Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

sure wonder how the midnight and 6am filing deadlines went…

Fed interest rate decision, likely NY trump indictment, and surprising speed in federal document trump investigation. Gonna be a fun day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

coelomate posted:

sure wonder how the midnight and 6am filing deadlines went…

Fed interest rate decision, likely NY trump indictment, and surprising speed in federal document trump investigation. Gonna be a fun day!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1638477158216548354?t=w9zvHuDDdWOcb312TkEQlw&s=19

Also lol

cr0y fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 22, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Often it seems that, here on this board, if you say that dealing with the COVID response was hard, some posters interpret it as saying the COVID response shouldn't've happened or shouldn't've been more severe.

Which really makes no sense. If you jump out of a burning building to save your life, that's the right decision, but you shouldn't ignore the leg you broke doing so, that has to heal.

And the exact kind of social contact that facilitates the spread of COVID - lengthy, leisurely, exposed-face-to-exposed-face interactions, spiced with other contact like hugs or handshakes, are generally an essential part of the human social diet. During the early days of the pandemic basically everyone had far, far, fewer of these interactions, some for weeks some for months and some still to this day. For the ones who went without normal social activity for months or years, that's a real psychological struggle which continues to affect our culture and politics.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 22, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

2020 for me was very weird since I work in mental health and worked in the day program at our place at the time, it went from

Things are ok, we might think about some precautions to MARCH 18th 2020 EVERYONE GO HOME AND WE WILL WORK FROM THERE.

Since part of our program feeds our people and does like school lunches I ended up doing delivery of food and services at their homes to help them cope, it was... very very weird

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This is not meant to dismiss or invalidate the real troubles faced by others - but for some, myself included, the "lockdown" period was pretty great. I work in academia so my classes went online - I got more time with my family and cat, tons of extra time to work on anything I'd fallen behind on, and a stupid amount of extra time to game, work out, and do whatever else I wanted. It was truly liberating, but ONLY because I didn't need to worry about employment at all during the period. Any lockdown debates or whatever were purely academic. No commutes, no bullshit meetings, just the important stuff and getting a check deposited in the account. Bliss.

So remember that for a lot of the anti or pro lockdown folks, this stuff is just culture war bullshit because it marginally affected or inconvenienced them - their lives were not on the line and their livelihoods were not truly impacted at all. That honestly makes me more annoyed at the anti-vax/anti lockdown people because i always deferred to those who were impacted - retail, immunocompromised, etc. The anti vax people were mostly spoiled suburban assholes who just whined online about not being able to sit down in chili's or whatever.

I genuinely miss the freedom of the lockdowns, ironically.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I got to keep working during covid, as I work outside (and had several roommates, so I was probably more distanced at work). I do remember freaking out a bit over what was "right" to do IE I have a cough should I call out of work or is it just allergies!?!?! Once after having been exposed to covid I drove around for hours several days in a row trying to get a free test so I could return to work. Twice I was lured in for a test, only to be told I would be billed. I'd rather die than pay for a test during a pandemic are you kidding me.

Anyway as time went on I realized I worked with a few people who wouldn't get vacced or take it seriously (despite boss trying to keep us separated)... I'd walk into a shop and the employees wouldn't be wearing masks... My somewhat aged parents insisted on seeing and even hugging me (theyre not anti-maskers, it was literally "if I can't give you a hug I may as well be dead").

It became clear that despite my good intentions, despite the science, it was foolish of me for continuing to take it so seriously. There was nobody in my life who I was protecting, anybody else taking it that seriously would not have a contact to me. My anxiety was essentially performative, the cat was fully out of the bag. The "freedumbs & conspiracy" crowd immediately took their predictable position, and "believe the science" increasingly became "cater to the market".

Plus I've long had allergies, and had no problem wearing a mask (still do if I'm not feeling well/haven't gotten a negative covid test). So I'd never know if people were glaring at me for my sniffling and coughing, or glaring at me for wearing a mask at all, since it was another battle line in our culture war.

In short, Trumps election and covid were extremely important events that strongly changed and shaped my understanding of the world (into lol.lmao).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DarkCrawler posted:

If you look at the way most Americans talk about their friends and family who engage in voting for Trump and supporting covid-denial, they still have not come to terms with this, and in fact are also engaged in active denialism of their own. "My *insert person* is still a good person!" "They love me so that makes them a positive influence!" "Is there really such a thing as "evil", you guys?"

