Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I will post signups for a game tomorrow. This is a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is the strangest resurgence I've ever seen

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Opopanax posted:

lol no kidding.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well thanks to some small tweaks from Voodoofly, my 15 person Mistborn themed game will be ready to run whenever people want a new game.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Taste asked me to run another NYC game. How much interest would there be in a CYOR with possible post restrictions?

Pre-sign of course

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

gently caress it, the hyperfixation set in, we're rolling.

The Last Nights of Camelot, a newbie/returning-player friendly setup for 16 players.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Opopanax posted:

Indirect SAD success story: mafia renaissance

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mordiceius posted:

Well thanks to some small tweaks from Voodoofly, my 15 person Mistborn themed game will be ready to run whenever people want a new game.

Yes please sign me up I want to stab people with fancy glass daggerd

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
if i had the time i would join in the mafia renaissance but alas i do not so i will watch from afar

i am glad mafia is not dead

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

wins32767 posted:

Taste asked me to run another NYC game. How much interest would there be in a CYOR with possible post restrictions?

Wins!!!!!

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I've lurked in SA Mafia threads for decades at this point, super excited to do some playing in the camelot game!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Paranoid Dude posted:

I've lurked in SA Mafia threads for decades at this point, super excited to do some playing in the camelot game!

This is awesome, welcome!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi folks. I have never really paid any attention to the Mafia community on TG, and when I became a moderator I knew Podima basically covered all of TGR and just left it all to him.

That was a mistake.

I'd like to help this community in any way I can. One thing that I think we might like to talk about is explicit safety rules in Mafia games, whether they're run in TGR or just recruited here and run offsite. I understand that the format requires players to not discuss the game outside of the strict structures of the game itself, to avoid leaking secrets that give away the central idea of Mafia. However, maybe it would be good to state clearly for everyone involved that inappropriate interactions can and should be exposed, either to the gamerunner or if that is not satisfactory, to mods? Any mod or any admin, anyone a player is comfortable with.

If that's not a good idea or seems unnecessary, OK, help me understand and let's figure something else out.

If you'd rather not clutter up this thread with this discussion, we can also talk in the general TG feedback thread that is running now.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Leperflesh posted:

Hi folks. I have never really paid any attention to the Mafia community on TG, and when I became a moderator I knew Podima basically covered all of TGR and just left it all to him.

That was a mistake.

I'd like to help this community in any way I can. One thing that I think we might like to talk about is explicit safety rules in Mafia games, whether they're run in TGR or just recruited here and run offsite. I understand that the format requires players to not discuss the game outside of the strict structures of the game itself, to avoid leaking secrets that give away the central idea of Mafia. However, maybe it would be good to state clearly for everyone involved that inappropriate interactions can and should be exposed, either to the gamerunner or if that is not satisfactory, to mods? Any mod or any admin, anyone a player is comfortable with.

If that's not a good idea or seems unnecessary, OK, help me understand and let's figure something else out.

If you'd rather not clutter up this thread with this discussion, we can also talk in the general TG feedback thread that is running now.

Hey Leperflesh, first and foremost, none of our poo poo here is roleplaying. Many of our community roleplay but there is very little actual overlap with Mafia and RP these days. I know a lot of the drama that just unfolded was all mafia-adjacent and we've had a lot of community wide conversations about the bad poo poo that has happened in the history of SA Mafia.

However, the current community of mafia players are all pretty sensible people. We do not run offsite Mafia games (we do use discords for organizing and information dispersal). The biggest in-community issue we have these days is rudeness. I am more than happy to come up with a disclaimer to be put in all Mafia OPs to address the need for comfort, communication, and anything else to cut back on any possible abuses.

e; We are not a monolith, would love other members of the community to chime in here

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That was a mistake.

There should probably be general rules and guidelines for all of TG that also apply to Mafia games, but the weird abuse stuff was only Mafia related in that some of the people involved were also part of or formerly part of the Mafia community. Mafia is a lot closer to a board game than crazy sex dungeon role playing and probably doesn't need specific rules that don't apply everywhere else too.

Having explicit rules and ways to escalate would be good though!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We're generally pretty good about self policing, and if anything too much moderation can be an issue in games (not as much now but I remember when people used to get probed for empty quotes and such). It's nice to have someone we can contact if need be but we're insular enough that we have a handle on things

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Sandwolf posted:

Hey Leperflesh, first and foremost, none of our poo poo here is roleplaying. Many of our community roleplay but there is very little actual overlap with Mafia and RP these days. I know a lot of the drama that just unfolded was all mafia-adjacent and we've had a lot of community wide conversations about the bad poo poo that has happened in the history of SA Mafia.

