Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I tried to start watching Picard season 3, made it to episode 2 where Raffi is having a conversation with her former? husband on the crime planet and just kept rolling my eyes at the plot exposition dialogue, and just switched the episode off in disgust saying out loud "Holy poo poo this is bad." I'm not insane, right?

God *drat* Strange New Worlds felt sooo much better than this drivel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Dessel posted:

I tried to start watching Picard season 3, made it to episode 2 where Raffi is having a conversation with her former? husband on the crime planet and just kept rolling my eyes at the plot exposition dialogue, and just switched the episode off in disgust saying out loud "Holy poo poo this is bad." I'm not insane, right?

I can't speak to whether you are insane or not. But I'd argue this demonstrates that you have, at least on some level, a discerning palate for dramatic presentation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dessel posted:

This is the correct response to the images and audio you have been shown.

I would say this season of Picard is worse than every season of Home Improvement, which should be the worst show ever made. Both gitmo media library kind of shows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

I would say this season of Picard is worse than every season of Home Improvement, which should be the worst show ever made.

Tim Allen took his own crown away with Last Man Standing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dessel posted:

As bad as the dialogue was, the fact that her ex-husband was making GBS threads on Raffi despite him being the one who operates a slum bar where passed out drug addicts litter the corridors and who rents out a room to a crime lord is what stuck in my craw.

I don't even like Raffi as a character, but was calling bullshit on her behalf.

"Stay away from our son you bad mother!" he cries as he mops up the blood and tosses the headless corpses into the dumpster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vadics evil hand actually has been Picard's pit bull the whole time, that's why we haven't seen it in a while.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dessel posted:

Most people still watching know to zone out whenever Raffi shows up. I wash the dishes or do work or whatever. That's training from the other series.

Ans that's probably what it is. The Picard stuff is generally better but the dumb mystery or Raffi stuff is dumb so I just kind of walk away. And tge Picard stuff has been more satisfying as well as the most normal captain, who is fun.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 3 has been just as bad as Season 2,

This is absolutely unhinged

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Folks I'm just here for the finally well-lit starships in space and that's all I can count on anymore. Maybe Worf chews some scenery.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Stay away from our son you bad mother!" he cries as he mops up the blood and tosses the headless corpses into the dumpster.

Don't you understand? She chose Starfleet over family! Don't ask why her family couldn't come live with her in the post-scarcity utopia.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All crime takes place on the Crime Planet

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alan_Shore posted:

This is absolutely unhinged

The Picard Defender has logged on

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard S3 is fine. It’s got good moments, it’s got bad moments. Just…fine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*points at clock*

New Pickerd approaches.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
S3 has plenty of stupid to roll one’s eyes at, but the high-level incoherence of S2 is unmatched. S3 is schlock with a potential ceiling of, let’s say The Force Awakens.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think S3 is only somewhat better than S2, but since it is drawing characters and references from “good” (old) Trek, people like it more than they otherwise would.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I'm still in the minority that thinks S1 Picard was worse than S2 Picard.

It's like trying to choose between two equally sized pieces of poop, but the first piece of poop literally flipped me off.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gonz posted:

*points at clock*

New Pickerd approaches.

Shields up!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Minidust posted:

S3 has plenty of stupid to roll one’s eyes at, but the high-level incoherence of S2 is unmatched. S3 is schlock with a potential ceiling of, let’s say The Force Awakens.

Comparing it to The Force Awakens is an excellent descriptor. Its worth is purely measured in how it was not as actively bad as its relative predecessor, not in being good itself.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1638622025320390660?s=46&t=8sdmL_tCbMDRpW72FO8bWw

Gonna go ahead and guess that tonight we get a whole bunch of “Please Clap” shots of various Enterprises at the fleet museum when they catch up with Geordi

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1638622025320390660?s=46&t=8sdmL_tCbMDRpW72FO8bWw

Gonna go ahead and guess that tonight we get a whole bunch of “Please Clap” shots of various Enterprises at the fleet museum when they catch up with Geordi

Place your bets: which version of NCC-1701 are we going to see in the Enterprise perp walk? The Jeffries original, or the Discoprise?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Place your bets: which version of NCC-1701 are we going to see in the Enterprise perp walk? The Jeffries original, or the Discoprise?

I’m guessing neither, it’ll be the Refit somehow even though it’s a pile of debris somewhere in the Mutara sector

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

No bloody A, B, C or D.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe Section 31 dug up Kirk's body from Veridian III. Is this them making up a plausible reason to bring back Shatner in the 25th Century? Or reboot the character?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

xerxus posted:

I can't believe Section 31 dug up Kirk's body from Veridian III. Is this them making up a plausible reason to bring back Shatner in the 25th Century? Or reboot the character?

