Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m glad you went the upfront route. I’m probably the same kind of personality who would have obsessed over potential implications of something that hasn’t happened yet, so it’s always nice to hear sometimes it’s unwarranted.

E: It’s so weird to me to read about how when the CDJ-3000 came out everyone was hyped about how it has these beefy processors and could be expanded like crazy in software, and now I’m surfing through the Pioneer forums and all the feature suggestions are just like “nah no thanks” replies from Pioneer staffers :lol:

Like custom logos for the CDJ jogs. What reason could they possibly have to not let people customize their deck a little that isn’t “we’re not interested in coding that in”, meanwhile Denon is like “you want custom logos? Sure! You want DMX? What else you want? Come an’ get it!”

Like I get that Pioneer doesn’t actually have to do ANYTHING and people will still trip over themselves to still buy their gear, so I probably shouldn’t be so surprised that big company wants to do bare minimum to make money is a thing.

My quick foray into the Denon Engine system felt a little lackluster though. I mean Rekordbox isn’t amazing or anything, but somehow Engine felt really unpolished. I wish I could remember what my big gripe was.

e: lmao I can't use Cue Link to preview tracks on my DJM-900 because it's not an NXS2 :fuckoff: Pioneer

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've been having a hell of a time with iTunes/Apple Music the past 6-12 months. Essentially, there has been no way for me to get what is in Apple Music to accurately reflect what is on iTunes/local. What is happening is playlists disappear, or they duplicate, or they move around. I've been living without Apple Music because it was too frustrating to manage.

I decided today to finally figure it all out. My goal is very simple: I want to reset the cloud library to nothing, and then re-upload my files. Easy, right? After ~2 hours of work, I managed to remove all my Apple Cloud songs and playlists (14,000). Sounds good right?

When I go to re-sync my master library file, it removes every single song from every playlist. It's total insanity.

I spend 1 hour of being on the phone with Apple, software support and then technical support. Nobody knows how to make this happen. They all say the same thing "this should be possible, but we dont have any idea how to do it" (paraphrasing).

Apple support asked me if I could "manually rebuild all the playlists, since they're still on your iphone". I just laughed.

I'm am in the process of rematching my entire library to the cloud, and then I am going to reload my master copy again, and hope that the playlists remain. It has been going for 2 hours now, and the progress bar is still at <5%.

If this doesnt work, I'm cancelling Apple Music and iTunes match. I've had enough.

Why is this so loving hard? There used to be a button to reset your apple music library. Now there's nothing, not even tech support can help you.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 19, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tried to mix without a plan twice this week and both times it kind of fell flat.

Technically it sounded ok — it’s getting kind of hard to mess up beatmatching and I’m getting better at mixing into phrases mostly correctly, but somehow I managed to flub the flow again and again.

It’ll be going really well and all of a sudden the track I’m mixing into pops a vocal I totally forgot existed, or I’m accidentally a beat or two off and I’ve got a breakdown starting early that I have to panic eject into, or the songs mix well but even in matching key and proficiently mixed I find that they’re just not complementing each other and it sounds like a jarring transition after the fact.

I mean no big deal, I’m not playing for a crowd, but I think I hit that part where I got the basics down and now there’s soooo much more to learn that isn’t “can you make unts unts unts unts line up right?”

I’m going to go back to 1001tracklists and find more complementing tracks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You've probably seen all my ranty posts about 'my process' for intaking tracks in Rekordbox and using features like memory locations to indicate things I might havedefinitely forgot about a song. If not, go back through my replies ITT or in the Drum & Bass Thread, it's there somewhere.