I guess that is in itself a sign of collective trauma, in that" sticking with an abuser" sort of way.

This is neither new nor unique to 2020s US americans

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I do stuff online/from home so my personal affairs weren't too affected, but during the height of the pandemic I spent the entire time wrestling with the terrible state unemployment system for my elderly furloughed parents, and then when they had to return to work(in loving retail), quietly living in a constant state of terror that either of them would catch covid and loving die horribly because of their age and my mother's significant pre-existing lung problems. This made me into an obsessive paranoiac about my own potential exposure to covid - doing all the ridiculous poo poo like washing groceries and changing clothes/doing laundry when I came home - because I come into contact with them often enough that I knew that if I got it they would probably get it from me and that potentiality would have destroyed me.

They both got vaccinated as soon as possible, but there was a several month window of oppressive tension to the point that when they got their jabs it felt like I let go of a breath I had been holding for a long time.

(Ironically, when I did finally get covid this year, I got it from my dad. :v:)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 22, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I just had an lol moment when I realized that Trump has not 3 (which was in my head this whole time) but 4 legal threats ahead of him right now. I forgot about the real estate fraud one, so that's.

1) Theft and lying about possession of classified documents (federal)
2) Stormy Daniels hush money (state, NY)
3) Election fuckery (state, GA)
4) Real estate finance shenanigans (state, NY, but depending on outcome would probably have federal (IRS) implications?)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So will the one party submitting their filings 32 minutes past their deadline have any impact on this, or will it be ignored in the spirit of "justice" (while ignoring that Republicans would be screaming bloody murder if the Appellee submitted theirs at 6:01 am)?

Also, lol at one party submitting their document late and at 700-odd words, while the other party submits theirs early, and long enough that they had to request to go over the word count. That's some pretty funny "D students act like this, A+ students act like that" energy right there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Randalor posted:

So will the one party submitting their filings 32 minutes past their deadline have any impact on this, or will it be ignored in the spirit of "justice" (while ignoring that Republicans would be screaming bloody murder if the Appellee submitted theirs at 6:01 am)?

Also, lol at one party submitting their document late and at 700-odd words, while the other party submits theirs early, and long enough that they had to request to go over the word count. That's some pretty funny "D students act like this, A+ students act like that" energy right there.

It depends on the court's case management software and process, but the listed time is the docketed time. Usually, with electronic filing, the filing time is whenever you submit and the software will docket it. But, sometimes the filing time and the docket time are not necessarily the same because a clerk may need to approve and docket a filing (which is sometimes backdated to the filing time). I've filed through E-filing systems in state courts and you get a notice when it is docketed and the docket history summary shows the time it was accepted and docketed by the clerk, but if you click the actual docket, then you can see the actual original filing time. I have no idea what information the D.C. District court's public-facing case management and docket system for criminal events uses to display the times, though. I'd assume it is filing and not docket entry.

But, the filing deadline was set by the judge and isn't a statutory deadline. I really doubt he would blow all this up over 32 minutes in a midnight filing, because Trump's attorneys could reasonably argue that it had no material impact on the case, since they aren't reviewing them until this morning and the DOJ made their deadline. If Trump's legal team filing delay did impact the ability of the DOJ to file a response and the DOJ complained about it, then it could be an issue.

But, there is an incredibly tiny chance that they do that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 22, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Killer robot posted:

But the stress on everyone was still incredibly visible, and so many people were caught up in their own perspective that they didn't think about anything else. Locking down hard to reduce deaths especially before vaccines or known countermeasures was objectively correct, and for nerdy shutins like me it was easy. But for other people it was really hard for practical or psychological reasons. And a lot of said nerdy shutins were really hostile, not just to actual antimaskers or denialists, but to literally any claim that was bad for people's mental health, hard on their children (my god do some people without kids act like they're lower maintenance than cats), making logistics of everyday life difficult, or whatever. Even people with their hearts in the right place, working to save lives, ended up contributing to shared misery.

My recollection of the hostility was that it was less directed at people saying "it's really tough being around my kid all the time" than people saying "it's really tough being around my kid all the time...so I sent them to a 15 person playdate on this lovely day in April 2020."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

cr0y posted:

I just had an lol moment when I realized that Trump has not 3 (which was in my head this whole time) but 4 legal threats ahead of him right now. I forgot about the real estate fraud one, so that's.