I don't know what the hell the reasoning could be for this, but it's mildly interesting. Unless we somehow get a revived Kirk aboard the rumoured Enterprise-A.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Are they seriously going to steal the loving Bounty lmao

Are they really that bereft or original ideas

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are they seriously going to steal the loving Bounty lmao

Are they really that bereft or original ideas

no

that would mean they would have to create a new set

they don't have money to make new sets.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They need to have Revived Kirk use Genesis Device on the Changeling homeworld and then I laugh myself into a coma.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Christ. I probably won't get around to watching the episode until Friday, but I clicked the hidden text on instinct. I can't tell if those are actual spoilers or just bullshitting, and given this is Picard, I absolutely believe they'll run with any zany nonsense now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

DUN DUN DUN DUN

DUN DUN DUN DUN

DUNNNNNN

DUNNNNNNNNNNN

DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Arc Light posted:

Christ. I probably won't get around to watching the episode until Friday, but I clicked the hidden text on instinct. I can't tell if those are actual spoilers or just bullshitting, and given this is Picard, I absolutely believe they'll run with any zany nonsense now.

Quite real, for what it's worth.

Was nice to see an original configuration Constitution-class ship among the ships at the Starfleet Museum

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I appreciate that they at least put the "Season 5" NX-01 in the fleet museum. That was a nice little touch.

The modernized version of Voyager looked ugly as poo poo though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t even know where to begin with this one. The disparity between the highs and lows is enough to give anyone whiplash.

Good:
- Uhhh Sidney is quietly becoming a great new character
- Jack is also growing on me, his little aside on the bridge with Seven was nice
- Absolutely shocked they resisted the urge to just flat out steal another iconic ship
- It is genuinely nice to see LeVar Burton again

Bad:
- Basically everything on Daystrom
- Genesis II & Kirk’s body :suicide:
- We really couldn’t just let the Klingon thing with Tribbles just rest as a funny absurd mostly unexplained joke, could we? No no no, we have to see embarrassing cgi monster teeth transformation bullshit that makes Worf flinch
- oh god oh no oh jesus we’re really going to finally let Spiner play two dozen characters at once like he’s always wanted
- how many times must Data die to sate this show’s positronic bloodlust
- a loud and violent unexpected guffaw erupted from my body when Lore randomly turned into R2-D2 to show…
- …hahahahaha oh jesus they’re really going to try to incorporate the Picard death poo poo from S1
- Vadic is still a cartoon parody of a Star Trek movie villain

gently caress this terrible show but also I can’t wait for next week

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I also found the dialogue in this episode particularly bad and clunky at times, especially the banter between Worf and Riker. Really Riker’s stuff in general. For some reason his lines came across as written like an action movie lead trying to emulate Bruce Willis.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Same. I’m genuinely interested to see what batshit insane direction they go with this.

*in Bruce Dickinson voice*

I GOTTA HAVE MORE REFERENCES, BABY!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I also found the dialogue in this episode particularly bad and clunky at times, especially the banter between Worf and Riker. Really Riker’s stuff in general. For some reason his lines came across as written like an action movie lead trying to emulate Bruce Willis.

“Look at this one! How much of that goop poo poo did they pour into you?” is straight up something I can hear Korben Dallas saying to one of Zorg’s alien mercenaries.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gonz posted:

“Look at this one! How much of that goop poo poo did they pour into you?” is straight up something I can hear Korben Dallas saying to one of Zorg’s alien mercenaries.

Exactly! Riker’s sarcastic and snarky at times, but that’s a straight up Willis line. No idea what they were thinking.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gonz posted:

Same. I’m genuinely interested to see what batshit insane direction they go with this.

*in Bruce Dickinson voice*

I GOTTA HAVE MORE REFERENCES, BABY!

gently caress y’all this is the most entertaining Star Trek has been since 2009.

I think the direction is going to clearly be A changeling Picard hybrid vs. Positronic Picard. Basically they’re doing a whole mulligan of the Picard story starting from Nemesis and ending Picard season 2

Thread, have you ever been diagnosed as…anhedonic?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

1st AD posted:

gently caress y’all this is the most entertaining Star Trek has been since 2009.

Quote your sources

It ain’t even the most entertaining Trek of the last 12 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If I die, somebody please phaser my corpse into atoms. I don’t want to end up in the Daystrom Station Mad Science Funeral Home.