Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

ijyt posted:

I am unreasonably excited for militia and going to get started on my project again as soon as those rules drop.

I have so many RT guardsmen ready for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I have so very many cultists.

And beastmen.

And scavvies. Don't let me down again, PDF list.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Why does 30k have different demons than 40k and AoS?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

smug jeebus posted:

Because it's a difficult time in Chaos Gods' life and also Imperium was just discovering Chaos instead of having 10000 years of experience in shooting them. At the same time, the hordes are more homogenous since all of the gods are invested into this Horus project.

You can still bring your Nurgle Smellingering Shitwalkers by taking whatever the default troop profile ends up being and slapping them with Aetheric Dominion (Putrid Corruption). The 1E demon rules were very flexible, and a few people took this license to scratch build armies of whatever daemonic minis they wanted without anyone being able to say "uh, that's not a Slaanesh Sexykin Pervertor!"

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

JcDent posted:

At the same time, the hordes are more homogenous since all of the gods are invested into this Horus project.
hmm, that makes sense actually. Thanks for entertaining my curiousity.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Another read is that the 30k rules reflect a time when daemons weren't properly understood by mortals outside of the Eldar.

As such, they don't manifest 1:1 with how they're understood "today." Part of a warp entity's schtick is that it performs to expectation in the materium, but those expectations haven't crystallized yet. So you get something of its true nature, but it's diluted in a broth of cultural beliefs, traditions, and folk tales about devils and the demonic.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

smug jeebus posted:

Because model sales.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

dexefiend posted:

Because model sales.

Not really. Heresy never had its own demon line, and the demon list book is pretty clear that you can use any of the 40k demons to represent your demon hordes, so the obvious motivation, "So that the Heresy players will buy Heresy demons and have to run those demons instead of the 40k demons they already own," doesn't apply.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Garbage phone WIP photo, but:

I multi-based old Daemonettes and an ancient KoSecrets onto 50mm bases. The Daemonettes were too big for 25mm rounds anyway, and this seems like a very satisfactory answer to finding "Slaanesh-ish" brutes and a regent.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Well I was kind of on the fence about HH but I just found out about Sabre Strikes and I need these to be in plastic immediately

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

smug jeebus posted:

Well I was kind of on the fence about HH but I just found out about Sabre Strikes and I need these to be in plastic immediately

At this rate we’ll have those before assault marines

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

smug jeebus posted:

Considering how recent the resin kit for the Sabre is, I really doubt it'll come to plastic for a good long while.

moths posted:

Garbage phone WIP photo, but:

I multi-based old Daemonettes and an ancient KoSecrets onto 50mm bases. The Daemonettes were too big for 25mm rounds anyway, and this seems like a very satisfactory answer to finding "Slaanesh-ish" brutes and a regent.

These are rad!

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The Siege of Terra novels consistently describe daemons as an eclectic mish mash of horrors rather than like “and then came the Bloodletters(tm)”

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Today I popped my Heresy Cherry. It was my Night Lords vs World Eaters and it was a complete massacre. We were both new players, this game being my first and my opponent playing his second, but we did have an experienced player helping us with the rules. It was a 1500 points game and I was supposed to have a fully painted army, but as I lacked some points, I ended up fielding an unpainted Land Raider as dedicated transport for my Contekar.
I was coming with Terror Assault. With the first two rounds being at night the World Eaters had no chance to get a single shot off while they got rocket barrages and the Land Raider thinning their ranks, with Raptors and the Praetor wining melees. In the whole game he managed to only take out my 5 Contekar with Kharn and his goons and a single tac marine. While he lost everything but Kharn and a bunch of Butcher terminators, which I managed to completely avoid fighting and just kited around. it was a lot of fun! I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.
Night Lords capturing the first objective.

His veteran squad moving towards my LR. This was taken just moments before my unit of Contekar disembarked with 3 heavy flammers and 2 volkite cavitors to greet them.

The Eagle's Nest. My missile marines did not move the whole game, just peppered the board with rockets every turn.

A melee that went very much my way, with the lady (Herald) being the only survivor of the assault. (Not for long) The mass of WE units in the background are his dead units.