The short of it is that there's a lot you can do if you really dig into the grid/mem loc features, and make a habit of doing that with every track in your crates. Sometimes Rekordbox's (and Traktor's) analysis job guesses wrong, and it's more often than you'd like. I have a system of finding the downbeat, tabbing/beatjumping forward by multiples of 4 or 8 bars, and making sure that's where the drop is; mem locs at both locations - this tells you right away if you're dealing with a track that has an extra bar or two that can mess you up, and guess what? that gets an extra couple of memory locations as a visual indicator. It's also a good habit to make sure the grid is aligned so that the red line is on the 1 - I know you've got legacy CDJ2000s and I can't remember, do they have the phase meters? I know there's no 'bar:beats to next location' but the phase meters can still tell you if you're a beat off, provided that red line is in the right place in Rekordbox.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep, I'm still digesting a lot of information from earlier in the thread, mainly because I've got such a backlog of tracks to apply all that logic to that it's turning into a bit of a part time job. I've had some mild success letting Mixed In Key set the cue points and then playing around with them after the fact, but if I'm being honest maybe that's part of the problem -- I'm letting a tool do the job for me and then apply very limited logic to adjusting, instead of learning the track well enough.

I didn't really throw it around in here but I divested a bunch of surplus hobbies and ended up moving to a pair of 3000s, since this is the one hobby I've actually taken an active interest in, so I'm pretty much state of the art with whatever Pioneer thinks will help a dummy like me not sound like shoes in a dryer. I'm still using them like 2000s for the most part, though, just recently started peeking at the phrase meters and cuepoint countdowns to better time my jumping in points outside of just listening to 4/4. I'd be absolutely lying if I said I did habitually, though. It'll probably be way more handy once I take some of your other advice to heart and actually plan where my memcues sit.

But I'm forever grateful for any and all advice. I mean I'm in it for the long haul and all you friends have helped me make sense of it enough to feel comfortable behind the decks. Any frustration here with "boo hoo i sound bad" is just normal progress in anything that one starts from scratch IMO so I'm not actually disheartened or anything, just know I have a long way to go :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 22, 2023

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Do not let mixed in key set your cue points. it’s unbelievably bad at that. It’s literally worse than no cues.

Idk what kind of dedication you have to djing but upgrading to 3000s seems like an extremely drastic step. Focus on your phrasing and trying not to look at the screen. Count to four eight times or count to 32, starting on the one. Do this over and over. Eventually you’ll be able to guess which beat you’re on in a 32 beat phrase just by subtle cues in the drums or w/e. After that it will be natural to maintain good phrasing.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 22, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

some kinda jackal posted:

I didn't really throw it around in here but I divested a bunch of surplus hobbies and ended up moving to a pair of 3000s

You lucky skunk. How did you even get them? I've still not seen a set in person even at Long & McQuade.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean for some reason it sets eight cue points which is really unnecessary, but generally one or two of them have always been where I would have put them anyway, so it's just been an exercise in removing the others.

But yeah, I mean I won't argue. I think my whole process has been flawed and I think I'm conceding that I'm going to be way more hands-on now. Going through the 5-600 tracks I built up feels like an incredible chore right now, so I'm going to chunk them rather than try to tackle too many a day and just start to give them bare minimum effort in cueing.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Yeah Don’t start with 600 tracks lol. Start with like 50 and add to your collection 10 or so at a time

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

You lucky skunk. How did you even get them? I've still not seen a set in person even at Long & McQuade.

Thanks yeah, I feel incredibly fortunate. L&M was the indirect financier by buying a ton of my old garbage, but I ended up forking over a small wad of cash to a guy on Kijiji. Was sure it was either a scam or stolen goods but I got a L&M receipt that I verified with the shop before I haded over cash so I dunno, I guess I got very lucky. I paid BNIB price minus tax, but they were basically BNIB with warranty. I didn't really ask too many questions once L&M verified it wasn't stolen goods.. but like.. why didn't the guy just return them? I dunno :confused:

I was actually only looking for a pair of NXS2s to get the "big waveform" display and a bit of a better menu system than the 2000s, but there were actually none on the market when I did the deed.

abuse culture. posted:

Yeah Don’t start with 600 tracks lol. Start with like 50 and add to your collection 10 or so at a time

Where were you with this advice 550 tracks ago :mad: :haw:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's how I bought my first pair of CDJ2000s probably twelve years ago; some sketchy guy on Kijiji. It was at the time the most cash I had ever held in my hands and just walking home the three blocks from the bank with it made me sick. He showed up at my apartment with his wife and I was thinking "OK good probably not trying to rob me" as soon as I saw the boxes in his trunk.

