Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

Portals appear on the map at the same place each time, so be ready to close them with the right heroes positioned near them if you don't want to go through. Slaanesh gives the best rewards so do that one first, if you can, as it gets you the best item in the game or a massive gold reward. If you take the soul, you don't get the item or the money. So you may want to do it twice.

For most of the realms, you may end up with huge debuffs on your main army, which means they are going to be stuck inside a settlement for a while. You can save scum to avoid this or deal with it, but it makes things much harder.
Some of this is outdated information, or not complete. You can also build the watchtower/anti-Skaven building in the province to prevent a portal from opening if you don't want to hold heroes in waiting. Which, yes, utterly neuters the entire concept of chaos portals opening everywhere.

Also, you now lose the debuff once you are kicked out of the realm, so its essentially meaningless now except for a few turns in the realm itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Looking at the stats though, neither has the armour or shields that blundys do, though they do edge them in MA/MD and obviously outrange them. When I said tough I meant in terms of survivability, christ they're gonna be a hard nut to crack. Are they tier 2 or 3?

Comparing them to Iron Hails, their missile strength is 49 versus 14x3, though I doubt all three projectiles would hit every time. Good lord.

Tier 2.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Next gameplay vid, loving those chants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5mVXFQvUNE

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dramicus posted:

Sure, they might beat blunderbusses 1v1 but when you put Chorf units in the context of a combined arms army, they become super nasty. Remember that Chorfs get anti-large monstrous cav, in addition to probably the best artillery in the game and spell casting. All of those elements together will make a top-tier Chorf army an absolute nightmare.

so does cylostra, but shes just good not op

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Some of this is outdated information, or not complete. You can also build the watchtower/anti-Skaven building in the province to prevent a portal from opening if you don't want to hold heroes in waiting. Which, yes, utterly neuters the entire concept of chaos portals opening everywhere.

Also, you now lose the debuff once you are kicked out of the realm, so its essentially meaningless now except for a few turns in the realm itself.

Thank you on the correction because I haven't played it in forever or read notes because it wasn't fun to me and IE is so much better imo

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

That was very good :allears:

Also, I wonder if 'Lizards in the corner' is a hint that they're now the main threat there, and Ku'Gath has been moved.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Tirranek posted:

That was very good :allears:

Also, I wonder if 'Lizards in the corner' is a hint that they're now the main threat there, and Ku'Gath has been moved.

They're playing on the RoC map, so Ku'Gath doesn't start there.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I was rooting for the skink at the beginning!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Shivers posted:

Ahhh yeah, that makes sense :doh:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Stacking those armanent bonuses is going to make the Chaos Dwarf units so powerful in the lategame, hell yeah

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chaos Dwarfs look so sick

gently caress, i might have to get them at launch

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That video revealed that the Chorfs have regular WoC Hellcannons on their roster, which makes sense.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I love the evil trains so much

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Did I understand it right that when you upgrade units, it also increases their per-turn armament/materials upkeep? If that's so then it looks like Chorfs are extremely vulnerable to their economy shrinking.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Shivers posted:

Imrik is though, which iirc is new. Previously I don't think it had any high elf presence at all

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I didn't see a dreadquake mortar in his army, so it's neat you can add the bombardment with a settlement building

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Every new chorf thing that comes out makes me desire immediate chorf release

the k'daai destroyer owns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dorf:chorf::grudgin':spitin'

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Grumio posted:

I didn't see a dreadquake mortar in his army, so it's neat you can add the bombardment with a settlement building

Yeah it makes sense as a way to do it but the results were a bit disappointing. From the descriptions it's supposed to be this earth shattering explosion that leaves anyone who manages to survive utterly shellshocked and brutalized. Just looked basically like a standard unit type artillery barrage mixed with the Dark Elf black ark barrage but more spread out. Was hoping it'd at least set fire to the ground underneath stuff so it'd be incinerating anything that'd survive.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I saw a sidebar cast which looked like summon hobgoblin

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
that choo choo looks like an unstoppable chariot

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it makes sense as a way to do it but the results were a bit disappointing. From the descriptions it's supposed to be this earth shattering explosion that leaves anyone who manages to survive utterly shellshocked and brutalized. Just looked basically like a standard unit type artillery barrage mixed with the Dark Elf black ark barrage but more spread out. Was hoping it'd at least set fire to the ground underneath stuff so it'd be incinerating anything that'd survive.

