Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

🌈 Neoliberalism 🌈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I was approximately 15-16 years old when I clicked around this website and read some of the Trans discussions threads. I read one post which stuck with me, close to my heart about this issue ever since, that basically described the struggle for some kind of dignity and peace living with a brain difference that society makes really difficult. It was really eye opening and made me think a lot about the issue in a more personal way that I ever had as someone who is not gender non conforming in anyways.

I dont use the word freak lightly but this british nazi consorting woman to me is a freak, because of how obsessed they are with bathrooms and peoples genitalia, just to make it your lifes purpose at all is on the wrong side of history and freakish

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mweb posted:

I dont use the word freak lightly but this british nazi consorting woman to me is a freak, because of how obsessed they are with bathrooms and peoples genitalia, just to make it your lifes purpose at all is on the wrong side of history and freakish

I've never really understood these people's motivation either. Why do they give so much of a gently caress idgi

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I read this book around 2012 which explained to me in the clearest terms why some people hate gays and trans people so much and try to exert their emotions of disgust in the political realm: https://www.amazon.com/Disgust-Humanity-Orientation-Constitutional-Inalienable/dp/0195305310 .

Disgust is sometimes useful in some kind of protective sense but it is awful for guiding political policy and making societal norms, because disgust is such an unreliable emotion. When you study it, it really exerts itself in all kinds of bad ways.

I imagine in this persons heart, they feel a lot of disgust somehow, like their brain is breaking on considering anything out of the gender binary, or they learned of some anecdotal abusive trans person so much so that they have made their lifes purpose to combat their internal feeling. Well The thing is, there are lots of people who feel disgusted by lots of things, as a society we teach that we shouldn't listen to those people, because they are expressing a personal feeling rather than anything of political substance. Indeed, even though many dont recognize it, we have many norms developed as part of a democracy to oppose such speech.

edit : oh and just to add, some people are narcissists or grifters too, but the reason why they think they can "get away with it" by demonizing a minority group usually preys on peoples lizard brain icky feelings about bodies and stuff

mweb fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the motivation is that they see all the same things wrong with the world that everyone else sees but where a leftist sees capitalism as the cause of poverty they see the poor as the cause of criticisms of capital. because societies and systems don't exist, only individuals labouring under frameworks of restriction like "you can't say the n word" or "what do you mean i have to pay you not to work for four weeks"

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

exmarx posted:

my personal opinion about that british freak is that nz should have an extremely high bar for doing border hawk stuff

I tend to agree but I think she clears that bar easily

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing good ever came of letting the British in

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
So many labour mps have posted on their social media's on how much they disaprove of her and that they stand with the trans community. Its rings so hollow to a ridiculous degree lol.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A point that was made was these people say they are standing up for women. But they are completely silent on the real issues affecting women, like pay parity, access to healthcare etc. The only thing they are wanting is to hate on a group of people they see as outsiders.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Good morning
https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2023/03/22/posie-parker-nz-free-speech-and-the-trans-debate-tragedy/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

So many labour mps have posted on their social media's on how much they disaprove of her and that they stand with the trans community. Its rings so hollow to a ridiculous degree lol.

Their thoughts and prayers are with the trans community

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bomber continuing to drop deuces.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

You are not tricking me into clicking that link.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What on earth

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

No warning on a bomber article should be a ban.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

You are not tricking me into clicking that link.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
In other news

https://twitter.com/RichardHills_/status/1638721054163226626?s=20

https://twitter.com/HendoWest/status/1638736405869514752?s=20

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What? A bunch of knee-jerk reactions aside, what the hell is that all about?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

wayne wanted it so you can reasonably infer it'll be bad for everyone that isn't him

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't get it

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Pretty simple.

https://twitter.com/RichardHills_/status/1638723255187173377

Gotta cut every single cent possible! Nothing is worse than rates going up!!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

quote:

The mayor said he did not see much benefit to being part of LGNZ.

Brown said he and his band once played a gig for an LGNZ conference and he was not impressed with what he saw - claiming members were "completely pissed, all night long" with no benefit to ratepayers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

brown out here admitting nobody's ever invited him to an industry conference so he has no idea how they work

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Possible the only time in recorded history a band has been angry at the audience for being too drunk.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

He doesn't seem a very happy person

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He just wants everybody to get to his level of unhappiness.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

I got to "biological women" and instinctively hit the back button in disgust

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/MayorAuckland/status/1638723759376044033

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

I got to "biological women" and instinctively hit the back button in disgust

I got as far as “Trans woke dogma” before closing it in disgust/frustration. I don’t really know why I expected anything other than hand wringing apologies to the Nazis from bomber.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The mayor said he did not see much benefit to being part of LGNZ.

Brown said he and his band once played a gig for an LGNZ conference and he was not impressed with what he saw - claiming members were "completely pissed, all night long" with no benefit to ratepayers.

I for one, am shocked that conference goers would be drunk and dancing during the time they had a band playing.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
If you think the article's bad, wait until you see the comments!!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I for one, am shocked that conference goers would be drunk and dancing during the time they had a band playing.

Apparently, Wayne's memory is lacking because the event was probably the community board conference with minimal association with LGNZ. But that's coming from a biased source (head of LGNZ)

I also saw that leaving LGNZ means Auckland may not get to realise the benefits of a streetlight dimming scheme which could be up to $1M a year.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

exmarx posted:

Stuff – Largest and best news website.

Editor's picks: sports, advertising pretending to be news, and naked clickbait for the token politics entry. Is this seriously the best we have to offer? :smithicide:

e: i have no idea why that white void is at the bottom of my screenshot. it doesn't usually do that but it's effort to fix and a white void seems appropriate anyway so i'm leaving it in

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nz media is a white void

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slavvy posted:

Nz media is a white void

:thejoke:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

you get what you paid for and some dumbass paid $1 for it

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Whats good nz media? I pretty much rely on rnz and twitter and maybe spinoff once in a while for my nz news.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
hell pizza in the bookmarks bar much

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Whats good nz media? I pretty much rely on rnz and twitter and maybe spinoff once in a while for my nz news.

there's no "good" NZ media but yeah I read RNZ for mostly neutral reporting of current events and NZHerald to get a feel for the ~*°•discourse•°*~

I follow re: news on Instagram too, it's the TVNZ offshoot targeted at zoomers and they produce interesting content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

exmarx posted:

hell pizza in the bookmarks bar much

lmao