Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
No, you need printer ink but refillable cartridges are a thing. Not all printers make it easy, or even practical depending on how physically rights-managed they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CyprianLatewood posted:

The ink is where the money is for printer sales, the printers themselves last basically forever if you treat them nice but ink needs replacing all the time and it's expensive as poo poo.

Not entirely true.

When I worked in Dell Business Sales a decade ago, most poo poo sold with a goal of 15% Margin (Profit). The majority of machines were closer to 5-10% margin.

Printers? Each one was a least 70% margin. If you sold those, it could save your week or month. Even the $3k Office Beast was over 70% margin. They were made as cheaply as possible, marked up double or triple, then treated as a lovely way to keep you buying the ink.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Can someone help me to understand the fluid dynamics inside a stovetop espresso pot?

In particular I'm trying to understand why the coffee 'bulb' (I'm not sure what it should be called - the bit that you put the actual ground coffee into) has such a long stem extending down into the boiling chamber.

It seems to me that the steam would mostly get stuck in the upper space of the boiling chamber with only a small amount escaping through the stem and up past the coffee. Clearly I'm wrong because the thing works, but what is the mechanism that makes it happen correctly?

Edit: I guess it's gotta be something to do with pressure, right? As the pressure of the steam in the boiling chamber increases, something happens to regulate the pressure differential between the upper and lower parts of the assembly?

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 20, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

could you just like, pour fountain pen ink into an inkjet cartridge

Just get Enrique to write out your documents with a fountain pen, much easier.

But no, fountain pen ink has a bunch of stuff in it that clog or grit, which doesn't matter for pens but really does for tiny nozzles and stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an online tool or service that will let someone easily record audio from a phone/tablet device and transcribe it automatically, ideally organizing everything by date?

Basically, my grandfather wants to write down some thoughts but can't type easily because of poor eyesight and finger dexterity. He has an Android tablet that he uses to Skype with us. So it could be an app, but there's no way for us to install it remotely and easily train how to use it. So I'm thinking more like a web service with one giant record button.

As I think about it, it should be pretty trivial with today's technologies, but I don't want to DIY it unless it really doesn't exist.
Edit: I can't physically come over to set anything up so it has to be as simple to use as possible.

Captain Log posted:

Not entirely true.

When I worked in Dell Business Sales a decade ago, most poo poo sold with a goal of 15% Margin (Profit). The majority of machines were closer to 5-10% margin.

Printers? Each one was a least 70% margin. If you sold those, it could save your week or month. Even the $3k Office Beast was over 70% margin. They were made as cheaply as possible, marked up double or triple, then treated as a lovely way to keep you buying the ink.
It's a difference between consumer and business markets.

Maybe margins could be 50% on the $50 inkjet too but they're definitely not making much actual profit on those.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 20, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there an online tool or service that will let someone easily record audio from a phone/tablet device and transcribe it automatically, ideally organizing everything by date?

Basically, my grandfather wants to write down some thoughts but can't type easily because of poor eyesight and finger dexterity. He has an Android tablet that he uses to Skype with us. So it could be an app, but there's no way for us to install it remotely and easily train how to use it. So I'm thinking more like a web service with one giant record button.

As I think about it, it should be pretty trivial with today's technologies, but I don't want to DIY it unless it really doesn't exist.

It's a difference between consumer and business markets.

Maybe margins could be 50% on the $50 inkjet too but they're definitely not making much actual profit on those.

Possibly word or OneNote for Android may be the easiest way. There’s a big fat dictate button on the ribbon and it works really well with a wide range of speakers in my experience.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

mobby_6kl posted:

I recently went through this with my father who is 76. He tried Dragon Naturally Speaking and such, but we found worked best was a Blue Yeti microphone hooked up to his computer and the speech to text feature of google docs. Of the things we tried it provided the best results.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Apple's voice transcription is also pretty good. You can transcribe in notes, onenote, or any similar such app with cloud syncing to make things even easier. You can do this on any apple device whether it be a computer, tablet, or phone.

Without opening the app store, I'm certain there has to be actual transcription apps that will have features like timestamping and such but they might cost you a couple bucks.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 20, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Not entirely true.

At least for consumer models, there's a price cut somewhere along the line. I used to sell printers; they were priced at cost and sold at a significant loss when discounted.

Same for low to mid-end laptops and consumer electronics in general. The business model was to get customers in the door and buy add-ons.

This may have changed with the gradual death of big-box stores and transition to online sales. Although I haven't seen significant price differences since then. It's notable that laptops containing 2000 and 3000 series Nvidia gpus are significantly cheaper than pre-built pcs although that may be due to lessened supply chain difficulties as crypto miners don't use laptop hardware.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 20, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

Possibly word or OneNote for Android may be the easiest way. There’s a big fat dictate button on the ribbon and it works really well with a wide range of speakers in my experience.
So far that does seem the easiest. I'll give it a shot myself and we'll see, worst case I could probably get someone to set it up for him.

nesbit37 posted:

I recently went through this with my father who is 76. He tried Dragon Naturally Speaking and such, but we found worked best was a Blue Yeti microphone hooked up to his computer and the speech to text feature of google docs. Of the things we tried it provided the best results.
Yeah there are many options on the PC and I could set something up but that's not a possibility unfortunately. Probably should've made it more clear but I can't physically come over and set anything up as he's in Ukraine and I can't come over because, you know.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Apple's voice transcription is also pretty good. You can transcribe in notes, onenote, or any similar such app with cloud syncing to make things even easier. You can do this on any apple device whether it be a computer, tablet, or phone.

