Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's wrong with that? sounds cool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It seems a little bloated but it might be fun to play.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If that game works it sounds great but the general impression I'm getting is that they should have cut 1 or 2 of those feature points somewhere along the line.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The biggest red flag on the gamefound is that it's launching with an expansion lol.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I played Dwellings of Eldervale which is the designer's previous game, which was just about as overstuffed with mechanics as this one but everything was so simple that it worked anyway. The extremely over the top production turned me off, and there's more focused games that I'd rather play, but it's mostly a shrug from me.

This one seems to be trying to that but even more. It is definitely amusing how lazer focused this one is on croundfunding types lol.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

an actual dog posted:

The biggest red flag on the gamefound is that it's launching with an expansion lol.

Everything launches with the expansion now on crowdfunding sites though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There’s something to be said about trying too much, and I think for me the breaking point is Feld games, where there are two many little subsystems that the game becomes too unfocused to be enjoyable. I have personal experience with helping designing a game that tried too much to have weird individual system that didn’t really mesh together all that well and although I’m still relatively proud of the outcome the game felt like a mess even up to release. Designing one system can be tough, designing two interlinked systems can be even tougher, and the difficulty rises the more systems you try to put in.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trajan owns, though. Tempo central, get there one turn before someone else does, forever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There’s only one good Feld game, and it’s in the year of the dragon, because it’s a very tight design. I actually think my board game journey might bring me back to ameritrash in the end. Bring back the themes

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

every Feld game feels like he throws together some actions then balances by adjusting how many points each comes with.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

In the year of the dragon is indeed good. But Trajan is too, despite the extremely point salady feel.

Die Speicherstadt is pretty cool too, it's got this neat auction system a little like the orders stacking in starcraft/FS

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

There’s something to be said about trying too much, and I think for me the breaking point is Feld games, where there are two many little subsystems that the game becomes too unfocused to be enjoyable. I have personal experience with helping designing a game that tried too much to have weird individual system that didn’t really mesh together all that well and although I’m still relatively proud of the outcome the game felt like a mess even up to release. Designing one system can be tough, designing two interlinked systems can be even tougher, and the difficulty rises the more systems you try to put in.

Not sure I see the specific objection to Andromeda's Edge here but I'll address my own experience with the project and its relationship to Dwellings of Eldervale. I thought Dwellings was actually pretty good (not great) and enjoyed the novel way it did the euro worker placement/tableau management combo with a side of DICE WARS. Some parts of it (RAWRING MONSTER SOUND BASES) were absurd but they tickled me and overall the mechanisms played pretty well together, although I don't entirely disagree with SVWAG's Mark Bigney''s issue with the fact that sometimes the dice fighting over area control Feels Bad (I think Walker was fine with it.)

But when AE came along, the touted improvements over DE were pretty... middling and the added systems seem more complex for complexity's sake than actually well-realized improvements on a good system that could be great. Plus, the aesthetic is a definite move in the wrong direction for the most part and lacks a lot of the flavor that DoE had. I ultimately passed on it because I already have a decent nonsense game like DoE and that's DoE; AE didn't do enough to separate it from its predecessor. It's not like Gaia Project for me in that I truly feel that game innovated enough on Terra Mystica to totally replace it for me 9 out of 10 times I'm looking to pull that sort of game off the shelf.

Not sure how AE gets us to board games were a mistake, but AE at least feels like it could have tried a bit harder to be its own thing if it wasn't going to be a definite upgrade on its predecessor.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I’m overegging the pudding on both games I’ve criticised tbh. But playing Bora Bora really put me off Feld and I just can’t see his designs as anything other than stapled together point scoring systems that barely synergise .

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What comes to mind when I hear this is: concatenation instead of integration. That's what Lacerda games look like to me, from outside anyway. A concatenation of disparate mechanisms instead of the integration of them together into systems. I still have never played one of his so maybe they don't play like that. Just saying how they look when I read the rules or see gameplay, etc.

Trickerion is an example of both concatenation and integration that I have played once in the before time. To my recollection, most of the game is pretty well integrated, but the mini game of making patterns with tiles to create tricks or whatever is completely bolted on. The game was done and the concatenated that system onto it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Not sure I see the specific objection to Andromeda's Edge here but I'll address my own experience with the project and its relationship to Dwellings of Eldervale. I thought Dwellings was actually pretty good (not great) and enjoyed the novel way it did the euro worker placement/tableau management combo with a side of DICE WARS. Some parts of it (RAWRING MONSTER SOUND BASES) were absurd but they tickled me and overall the mechanisms played pretty well together, although I don't entirely disagree with SVWAG's Mark Bigney''s issue with the fact that sometimes the dice fighting over area control Feels Bad (I think Walker was fine with it.)

