Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I believe he shoveled elephant poo poo for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know megathreads can feel kind of impenetrable, but I think most are pretty good at explaining in-jokes or references to earlier stuff if people ask. Maybe codifying that as a rule could help? Something like "If someone is new to a thread and asks questions try to help them get up to speed," maybe?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know megathreads can feel kind of impenetrable, but I think most are pretty good at explaining in-jokes or references to earlier stuff if people ask. Maybe codifying that as a rule could help? Something like "If someone is new to a thread and asks questions try to help them get up to speed," maybe?

Occasional reboots might help too. Maybe like a yearly refresher or something, I dunno, it probably depends more on how fast the thread moves than any kind of actual page count metric or something. Like how TFF will have threads that cover a week during the season because lots of stuff happens and then there's a thread for the whole offseason.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Occasional reboots might help too. Maybe like a yearly refresher or something, I dunno, it probably depends more on how fast the thread moves than any kind of actual page count metric or something. Like how TFF will have threads that cover a week during the season because lots of stuff happens and then there's a thread for the whole offseason.

Yeah, this is something we try to do but can definitely lag on or forget about. Having it vary as needed by thread topic makes sense.

One of my favorite threads is the Critterquest thread, and instead of rebooting it we've been renaming it, which I think works well for that thread.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, this is something we try to do but can definitely lag on or forget about. Having it vary as needed by thread topic makes sense.

One of my favorite threads is the Critterquest thread, and instead of rebooting it we've been renaming it, which I think works well for that thread.

It's a good way to explain inside jokes too because reboots I've seen in places like Traditional Games have had a lot of collaboration for the new OP.

Like, the Sardines thread has been plugging along since 2015, if it got rebooted it could lead off with brand recommendations or recipes from the previous thread.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I kiss you

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

every megathread needs a morale officer and a political officer

also the 5000 page thread is due for its annual reset

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

You shut your drat mouth

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

:hmmyes:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
GBS is just fine. :)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

Correct. It's why I like it the best out of all the sub forums. the right balance of moderation, content and comedy. a posting nirvana, if you would.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Can I be a mod for the pellet palace?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nooner posted:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Nooner posted:

Lol Spinz got probated again because gbs SAD hates women

Dunno if it's them specifically but there are a ton of posters and mods on SA who just have zero drat chill about anything. At worst Spinz has a dumb harmless eye rolling shtick. Scroll past if a 50 something lady brings up her sex life too much. Plenty of other posters have harmless things they love talking about too. Ignore it if you think its stupid.

But goons can get so self righteous over dumb poo poo I swear some can only get an erection if they are dog piling someone no matter what if they are "wrong". (Like I've felt bad for future permabanned idiots I had on Ignore because some clown decided they were being heroes for endlessly riding their rear end.)

Overall though GBS is fine. I read the threads I like, don't read ones I don't, sometimes share or mock stuff on Discord. Jobs a goodun. The slur thing is kinda dumb imo. I mean if the words are used it generally is an indicator the user might be an rear end in a top hat but do we need to probate or even waste time reporting it? (Unless it would be even more of thread derailment every time someone does it... yall mods n iks n admins can debate that. I'm a weirdo who wants to keep a low post average thus whenever I post I make too big posts like this.)

Also don't care if Slmug is mod or not and unless Teen Witch actually was forcing mod challenges n crap I thought she was a fine IK. (But if she was doing challenges that's sad. Mod challenges should only be for comedy purposes.)

But I mostly read and only post a bit in Retro and Trad Games so my thoughts probably should be taken with this in mind.

Ps: "Wake up your dog" was best GBS thread ever imo.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Rufus posted:

Dunno if it's them specifically but there are a ton of posters and mods on SA who just have zero drat chill about anything. At worst Spinz has a dumb harmless eye rolling shtick. Scroll past if a 50 something lady brings up her sex life too much. Plenty of other posters have harmless things they love talking about too. Ignore it if you think its stupid.

But goons can get so self righteous over dumb poo poo I swear some can only get an erection if they are dog piling someone no matter what if they are "wrong". (Like I've felt bad for future permabanned idiots I had on Ignore because some clown decided they were being heroes for endlessly riding their rear end.)

Overall though GBS is fine. I read the threads I like, don't read ones I don't, sometimes share or mock stuff on Discord. Jobs a goodun. The slur thing is kinda dumb imo. I mean if the words are used it generally is an indicator the user might be an rear end in a top hat but do we need to probate or even waste time reporting it? (Unless it would be even more of thread derailment every time someone does it... yall mods n iks n admins can debate that. I'm a weirdo who wants to keep a low post average thus whenever I post I make too big posts like this.)

