Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget the specifics but I believe in Dino Fury a MOTW specifically brought back Zedd’s evil side or something (he’s also apparently going to be the primary villain again in Cosmic Fury)

Kind of curious what they have planned after that honestly as the latter is apparently only going to be a short miniseries that just uses Zord and by association monster/villain footage from a select few episodes of Kyuranger

Also I can’t tell, is that Barbara Goodson doing Rita’s voice again?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RBX posted:

Time travel? Ugh. Only blemish I can see.

It's not like they havent done time or dimension travel before in PR.
I'm going to assume it's going to be a minor thing aside from "Oh no Rita is going to erase the Power Rangers before they ever started!" And probably a way for them to borrow/bring in the Green Powers without having to address the may or may not have passed away Tommy (JDF ) in the present.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

I forget the specifics but I believe in Dino Fury a MOTW specifically brought back Zedd’s evil side or something (he’s also apparently going to be the primary villain again in Cosmic Fury)

Kind of curious what they have planned after that honestly as the latter is apparently only going to be a short miniseries that just uses Zord and by association monster/villain footage from a select few episodes of Kyuranger

Also I can’t tell, is that Barbara Goodson doing Rita’s voice again?

To answer my own question yes, it appears she and Richard Horvitz are both back for this

Interesting they acknowledged Trini’s death by having Rita straight up murder her (though I saw a green ranger in one shot as well so I’ll be curious how they handle that, unless this was filmed prior to JDFs passing that is)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 22, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like if Frank shot anything for this they'd have at least hinted at it in the trailer. An off screen "It's morphin' time!" at the end or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like if Frank shot anything for this they'd have at least hinted at it in the trailer. An off screen "It's morphin' time!" at the end or something

Well the Green Ranger was definitely in the trailer briefly so I guess we’ll just have to see what they do with it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also too bad they couldn’t get AJJ back for this, wonder if they’ll even bother explaining how Kat got her hands on a Pterodactyl coin

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Why does this light a fire within?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on some behind the scenes stuff the new Rita is apparently a robot and the coin issue will actually be explained.

Hope we finally get to hear Catherine Sutherland say Kim’s original morph call at the very least since she’s using her coin

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

wonder if they’ll even bother explaining how Kat got her hands on a Pterodactyl coin

Kat took over as pink in MMPR3 why wouldn't she have the coin?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Kat took over as pink in MMPR3 why wouldn't she have the coin?

S3 introduced a new set of Power Coins remember? Kat had the Crane coin

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Canon" is just a myth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tommy somehow brute-forced a multimorpher so I'm figuring that recovering coins by reforging/relinking them to The Grid isn't so crazy anymore.

Maybe they finally got Ninjor off his rear end again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Adam's coin was hosed in PRiS and then unfucked in OO
Jason got his coin back from Rocky and it was fine for WF
Everyone's coins worked in Super Megaforce
Rocky either has a dupe coin or took it back from Jason and it works fine in Ninja Steel

Also everyone used their ninja coins to access their MMPR suits

In conclusion, a wizard did it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah even today I see a lot of "but I thought the coins were GONE FOREVER so much for history being meaningful" and I'm like, "it's been over 25 years that they've shown them slowly getting them working again, cmon."

I'm not that hype for the special, everyone looks very old. But I'm glad that Billy will get a better ending than the he one got on Zeo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Tommy somehow brute-forced a multimorpher so I'm figuring that recovering coins by reforging/relinking them to The Grid isn't so crazy anymore.

Maybe they finally got Ninjor off his rear end again.

Also only the Ninja coins were actually straight up destroyed (and even that seems to have been undone given that Tommy summoned the Falconzord back in Ninja Steel, though then again so did Alpha back in Alien Rangers despite said coin already being dust)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The coins being destroyed wouldn't have effected the Zords to my knowledge, indeed all of the Season 3 Zords survived that season(as did all of the ones from Zeo, as well as Dragon Zord, Titanus, Tor, and Artillatron if we extend this to the rest of the Zordon era Zords)

Not destroying or otherwise properly writing off all the stuff from Zeo has basically left a giant gaping question of "why has no one ever gone and dug that stuff back up either for the original users to use again or to give to a new team"* outside of Tommy using Zeo 5 during Forever Red and later integrating it into his multi morpher

*or similarly "why has no one gone and bugged Ninjor to make a new set of Ninja Power Coins"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah even today I see a lot of "but I thought the coins were GONE FOREVER so much for history being meaningful" and I'm like, "it's been over 25 years that they've shown them slowly getting them working again, cmon."

I'm not that hype for the special, everyone looks very old. But I'm glad that Billy will get a better ending than the he one got on Zeo.

Except Zack. He never aged for some reason.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

*or similarly "why has no one gone and bugged Ninjor to make a new set of Ninja Power Coins"

Ninjor OD'd in 2004

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ninjor was killed in the January 6 capitol riots after tasing himself in the balls

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sockser posted:

Ninjor OD'd in 2004

In retrospect it's surprising how little Robot Chicken made fun of Power Rangers

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Well we did have a Ninja season a few years ago. That weird ninjanium was manufactured by somebody.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Well we did have a Ninja season a few years ago. That weird ninjanium was manufactured by somebody.