Without opening the app store, I'm certain there has to be actual transcription apps that will have features like timestamping and such but they might cost you a couple bucks.
Apple's not an option as I doubt I could get an 89 year old guy to switch platforms remotely :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Squibsy posted:

Can someone help me to understand the fluid dynamics inside a stovetop espresso pot?

In particular I'm trying to understand why the coffee 'bulb' (I'm not sure what it should be called - the bit that you put the actual ground coffee into) has such a long stem extending down into the boiling chamber.

It seems to me that the steam would mostly get stuck in the upper space of the boiling chamber with only a small amount escaping through the stem and up past the coffee. Clearly I'm wrong because the thing works, but what is the mechanism that makes it happen correctly?

Edit: I guess it's gotta be something to do with pressure, right? As the pressure of the steam in the boiling chamber increases, something happens to regulate the pressure differential between the upper and lower parts of the assembly?

Why would the steam get trapped? It takes up like sixteen hundred times as much volume as the liquid water it comes from. It either goes somewhere, or you’ve created a bomb.

The reason you haven’t created a bomb is there is somewhere to go: through the stem. The lower chamber only needs a pressure of like point three PSI above ambient to lift a column of water up the few inches of the stem.

Here’s video of a moka pot via neutron imaging, if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnyINWkfZlc

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 20, 2023

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Why would the steam get trapped? It takes up like sixteen hundred times as much volume as the liquid water it comes from. It either goes somewhere, or you’ve created a bomb.

The reason you haven’t created a bomb is there is somewhere to go: through the stem. The lower chamber only needs a pressure of like point three PSI above ambient to lift a column of water up the few inches of the stem.

Awesome, thank you.

I didn't know the part about 1600 times more volume! That definitely helps explain it. Also I was fixating on steam rising through the stem and not water being pushed up through by the pressure in the chamber, it all makes sense now.

Great video too, thanks. Although I found the cutting back to the visibly unchanged pot just sitting on the stove really funny.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Squibsy posted:

You don't want the steam, it makes terrible tasting coffee. You want to push liquid high pressure water through your coffee. That is why the inlet is on the bottom. And that is also why you should take the pot from the stove once you get the pure steam noise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VictualSquid posted:

You don't want the steam, it makes terrible tasting coffee. You want to push liquid high pressure water through your coffee. That is why the inlet is on the bottom. And that is also why you should take the pot from the stove once you get the pure steam noise.

Yeah I tend to dunk it in some cold water to stop the steam asap. There's a good video on it by jammes Hoffmann here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BfDLoIvb0w4

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's usually a pressure valve about 2/3rds of the way up the Moka pot. If you put too much water in, the interior portion of the pressure valve will be immersed. Then there's a potential for creating a bomb. I know nothing about physics though, so I don't know how likely it is. Somebody smarter can calculate the likelihood of it exploding. It probably varies depending on the size of the Moka pot.

The upper part of moka pots only have enough space for filling up to the bottom of the pressure valve or a little under, so there isn't any reason to pour more water in anyways.

E:
This is really neat, thanks!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 20, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Wow that’s cool as hell

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
much dumber bialetti question:

I have one labeled "3-cup" size

It only fills a single demi-tasse.

what size cups is bialetti talking about?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I feel like you can generally pop 2 shots into a demitasse (with room?), whereas that 3-cup moka pot should make 3 shots.

Helpfully, "a shot" isn't a universal standard.

This is what target says, at any rate:

6oz: 3 demitasse@2oz/cup

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
What is the definition of "run" in "Run the 'Burbs" (a CBC show that they're saturation-bombing spots for on the radio) or (I think this would have the same meaning) "Run the Jewels" (no idea what that is, but it was ambient for a while)?

Follow up question, if I "own the rhythm", what exactly are my rights and responsibilities regarding the rhythm?

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 21, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tad Naff posted:

What is the definition of "run" in "Run the 'Burbs" (a CBC show that they're saturation-bombing spots for on the radio) or (I think this would have the same meaning) "Run the Jewels" (no idea what that is, but it was ambient for a while)?

This is just a shot in the dark, but the former: "In charge of," as in "run this town tonight" or "who runs Bartertown?" The latter: Hand over, relinquish, as in a stick up. "Give me the jewels."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Why are printers so awful

I don’t understand why ours can’t manage to stay connected to the wireless network in any reliable way. It’s not rocket science!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

smackfu posted:

I don’t understand why ours can’t manage to stay connected to the wireless network in any reliable way. It’s not rocket science!

