Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Have infantry weapons progressed to where a bunch of soldiers without javelins can take on an older tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Freezer posted:

About that... I'm no expert but you probably don't want to face Leopards and Challengers in tanks manufactured 5 decades ago.

i'd much rather face a leopard in a 5 decade old tank than any modern one if that 5 decade old tank came with numerical superiority and complete artillery dominance backing it up

also leopards and challengers are 5 decades old dude

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
FF, if you were directly above a T-55 could you take one out by firing 40mm HEDP into it's roof?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The more motivated Ukrainians want the western training, and to take it abroad for a fat paycheck. They'll need to learn to cope with the bigotry if they haven't already.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I believe my very good close personal friend Nick Mullen has already weighed in on the issue.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I believe my very good close personal friend Nick Mullen has already weighed in on the issue.

nooooo, gently caress nooo dude

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Slavvy posted:

It's also worth pointing out that if the Ukrainians have next to no actual tanks or any air power to speak of, they are relying mostly on missiles with HEAT warheads. As has been exhaustively explained over and over again, strapping modern era blocks to an old tank makes it just as resistant to those warheads as a brand new one. And if you're on the receiving end of the gun and MG's, a t55 is pretty much the same as a t90. Most of the advances in tanks outside of era revolve around defeating other tanks.

that depends on the heat warhead and the reactive armor block being used

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw what is the calculation on the assumed causality rate of 30,000 rounds on light fortifications assuming normal weather and wind conditions?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do you think if the Macho Man Randy Savage did a flying elbow from the top turnbuckle to the average AFU conscript it would put them down for the count?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The more motivated Ukrainians want the western training, and to take it abroad for a fat paycheck. They'll need to learn to cope with the bigotry if they haven't already.

If I were a Ukrainian recruit I would take any foreign training that kept me out of the country for any amount of time in the hopes that its over before its my turn at the meatgrinder

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Have infantry weapons progressed to where a bunch of soldiers without javelins can take on an older tank?

There are more lightweight weapon tan javelins which can defeat a T-55 or something like that but if you do not have dedicated AT weapons, it gets real hard real fast.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Nix Panicus posted:

I mean there are a lot of non javelin or javelin-like anti tank weapons, like your good ol' reliable buddy the RPG7 or even the humble 40mm grenade (which can still technically go through like 2 to 3 inches of steel). And back in WW2, hand held AT grenades were a thing too. Or mines.

I mean none of these sound like particularly good option compared to anything like some kind of heat seeking or guided missile that can be fired from much further away but eh

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

i was hoping for down syndrome voice

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Mar 22, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
apparently peg leg survived the war, and is now exposing people as being war tourists lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i was hoping for down syndrome voice

Hey, I thought we weren’t suppose to call podcasters slurs.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Freezer posted:

About that... I'm no expert but you probably don't want to face Leopards and Challengers in tanks manufactured 5 decades ago.

I'm watching a lot of Ukraine-Russia content and I can confidently say now that every man in Ukraine is Vladimir Zelensky

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

apparently peg leg survived the war, and is now exposing people as being war tourists lol

He still hasn't tweeted since december

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

FF, if you were directly above a T-55 could you take one out by firing 40mm HEDP into it's roof?

Well, the standard 40mm HEDP, M433, is rated at penetrating 63mm RHA. The top armour on T-55 is, on average, 30mm thick. It's more complicated because of the angles involved and also how the thickness of cast armour is distributed around a curved surface. However, the behind armour effects of a shaped charge are complicated.

As Dr. Mullen explains

e: I would feed transcripts from https://searchtafs.net into ChatGPT and then use that to present information appropriately but I am not tech savvy, so you'll have to make due with a Nick who went to Johns Hopkins, Annapolis or University of Maryland.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Mar 22, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
you can pop the top of a btr with 40mm hedp... in arma

but the t55 armor model in most of the mods is all hosed up so those things just eat like 20 javelins. probably why russia pulled them out actually

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

you can pop the top of a btr with 40mm hedp... in arma

but the t55 armor model in most of the mods is all hosed up so those things just eat like 20 javelins. probably why russia pulled them out actually

The radius of the jet when it penetrated the armour would actually be pretty small relative the volume of the turret and density of either personnel or ammunition, so the probability of catastrophic damage is not likely to be great. However, as the Russian have formulae that even account for "minimum required hospitalization and treatment time for the personnel", I'm sure you could crunch the numbers.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I'd take a guess that they probably have access to Javelins so they can perform destructive testing on armour models to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Also for FF - I am well aware of naval aviation aircraft, and I'm gonna leave it at that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the main thing is that having AT weapons that can notionally defeat Russian armour is irrelevant when you're being shelled for days without ever seeing one, or they fire off from their maximum standoff distance, since with HE there's no reason for them not to.

