Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I just beat the poo poo out of Ochette's bosses and it eventually just forces you into a 100% capture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't find the Merchant class shrine until last night, at 40 hours lol. I've only been visiting areas for stories, it's kept me from being too overleveled but I've got really good gear

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Stumbling across the shrines was cool, I didn't realize the minimap spoiled their locations for you until I was almost done the game

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I had a hoot Scrutinizing the townsfolk of Clockbank and then finding that one Guard whose description is like "gosh I'm glad I get to work in a safe city surrounded by good folk"

Immediately I was also like "is this where I find the Thieves guild?" lol

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man you know what? This game, besides being my favorite RPG from Japan since DQXI is that it’s so fun to explore. Nothing is so involved that you’ll ever feel lost, stuff above your weight class is clearly indicated so you know if you’re risking something, loot is never hard to find but there’s always something to grab, and the path actions do a good job of hiding more secret things, the visuals really pop no matter where you go, and the world feels like it’s just the right size. Big enough to feel expansive, not so huge it’s overwhelming, and I kinda imagine the discrete zones as places of note on a longer journey. Takes the sting out of the compactness, which I know bugs some people. Not really me, but eh. I just love it to bits, and I can’t stop going on about why.

I never expected this much of an improvement on the first. I expected refinements with a bunch of my complaints still valid. But very few are now. And much like DQXI, it’s pretty drat cozy, grim plot elements aside.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My one gripe with bosses is any one that can remove a party member for a few turns. There's no counter to it and no means of curing it. So you bet your arse the final boss does it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Petrify is more annoying, in my opinion.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Small unimportant thing that these devs did in other games but I like when the UI changes over the course of the game. BD's whole Flying Fairy and End Layer gimmick gradually revealing itself, and in this game it's the loading screen changing to be duller and more broken. Eager to see the payoff to that as I just have one more shared story to go

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just finished Osvald’s story, then immediately after triggered his tavern chat with Castti and Agnea

:unsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Boosting also ups your odds of Capture. IIRC, I already had Ochette at 3+ BP when I got the message about Tera faltering, and just maxed it out right there.

It was 20% with full boosting. I imagine the issue is that I was afraid of Tera dying, so I never got any message about him faltering. I got him down to where his name became red, and then I got afraid of doing more damage (but it never seemed to improve beyond 10% without boosting/20% with full boosting even when I hit him with more Mercy Strikes).

BurningBeard posted:

Man you know what? This game, besides being my favorite RPG from Japan since DQXI is that it’s so fun to explore. Nothing is so involved that you’ll ever feel lost, stuff above your weight class is clearly indicated so you know if you’re risking something, loot is never hard to find but there’s always something to grab, and the path actions do a good job of hiding more secret things, the visuals really pop no matter where you go, and the world feels like it’s just the right size. Big enough to feel expansive, not so huge it’s overwhelming, and I kinda imagine the discrete zones as places of note on a longer journey. Takes the sting out of the compactness, which I know bugs some people. Not really me, but eh. I just love it to bits, and I can’t stop going on about why.

I never expected this much of an improvement on the first. I expected refinements with a bunch of my complaints still valid. But very few are now. And much like DQXI, it’s pretty drat cozy, grim plot elements aside.

Yeah, the game just feels well "balanced" in a very general sense (like not in terms of gameplay balance, but just its general design).

The biggest thing I've noticed is that, despite the game being almost completely open, I never find myself uncertain about what to do next. I can always easily find my next destination (and I can explore side paths on the way there).

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Hit credits. Some scattered plot/endgame thoughts;

Out of everyone's paths, I didn't expect it to be Osvald and Agnea would be ones to get me to cry full on tears down the face. Osvald's just hit me right in the gut in the wrap up, his daughter not remembering his face but her being alive and well despite everything just hit me hard. And for Agnea I just started bawling as soon as her dad, who they made very very clear at the start of her journey was extremely quiet and reserved, screamed out at the top of his lungs in the crowd when she was feeling defeated. I think I am extra weak to parental related story lines in the past few years.

I was thinking about "ranking" everyone's plots, but everyone had such fantastic paths overall I don't really want to. Out of all of them however, Throne's final chapter is definitely the weirdest of the bunch, even when you find out the connections it has to the overall stuff.

Also them making Ori one of the manipulating forces behind the scene blew me away, I never could of seen that coming and it wasn't even a out of nowhere twist, a very solid and believable one for a final stretch reveal.