Also for this event I rushed to finish my Raptors which turned out to be amazing on the board. Crosspost from the Oath thread:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 26, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Is that an RT original Land Raider? :eyepop:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Endman posted:

Is that an RT original Land Raider? :eyepop:

Yes, sort of! I bought one that was converted to a Spartan (terribly) and missing a lot of parts. I spent years striping it, taking it to pieces and getting replacement parts printed for it. In the end I decided that instead of the original version I will update it to look slightly more modern 30k. There are a few more things to do with it, like pluging in the obvious holes on the lascannons and attaching a flag to the giant flagpole I added to it, but I want to paint it up soon.

Endman
May 18, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Yes, sort of! I bought one that was converted to a Spartan (terribly) and missing a lot of parts. I spent years striping it, taking it to pieces and getting replacement parts printed for it. In the end I decided that instead of the original version I will update it to look slightly more modern 30k. There are a few more things to do with it, like pluging in the obvious holes on the lascannons and attaching a flag to the giant flagpole I added to it, but I want to paint it up soon.

That is very cool and I wish your Land Raider many Strength 10 Sunder shots on Contemptors

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That is an excellent restoration job, and the batrep (no pun intended) is much appreciated. Need to remember to do one when I play my first 2.0 game.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I had a dream last night a huge amount of plastic infantry got leaked and now I'm sad it wasn't real :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why is sanguinius oop? I noticed it a while ago and kept forgetting to ask

Endman
May 18, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

why is sanguinius oop? I noticed it a while ago and kept forgetting to ask

FW regularly fucks with people by listing things as "No Longer Available" when they're just being reboxed into newer packaging.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
The main GW webstore also does that. It's so weird.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Endman posted:

FW regularly fucks with people by listing things as "No Longer Available" when they're just being reboxed into newer packaging.

I think that's because a reboxed item technically counts as a new product (you can tell because reboxed items normally have the year they were released appended to their product name, so they get a different URL) in terms of their stock tracker's internal serial number system.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My Contemptors are done! I'm pretty happy with them considering that I paint for speed on my entire army. Now I just need to paint all the extra weapons for them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

On one hand they look great

On the other hand I feel bad for your opponents having to face three contemptors at once

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We usually limit dreadnoughts to 1 per 1000 points. But I need three because they're fun to infiltrate in big games.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

gently caress psykers, all my homies hate psykers.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what the Daemon Regent is supposed to be? I can't find any official model for it, so I don't know what base size I need for a proxy, or what kind of proxy I'm even looking for.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

gently caress psykers, all my homies hate psykers.
I like psykers, but these are nice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Outside of... Samus and Scarbrand, the only models that ever existed for Daemons of Ruinstorm are the Brutes. The most guidance we had in 1E rules was appropriate base sizes, go nuts. You could have made a Primarch level super demon by just slapping an extremely sassy Nurgling on the biggest base you had around.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright then, the Regent's lore entry calls it a buffer Brute. I'll probably just slap something on a 60mm base and call it a day.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I think they had this guy in mind:

But that said, a lot of the point of the Ruinstorm Daemons is that you can use whatever you want.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
in my 1e recollection, a lot of the consul upgrades couldn't select terminator armor options. did they do away with that? none of these consul options say they can't select terminator poo poo. am I missing something?

Endman
May 18, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

in my 1e recollection, a lot of the consul upgrades couldn't select terminator armor options. did they do away with that? none of these consul options say they can't select terminator poo poo. am I missing something?

Yeah, they've opened them right up. There's also no such thing as a "Support" consul any more, so any of them can be your warlord if you want.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The power armour, cataphractii, and tartaros centurions are all different unit entries and each one has a list of which consul upgrades they can take.

edit: for convenience, Master of Signals, Vigilator, Pathfinder, Moritat, Praevian, and Armistos are the upgrades that cannot be taken with terminator armour essentially.

Ristolaz fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 22, 2023

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

The power armour, cataphractii, and tartaros centurions are all different unit entries and each one has a list of which consul upgrades they can take.

edit: for convenience, Master of Signals, Vigilator, Pathfinder, Moritat, Praevian, and Armistos are the upgrades that cannot be taken with terminator armour essentially.

ah okay, that's what it is then. thank you

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
there was a weird order of operations between consul construction, rites of war and equipment purchasing in the older HH rules that I'm glad is just gone now.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh come on.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Stephenls posted:

Oh come on.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
yeah.... But fleshed out zone mortalis at least