1) Theft and lying about possession of classified documents (federal)
2) Stormy Daniels hush money (state, NY)
3) Election fuckery (state, GA)
4) Real estate finance shenanigans (state, NY, but depending on outcome would probably have federal (IRS) implications?)

Don't forget the civil rape defamation trial from E Jean Carroll. It was set to move in April though it looks like it's been delayed.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is neither new nor unique to 2020s US americans

Nothing is. The scale, nature and obviousness of both the evil beliefs and behavior excused and accepted near you are still noteworthy. Not uniquely noteworthy but for example, few societies have been this tolerant of the refusal of known basic pandemic mitigatory measures. Even on an contemporary basis, much less historically.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Baronash posted:

My recollection of the hostility was that it was less directed at people saying "it's really tough being around my kid all the time" than people saying "it's really tough being around my kid all the time...so I sent them to a 15 person playdate on this lovely day in April 2020."

I saw quite a lot of people online casually underestimating how taxing it can be to try to work from home with a young child and without extra childcare help, especially if both parents are working. I

It's not a new phenomenon unique to the pandemic, though. I think our country as a whole waves away a lot of the work it takes to care for children, which is why we don't see greater agitation for socialized childcare and why we many public school students are struggling.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

XboxPants posted:

Don't forget the civil rape defamation trial from E Jean Carroll. It was set to move in April though it looks like it's been delayed.

Also whatever is going on with the January 6th stuff

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

Also whatever is going on with the January 6th stuff

I don't think Trump himself has anything going on for J6 from a legal standpoint?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

DarkCrawler posted:

Nothing is. The scale, nature and obviousness of both the evil beliefs and behavior excused and accepted near you are still noteworthy. Not uniquely noteworthy but for example, few societies have been this tolerant of the refusal of known basic pandemic mitigatory measures. Even on an contemporary basis, much less historically.

I see people all around bitterly divided over any number of political/culture-war issues (I assume this covers your "evil"). What tools beyond "that guy isn't invited to my barbecue" would constitute NOT excusing/accepting this behavior? I dont wanna put words in your mouth, but for my part I don't see police or military being a solution, so my mind goes to mobs and militias comprised of "people who agree with me".

How does this apply even to doing business. Should an employee quit a job if a client or coworker is a republican/antivaxer/pro-cop/anti-choice person? Should the boss refuse to patronize the only nearby supplier of necessary materials for similar reasons, or refuse a client for similar reasons?

Like many of our theoretical solutions, they are useless and often detrimental to oneself and those around you, unless widely adopted.

I think this is worth stressing because these very barriers and impediments to significantly changing things illustrate our deep capture.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Good thread and attached article highlighting how terrible trump is as a responsible client

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1638529183457345537?t=IP0J4L_KKYWuWGHP7s_2kg&s=19

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
as someone who was 'essential' i kinda lost all patience for anyone crying to me about getting paid to stay home. is this fair of me, probably not, but it sure gets under your skin. love making loving sandwiches during a pandemic because god forbid people not get their country club delivered. only had almost every coworker of mine catch it at some point, me included.

was funny how quickly we fell off that hero list to

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i maybe still dealing with some lingering emotional issues after being told im going to be a potential sacrifice to our great commerce god

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah but remember the pots and pans and cheering?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

At the time I still knew a few people in retail and food service from my own time in those mines, but COVID caused every single one to leave for any other job. Not because of COVID, but specifically because customers have become so much more insane and abusive. It's one of the core datapoints I have in my personal theory that COVID was the final straw for a lot of brain breaking in this country, and we're just very ill-equipped as a nation and a people to acknowledge this fact much less do something about it, so it's just a countdown until the lunatics get the full set of keys to the place.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

World Famous W posted:

as someone who was 'essential' i kinda lost all patience for anyone crying to me about getting paid to stay home. is this fair of me, probably not, but it sure gets under your skin. love making loving sandwiches during a pandemic because god forbid people not get their country club delivered. only had almost every coworker of mine catch it at some point, me included.