But when AE came along, the touted improvements over DE were pretty... middling and the added systems seem more complex for complexity's sake than actually well-realized improvements on a good system that could be great. Plus, the aesthetic is a definite move in the wrong direction for the most part and lacks a lot of the flavor that DoE had. I ultimately passed on it because I already have a decent nonsense game like DoE and that's DoE; AE didn't do enough to separate it from its predecessor. It's not like Gaia Project for me in that I truly feel that game innovated enough on Terra Mystica to totally replace it for me 9 out of 10 times I'm looking to pull that sort of game off the shelf.

Not sure how AE gets us to board games were a mistake, but AE at least feels like it could have tried a bit harder to be its own thing if it wasn't going to be a definite upgrade on its predecessor.
Yeah it was just a bit of a joke, to be honest. Like trying to describe a game as a worker placement tableau building asymmetric area control hand management dice chucker is just loving funny to me. I don’t really know that much about the game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

Yeah it was just a bit of a joke, to be honest. Like trying to describe a game as a worker placement tableau building asymmetric area control hand management dice chucker is just loving funny to me. I don’t really know that much about the game.

Nah, jokes are good. Just wasn't sure if there was something specifically dumb about that write-up. It IS, somehow, all of those things and still surprisingly simple to explain on a teach (well, DoE is. No idea how much a few of the extra bells and whistles in AE adds to the explanation). My opinion, however, is almost certainly invalid as the biggest draw of DoE to me is that the big NPC monsters in the game have, in the stupidly kickstarter version, battery-powered sound bases that make them screech and roar every time you move them from one hex to another. You know, just the way Kramer and Kiesling always intended. ;-)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That’s loving great tbh, more games should have roaring pieces

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

feld’s also responsible for it happens… which at first glance looks like a potentially-fun outlier in his oeuvre but ultimately commits the sin of being a dice-driven game that isn’t exciting at all. unless you really like cartoonish phallic imagery in which case it’s a solid 6/10

(credit @moviebuffs on bgg)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I would say “that’s actually a bone” but, you know…

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

silvergoose posted:

In the year of the dragon is indeed good. But Trajan is too, despite the extremely point salady feel.

Die Speicherstadt is pretty cool too, it's got this neat auction system a little like the orders stacking in starcraft/FS

Those are the 3 Felds I like.

My biggest problem with Feld is he’ll come up with a really neat core mechanism (shogun tower in Amerigo, wind rose in Macau) and the rest of the game is really boring point salad stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

It's kind of a mile wide inch deep sort of thing.

• worker placement - space is a hexmap, deploy ships to harvest resources, make trades, explore the unknown, or pick fights. Picking fights is mandatory if you place on someone else's hex.
  • tableau building - trade for modules to attach to your space station; during the breather turn when you get your workers back, activate your modules with recovered ships and energy.
  • asymmetric - not heavily asymmetric in that everyone has access to the same actions, but every faction has a special power (always on) and a special ship design to upgrade to in addition to the random upgrade for each ship they get at the start of the game.
  • area control - every ship has a zone of control and can jump into a fight that starts anywhere in it
  • dice chucking - how combat do: toss dice, highest single die wins, ignoring ties
  • hand management - secret tactical cards to make combat about more than just numbers

Area control, tableau building, and dice chucking get all the real decision space - the other ones are really just being namedropped. Or maybe content warned, if you really don't like secret cards or asymmetric player powers?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The only Feld I'd unhesitatingly play at a meetup, after checking to see nothing more interesting is in the offing, is Castles of Burgundy. I find the dice system a nice way of narrowing your decisions, but it's still open ended enough that it's unlikely there will be "a bad roll".

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only Feld I'd unhesitatingly play at a meetup, after checking to see nothing more interesting is in the offing, is Castles of Burgundy. I find the dice system a nice way of narrowing your decisions, but it's still open ended enough that it's unlikely there will be "a bad roll".
I wanted to jump into the Feld pile on as a defender of CoB, but only know that game, so I didn't feel qualified. But I agree with you. There's strategy in making sure you can do something with the widest array of results on your turn ("I'm only screwed if I get a 2, and not even then if I get the tower with my 4 -- I'd be able to place it!") as well as the safety valves of selling trade goods and buying workers.

I find most of my "bad rolls" in CoB are caused by me draining all my workers in the previous turn trying to pull off a 'spectacular' move (snatch castle with mods - place castle with mods - buy mine with silverlings - place mine with castle wild die) and having nothing to do with the two dice that would have been perfect for an unmodified roll of what I had just pulled off using four workers.