Also don't care if Slmug is mod or not and unless Teen Witch actually was forcing mod challenges n crap I thought she was a fine IK. (But if she was doing challenges that's sad. Mod challenges should only be for comedy purposes.)

But I mostly read and only post a bit in Retro and Trad Games so my thoughts probably should be taken with this in mind.

Ps: "Wake up your dog" was best GBS thread ever imo.

:hmmyes:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Okay! Just worked out, showered, here to answer your questions.

isaboo posted:

a lot of goons are terrible at curating and moderating their own forum experience. shocking.

maybe make more tools available - a better ignore function that also hides the offending post if it is quoted, a user defined 'gentle caress' function etc

I don't know though I'm just a oval office

This isn't a bad idea, but not something we can implement. I'd recommend asking astral if this can be added to the gigantic list of poo poo that he needs/wants to do

Slugworth posted:

Every forum and thread is for everyone. They can still be brigaded though. Intent and context matters. But I would say more GBS posters should post there, especially if they're concerned their voices aren't being heard.

This is a correct idea.

Look, they're gonna talk poo poo whether or not you post there. That's just a given. However, your voice does matter, as much as you may not think so. I will emphasize that you please follow the rules of SAD if you do, however.

In conclusion, :justpost:

Treecko posted:

OK, real post.

It's fine to joke around on the internet, over-modderation hurts the community. I mostly do it while I wait for real life events.

I would never call someone hurtful things on purpose in person.There is a separation between internet shitposts and what actually affects you.

I mostly read other subforums to learn about cool, interesting skills other people have. I don't mess up those threads.

But this is GBS, and fireing off word salad shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. That's kinda thier problem.

I mean it is and it isn't. The internet is, and largely has been, the wild west. We're wilder than most, but there's still a limit to where I think a line could be. We want this to be a fun, safe place to post. GBS for posting, FYAD for flamewars. So it has been, so it shall always be.

bagmonkey posted:

Suggestion: Rotating stickied threads that are for making funny jokes and content. Pick a topic and let goons have it, basically a Photoshop Friday thing except its all week long and its for jokes not necessarily slick photoshops (I fuckin suck at photoshop)

This is a good, fun idea! I like this and this is something we can implement immediately.

Bad Purchase posted:

every gbs post should be required to contain a slur

we can trial that for 3 months and then evaluate afterward if the slurs were really the problem or just a scapegoat rustled up by those mayflys from SAD

Sorry, request denied. Too much effort here and it'll just go bad and then everyone will be sad and I don't want sad posters!

Smugworth posted:

What if we all posted for fun and had fun posting together

This is the worst suggestion in the thread by far. Utter, complete dogshit. I cannot believe you posted these words, looked at them and determined that this was a correct and good thing to post. I have immediately applied for a 100k probe, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Charles Bukowski posted:

GBS look at my new kitty, he is the bestest lil guy. Rescued him from a place with way too many cats not being cared for, now he's a grade A fuckin kitty cat and I'm gonna spoil him rotten.

omg kitty! :3: so beautiful and pure! Con-cat-ulations!

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Remember when low effort threads were discouraged so there wouldn't be so many posts of 'I farted' and 'I had a taco for lunch" etc.?

I do, but honestly, I personally want more threads to break up the "front page is all megathreads" feel. There's a limit to how low effort one can go before it's poo poo, but like Justice Potter Stewart said, "I'll know it when I see it"

Thank you! I hope that it remains that way for a long time to come.

Nooner posted:

Done. Congratulations to mod Nooner!

....aaaaaaaaand he goatsed the mod forum. That was quick.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Indulge nom by bringing in the reverse GBS challenge. He can clone a thread into gbs from another sub, and if it does better here than the original, by the standards of the original subforum regulars, then he gets to buy one custom title. Otherwise he wins a lifetime posting award (11 year probe)

hahaha honestly, this kind of rules. There's no penalty for a poo poo thread other than a gas, but I kind of like this idea!

Anyway I'm starving I gotta eat I'll be back later but thanks to everyone who's contributed so far! :) This has actually exceeded my expectations tbh

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

wait i didn't know there are cats in the 5000 page thread what else have i been missing?