I asked him if he spun or anything and he said "Nah, I'm a landlord. I just bought like two dozen of these to flip." :negative:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ironically the one thing I didn't sell was my 2000s. I lent them to a friend who was interested in trying, so I guess they just keep going and going :)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

As someone currently going through the same struggle as some kind of jackal (though only after about a year of putzing around on a ddj400 and with more like 1,000 songs) i'll chime in and say i appreciate the advice of making smaller collections out of a library. my dumb rear end never thought of that

also

abuse culture. posted:

Eventually you’ll be able to guess which beat you’re on in a 32 beat phrase just by subtle cues in the drums or w/e. After that it will be natural to maintain good phrasing.

I think someone earlier in the thread described this as "DJ Sixth Sense" or whatever and once I noticed that I have this it was both incredibly cool and helpful with my mixing

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 22, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to delete a track in rekordbox and have it delete the file? I'm doing some iron fisted pruning of tracks that are clinically uninteresting after the first playthrough, but now I need to reconcile my media folder with rekordbox. I already have the original media on my NAS so I'm not terribly worried about losing something if I change my mind.

Best I can think right now is to do a library backup w/media through rb, delete everything, then restore from that backup since presumably it'll only back up what's ACTUALLY in my library.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So now that the A9 is hitting, I can only presume that the DJM900NXS2 will be hitting Facebook marketplace at rock bottom prices by people upgrading for no reason, right?

Right?

:shobon:

im not going to drop money on an A9 but I’m kind of weirded out by the gen1 djm 900 not being able to cue preview tracks from my 3000s. Seems like something they could have easily retrofitted into the firmware :| — I say that k owing nothing about the actual technical requirements of cue link preview functionality.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 28, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if I'm using the terminology right, but I'm starting to dislike the formulaic minute-and-a-half long quiet buildup parts in a ton of prog house tracks. I went to an event that had nightly daces with community DJs and I found that the energy just kind of left the dance floor when each track lulled into the slow steady buildup. It wasn't the "good opportunity to catch my breath" thing, they almost always felt like I wanted to keep bopping and dancing but the track just died for a minute and I have to kind of awkwardly shuffle waiting for the good part to come back.

I don't really know specifically what I'm complaining about, and I'm not trying to knock any of the DJs that played, I think they had good song selection overall but I just find in general that prog house extended mixes have buildups that linger way too long. So I dunno. Even in my own playlists I have tracks that I love the start of, and end of, but I really really wish that the middle was maybe 30-45 seconds shorter. The CDJ3Ks have a super handy beat skip button but it's hard to do seamlessly in buildups because of the.. well, buildup.. so I have to resign myself to letting it drone on a little longer or avoiding it altogether. Sometimes the "extended mix" is the problem, sometimes even the original mix has a dead zone so it's just luck of the draw I guess.

e: On my own progress, I've been doing a lot of library trimming. I fell into a trap where I had a lot of long droning tracks that sounded the same (lol direct opposite of problem above I guess, no breaks) with a "dark" vibe, unnecessarily moody. I definitely trimmed the fat a little (a lot) and I'm happier now. I stopped surfing zipdj for new tracks every day, trying to focus on what I have and finding cool creative combinations trying to craft a good setlist for an inagural session or stream. Narrowing in, but also cognizant that I don't want to perfect one setlist to the exclusion of practicing just mixing on the fly. Anyway, work in progress. Still excited and motivated, which I guess is as good a sign for a hobby of mine months in as any.