I'd still play a lot of games before CoB, but it makes a great school night game -- time-bounded and limited decision space to minimize AP.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Magnetic North posted:

What comes to mind when I hear this is: concatenation instead of integration. That's what Lacerda games look like to me, from outside anyway. A concatenation of disparate mechanisms instead of the integration of them together into systems. I still have never played one of his so maybe they don't play like that. Just saying how they look when I read the rules or see gameplay, etc.

Trickerion is an example of both concatenation and integration that I have played once in the before time. To my recollection, most of the game is pretty well integrated, but the mini game of making patterns with tiles to create tricks or whatever is completely bolted on. The game was done and the concatenated that system onto it.

The worst expansion I have ever bought is the one for Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and it suffers from this problem. It has 3 'modules' you add in: Secret passages and moats are just kind of lame, but the third is the most concatenated rear end system I've ever played with. Random rooms come with a random colored token, and if you buy the room you get the token, and then you score by collecting sets of colored tokens. It's so generic you could literally bolt that system on to any game ever made.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yeah the swans. I didn't dislike the expansion, but nothing in it was interesting at all, yeah.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hoplomachus turned up today so I was able to give it a quick trial. I used the default setup with Krakenbane and took on a couple of fights.

The first was a 4 vs 3 sparring match where the twist was that rival units would roll the same dice as my hero does. I felt that this was best taken on early before I improved any of my dice. In a Spar your objective is to defeat all rival units except for the lead unit, who is called a Tribune. You can defeat the Tribune if you want, but he's a local hero so the crowd get angry and beat the poo poo out of you (you go to 1HP). The problem is that the lead unit is always stronger than a regular Neutral unit. Adding to that it was also a Retiarus, who as a Tactician character has the ability to move (but not attack) on the turn he deploys - non-Tacticians cannot move or act until the turn after. And as I was Atlantean we were fighting in the Atlantis arena, the special feature of which is a Trident that can be picked up and thrown at any enemy for 2 damage or 3 if the thrower is local. So, whatever unit I played was going to be facing down an enemy that could - and in fact must - deal 3 damage to it and which I wasn't allowed to kill.

I elected to bring in my Defender first, as it had 5HP and could survive a Trident hit. The Retiarus closed in and as it was holding the Trident, had to use it. It also used a Hamstring tactic on my Defender, meaning it couldn't both move and attack. I took advantage of being adjacent to use a Stun tactic on the Retiarus, meaning that it didn't act the next turn, and I also held onto the Trident so it wouldn't be thrown straight back. Now I only had to deal with the Archer that had just entered play and was out of range of the Defender, and I also had an Attacker on the field. On turn 3 the enemy deployed its final unit, a Defender of its own, and the Archer moved towards the Defender as per Atlantean priorities: flagbearer, unclaimed Trident, enemy with the Trident, most distant opponent. On my own turn 3 I deployed my hero. In the default setup Krakenbane has the ability Grand Entrance, which deals damage equal to the number of units you have in play to the strongest enemy when you deploy him. I hit the rival Defender for 3, putting it to 2, then moved Krakenbane and the Attacker so that all my units were all two hexes distant from it. Then my Defender finished it with the Trident. Come the rival turn the Archer had to move to the Trident and throw it according to priority, which meant the most distant opponent. As all my units were the same distance away I had the choice, so my Attacker took the hit for 2 damage (as the Archer is neutral). The Retiarus was engaged with my Defender, but was only able to deal 1 damage. I now had the Trident and the only remaining rival unit other than the Tribune had 2HP, so that was that.

The second fight was a deathmatch where my hero had to fight three enemies alone, but was given bonus abilities that reduced the quality of enemy attack dice to no higher than blue (the second worst after yellow, 3/6 to hit) and set the maximum damage he could take from any attack to 1. I think this one would have been more interesting outside of Atlantis; two of the enemies were low health to begin with and the last was a local Reptilian that could regenerate HP, so it turned into the Trident ping-pong situation that I'd played to avoid in the first fight. I did have to use a Blessing to survive, though, and I probably wouldn't have taken that fight on at higher difficulties.