The 5kpt is like a box of chocolates. Sweet salty and nutty!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You don’t even need to read all 5000 pages just the first 2555 since that’s as far as we’ve gotten.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Nooner posted:

You’re already mod of my heart. Isn’t that enough?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can I be a mod for movie reviews

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like Lowtax made a subforum for every type of posting he didn't feel like seeing in GBS so people would focus on threads he could mine for front page content. Now we have no front page and GBS is 90% megathreads that could just as easily be dumped into CCCC. We need something here that actually encourages posting from new people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
IK Sid would be good and proper but Mod Sid would mean less Sidposting so that must be forbidden.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

rodbeard posted:

I feel like Lowtax made a subforum for every type of posting he didn't feel like seeing in GBS so people would focus on threads he could mine for front page content. Now we have no front page and GBS is 90% megathreads that could just as easily be dumped into CCCC. We need something here that actually encourages posting from new people.
I can't wait to see what you've got for us.

I'm an app user, so I can't start new threads. Otherwise, I'd get right on this.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Slugworth posted:

I can't wait to see what you've got for us.

I'm an app user, so I can't start new threads. Otherwise, I'd get right on this.

SA needs to go all in on the app. Let it rise from the ashes of twitter, meta, and other false platforms.

Plus if we are all on the app we can have a better shared interactive experience. For example, you can post “oval office” but when you do the app plays “YA COOOOOOOOONT”. You can’t mute it, the app controls all.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
With homelessness on the rise in America for the last 5 years there's never been a better time for Bum Fights revival maybe someone should make a thread?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

I feel the same, i get the odd oval office probe when im feeling cheaky, but i know what im in for when i do it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Checking the SAD change log thread, we have:

Fritz the Horse posted:

(don't) watch people die
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027444
Resolved: new forums-wide standard for posting violence/gore/death as follows:

1) Graphic footage of people being tortured, dying, or dead, in any forum, for any reason, gets a ban+time off. It's especially bad to post this stuff as entertainment material. May result in a permaban depending on if it's a repeat offense and other factors.

2) Things that are NOT THAT but which are kind of adjacent to that are treated on a case-by-case basis but with the understanding that your 9/11 joke is probably old hat by now and you should really get some new material

The first is self explanatory, but how are the GBS mods interpreting the second? What sort of things are now probable/banable that weren't before?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

recognizing the humor in 9/11 from the outset is what set this place apart from all the imitators

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
9/11 jokes are still funny when you remember to make them

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

recognizing the humor in 9/11 from the outset is what set this place apart from all the imitators

Since SAD said it's forum wide, I'm glad it will put the nail into the coffin of genocide denial in the non-FYAD forums :haw:

They're going to implement it any day now.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Checking the SAD change log thread, we have:

The first is self explanatory, but how are the GBS mods interpreting the second? What sort of things are now probable/banable that weren't before?

Please note that this is not official GBS policy; this is just me spitballing. Like Fritz said, it's a judgment call. To me, in general, if it's not going to be funny to a majority of people (Ukraine thread excepted where there are special rules and if you post death to be funny or interesting then you earn a nice shiny red X) then I wouldn't post it. I'm hesitating to say specific things because I'm not sure you're aware but there are a lot of lawyers on this forum that come out of the woodwork when they get probed and start arguing nuance, plus it'd probably be a constantly updated list

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 23, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I know it when I see it. :shrug:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It feels like "Am I willing to bet $10 that this joke/video is good?" is a good metric to apply to avoid punishment on the second point. And probably one I should have followed more often myself.

I assume if Zelenskyy stomps on Putin with his new Ukrainian Gundam or Elon livestreams himself getting Nedelin'd or Trump shits himself to death on live television, you might be able to slide by posting the video for a brief moment since it'll be newsworthy and funny enough.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

russian pic site

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Posters in SAD telling you just to not visit threads that aren't for you but clutching their pearls over the possibility of someone, somewhere, posting the crash scene from Final Destination 2.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

It feels like "Am I willing to bet $10 that this joke/video is good?" is a good metric to apply to avoid punishment on the second point. And probably one I should have followed more often myself.

I assume if Zelenskyy stomps on Putin with his new Ukrainian Gundam or Elon livestreams himself getting Nedelin'd or Trump shits himself to death on live television, you might be able to slide by posting the video for a brief moment since it'll be newsworthy and funny enough.

Yeah this first paragraph is a good metric tbh and you and Tarquinn said it much better than I did

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

FilthyImp posted:

Posters in SAD telling you just to not visit threads that aren't for you but clutching their pearls over the possibility of someone, somewhere, posting the crash scene from Final Destination 2.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Lol

:emptyquote:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i posted in sad and they told me exactly that, about the crash scene from final destination 2 i mean, and anyone can find the post and see for themselves