Having the big EVERYONE IS HERE moment in the final boss after they split your party was SO good and got me hyped as hell. Seeing all of them standing in a huge line against that monster of a boss was amazing.

Speaking of which, the fact they make everyone walk away from the campsite in reverse order of how you recruited them really got me good, an extremely subtle touch that once you realize tugs at you just a bit. Same with how the credits play everything in order of how you did each story.

I didn't expect Octopath 2 to knock it out of the park as well as it did for me. It might be locked in as one of my favorite RPGs I've ever now, I haven't enjoyed one this thoroughly in quite some time. The only possible complaint I have is it gets a bit too easy once you hit a certain threshold of power as I basically broke every chapter 4 boss once then was able to annilate them in one turn between Osvald and Ochette.

That being said boy do I have a bit of grinding to do before I can face that super boss, I do not have the HP for him yet. But it gives me a reason to revisit later on, so I'll take it. :unsmith:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You can take it on around 70-80, fwiw. The gear and party setup is more important.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I appreciate that they made the Battle-Tested Weapons/Shield really easy to get this time.

Does the secret boss involve all 8 characters or do you build a team of 4?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I appreciate that they made the Battle-Tested Weapons/Shield really easy to get this time.

Does the secret boss involve all 8 characters or do you build a team of 4?

yes, though it's not the same format as final boss. You have two phases, first four fight that and then the second haf fight the last phase

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FireWorksWell posted:

yes, though it's not the same format as final boss. You have two phases, first four fight that and then the second haf fight the last phase

So it’s the same as the “final” boss in the first game? Is it literally the same boss? lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

So it’s the same as the “final” boss in the first game? Is it literally the same boss? lol

yes, as I learned while looking around for strategies. There was some world record video of the first game's version and it was like 3 or 4 hours?? This one took me ten minutes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

As far as I can tell, yes, literally, but I haven't attempted either past getting owned by the first phase.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So is battle-tested gear just the strongest in the game? Do they have any other fun side effects? I know there's at least one weapon that will cast bolt chaser on top of whatever other elemental chaser you have on top of it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I finished Hikari’s chapter 2 and I thought I was a little bit above the recommended level but I have to ask: was the boss supposed to be doing that much damage?

I had to start digging deep into my items because goddamn 700-1000 HP attacks were nothing to scoff at

It was still fun though and the story continues to have an actual pulse unlike the first game tbh

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Prowler posted:

So is battle-tested gear just the strongest in the game? Do they have any other fun side effects? I know there's at least one weapon that will cast bolt chaser on top of whatever other elemental chaser you have on top of it.

The weapons all have secondary effects in addition to the highest attack for each category, yeah. The shield restores HP/SP after every action and has the highest def/elm def.

They’re super easy to get this time, you can steal/purchase/etc each from an NPC that only shows up after clearing a character’s story. Usually that NPC is involved with the special voiced side quests.

Edit: you can get more copies by fighting specific NPC’s but like the first game it’s a 2% drop rate which sucks but is better than 1/256 I guess!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 22, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Prowler posted:

They're among the strongest, but the top-tier gear in general have benefits or drawbacks that make them stand out. Battle-Tested is usually very strong and gives extra benefits, Forbidden is powerful but has drawbacks, Lost Tribe penalize certain stats (which can be taken advantage of!), and there's other distinct weapons that end up having their uses too.

On top of that, some weapons will work better for certain characters/jobs. You may want to save an ElemAtk-boosting weapon for someone with a couple magical skills but otherwise physical-focused, for instance, or you may want to pair an element-boosting weapon with someone that specializes in that element.

Setting up end-game parties can be pretty fun if you have the mindset for it!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The weapons all have secondary effects in addition to the highest attack for each category, yeah. The shield restores HP/SP after every action and has the highest def/elm def.

They’re super easy to get this time, you can steal/purchase/etc each from an NPC that only shows up after clearing a character’s story. Usually that NPC is involved with the special voiced side quests.

Wait what, I beat 4 stories so far. What is this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Go back to the towns you visited during the story; some of the plot characters, like the bodyguard from Agnea's story or that one sister voiced by Laura Post from Hikari's, will hang out there and give you quests (all of these are labeled Next Chapter and are good) and/or have loot you can swipe.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Trophy guide lists the NPCs in question:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2938224161

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

What exactly would you want them to do for the next game? This is such a quality jump that it’s hard for me to not give this post a little side eye. The intraparty conversations and cross path chapters were a decent compromise. The only other thing based on your post, that they could do is have a bunch of triggers for possible included characters, which would be profoundly time inefficient for the end result. What you’d get in practice would be a lot of “Yeah! Let’s do that!” and “No milord, I have doubts,” and on and on. It would both be transparent as a mechanic and obnoxious once you’ve got all eight characters.