Didn't Dino Fury still shrug about that? Like Mick shows up and they're still "well, this weird space shuriken is chill I guess"?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Between the Morphin Masters , Gosei and multiple teams just straight up using tech to tap into the Morphing grid there is little reason to assume any power can't be back in some way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not that hype for the special, everyone looks very old.

MMPR ended over 27 years ago.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

The coins being destroyed wouldn't have effected the Zords to my knowledge, indeed all of the Season 3 Zords survived that season(as did all of the ones from Zeo, as well as Dragon Zord, Titanus, Tor, and Artillatron if we extend this to the rest of the Zordon era Zords)

Not destroying or otherwise properly writing off all the stuff from Zeo has basically left a giant gaping question of "why has no one ever gone and dug that stuff back up either for the original users to use again or to give to a new team"* outside of Tommy using Zeo 5 during Forever Red and later integrating it into his multi morpher

I've long assumed they had, and that there are other rangers elsewhere that we never get to see from time to time. Clearly Tommy was having adventures off on his own. Why not everybody else?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is anyone still reading the Boom! comics? It's been on a pretty interesting new arc so far.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Speculation, but spoilering in case folks are avoiding the trailer

Looks like Robo Rita shrinks/transforms Tommy, Jason, and Kimberly to explain their absence.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blaze Dragon posted:

MMPR ended over 27 years ago.

I'm aware of this, but I was also a believer post-Megaforce that I no longer wanted to see JDF in the costume with the helmet off because it just looked so drat goofy to see those costumes on someone of an advanced age. I suspect I'm in for a lot of that sort of thing. Voiceover atop stuntmen in full costume is fine, of course.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm aware of this, but I was also a believer post-Megaforce that I no longer wanted to see JDF in the costume with the helmet off because it just looked so drat goofy to see those costumes on someone of an advanced age. I suspect I'm in for a lot of that sort of thing. Voiceover atop stuntmen in full costume is fine, of course.

I have good news and bad news for you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I heard some folks talking Amy Jo would have done it but only if she could directed since that's her main focus now. Shame they didn't bite.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That trailer makes it look like Zack and Billy are the main ones leading the team in this. Poor Rocky is the only red ranger who never gets to lead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't forget aurico

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Original Pink Power Ranger Amy Jo Johnson writing a new Power Rangers comic book series with Boom! Studios.

quote:

Debuting the series next year, Johnson collaborated with her partner and director Matt Hotson to co-write it. She recalls coming up with the idea before the pandemic hit in 2020. “I was daydreaming about it and mentioned it to my boyfriend, Matt. He said, ‘Why don’t you try to write it as a comic book?'” Johnson tells Variety. “We had all the time on our hands, so we daydreamed up this entire comic book series knowing the 30th anniversary was coming.”

The new comic series is something that Johnson has been elated about for quite some time. “It has been so hard to sit on this and not talk about it for a year — three, really,” Johnson says. And she promises that the new series would be “different” from the original, “in the sense that it’s my version.”

For inspiration, she went back and watched the original episodes — for the first time. “I honestly had never watched [‘Mighty Morphin Power Rangers’],” Johnson says.

After leaving the series in 1995, Johnson says she “just moved on” from “Power Rangers” and had no idea about the fan outrage that ensued. “I didn’t even know they were [upset]. There was no internet, there was no social media.”

She says working on the set of “Power Rangers” had its flaws. The series was non-union and she made roughly $700 an episode. Oblivious to unions and the benefits that she could have received, Johnson admits she was “just excited to be working as an actor. I was getting paid more than I’ve ever been paid on a job a week.” She adds, “I matured, grew older and found out what was safe and normal.”

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

well, that's pretty neat. good for her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AJ's also responded to people who assume they didn't pay her enough to do the special. She pointed, not unfairly, that maybe she can't fly to New Zealand for however long or just didn't want to wear spandex in her fifties. (I'm sure the pay scale wasn't great, mind.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s fair, I would have loved to see her again but Kat’s good too and it’s nice they got Walter Jones, Richard Horvitz, Barbara Goodson and probably most impressively, David Yost back for this at least.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dawgstar posted:

AJ's also responded to people who assume they didn't pay her enough to do the special. She pointed, not unfairly, that maybe she can't fly to New Zealand for however long or just didn't want to wear spandex in her fifties. (I'm sure the pay scale wasn't great, mind.)

Counterpoint: New Zealand is lovely and she missed an opportunity for a nice working holiday.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, on her dime

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They fly you there and give you a hotel room I'm pretty sure. At least I think that's what Cardenas said when I was talking to him about his experience with Dimensions in Danger.

It is true they didn't pay anybody flight expenses for super Megaforce though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dunno if the recent acquisitions changed the way things went but basically all the reuniin/cameos were the folks doing it on their dime aside from whatever scale they were paid for their work.

As in book a plane+hotel yourself, bucko.