However, the current community of mafia players are all pretty sensible people. We do not run offsite Mafia games (we do use discords for organizing and information dispersal). The biggest in-community issue we have these days is rudeness. I am more than happy to come up with a disclaimer to be put in all Mafia OPs to address the need for comfort, communication, and anything else to cut back on any possible abuses.

e; We are not a monolith, would love other members of the community to chime in here

Yeah , I have never heard of there being any of the kinds of issues that were popping up in the RRG community being present in mafia.

I agree with this post overall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My impression has been that the Mafia community is great and trouble-free and part of that is that I have literally never seen a report on a Mafia game, not even once.

I always thought there was some degree of RP though, maybe I need to like, lurk a Mafia game or two to get a better feel for what it is. Basically a party game where someone or someone's is secretly the werewolf, maybe someone's got a silver bullet, you have to avoid killing the innocents or the werewolves win, kinda thing right? But then you have to try and guess who is lying based on what they post, and they have to post things, and.... there's gotta be a detail or two I don't get or it'd just be a random guessing game. Anyway yeah I see y'all are recruiting for some new games perhaps I'll just watch one and see how it goes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sandwolf posted:

The biggest in-community issue we have these days is rudeness.

Yes, there’s not enough of it!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I basically agree. The problem community was a splinter of mafia and involved many mafia players, but mafia games as they're run here really aren't risky or problematic in that way. You might get your feelings hurt because someone said you're stupid in a game, but that's more or less the worst that can really happen in these games.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Leperflesh posted:

My impression has been that the Mafia community is great and trouble-free and part of that is that I have literally never seen a report on a Mafia game, not even once.

I always thought there was some degree of RP though, maybe I need to like, lurk a Mafia game or two to get a better feel for what it is. Basically a party game where someone or someone's is secretly the werewolf, maybe someone's got a silver bullet, you have to avoid killing the innocents or the werewolves win, kinda thing right? But then you have to try and guess who is lying based on what they post, and they have to post things, and.... there's gotta be a detail or two I don't get or it'd just be a random guessing game. Anyway yeah I see y'all are recruiting for some new games perhaps I'll just watch one and see how it goes.

it's amongus play by post

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Opopanax posted:

We're generally pretty good about self policing, and if anything too much moderation can be an issue in games (not as much now but I remember when people used to get probed for empty quotes and such). It's nice to have someone we can contact if need be but we're insular enough that we have a handle on things

I mostly agree although phrasing it this way after the other stuff isn't the best!

There's not a ton of drama in Mafia games that would need a forums mod to step in but making it explicit that if you feel uncomfortable with something you can escalate to forums mods would be good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

I loving hate how accurate that is.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Leperflesh posted:

:emptyquote:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I have no clue about any of the poo poo that's been going on with Podima or anyone else, except for a cursory read of the goldmine thread, but if it helps at all let me just add as a relatively new player that when I've had a negative experience in mafia, it has been met with nothing but overwhelming compassion from other players and mods. (Said experiences were caused by my own insecurities and have nothing to do with anything anyone else did, I want to make that clear.) Hell, if anything, the response from this community when I've been dealing with poo poo has helped me deal with that poo poo. Mafia can be tough on the human just because of the inherent nature of a game centered around dishonesty and lying to people, but I think people understand that here.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

There can be some incredibly minor roleplaying in thread based on the flavor of your role, but it's almost exclusively optional and since you aren't talking to people outside of the thread it's all in public.

There can be discord channels for people who are allowed to communicate outside of the thread (like the Mafia team), but they are also open to observers who aren't a part of the game. Afaik there is no communication in Mafia that isn't public to anyone outside of the game who wants to watch (someone who plays more often can correct me if I'm wrong)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Leperflesh posted:

But then you have to try and guess who is lying based on what they post, and they have to post things, and.... there's gotta be a detail or two I don't get or it'd just be a random guessing game

You basically got it in one lol

Sometimes you can get outside information from a role, sometimes you can see someone posting a little differently than normal, but most of the time its just convincing yourself you saw something that's a clue (but you probably didn't ((but you might be right anyway, Right For the Wrong Reasons reigns supreme)))

Pinterest Mom posted:

You might get your feelings hurt because someone said you're stupid in a game, but that's more or less the worst that can really happen in these games.

Can confirm

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jose Valasquez posted:

There can be discord channels for people who are allowed to communicate outside of the thread (like the Mafia team), but they are also open to observers who aren't a part of the game. Afaik there is no communication in Mafia that isn't public to anyone outside of the game who wants to watch (someone who plays more often can correct me if I'm wrong)

Yeah you can go join any of the discords linked in the opening posts of recent mafia threads and basically get a full view of everything that happened, every private or public communication.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Taste PMed me to play mafia again so I will try my best

To lose.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

Taste PMed me to play mafia again so I will try my best

To lose.

You can report this kind of abuse to a mod

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jose Valasquez posted:

I mostly agree although phrasing it this way after the other stuff isn't the best!