Same. People with cushy work from home jobs absolutely have no idea.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

World Famous W posted:

i maybe still dealing with some lingering emotional issues after being told im going to be a potential sacrifice to our great commerce god

Same.

You're a hero for working! Okay now you have to police emotional toddlers who don't want to wear a mask.

What, raise the minimum wage? Try getting a more important job, you loser.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JosefStalinator posted:

but for some, myself included, the "lockdown" period was pretty great.

Yeah it was a relative paradise for me for like six months. I went from being absolutely slammed as a public defender to wait all the courts are shut down, then six months of zoom court where none of my clients were going to jail but I was getting stuff thrown out left and right (anything serious got postponed, and all that was left were the junk cases that everyone realized just needed to be junked).

Meanwhile people in food service were dying in droves to the point that a year later and two years later all the employers are still
going "nobody wants to work any more!" while they stare out over the pile of corpses that accrued in their kitchens and restaurants

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

World Famous W posted:

I was lucky because my job doesn't put me face to face with a lot of people and I was only around 2-3 people maximum at a time, but boy there was nothing quite like putting a lovely homemade mask on to go into my "essential chemical industry job" which was packing up lab equipment into shipping boxes because I was in the act of being laid off due to my division moving to South Carolina to save on rent. Then I had the privilege of going home and stripping down in my laundry room then moving into the shower like it's a decontamination zone because my wife was pregnant. Yeah, where's my "we love our heroes" parade.

Luckily I had a new job lined up and an offer letter signed before the pandemic hit and everything went to poo poo, because if I had been two weeks later I would have been unemployed for a long time and that was *very* clear in my mind.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 22, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Baronash posted:

That definitely existed too, but it was absolutely directed at the former. For that matter, "school isn't just free daycare because you're tired of your kids" was used to mischaracterize people worried about their children's sudden severance from face-to-face socialization with their own peers, or people who had genuinely essential jobs that weren't free to take care of their kids.

Which was anther point, during the initial "China is welding people in their apartments! :rant:" vs "China is welding people in their apartments! :dance:" era of debate, a lot of people who were understandably in favor of strict measures elsewhere disregarded that those still required a significant portion of the population out doing the work of keeping the lights on, hospitals staffed, and people fed, particularly when it was national and not regional like the Chinese approach. Disregarding that these people often had kids was a thing, or that they'd be incredibly stressed working all day in the strict "we're not even really sure what does and doesn't reduce spread" era and then coming home since they also can't socialize to unwind if that's their thing, etc.

World Famous W posted:

One thing that surprised me less about pandemic statistics was that cooks were the profession most likely to die of covid. Not like they were getting the amply supplied PPE, working environment accommodations, and functional health plans that other jobs were.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 22, 2023

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Killer robot posted:

That definitely existed too, but it was absolutely directed at the former. For that matter, "school isn't just free daycare because you're tired of your kids" was used to mischaracterize people worried about their children's sudden severance from face-to-face socialization with their own peers, or people who had genuinely essential jobs that weren't free to take care of their kids.

Which was anther point, during the initial "China is welding people in their apartments! :rant" vs "China is welding people in their apartments! :dance:" era of debate, a lot of people who were understandably in favor of strict measures elsewhere disregarded that those still required a significant portion of the population out doing the work of keeping the lights on, hospitals staffed, and people fed, particularly when it was national and not regional like the Chinese approach. Disregarding that these people often had kids was a thing, or that they'd be incredibly stressed working all day in the strict "we're not even really sure what does and doesn't reduce spread" era and then coming home since they also can't socialize to unwind if that's their thing, etc.

One thing that surprised me less about pandemic statistics was that cooks were the profession most likely to die of covid. Not like they were getting the amply supplied PPE, working environment accommodations, and functional health plans that other jobs were.

I think virtually everyone was turned into a political strawman at some point. Every possible argument for or against lockdown has been mischaracterized because nuance is dead.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

At the time I still knew a few people in retail and food service from my own time in those mines, but COVID caused every single one to leave for any other job. Not because of COVID, but specifically because customers have become so much more insane and abusive. It's one of the core datapoints I have in my personal theory that COVID was the final straw for a lot of brain breaking in this country, and we're just very ill-equipped as a nation and a people to acknowledge this fact much less do something about it, so it's just a countdown until the lunatics get the full set of keys to the place.