One specific track I'm trying to work around is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vEiv97lmo

Has that kind of "zoned out just having fun bopping" drone, energy, and feel that I'm trying to match with other songs but somehow only finding mixed success. I have a couple of ok pairings but nothing I'd consider a slam dunk. It's fairly new so no good hits on 1001tracklists. Finding a lead in and lead out for this that doesn't significantly change the mood will be my goal for the next little while. It really picks up at two minutes in, and has a natural bail point where I feel I really want to hit the parachute and mix out by about the four minute to keep that energy carrying through a somewhat short track, so finding a good lead-out is key for me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 8, 2023

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

One specific track I'm trying to work around is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vEiv97lmo

Has that kind of "zoned out just having fun bopping" drone, energy, and feel that I'm trying to match with other songs but somehow only finding mixed success. I have a couple of ok pairings but nothing I'd consider a slam dunk. It's fairly new so no good hits on 1001tracklists. Finding a lead in and lead out for this that doesn't significantly change the mood will be my goal for the next little while. It really picks up at two minutes in, and has a natural bail point where I feel I really want to hit the parachute and mix out by about the four minute to keep that energy carrying through a somewhat short track, so finding a good lead-out is key for me.

I had a play around with this with some stuff I'd picked up recently and I really enjoyed it going into Pale Blue - Dive (Rebolledo´s 'Distanced Disconnected Limited Edition' Mix), maybe not what you are looking for but I love the track so much.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Not gonna recommend a song because that’s up to personal taste but to mix out I would put a 16 beat loop around the 4:30 mark, cut low end slowly, bring in low end from new track slowly, bring high and mid in on track 2 to full by 32 bars before drop, cover up imperfections with delay or reverb or filter on track 1, after drop keep loop going and slowly fade out before hi hats come in on track 2

E: the same 16 beat loop in the middle of the build is also a decent place for a tempo change if you’re feeling spicy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for all that! Yeah it's definitely to personal taste though I always love hearing what people mix with what and how :)

I spent the better part of two hours behind the decks tonight just mixing on the fly. The 3Ks are really nice in that I can tap on the waveform for the playing deck and set a beat counter on the secondary deck, then everything I learned from you all about track progression makes it fairly easy to say something like "I bet the intro here will be 16 bars and it looks like I want to mix into that drop over there" so I can do all that without setting any cues at all in rekordbox. Which is good because I haven't, yet, for the majority of my tracks.

I had a great time even though I circled a LOT of tracks for disposal for the crime of being boring and bland. Some mixes were just awful and jarring but I didn't let them distract me from just pushing ahead, enjoying the music, and planning forward.

I tried to move up and down through tempo, starting in the low-120s and progressing up to high-ish energy high-130s progressively and somewhat in-key. Kind of floundered and had to play a duplicate or two since my stock of high energy stuff is lacking, but didn't really kill me. I got lost in the fun for a little while and almost missed the CDJs flashing end-of-song at me, but managed to recover every time.

Made some notes on the iPad on what sounded good and what didn't together, but the one scribble that stands out is me circling this track name with a big ole heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASfSFz_FNA

It's just so good, has my flying at the 5 minute mark. I just wanted it to go on for another half hour tbh.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 9, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Another weekend with four nights of multiple DJ dances. Tons of polish on each one, and the one thing that caught me unaware was even the DJs advertising prog/house/tech played a HUGE variety in their sets. There were so many good tracks I found myself shazaming that I probably wouldn’t have given the time of day outside of this context — “not my thing” which turned out to be very my thing when I felt how energized it was. Lots of mainstream club, top-40 4/4 remixes, even my mortal nemesis dubstep got a begrudging tag or two.

Not sure what my lesson takeaway is. I don’t really feel the need to diversify at this stage, still work on the go-to genres I love, but I did find the lack of a typical prog-house pattern really refreshing so.. I dunno. Maybe some drift between genres would be good to pick up.

Going to drop my CDJ-2000s at long-mcquade to see how they fare as a trade-in. No real gear I want/need to trade for, but I really need to recoup some expenses for upcoming trip and they somehow still seem to be going for like 1k+ on the used market.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The 2000s will go like hotcakes, I'm sure. Considering how many people have asked to borrow mine (:rolleyes: :jerkbag: y'all know the story) since the 3ks came out and L&M stopped renting the 2ks, you should have no problem getting a decent price for them.