It did look like it left a lingering effect at least. Huge damage plus debuff seems good.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

thebardyspoon posted:

And we know it had a unit card so you can get battlefield versions as well

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Omnicarus posted:

Did I understand it right that when you upgrade units, it also increases their per-turn armament/materials upkeep? If that's so then it looks like Chorfs are extremely vulnerable to their economy shrinking.

It's very on-brand.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My Mannfred campaign ended in disaster (mainly thanks to surprise goatmen), so Thorgrim rides again, this time in Mortal Empires.

It feels weird to not go after Grimgor right off the bat and head off in this direction, but the best solution to skaven corruption getting annoying is to kill all the skaven responsible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Chorfs looking better and better with each video. :allears:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Playing as Count Noctlius makes me feel like an old man.

I spend so much time getting my gun lines in order and moving troops around that I have to play the game on slow motion or pause to keep up with the computer.

On top of that I’m constantly forgetting to use his really good character abilities or spells because there’s so much other stuff going on.

They’re really fun when they work out but man is it giving me a rough time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I picked this game back up after buying it at release. Started a fresh campaign as the ogres because I love the greedy obese slob theme which makes me feel right at home.

Went into the first chaos realm, Khorne's realm, and had a clear lead over the other factions. Then, for reasons I don't understand really, the AI armies that are there to provide score to win the realm all moved away from me, in one case, they moved from directly in front of me and attacked a stack behind me, fed another army, giving them the lead which they promptly used to win the realm and close it.

I feel uhhh... cheated. Is that unusual?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I know this doesn’t answer your question but as a doctor I can’t recommend anybody play the Realms of Chaos campaign

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

house of the dad posted:

I know this doesn’t answer your question but as a doctor I can’t recommend anybody play the Realms of Chaos campaign

Is it that annoying? Mortal Empires is just the way to go?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ice Fist posted:

Go try the Tzeentch portal and you’ll understand

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thebardyspoon posted:

It did leave an effect on the ground.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There are two major opinion groups in regards to the portal campaign:
1. This is fine, even kind of enjoyable. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but whatever.
2. I hate the portals so much I am going to quit the game over them, they are the worst thing to ever happen to the total war franchise and to me

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There are two major opinion groups in regards to the portal campaign:
1. This is fine, even kind of enjoyable. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but whatever.
2. I hate the portals so much I am going to quit the game over them, they are the worst thing to ever happen to the total war franchise and to me

ya hit the nail on the head here ngl

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wonder what happens if you don't have enough armaments to keep up your forces.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

I enjoyed the Vortex campaign in 2 quite a bit when I was starting out but the Realms mechanic is so half-baked and frustrating that I don't see any reason to play it when the big map is available to everyone. You still get plenty of direction from the IM victory conditions and it's not as overwhelming as it might seem having all the factions on the board. The only thing you get from the Realms campaign that's unique is having to judge if you can be off the map for 8 turns and not get run over while you clear a portal. Hopefully Chorfs and future DLCs have more interesting things to accomplish on the small map but you're still better off just playing Immortal Empires, in my opinion.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am pretty "meh" on the portal campaign. I think it's worth playing a few times just to see it, but stick to Immortal Empires overall. Some of the cool things include:
1. Getting insanely powerful demonic ancillary items. There's a Slaanesh one that increases lord XP gain by like 300% or something. You can put it on a new general and get like 10 levels in a single battle, pretty neat.
2. You get to fight in some cool demon realms
3. You can use portals to teleport around the world, which is fun for sandbox stuff. One of my favorite campaigns, I sent Miao Ying to Sylvania during the first portal and ran around helping Karl and Kislev.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Go try the Tzeentch portal and you’ll understand

You'll go insane (which is just as planned)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Tzeentch portal is why I stopped playing RoC and waited for IE to drop. Killed any will to play the campaign again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I looked up a guide for the tzeentch realm my 2nd time which made it just have no mechanic at all (other than forcing the google search). I suggest everyone else do the same cus it sucks otherwise