all this BS, but there's lots of state universities who will accept pretty much anyone who graduated high school. Lots aren't even requiring test scores anymore (though in lieu of that, they want a higher GPA).

There's also other paths such as community colleges that will literally accept anyone with an HS diploma that can pay tuition - the latter probably being the bigger lift in a lot of cases. I know at least some states even guarantee that anyone who leaves a community college with an AA will be eligible for a spot in a state university (though no guarantee that it'll be the one you want).

My application to my state's flagship university was filling out a one-page form, sending my SAT score, having my HS send them my transcripts (granted, this was over 20 years ago).

All of which is to say that popular media likes to dramatize the process since it's more interesting, but the high-pressure, need-lots-of-activities, filling-out-endless-forms experience only really applies to people trying to get into the best universities, and isn't really representative of most students.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Now we know.

Now we know.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean it makes sense for Val not to kill these fuckers until he's gotten some repairs out of them.

It's like when you have to Valiant someone, you make them dig the hole first. Their hole. It'll save the wear on your back and knees.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm still not entirely sure why Sally and Ted don't tell Horrible Mother that she can stay with them because they support her as family but stop talking and to respond to any abrasiveness with their own.

Ok, that's not really healthy, but they don't need any support from her or anything...? Then again I feel like maybe Horrible Mom needs a healthy dose of shaming to get her mind inching towards "wait a second, nobody wants anything to do with me!"

Sure, she'll determine that everybody else is wrong and not her, but.. eh!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Endless Mike posted:

Bernice just wanted to hang out and cosplay as a hippie. Little did she know Nil would awaken her latent objectification fetish.

You beat me to it. Some people really enjoy not being a person for a while. (Perhaps an afternoon as a dehumanized objet d'art will help Bernice mellow out a little.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hempuli posted:

Double-Finger

Fingerpori
You can't just throw two fingers up at us and walk away like nothing happened.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Drakyn posted:

You can't just throw two fingers up at us and walk away like nothing happened.

Oh you got to meet the fat creep!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 15-17, 1941)

These are some rough loving chuckles right here.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Death of a Jester

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Bernice is simultaneously the kinkiest character and the biggest prude in this strip. Kind of like a lot of IRL prudes, actually, so I guess Team Evans gets a point for that.

Gil Thorp

Oh! Kareem Abdul-Jabbar just really hates Valley Tech! That explains everything!

Home Free

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: I wonder if Kareem Abdul-Jabbar knows he's in Gil Thorp right now.

Sad news: former Mary Worth artist Joe Giella passed away at the tender young age of 94.

He also did Batman and a bunch of other DC comics. Seems like he was a nice guy and had a good career. I however will remember him as the man who drew the Aldo Kelrast saga.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

All right! AC/DC!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/21/50

Abercrombie and Fitch was originally a store for outfitting hunters, campers, and all sorts of outdoorsy types before they reinvented themselves in the late 80s as the favored clothing brand of rear end in a top hat preppies.

Betty 11/14-16/46

Gotta admit, Reggie had it coming.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Of The Hustle Grindset And Racist Cats

Yes of course it leads to Kevin and Kell Dot Com.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Kind of weird that Archie will run for decades after these strips proved that Betty is the girl you want in your corner, and so early! Marry a partner that'll kick somebody like that for talking trash about you!

Trail has been extra boring and slow recently but as always mirin' that panel 3 complete lack of effort. Dude just triples his chin size as his hand mutates into a flipper. Also still pretty sure that Bro was formerly brown.

Got a good chuckle outta me.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 23, 2023

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

The bottle the vet is holding looks like it's for salad dressing rather than booze.

I'm also surprised that Rae the Doe isn't doing it's annual Little Women / Jojo Bizarre Adventure crossover.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maigius posted:

The bottle the vet is holding looks like it's for salad dressing rather than booze.

so what if it is #OnlyGodCanJudgeMe

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hang on, wait. Why would cabins not be available until some time after boarding?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Zereth posted:

Hang on, wait. Why would cabins not be available until some time after boarding?

My first thought was 'maybe crew didn't have enough people on turndown service?' which doesn't make that much sense. Or cruise liners are just poorly managed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Maigius posted:

I'm also surprised that Rae the Doe isn't doing it's annual Little Women / Jojo Bizarre Adventure crossover.

Checking out one day and the cashier asked me if I wanted my bottle in a bag or if I'd drink it on the way out of the store.

It was not a soda. It was a bottle of teriyaki sauce.

I mean now I am kinda tempted to try it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Edit: I wonder if Kareem Abdul-Jabbar knows he's in Gil Thorp right now.

Sad news: former Mary Worth artist Joe Giella passed away at the tender young age of 94.

He also did Batman and a bunch of other DC comics. Seems like he was a nice guy and had a good career. I however will remember him as the man who drew the Aldo Kelrast saga.

He was going strong up until retirement, too. His later work on Mary Worth might have been dated looking but it was still drat expressive and well done.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Kind of weird that Archie will run for decades after these strips proved that Betty is the girl you want in your corner, and so early! Marry a partner that'll kick somebody like that for talking trash about you!

Well, after all, part of the premise is that Archie is dumb.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The concussion he has right now probably didn't help matters either.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bongo Bill posted:

You never want what is easy at that age.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 19, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Reggie is fuckin' dead

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

For a comic that's so fond of its formula, I don't know how it keeps surprising me when the punchline hits.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm quite fond of Dark Side of the Horse too. It's one of those strips that just kind of quietly hits its gags most of the time, like Andertoons.

Vintage Valiant (May 20, 1956)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/22/03

Brenda Starr 8/21-23/50

Smokey Stover 8/23/53

Everyday Movies 3/28/36

"So you want to see the Duke? Have you got an appointment with him?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/17-19/41