Have any of you cats played around with Serato's new Stems AI system? Apparently people are raving about its ability to separate the instruments/elements of a song. No more special stems format needed like with Traktor, if they're to be believed.

Sometimes I struggle putting together mixes that don't have some clashing elements, and I daydream a bit about moving to some sort of stems format (also because four discrete decks is no longer really a technical challenge to me) to have significantly more control over track the mix than a three-band isolator EQ.

Then I usually remind myself that I'd much rather be doing an Ableton/hardware thing, with my own tracks. Since I'm already heavy daydreaming, I'd like a DJM-V10, a DJS-1000, an Akai Force, an Erica Synths Techno System and some sort of custom horror instrument like an Apprehension Engine connected to a BOSS RC-505. I've already got all the audio/MIDI routing planned out in my head; throw my Virus and KP3 into the mix and this would be an incredibly fun 'live PA' rig to create and alter tunes on the fly.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 22, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've played with the "AI" in djay and it's OK but I think using it on an actual sound system would exacerbate the wonk.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the techno system is awesome. ive done a lot of improv sets with mine now

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
From what I've witnessed, Stemverter is better than the Serato algorithm.

https://cfloinc.com/stemverter3/

I have heard some samples and it's really good.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

A MIRACLE posted:

the techno system is awesome. ive done a lot of improv sets with mine now

I'm honestly deathly afraid of getting into modular because I already have severe GAS with DJ/production gear. The Techno System seems like the perfect foray into semi-modular territory - it sates that yearning to plug n' play like a telephone patchbay, but it's self-contained enough that you don't really need to expand it. And honestly, while Techno itself is generally one of my least favourite styles of music, listening to some performances with the System gave me ideas for how it could be applied to a more Dub/D&B context.

Too bad I didn't discover that the thing existed until I recently ran out of money. If I had been on this kick when I had some spending dosh, I'd have one already, and might have even dropped the $10k on the base model Apprehension Engine - although I'm sure there are cheaper 'horror instruments' out there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah I make more trip hop / lo fi beats to study and relax to with mine usually. and for GAS the only thing I've added is more cables and a korg SQ-1. I think I have all the audio gear I will ever need and then some to run a party, up next I'm really looking at a visualizer in a box like the eyesy, something I can run through a mini projector no matter where I play

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I haven't looked too much into it, but I have seen that many comparisons conclude VirtualDJ's newest stem separation algorithm (2.0) is better than Serato's stems. For a while most of the stem separation algorithms were based on Deezer's open source Spleeter library. This is what is used in the VirtualDJ stems 1.0, iZotope RX's separation features (at least in RX 8/9 not sure about 10), djayPRO and some others. Should note that different spleeter implementations can have different results depending on how it was trained. The open source library has pre-trained models, but I think some companies have done their own training to make improvements. I'm not sure what Serato is based on, but it's not spleeter. It looks like Stemverter 3 is using Facebook's demucs library under the hood, which as of recent versions at least has been highly regarded. I'm not sure if VDJ Stems 2.0 is using something like demucs under the hood or if they've licensed/developed a proprietary algorithm, but regardless VDJ stems 2.0 is what I'd compare Stemverter to in addition to Serato. LALALA.ai is another separator that seemed to be better than the spleeter based approaches, but I'm not sure how it compares to the newest demucs based splitters.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's fascinating stuff, thanks. I didn't know there was a whole bustling industry around stem separation, but I guess I'm not surprised. Interesting to see the implementation of AI in DJing.

Just finished OPS vol. 28 and this one was really fun to put together. I mean they all are, but once again I set out to use some classic tracks in this one and it worked out well; it was very rewarding to find mixes that bridge them into newer stuff. A couple of my favourites are in this one.