There's not a ton of drama in Mafia games that would need a forums mod to step in but making it explicit that if you feel uncomfortable with something you can escalate to forums mods would be good.

Yeah I agree with this, the odds that something would actually need to go Up The Chain because of a mafia game are pretty low, but given, well, everything else, it's probably good to explicitly call that out and make sure people know that that is an option. But between post game in the thread in question, this thread, and the SA Mafia Legacy discord, we have usually been good about hashing out what we need to and moving on. Probably also true in the Nu Mafia Discord as well.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Leperflesh posted:

There is a fair amount of lying and obfuscating who you are but as far as games being run on the forums (which almost all games are these days), roleplaying is not a factor and in some cases heavily discouraged as gimmickposting/roleplaying can be seen as obfuscating your role. What little 'roleplaying' there is is mostly just playing along with any assigned game flavor in special circumstances.

Sandwolf posted:

Basically it's this.

Definitely encourage you to watch my currently recruiting game if you're interested in how these are run.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I agree with what others have said here. There’s not really much that happens in the threads themselves. Sometimes mafia goons run other pbp games (survivor type games, other mechanics heavy board game stuff and most infamously some role playing games) but these are out of scope of the regular mafia stuff.

Also:

Scientastic posted:

Yes, there’s not enough of it!

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 22, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I've sometimes wondered if "Safety Guidelines for Mods" would be a thing that is needed, but I'm gonna agree with HCT, both as a player and as a mod - game can be stressful, but the very few times I've seen a player really have a bad time within a game (and that player has also been me sometimes), it's always been handled in a respectful way by mods. I've not been here long, bit over a year, but that's my impression.

It also help that games run for around 15 days, maybe up to a month for the longest, and that replacing out or being modkilled is always an option, so you don't need to trudge along if you don't feel like you can.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Opopanax posted:

Also yeah I was going to comment on this yesterday but forgot, but page start dates

Page 1: 3/17/22
Page 2: 3/17/22
Page 3: 3/18/22
Page 4: 3/18/22 (new thread bump dies)
Page 5: 4/26/22
Page 6: 5/23/22
Page 7: 7/14/22
Page 8: 9/7/22
Page 9: 10/8/22
Page 10: 12/1/22
Page 11: 12/18/22
Page 12: 12/30/22 (here is where the secret santa bump dies out)
Page 13: 2/27/23
Page 14: 3/20/23
Page 15: 3/20/23
Page 16: 3/21/23

And no sign of slowing down!!!!!

Oh also we missed the threads birthday, happy belated birthday thread

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jump King posted:

I agree with what others have said here. There’s not really much that happens in the threads themselves. Sometimes mafia goons run other pbp games (survivor type games, other mechanics heavy board game stuff and most infamously some role playing games) but these are out of scope of the regular mafia stuff.

Also:

Ninja caught you, modkill imo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
roleplaying in mafia is when you read a bad post and want to roll away from your computer

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Honestly it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a list of people that we nominate as resources for someone to talk to about any problems, potential problems, abuse, need for support, etc. and to have those people listed in the OP of every game so that you would (hopefully) be able to contact one or more of them that are not directly involved in the game itself and not worry about talking about a game out of game etc

I honestly believe that everyone currently in the community who is modding games would be completely willing and able to act as such a listening post for any player in the game, but also want to recognize that at least the option to talk to someone not connected to the game but who has experience with mafia and player base as a whole would definitely help create an additional support structure should anyone need it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

In terms of mafia-adjacent things that have the potential to be problematic, a lot of people in this community also occasionally play Forums Survivor or other similar games. Those are recruited off the forums and kinda "anchored" here, but do largely take place offsite.

In the past, they'd be very decentralised and essentially impossible to really "moderate" because players would be communicating with each other by AIM or Skype or SMS or Google sheets, but we've been moving to hosting them mostly on discord and having nearly all communications monitorable by the people running those games.

These tend to run for a few months and are shockingly immersive to play in, and when you have a social manipulation game that may involve lying to someone for weeks, that's got potential to make tempers run pretty high. I'm not aware of any major blowups in these games, but I can imagine it happening.

The people who tend to run these, JOHN CENA and now Chili, are also mafia players, and I know they'd be pretty amenable to checking in with mods when they run those games once or twice a year, and to make it clear to players in those games that the mods on SA are a resource that they can tap in case of conflict. That last part hasn't been really needed that I'm aware, but it also hasn't really been made clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is heartening to read such positive stuff

if there's a DARK SECRET then someone PM me and I'll keep your identity private

something that has come up from reading SAD threads and before that QCS threads is that SA is a very big place, we have like 70 subforums, and small out of the way corners occasionally need a flashlight shone in them, hopefully all is well here and it sure looks like it but I have resolved to be a little more proactive and I hope nobody feels insulted!