The only way to appease people who want intraparty dialogue, as I see it, is to add a lot more cross path quests. But that’s probably even more work than the wedging dialogue into every possible permutation of a chapter. More satisfying, too, obviously.

I think as long as we get an Octopath III we’ll be in good shape.

Something I’d considered also is what if you went down to four characters with eight or even sixteen jobs, as well as path actions attached to those jobs. They’d have to do something with the name of the game, but at least you’d get a manageable party size to work with and could do a more traditional story. But at this point, the anthology style of Octopath helps distinguish it from its peers, imho.

As it stands, this is a game that succeeds because it knows what it is, knows what it can reasonably get away with, and knows how its ancestors succeeded and failed. In other words, straight craft top to bottom.

Well bummer. It’s a fair compromise considering the structure of the game, but I admit to being a wee bit bummed this is the case. I figure smart play can get you through it, but it’s such a blunt method.

here's what you do: make a chapter series like the final chapter in this game, that unlocks as you finish chapter 1/2/3/4/etc in the characters stories. so like there'd be "full party story chapter 1", and so on, and once everything is done that turns into the endgame chapter

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Farg posted:

here's what you do: make a chapter series like the final chapter in this game, that unlocks as you finish chapter 1/2/3/4/etc in the characters stories. so like there'd be "full party story chapter 1", and so on, and once everything is done that turns into the endgame chapter

I would like this and it would be good for getting more inter-party interactions, IMO. It probably doesn't even need four of them you could probably just have one after you do everyone's chapter 2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Go back to the towns you visited during the story; some of the plot characters, like the bodyguard from Agnea's story or that one sister voiced by Laura Post from Hikari's, will hang out there and give you quests (all of these are labeled Next Chapter and are good) and/or have loot you can swipe.

Mikka is the girl in Ku. Veronica was the bodyguard.

There are 11 total and they aren’t always in towns that make sense. A character from Ochette’s story is in Gravell, for example.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm fine with the inter-party design seen in II. Mechanic-wise, some kind of change to the random encounters would be welcome. Like say, being able to switch off encounters that are below your level since weak enemies avoid you. And having a whistle from Dragon Quest that lets you summon enemies anyway. Or a reward for beating everything but the superboss could be an item that summons metal slime enemies/

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 22, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's still dumb that you get the "Turn off random encounters" accessory from defeating the secret bonus boss, long after you have any use for it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I wish they had also included an option to reduce or turn off EXP gains, since I was constantly worried about being over leveled for stuff when I killed Agnea’s Chapter 2 boss before they could do whatever their gimmick was.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Partitio's final boss rattled off a speech mid-fight, then he vanished in a puff of logic.

He was a candle in the wind, unreliable.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like the culmination of Partitio and Agnea's stories.

(Full-story spoilers for both) Both end with all major NPCs alive, with Partitio hiring literally every boss he fights (besides Roque's dog, which still shows up in the story ending), and Agnea literally having only one real adversary, and even he changes his mind upon seeing Agnea's song. They're both kinda crazy and a bit dumb, but that's why I love both stories so much.

I'm glad OT2 has stories even more irreverent and outlandish than Tressa's from OT1.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That reminds me of something I'd been wondering (final epilogue spoilers): Partitio is such a good egg that his secret villain ends up doubting their scheme; "the mad lad actually did as he promised and killed the monopoly instead of taking it for himself! Now I don't even know if I want to destroy the world; how could you do this to me, Partitio?"

The banter at the end implies that Ori survived; did anyone manage to find her anywhere? Or any other changes to the world after beating the final boss? I'm assuming she's nowhere to be found; I checked the obvious places, but the only change I found is that Mindt is no longer in the church at Flamechurch, and one of the priests wonders where she went.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Getting to the actual connected story bits, the difference between 1 and 2 is so vast that I honestly wonder if most people that complain about it haven't actually reached that point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That reminds me of something I'd been wondering (final epilogue spoilers): Partitio is such a good egg that his secret villain ends up doubting their scheme; "the mad lad actually did as he promised and killed the monopoly instead of taking it for himself! Now I don't even know if I want to destroy the world; how could you do this to me, Partitio?"