(I really should build a MIDI mapping for the LaunchPad and Rekordbox, but then I'd be irritated by my cat sitting right there)

You know I like to build up from relatively chill tunes into the heavy poo poo over the course of a mix, but I often second-guess myself like "is this getting too silly?"

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Interesting to see the implementation of AI in DJing.

monkeys paw curls

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Speaking of stems, Rekordbox 6.7 just got released with Track Separation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can someone ELI5 this whole stem concept? I feel like I hear the term all the time regarding DJ software but I have no concept of what it's for. Or maybe I should stay willfully ignorant because I've got plenty of toys to play with and technique to develop without going down another rabbit hole.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Can someone ELI5 this whole stem concept? I feel like I hear the term all the time regarding DJ software but I have no concept of what it's for. Or maybe I should stay willfully ignorant because I've got plenty of toys to play with and technique to develop without going down another rabbit hole.

'Stems' is a term that comes from mix engineering; it's basically a fancy way to say 'grouped tracks, burned to a bus'. There's a lot of conjecture about how stems should be formatted and why, but generally - actually especially in a DJ context - it's safe to assume that people are talking about 'percussion', 'bass', 'melodies' and 'vocals'... I realize this is extremely reductive but discussing Stems is inherently confusing. One mix engineer's idea of a Stems mix is still too many tracks for another. But in a DJing context, it's generally safe to say you're using the format to separate Drums, Bass, Melodies and Vocals - things that..... tend to be separate elements to most songs.

So, the idea is that when you load up a song into a deck that supports Stems, instead of a stereo MP3 file, you're loading up four files that run simultaneously - Drums, Bass, Melodies and Vocals. The playback transport controls them the same as it would a complete song, but you're able to mute, solo or attenuate those individual track elements as you desire.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 23, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks Speaker, that makes perfect sense. Presumably this actually requires proper source material, although I’d expect there’ll be some kludgy AI or band-pass attempts to work with back catalogues if that’s the case.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Thanks Speaker, that makes perfect sense. Presumably this actually requires proper source material, although I’d expect there’ll be some kludgy AI or band-pass attempts to work with back catalogues if that’s the case.

The proper source material approach is how Traktor stems works (which has been out for many years now). It requires artists/labels to release tracks that have the stems available in separate audio streams. This never really caught on much (at least in many genres) as not enough music was released in this special format.

When you're hearing about stems these days in apps like Serato, Rekordbox, VirtualDJ etc, this is referring to an AI/ML based approach to isolate various parts of a stereo audio file. It sounds like that wouldn't result in stems that are that usable, but the latest versions of these algorithms are actually surprisingly good (though reports are the Rekordbox algorithm seems to be older and not on the same level as the newest Serato and VDJ options). It's definitely not perfect and does a better job with some tracks than others, but still it's usable for the most part (e.g. it doesn't necessarily matter if there's some bleed if you're using it for mixing, as it's still often going to be better than trying to isolate or remove parts with a traditional 3 or 4 band EQ setup).

Even Traktor is working on adding their own stem splitting algorithm implementation rather than sticking with their old approach that worked with actual stems.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m watching a review of the new DDJ-FLX10 which has stem support and it’s pretty… awesome? Pulling the drums for ad-hoc breakdowns, etc. The reviewer said it’s analyzed on the fly which I was suspicious of until I remembered that it’s a controller so rekordbox can do all in software on the host.

Being able to kill drums/vocal/inst is neat, as is being able to apply FX to just specific stems. I can definitely see the use but it’s some next level poo poo I don’t really need to lust over just yet.

FLX10 looks neat but I got kind of sour when they started talking about the ability to change the display on your jog wheels to something custom because I’ve wanted that on the 3000s since the day I picked them up and Pioneer reps are all “lol no thx” on their support forums. My dudes it’s an LCD, just throw me a bone.

Anyway, thanks for the cool info on stems, gang. I appreciate the insight!