Ardennes posted:

Btw what is the calculation on the assumed causality rate of 30,000 rounds on light fortifications assuming normal weather and wind conditions?

This is really the only thing that matters.

You should get the book on libgen, the madman even calculates the effect of HE based on soil type.

"At the explosion of charges on a surface of various materials, a part of the energy of the explosion is used for the destruction of an underlying surface and the formation of a crater. The fraction of this energy can reach 50% of the total energy of the explosion. If it is necessary to take energy losses into account, formulas are used to determine the parameters of SW in the air, substituting instead of mass m the equivalent charge mass of 2η0m, where 0.5 ≤ η0 ≤ 1 is a pliability factor. The recommended values of this coefficient are presented in Table 3.6.
With the height of the explosion increase, energy losses for crater formation decrease, and at some height, it can be assumed that all the energy of the explosion is used for the formation of SW."

I've said it before but I really respect the Russian decision to have a small group of brilliant scientists and engineers study these problems, then turn that into simple procedures for huge amounts of reserve officers to follow. They separated understanding and doing, I suppose. I could not have worked out any of this, or even really thought about it. I like to think I'm reasonably smart too but goddamn.

It's just a very different approach. I suppose that might have extended into other areas of Soviet and Russian life.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Tw for tankies: signs of tank distress under Wagner assault https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teGUENDphUM

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Did someone say loam?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
geology loves its loving triangle graphs

"ternary plots"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

love the transition from loamy sand to sandy loam to loam

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The title?

Admittedly, the Soviet Union had plenty of intellectual talent, it was usually the trying to bridge a technological gap when the other side has pretty much every advantage.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The title?

Admittedly, the Soviet Union had plenty of intellectual talent, it was usually the trying to bridge a technological gap when the other side has pretty much every advantage.

there are a lot of ex-Warsaw Pact engineers hanging around your local electronics and aviation firms, and the Soviets were pretty good about training anyone who was good. My favourite professor of all time was a gay senior Russian mathematician who did numerical solutions to PDEs

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

a perfectly spherical Leopard 2

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
like it or not that's what the idealized tank looks like

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Линия сборки БМП-3 на предприятии ПАО «Курганский машиностроительный завод»

На заднем фоне можно увидеть одиночную боевую машину пехоты Б-11 на платформе «Курганец-25» (фото 1) .

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/98336, via tgsa)

tankies building bmp-3s and one kurganets-25 at Kurgan Machine-Building Plant

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Imagining a tank firing its round, and a Russian soldier casually slaps it aside with his shovel

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

like it or not that's what the idealized tank looks like

the surface area to volume is actually optimized. It simply cannot get better than this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anyone heard of this?

The Secret War Against Sweden: US and British Submarine Deception in the 1980s

Following the stranding of a Soviet Whiskey-class submarine in 1981 on the Swedish archipelago, a series of massive submarine intrusions took place within Swedish waters.

However, the evidence for these appears to have been manipulated or simply invented. Classified documents and interviews point to covert Western, rather than Soviet activity. This is backed up by former US Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, who stated that Western "testing" operations were carried out regularly in Swedish waters. Royal Navy submarine captains have also admitted to top-secret operations.

Ola Tunander's revelations make it clear that the United States and Britain ran a "secret war" in Swedish waters. The number of Swedes perceiving the Soviet Union as a direct threat increased from 5-10 per cent in 1980 to 45 per cent in 1983. This Anglo-American "secret war" was aimed at exerting political influence over Sweden. It was a risky enterprise, but perhaps the most successful covert operation of the entire Cold War.

e: Book is on libgen

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Nix Panicus posted:

this is so long ago but I’m fairly certain there was a tweet where one of the early mercenaries jumped out of the bushes and tried to shoot a tank. I seem to recall it didn’t work but I haven’t kept up on advances since

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I think it was around the same time big Z was telling citizens you can knock over a tank like cow tipping

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vomik posted:

I think it was around the same time big Z was telling citizens you can knock over a tank like cow tipping

I think, cynically, the point was that the civilian population was the real weapon being used there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anything that can be carried by one guy will have an extremely limited range compared to the gun on a tank. Laws and javelins are last resort weapons mainly serving to make the dudes carrying them feel safe. Point blank ambushes on tanks work great in games, irl they are rarely so obliging.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I think, cynically, the point was that the civilian population was the real weapon being used there.

yeah I know. it’s actually quite sad I probably shouldn’t mock it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Anything that can be carried by one guy will have an extremely limited range compared to the gun on a tank. Laws and javelins are last resort weapons mainly serving to make the dudes carrying them feel safe. Point blank ambushes on tanks work great in games, irl they are rarely so obliging.

That, and the solution to the problem is what Ukraine's already unable to deal with: suppression by artillery fire.