Overall I enjoyed what I saw. There's definitely a lot of tactical and strategic choices to be made; even knowing that I was only going to do a couple of game weeks I still was able to plan out my route to the Primus I wanted to fight at the end of Act 1, with an alternate plan to use if I had to rest up. (While the game is on a strict clock, resting takes no time at all. Your punishment is instead to increase the influence of the Scion that you'll fight at the end of the game, making it stronger and you weaker. Picking a careless route can also force you into resting when you don't want to in order to make it to a capital arena before time runs out.) I'm going to break it out again at the weekend when I have more time and play a full Act, to see how it holds up over the intended session length.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The best expansion for any game is the Journeyman expansion for Isle of Skye. Its not just more of the same it turns it into a whole different game. Playing with the expansion is a real choice because its 2 different games now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Aramoro posted:

The best expansion for any game is the Journeyman expansion for Isle of Skye. Its not just more of the same it turns it into a whole different game. Playing with the expansion is a real choice because its 2 different games now.

I agree, which is why I think it's a terrible expansion.
e: more words on what I don't like about Journeyman: IoS's charms don't survive the extra play-time and rules complexity of a second game. I think most games would find it hard to survive having a second game played over top of them.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 23, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The best expansion for me has, and always will be, Dark Alleys for Dungeon Petz. Base game is really good, but Dark Alleys really kicks it up a notch and manages to make the game ride the fine line between risk and reward like a knife-edge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My favourite expansion is Orleans: Trade and Intrigue. The base game is very good but steady. The random events in T&I stop it becoming a card counting exercise, and the new Beneficial Deeds board is a massive step up in the original. And if you really want to get interactive, there's the Intrigue board (also known as the Dirty Deeds board) that lets you sabotage other players.

Other expansions that raise a game from good to top class are:

Dream Home: 156 Sunny Street
Barenpark: Die Grizzlies Sind Los! (aka The Bad News Bears)
Celestia: A Helping Hand
League of Six: Loyal Retinue

And of course, no discussion of expansions is complete without mentioning A Feast for Odin: The Norwegians.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I haven't played dark alleys, so my pick is the Norwegians for feast, it's astonishingly good.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Admiralty Flag posted:

First: Intrigue cards. These are the worst part of the game. Some are near useless (+1 water), some are OK (+1 with a faction), and some are outrageous (+1 VP for 4 spice or 7 Solari). There are only two ways to mitigate Intrigue cards' randomness: get a lot of them yourself (and use the, so you stay under the limit) or stay ahead of the scoring curve.

Swordmaster is problematic to buy because you have to dump a load of spice on the market that could have gone toward thinning your deck or Heighliners, getting a Dagger or a Dune the Desert Planet out of sight permanently (and drawing two cards) or winning you a VP conflict. He's also less useful than he appears because each turn 1) he uses up an extra card from your hand that could have gone toward buying something useful (though you can always end your agent turns early, it takes discipline to do this) and 2) by the 9th+ pick, the best spots are generally gone. I think the better play is often to go Mentat on four different turns, because you replace a Dagger with something useful (to place or to buy with). Card draw, even if it's a single card draw, is extremely powerful in this game. It can be a do-over for a crappy Dagger on Mentat, giving you the last two points you need to buy The Spice Must Flow. If, later in the game, you've got the Solari to spare and you do draw a Dagger, it might be worthwhile to go SM, especially if you already have some TSMF cards, because it'll be hard for you to get back to 9 persuasion points with those clogging your hand.

Rushing High Council isn't the best strategy, because your hands will be weak until you pick up a couple of 2 point cards, meaning you won't see much of a reward early, but getting your seat by turn 3-4 is a good idea. Those 2 points are critical for getting TSMF cards, but also, sometimes, 5-6 point cards if you still have Daggers and Dune the Desert Planets clogging your deck. If a great card comes up, don't be afraid to end your turn early to grab it (whether for the points or because someone else can get it). CHOAM Directorship has the potential to score you more points than a TSMF card near the end of the game.

This brings me to the most important point: don't clog your deck. Get 1, maybe 2, Arrakis liaisons in your first turns if nothing better is available. You want these cards for their access and for their '2' value. After that, only buy cards if they give you lots of persuasion points (rare), give you faction access (less rare), have some OP ability (Gurney is nice if I'm remembering correctly), or an unskippable one-time benefit (CHOAM Directorship; TSMF). Ending your reveal turn with unspent points isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thinning your deck aggressively is difficult without the xpacs, because the only reliable way to do so is through Selective Breeding (which requires some spice and gives you two card draws, which is a nice bonus), which directly competes with an opportunity to draw Intrigue cards. It's a difficult decision to make, especially if you're low on Intrigue cards. On a meta level, unless you've got BG-specific access through purchased cards, you're also competing with the other six faction spots with your Diplomacy card, so the decision gets more difficult.

Finally, and I'm sure you're glad to hear that word, there's a rule from the Immortality xpac I recommend importing into any game: Family Atomics. Once per game, during your turn (agent or reveal), each player may trash the row of five imperium cards and replace them. This is a way to get rid of the logjams when they get to be all pointless 1s and 2s, as well as a chance to stop someone from running off with Reverend Mother Mohiam or whatever her name is.