E: FLX10 acts as a DMX interface now which is neat. I snagged a cheap unloved RB-DMX1 on eBay when I first got the 2000s so I could try to sync some RBG LED tape to the music but rekordbox lighting mode just feels abandoned. Hope this means they’re going to try to do more with DMX maybe?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Actually, since we're talking about it, are there any free standalone stem separators? I can't make heads or tails of stuff on GitHub, and Stemverter requires payment.

I know I talk about this too much but I need to get away from the decks and actually start writing music again. Well historically, I've started my best creative streaks by making remixes or covers of existing tunes. There are a few songs on my mind I'd like to try remixing, and if these stem separators are all they're cracked up to be, it opens up a world of possibility.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I member this one from when I got back into trance for a hot min, excellent find. I'll edit later and post some tracks I was also playing around it too if your still looking 4 compatible stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm always always always interested in hearing recommendations, solicited or unsolicited. Even if they don't end up suiting my style subjectively, it's so much fun to see what people flow into what.

Not to mention that it's so hard for me to nail down exactly what it is about the vibe of that track that I love, and what it is that's missing from a lot of other tracks that feel empty and bland by comparison, that I'm super happy to have a larger field to investigate -- even if it's only to hit it up on beatport and see what the algorithm throws into "recommended tracks" to accompany.

But seriously, if there's a way to articulate and narrow down what that tune has, and the one I posted before in the thread by Pig&Dan, I'm all ears. I think it's something that I can easily HEAR, but I can't ascribe a word to. So when someone asks me what I like in a track I'm like.. uh.. THAT..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 24, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I liked that tune (and a lot of Thomas Datt stuff) as its energy feels constantly driving, maybe rising and stripping away but never too epic or too low. The best songs seem to do everything exactly when you want them to and even tho it's a fairly formulaic trance structure I feel all the elements change exactly when they should. Here's a few other trance tracks I thought were decent around that time (they may not be in the key or BPM to mix exactly with Full Moon but would be perfect in the same set, stuff that had [to me] a different vibe than the regular disposable tunes being released weekly...

Paul Trainer - Parallax - Very similar in style, more trancey in the lead melody and less acidy

Peter Hulsmans - Edge Of Sanity (John Dropping Reflection) nice arpeggiation explosion after the breakdown almost 80s sounding, I really dig the subtle film vocal samples, played the heck out of this tune.

Angry Man - Mescaline (Future Disciple Remix) Slower, good intro, another Perfecto track, desert trance for the modern era

Tangle & Mateusz - Somebody Told Me (Solis & Sean Truby's Warehouse Remix) Mid tempo, loved the mix of simple vocal sample and piano

Johnny Yono - Orion Another mid tempo on Lange Recordings. Johnny Yono had a string of a few tracks that all worked well.

B Exp - Overmind (Thomas Datt Remix) Obv similar to Full Moon but less acid sound, don't sleep on the Magnus mixes too they're just as good, speaking of...

Magnus - Marine Groove Probably the top trance tune of the 2010s, faster sorta psy-trance kick sound, just flows and flows, lovely (honestly check out everything in this time period by this artist)

Renato Dinis - Beyond Control (Brett Nieman Remix) A nice secret weapon w/ a near constant kick drum sans the quick breakdown(s), for some reason this track excelled as a transition to breaks or faster trance tracks.

Gau Barone - Kajal Slower/progressive, a great atmosphere with a lead synth like a searchlight cutting through the night.

Cold Blue - Coconut Feels faster than it is, but like a lot of these tracks has a sense of restraint, cool bass guitar(?) sound.

Simon Patterson - Brush Strokes Bang it out with this last one, fast, tasteful psy influences, a typical uplifting tune but for some reason I still liked it.

This was a good era in a lot of dance styles (early 2010s) ; house was getting deeper, groovier and slower, DnB had some great mainstream breakouts, lots of EDM top 40 tunes that were fun to mix, and even some trance tunes I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Literally made my Friday, thanks again! Going to pore through these and related all weekend :swoon:

Definitely a lot of keepers here, I think you nailed my want on the head.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 28, 2023