And the fun thing about that is, for a lot of smaller and local community orgs that ran regular support groups of various types (addiction, mental health, lgbt, etc), many of them either temporarily shut down those programs or shifted them to telepresence. You'd think that would lead to more people attending, since you don't even have to leave your house, but in my experience it was the opposite. I would call in to a group that previously was well attended, and there would only be one other person there, besides the group leader.

These kind of groups are still operating at a reduced level and just beginning to get back to normal. Tons of places completely shut down, or shut down individual branches, because there just wasn't attendance to justify keeping the place running. It's going to be a while before that infrastructure rebuilds itself. We need trans support groups more than ever, and even in the large city that I live in, almost all of those groups are running virtually and that just isn't as good as a physical meet-up. Much of the benefit people get from recovery & support groups happens in the little inbetween moments when you're getting a donut or coffee from the snack table and you have a one on one personal, private interaction with someone. That kind of thing doesn't happen as naturally in zoom calls, in my experience. YMMV, though, I really just don't find telepresence to be conducive to human intimacy.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm starting to buy the Proud Boy Collaborators theory because their defense witnesses are putting this on a tee during the trial.

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638547897124900865
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638549637962268674
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638550177421185029

They seem to have noticed it too:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638543537275912194

If you note the timestamps, that's 25 minutes before the tweets above with the same witness. He was called by Nordean's defense to establish that any plans for violence were only out of selfdefense from antifa and that mysterious unidentified men were responsible for inciting the crowd to storm the building.

Generally when you argue group selfdefense, you'd like to make sure you show some reticence towards conflict... probably not testifying to your plan to blatantly broadcast your location and feign that your mobility scooter broke down to lure antifa so that your buddies can kick their asses after a first punch.

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638214253969588224
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638214256897261568
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638216097110405121

In Block's defense, he was talking about an earlier rally and that never happened there. So it's embarassing but it's hardly as if there's footage of his scooter apparently breaking down on January Sixt--
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638534058329161728
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638534062183788546
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638534624526696449

Okay, doesn't look great, but that was only part of the plan. He also said he'd broadcast the Proud Boy location to lure antifa and he definitely didn't do that on January Sixth, he's just a big talke---
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638542104711294978
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638542112760233990
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638542120020586496

Now to backtrack a moment, another big piece of Block's direct testimony is that the Proud Boys love the police and had no intention to interfere with them, attack them, or cause chaos. This, I think, is what had the defendants salty at one another this morning:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638536131946971138
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638542128224542723
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1638543532662177796

Now, I'm just a simple country notlawyer but it seems to me that when calling a witness to explain that you and your compatriots love cops, only appeared to dress aggressively because of fear of antifa, had no intent to storm the capitol, and weren't leaders or orchestrating in a meaningful sense... you'd choose someone who hadn't disavowed cops due to actions at past protests, who hadn't claimed you replaced them that day, who didn't have a track record of planning to lure the enemies you fear into ambushes, and who didn't have hours of footage of you and your co-defendants leading the march and chants about ownership of the capitol.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 22, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

World Famous W posted:

I think this is a big driver of the labor shortage (also the million dead and disable workers from COVID). A lot of people got the message real fast. This company is not a team, my life is seen as expendable by those in charge, my work is undervalued and underappreciated by both customers and management, everything I've been told about the virtues of work is a loving lie to get me to make money for someone else.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

PostNouveau posted:

I think this is a big driver of the labor shortage (also the million dead and disable workers from COVID). A lot of people got the message real fast. This company is not a team, my life is seen as expendable by those in charge, my work is undervalued and underappreciated by both customers and management, everything I've been told about the virtues of work is a loving lie to get me to make money for someone else.
yeah, a whole lot of people i know took away the unintended lesson of "im an essential worker who they won't give essential pay to" and have adjusted their work ethic accordingly. maybe the only good thing ive personally encountered to come from this whole mess

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A wild pivot appears!

https://twitter.com/catherine_lucey/status/1638186221070438401?s=20

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1637058306417065985?s=20

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

This was what I took away from it and I got that message really fast. I was working retail, and trying to keep up good safety practices, and it was very clear the management not only didn't give a poo poo about that, they were hostile to it and expected me to put myself in danger to service as many customers as possible. I just said gently caress that and quit.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I worked in NYC retail during the initial lockdown for a sporting goods store that got declared essential because of our bike shop. I got to be in the very interesting position of being very high up in the company but also still an essential in person employee. Being on the morning zoom calls on an empty office floor while the buyers and owners talked about their outdoor excursions and working from their second home while the rest of us were still coming in as normal but now there was a death virus was wild.

