Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I will stomp my feet at this until I am blue in the face: bring back that guy who racked up $53,999 and lost to James Holzhauer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh my god karen she just threw twenty thousand dollars away

today's episode, 3/22/23

people get lost a lot in the "optimal gameplay" wagering sauce but when you see someone commit *the* cardinal wagering sin it's so shocking that it's kind of refreshing. i feel bad! what could have possibly possessed her to make that wager!? also i don't think it's useful/helpful/fair to say "they should have known that" but... henry viii portrait painter and you're spotted "hans X the younger"? rough miss in the worst possible circumstances

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

I will stomp my feet at this until I am blue in the face: bring back that guy who racked up $53,999 and lost to James Holzhauer

he made a bad FJ wager and they both would have lost to third (another very good quizzer) if she bet and got it right and 1st and 2nd both missed, i don't think we should reward that :colbert:

Spokes fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 22, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spokes posted:

today's episode, 3/22/23

people get lost a lot in the "optimal gameplay" wagering sauce but when you see someone commit *the* cardinal wagering sin it's so shocking that it's kind of refreshing. i feel bad! what could have possibly possessed her to make that wager!? also i don't think it's useful/helpful/fair to say "they should have known that" but... henry viii portrait painter and you're spotted "hans X the younger"? rough miss in the worst possible circumstances

Top tier game play right there

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

IMO the rule should be people who haven’t won games (sorry Hookshot) or def like, 3+ games or wherever you want to set the bar. You can’t let Julia back on to crush people for 20 straight games.

I would accept one time winners (so Hookshot doesn’t stay mad at me), but I think it should at most 3-4 games won or whatever. 80,000ish people apply a year as it is.

As long as the new rule re-eligibles me, I'm happy with whatever your opinions are lol.

I have won as many games as Victoria Groce, so I'm hoping this works in my favour.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Charlotte's jacket on Tuesday's show is amazing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PSXer posted:

The clue wasn't saying that it was made out of bone, but that people call it "whalebone". Apparently. I've never heard of it either.

Well then the people making corsets were completely wrong. :colbert:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I would rather watch an episode with Mayim hosting then see another embarassing event like that was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dienes posted:

Well then the people making corsets were completely wrong. :colbert:

"Whalebone corset" is a part of a lyric in a Nick Cave song from 1992, so...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vulture Culture posted:

Bring back Lizard Hogge.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Kind of weird to call strippers "animals"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Animal customers? That's ridiculous.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I got it because duh but v and < are typically very different symbols in most typefaces.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Not to criticize the returning champion, but the wispy mustache screams middle school to me.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The energy on Wheel today is really something. Pat called it drunk energy and if they want to get all contestants drunk like this ahead of filming I'd watch more often.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zero One posted:

The energy on Wheel today is really something. Pat called it drunk energy and if they want to get all contestants drunk like this ahead of filming I'd watch more often.

Yah that was a weird one! Never heard so much bantering between contestants, haha.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Not to criticize the returning champion, but the wispy mustache screams middle school to me.

I said the same thing.

As for today's game, what the actual gently caress. Just a few clues in I'm pretty sure I said, "Well I know who's not winning today..."

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah it was a goofy game. That FJ clue was also.... not really well constructed.

Also glad Michael didn't win, his smug disdain for the wrestling category sucked.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

puppets freak me out posted:

Yeah it was a goofy game. That FJ clue was also.... not really well constructed.

Yeah I got the answer...I think...would they have taken "inferiority"?...but when you're not even sure if the correct answer is a noun (the winner's wasn't), that's not a sign of a well written clue

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I was thinking 'well, it's "less than", but a synonym that fits that question' and then tried to think of one and couldn't. So that was odd.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

The people I watched with did a similar thing, I think the stumbling block was thinking they wanted the name for, rather than the meaning of, the "<" symbol that also matched the feeling of marginalized groups. A few people came up with "comparison operator" or "inequality" for the first part and couldn't get it to match precisely with the second part of the question.

Oh well, at least Ken is hosting.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As someone who is an absolute idiot I got it. :3:

I was like, oh, invert the V and it's less than. Maybe it's history with code that helped since you can use that a lot?

ie, if (x < n) { dothing; }

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Maybe I'm an idiot, but when I think of 'inverting' something I think of turning it upside down. An equivalence symbol is not exactly an inverted 'V'; it's more like one that's been rotated. A caret (^) is closer to what I'd think of as a possible answer.

I tend to think that the question was a bit badly worded.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Unkempt posted:

I was thinking 'well, it's "less than", but a synonym that fits that question' and then tried to think of one and couldn't. So that was odd.

Exactly the same. I had it but thought they wanted a more "technical" or official word for the symbol,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but when I think of 'inverting' something I think of turning it upside down. An equivalence symbol is not exactly an inverted 'V'; it's more like one that's been rotated. A caret (^) is closer to what I'd think of as a possible answer.

I tend to think that the question was a bit badly worded.

That's exactly the problem with how the clue was written. The definition of invert is "to put upside down or in the opposite direction." > is not an inversion of V.

Edit: poo poo, I'm wrong. Just checked my recording, the clue was worded: "In math, it’s a rotated V; in society, it’s a feeling of some marginalized or underrepresented people"

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 25, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Timby posted:

That's exactly the problem with how the clue was written. The definition of invert is "to put upside down or in the opposite direction." > is not an inversion of V.

Edit: poo poo, I'm wrong. Just checked my recording, the clue was worded: "In math, it’s a rotated V; in society, it’s a feeling of some marginalized or underrepresented people"

The second half is what's weird to me. "less than" is not "a feeling of some marginalized or underrepresented people", at least not in those exact words. It's just odd

Good morning, how are you?
Oh, you know, I'm feeling fairly less than, today

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i have definitely heard that phrase, to be fair (as well as "lesser than")

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spokes posted:

i have definitely heard that phrase, to be fair (as well as "lesser than")

It's absolutely common with Gen Z. My ex-girlfriend has a 16-year-old child who identifies as non-binary (born female) and used that phrase quite frequently when I was dating their mom.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I was hoping the son of HHH and Sean Bean would win tonight. :(

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

How the poo poo is the PABT a reasonable subject for final jeopardy; who the hell has ever been "awed by its polished steel & stone."

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah that's sort of a "have you lived in/near NYC" question, but not even quite that. I lived in NYC for a while and took the bus a lot, so I guessed Metro Transit Authority since that logo is on drat near every bus in the city.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've at least heard the name Port Authority before. Didn't know what it was though

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I knew Port Authority was the busiest, but “polished stone and steel” is just bizarre. There’s lots of steel and glass and concrete, but no stone I can think of

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hahaha, Jules Verne, what?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Simpsons/Talespin fan spotted!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

New champ owns.
Hope she goes on a long run.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Simpsons/Talespin fan spotted!

I did the Leonardo DiCaprio point at the screen thing

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

WarEternal posted:

Hahaha, Jules Verne, what?

Spruce Moose made me laugh more than it should have.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Andorra posted:

I've at least heard the name Port Authority before. Didn't know what it was though

MTA handles intra-NY access for subway, LIRR, Metro North (with CT), etc.

Port Authority handles anything that requires crossing into New Jersey including buses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

FYI anybody can take the test today “regardless of any other criteria”