The banter at the end implies that Ori survived; did anyone manage to find her anywhere? Or any other changes to the world after beating the final boss? I'm assuming she's nowhere to be found; I checked the obvious places, but the only change I found is that Mindt is no longer in the church at Flamechurch, and one of the priests wonders where she went.

Ori doesn't show up in the world, but if you look at the final scene she's found all the way in the back of the audience.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, I was even looking for that, but I must've missed it. Cheers!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Farg posted:

Yeah this is neat. Budget willing maybe it'll happen. Also I guess I do have to interrupt my vigorous OT2 Love fest to say yes, random encounters are rear end and should be nuked from orbit. If they gotta have em, then they need more mitigation than the scholar passive. It’s a god drat good thing the combat in this game is engaging enough that I’m able to put up with it, or that would be a pretty big black mark.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
(Final chapter spoilers) I actually twigged onto Mindt at the end of Temenos' route, and I started suspecting Ori after she showed up at the end of Castti's route (but not heavily). Kazan was always kinda suspicious. The only one I was surprised by (and I think almost everyone I know who played the game) was Tanzy, because like virtually everyone else in Agnea's route, she seemed so irrelevant to the wider plot. She did use 'Goddess' a lot and that's not a common epithet in Octopath-land, which I guess you could find weird, but eh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Final boss down, cool as hell fight and loved it even if I didn't really have a reason to swap back and forth and forgot to give temenos a weapon lmao. Really really great game any minor gripes aside. Night and day coming off OP1

Just idle thoughts but:

Ochette Was a fun lighthearted story for the most part but it is kinda weird that her finale was so climactic. I kinda geared myself up for insane setpieces like the cursed island for the others and when it didn't come I was just kinda 'oh huh.' The Darkling stealing your parties abilities was cool as hell and it in general made her meandering middle ground worth it. Shame the dark hunter is just some literal who though for all she gets talked about.

Castii I liked her mystery a lot and the UI flickering made me think the game might be more meta then it was. Troussou was a weird villain but the plotline was interesting enough that I didn't mind. His final fight was probably the hardest for me though and was the only fight in the game I had to end without everyone alive due to its gimmick. Sorry Agnea!!

Temenos Was probably one of my favorites, namely because of how much sass he had. His secret villain was eh but whatever and his interactions with Crick were a game highlight. RIP to a real one. Pretty shocked how much I came around on him as a character as he was a bit too much of a dick at first.

Osvald I don't know how I feel about him tbh. His first 2 chapters suck and I barely remember anything about his campaign other than Boy Harvey Loves Being Evil and the golem boss's ending. He as a character wound up woefully weak so I didn't even really get to enjoy his holy beam much. Not very memorable.

Partitio Funniest character and most endearing. I got nothin to say really, probably the most solid in what it set out to do and his theme kicks rear end. Love fighting giant stupid trains.

Agnea Agnea was there. Song of Hope is good and I approve of Veronica, and the fake out fight near the end gave me a good laugh but even in the finale she just felt like she had nothing to contribute. Least she wasn't as boring as Osvald.

Throne I have mixed feelings, better story than Primrose but that's really not hard to do and her final chapter going apeshit made me lol but she spent too much time saying ... for me to really care. Girl had a mission and she did it. The end. Mechanically one of the cooler final bosses though.

Hikari I liked his story! It's cliche samurai film stuff but Mei is cool and his boss gauntlet at the end was fun. Dude was roided out of his mind though so my entire playthrough dissolved into 'use his latent to get a extra turn while dealing 15k damage then Brands Blade for another 25k okay every fight in the game is over the end.

Finale Wish there was more stuff like this and I'm surprised Yomi didn't have a role in anything. The bosses were good in general though again Hikari lol. Really sucks that the Dark Hunter is again a literal who that has 2 lines of text and dies but whatever. The biggest problem I had is that the final boss is cool as hell but holy poo poo it does *not* handle party wide reflect well at all. For as intimidating as it was I think it only hit me like twice so I never needed to switch to my other party in the fight. Also shame on them for not making a big musical piece that mixes all 8 character themes into a triumphant refrain for the final phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

(Final Chapter) Tanzy isn't really much of a villain. She goes through some trauma with losing her fiance and then Mindt is unfortunately the person she finds to console and guide her through it. She joined the performance troupe just to travel around in hopes of finding the shrine that Mindt needed, which she did on Toto'haha. Tanzy didn't do anything outright villainous though she was just being manipulated and was promptly sacrificed for all her trouble. It was just overall super depressing and really nailed home how terrible a person Mindt was.