E: keyboard broke half way through writing this.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 22, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mendrian posted:

Same.

You're a hero for working! Okay now you have to police emotional toddlers who don't want to wear a mask.

What, raise the minimum wage? Try getting a more important job, you loser.

*Gets better paying job*

"No! Not like that!"

Yeah, working in a warehouse I didn't have to deal with the brain-breaking hyper-Karen roid-rage incidents that a lot of retail/foodservice folks did. Instead as the guy who trained new people in my department I had to train hordes of people panicking because they've been laid off and are now working at Amazon where they've heard all the nightmare stories about.

Before pandemic was all "Okay corporate policy is 5 people per trainer per week."

During the early days of 2020: "Okay well your other trainer got promoted because the assistant manager for your department quit. Every other department is short handed on trainers too. So corporate policy is now ten people per week. You'll get twelve on day one, twenty six on day two, then come in on your overtime day to do the day one for another ten."

Before the pandemic it was all people who were either young and working one of their first jobs or people who'd been in retail/food service/construction/etc. their entire lives. When the layoffs hit we ended up with literally everyone who was desperate for a paycheck, any paycheck even if it wasn't big enough to just pay some bills now. I trained more than a few people who had to be explained that a warehouse is not the proper place for slacks and dress shoes. Wear the shorts and sneakers: yes it's not as stylish but you're not in an office here. You're now working in the Department of Aerobics, doing squats and lunges for 10 hours a night, 4 nights a week.

People wonder why I'm absolutely broken and give no fucks now. :v:

PostNouveau posted:

Yup.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I guess since we're sharing lockdown stories, I'm a healthcare professional that was in a retail facing position at the time in a blood red state. A few people cared, our friends cared, but outside of my immediate circle of friends and *some* of my coworkers, it was like living in an alternate reality than the rest of the world.

No one took COVID seriously, people actively fought wearing a mask the entire time, health violations filed by my friend working for our DoH were disappeared by the sheriff's office. Maskless block parties across the street every week. The elementary school held huge in person assemblies for families and their students at the beginning of semesters. Every doctor insisted on writing ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combos on paper prescriptions for their actively sick patients to hand you, and screamed at you if you refused to fill. Tractor supply stores had to lock up their ivermectin because people were spreading it on crackers and mixing it in orange juice. Half the clientele believed the virus was fake while the other half believed it was a Chinese plot by Bill Gates to put 5G in their brain. "Freedom Over Fear" assemblies by churches on every block. Patients asking me if the vaccine could really give them alien babies. All of my coworkers rapidly caught COVID from dozens of exposures daily. The more I think about it the more I'd rather not.

Definitely a context dependant stressor.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I guess since we're sharing lockdown stories, I'm a healthcare professional that was in a retail facing position at the time in a blood red state. A few people cared, our friends cared, but outside of my immediate circle of friends and *some* of my coworkers, it was like living in an alternate reality than the rest of the world.

No one took COVID seriously, people actively fought wearing a mask the entire time, health violations filed by my friend working for our DoH were disappeared by the sheriff's office. Maskless block parties across the street every week. The elementary school held huge in person assemblies for families and their students at the beginning of semesters. Every doctor insisted on writing ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combos on paper prescriptions for their actively sick patients to hand you, and screamed at you if you refused to fill. Tractor supply stores had to lock up their ivermectin because people were spreading it on crackers and mixing it in orange juice. Half the clientele believed the virus was fake while the other half believed it was a Chinese plot by Bill Gates to put 5G in their brain. "Freedom Over Fear" assemblies by churches on every block. Patients asking me if the vaccine could really give them alien babies. All of my coworkers rapidly caught COVID from dozens of exposures daily. The more I think about it the more I'd rather not.

Definitely a context dependant stressor.

Jesus Christ. Tell me you got a new job far, far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

NY Grand Jury unexpectedly did not meet today: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/22/trump-grand-jury-called-off-for-wednesday-00088306

So no action there until tomorrow at the soonest