I'd second most of this. I've seen players win without getting seats / swordmasters when everyone else had. It's definitely not the only way to win, and yeah, is sometimes just wrong.

Thinning your deck is so good. We play the advanced game these days, which goes longer, (I think to 12 points? I can't remember) and thinning is super super important there.

I would disagree about the intrigue cards a bit. In that, yeah, some of them are game changers, but I don't think it's the VP ones. The combat ones tend to be the ones that win the game, in my experience. (Never use them level 1, or if there's no VP for the win, try and save them for a double VP conflict). I think though, either way, you kind of HAVE to invest in having a bunch of intrigue cards. And, yeah, they sway the game hugely. But so does you drawing that expensive card you managed to buy, why is this any different? If one person takes the time to visit the BGs to get them, or win a combat to get them, then, I mean, they're just as 'earned' as having something good come up on the market row for you. It cost you resources to get them, that you could have spent elsewhere.

I'd also kind of disagree with the sentiment that buying 'The Spice Must Flow' is something that comes up often. I mean, if you build your deck for purchase power rather than combat, sure, that's a good and viable strat. But I think that's just one strategy and I would say most others don't really have you buying TSMF more than once a game, unless you get really lucky. But, I mean, I think that's something that's very very meta dependant. If everyone goes hard on building their engine, then combats are just naturally going to be lower octane and require less of a commitment, so overall everyone is going to be able to get away with more purchase power.

I do think the expansions are great for fostering better deck building choices. Card synergies are actually really important, and building a deck that can do powerful things is actually really important. It feels like there are a bunch of good strategies now that are all fun.

/EDIT: On the topic of Expansions chat I definitely think both the Dune Imperium expansions improve the game a lot. They're good for bringing new things, but it all being sidegrades that improve the quality of the game and interaction, rather than just adding 'more stuff'.

For me personally, the expansion for Twilight Imperium, Prophecy of Kings is the best though. It's not everyone's cup of tea (SUSD don't like it at all) but it was very very much our playgroups jam. For me, certainly, it gave all the factions much more personality and idiosyncrasy, added a bunch of stuff that make things more exciting, and introduced some of the best factions in the game. That it managed to do all that, while actually improving the balance was really impressive.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 23, 2023

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

I haven't played dark alleys, so my pick is the Norwegians for feast, it's astonishingly good.

Any game that you can get an expansion for that is then considered indispensable a la Norwegians is S+ rank. Bananas to me that the Danes continues to exist only in hushed whispers and hastily photographed prototypes.

Inis, Cyclades, Kemet all have really good ones but their base games are perfectly without them so I think it fails the test if the test is something that either fixes issues with base game and/or just adds such great content that you never leave home without it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't necessarily agree with that, to be honest. I've always had the mind that if the base game becomes too mundane without the expansion, then there were issues with the base game. I like expansions where there is a reason to include them or not depending on the mood, which I think both the Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz expansion manage to do: want a more relaxed, newbie friendly teaching game, but still have a rock solid core game? Remove the expansion stuff. Want to have a tighter, more unforgiving game that has extra stuff to keep the old hands on the edge? Include the expansion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking of expansions this post on Reddit today had a great breakdown of expansions for games in the BGG top 100, looking at which ones did best, which did noticeably better/worse than the base game etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Honestly not surprised that Carcassone: The Catapult is the worst expansion when compared to the base game. Catapult is so bad.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Related: we never play Carcassonne without traders and builders, and inns and cathedrals. The extra workers and tiles just work great and add a bunch of fun choices.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tekopo posted:

I don't necessarily agree with that, to be honest. I've always had the mind that if the base game becomes too mundane without the expansion, then there were issues with the base game. I like expansions where there is a reason to include them or not depending on the mood, which I think both the Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz expansion manage to do: want a more relaxed, newbie friendly teaching game, but still have a rock solid core game? Remove the expansion stuff. Want to have a tighter, more unforgiving game that has extra stuff to keep the old hands on the edge? Include the expansion.

See, for me, it's a question of onboarding and complexity.

The expansion may make a game better but may be a lot to teach all at once. It may be a lot to experience all at once. So you play the base game (which is great!), but once you've grown comfortable with the foundation, you build upon that.

That's much less common though than games where the base game had flaws that were fixed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Honestly not surprised that Carcassone: The Catapult is the worst expansion when compared to the base game. Catapult is so bad.

Does it have an actual catapult to fling meeples at the tiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does it have an actual catapult to fling meeples at the tiles?