Buy a brother printer. I've never had issues with its wireless connection

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Buy a brother printer. I've never had issues with its wireless connection

Nope, sorry. My brother printer has about a 50% success rate printing over wifi without a restart. My vacuum never has network issues, why does my printer? The future is bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McCracAttack posted:

My vacuum never has network issues
I really hope the reason for this is because the vacuum doesn't connect to a network at all.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I really hope the reason for this is because the vacuum doesn't connect to a network at all.

McCracAttack posted:

The future is bullshit.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This is just a shot in the dark, but the former: "In charge of," as in "run this town tonight" or "who runs Bartertown?" The latter: Hand over, relinquish, as in a stick up. "Give me the jewels."

Ok lol the RTJ hand logo makes sense now.

I really like the band but I never game much thought to the name/sign.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Shot in the dark: are you using the same name for your 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifi? Maybe the printer gets confused because it isn't vaccinated and doesn't speak 5ghz. You could try setting up a dedicated 2.4ghz network.
Or just stop printing stuff and use a PADD.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why is 404 the error number? Is there a cool story there?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Leave posted:

Why is 404 the error number? Is there a cool story there?

it's just the fourth one in the 400 series

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh. Thanks, though! This is the best thread when you're high

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leave posted:

Oh. Thanks, though! This is the best thread when you're high

Wait 'til you find out about HTTP status code 418.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I work out daily, doing about two hours of high intensity stationary biking.

I've gone through more than a couple gym mats that rest beneath the bike to protect my hardwood floors. But I need something bigger, as even with towels laid out I'm sweating enough for it to run over the edges and onto the hardwood floor. The current mat size is 72 by 36 inches.

Interlocking gym mat tiles would be perfect. I have a leg disability, which makes it very hard to me to move big stuff around, like mats and carpets. But I have a specific worry - Do the interlocking sections allow sweat to seep through? Or do they effectively block it when fit together?

Also, any tips or tricks for dealing with huge amounts of sweat in a tiny home gym space that doesn't involve laying out a bunch of towels would be welcome.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Captain Log posted:

I've gone through more than a couple gym mats that rest beneath the bike to protect my hardwood floors. But I need something bigger, as even with towels laid out I'm sweating enough for it to run over the edges and onto the hardwood floor. The current mat size is 72 by 36 inches.

Interlocking gym mat tiles would be perfect. I have a leg disability, which makes it very hard to me to move big stuff around, like mats and carpets. But I have a specific worry - Do the interlocking sections allow sweat to seep through? Or do they effectively block it when fit together?

Also, any tips or tricks for dealing with huge amounts of sweat in a tiny home gym space that doesn't involve laying out a bunch of towels would be welcome.

We use foam floor pieces like that for our kids' playroom, and they've blocked pee and cat barf pretty well, I guess. I do still open them up and clean between them when that happens though. Not sure if that's something you're going to want to do if you sweat over a large portion of the floor.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My work gives out RSUs from time to time. Is there an easy way to estimate what tax will be if I sell the vested ones? It’s going back several years so the value when they vested was variable.

The Pirate Captain fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I'd use a multi-layered approach -- foam on top of a roll of plastic or something similar, which rests on the floor. That way, anything that does get past the foam will be blocked by the second layer.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd use a multi-layered approach -- foam on top of a roll of plastic or something similar, which rests on the floor. That way, anything that does get past the foam will be blocked by the second layer.

This is a good idea but could lead to a sweat buildup beneath it and foam will eventually rot, depending on how much sweat and whatever. Instead, put the foam against the floor (or plastic, then foam) and then put something like a rug you can exercise on or a rubber mat on top of the foam so it's all one piece you can easily clean/roll up but you get the padding effect of the foam.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Put a lipped tray underneath it and collect the sweat to sell online, you're sitting on a goldmine here

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

alnilam posted:

Put a lipped tray underneath it and collect the sweat to sell online, you're sitting on a goldmine here

When I’m done and take off my shoes, I have to turn them upside down to drain enough sweat that it creates a pool in the heel.

The problem is I have a leg disability, which means it’s very difficult for my to get up and down to the floor. I’m looking for the most “set it and forget it” solution possible.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I mean I was making a gamer girl bathwater kind of joke but now that I think about it, if your problem is sweat wicking out onto hardwood floors, a heavy duty machine drip tray might actually be a solution. Something like this
https://www.grainger.com/product/14U101
of the appropriate size. Put down the tray, then the bike, surround bike with towels, use a rod to pick up towels and wash them. Tray catches excess from getting on the floor, but the system gets cleaned without you having to bend down. Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What is the name of the rhetorical device when you mention bad things about your opponent by saying you won't mention them? It's something I remember from Cicero in high school. E.g. 'I won't bring up the fact that my opponents beats his wife because that has no bearing on this discussion, and neither will I mention his fondness for drink, because that too would be improper to bring up in this case' etc.

Similarly, is there a latin or greek phrase for the device of 'damning with faint praise'?