Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ginette Reno posted:

The Penguins are back. Two Jeff Carter goals. Gonna ride that wave baby

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1638731683343237121
Also neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m genuinely surprised it wasn’t Ovi first

Eta: lmao I forgot about the lockout

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
N: So I've got the Steve Dangle Podcast on in the background while I do other poo poo, and abruptly I hear some stats so absolutely heinous I have to go back, rewind, and hear it again. I highly recommend listening to their reaction to these numbers.

Well, unless you're a fan of the Flames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhrw0Iatzf0&t=5370s

V: Seriously, holy poo poo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreyMichaela/status/1638723503431221250

For anyone that says players wouldn't accept a gay teammate cause its a distraction or whatever

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's rad as gently caress, good for them

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

vancouver released a statement about pride night that pointedly did not mention warm up jerseys so everyone is assuming they're not going to wear them

i can't decide if it would be funnier if it's to protect kuzmenko or if it's to protect jt miller

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

gently caress off vancouver, must you fail at everything

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oilers out there proving they're a hair better than the Coyotes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

Stars just had their pride night and Evgeni Dadonov wore the jersey, no mention of any "legal problems" for him back home in Russia

It's complete bullshit lol. They are making it up out of whole cloth to pretend to have a reason to not do the pride night outside of "our players are bigots"

A TEXAS team was not the problem child for this new fuckup in the league.

The NHL should be ashamed.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Island Nation posted:

At this point, what teams have had a pride night without controversy? Either a bible thumper or russian have derailed every attempt I've seen

Caps one was in January. I remember nothing about it so the Russians must not have been threatened. I don't think they've done the jerseys before though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like the Bruins did a Hockey is for Everyone night for theirs, and also had minority, disabled and women’s hockey players represented so they did tape because they were also wearing ASL shirts at the same time.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

is this why Marchand deleted his twitter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

is this why Marchand deleted his twitter?

wasn't he chirping at fans of other teams who tagged him? probably the kind of thing that's wise to delete an account over, even if it's not actually a Big Problem

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Carlson is back tonight. Surely the Caps will now deliver on their 1% chance to make the playoffs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Connor has 60. He's pretty good and everyone here should celebrate him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’d hate that.

We should instead all drink a nice glass of room temperature water alongside some unseasoned chicken breast, and then get to sleep early in our featureless black bedroom.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

For anyone that says players wouldn't accept a gay teammate cause its a distraction or whatever

John Amaechi gave an interview last year (or maybe the year before) and he said quite unequivocally that it's the management and media that are the problem, not the players.

e: Here we go

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/07/11/john-amaechi-where-are-they-now-2022-daily-cover

quote:

“You want the gay people to come out? Change the a--holes around them, and not just the teammates, because they mostly don’t care—but equipment managers and weight coaches and administrators and team owners, who we all know are a progressive group, and the overarching organizations, one of which has just finished constructively dismissing an athlete for taking a knee. Yeah, that’s a safe place to come out.” He chuckles sarcastically. “It’s the weakest of organizations that say [the lack of out athletes] is about stupid jocks who would beat you up in the locker room.” (For what it’s worth: Rivers, now the coach of the 76ers, agrees that teammates wouldn’t be the issue, if they ever were. “It would be uncomfortable in the locker room for a very short time,” he says. “Very short, like a day or two. If the guy can play, they don’t care.”)

Amaechi leans forward now. “We’re focusing on the wrong people. You want gay people [to come] out? Make it so it’s not so s----y. Make it so that someone can still look at you and see what you’ve achieved. Then maybe people will deserve that disclosure.”

This is a point Amaechi returns to repeatedly: Why is the burden so often placed on athletes to come out? “Disclosure is earned. It’s not about honesty. It’s personal and private information about me that people who give a s--- about me deserve to know—and people who don’t, don’t. If you toss your beer at me through the tunnel as I walk away, do you deserve anything?”

The whole piece is excellent and you gotta read it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

He’d hate that.

We should instead all drink a nice glass of room temperature water alongside some unseasoned chicken breast, and then get to sleep early in our featureless black bedroom.

You can celebrate him however you see fit, like people who do Christmas a week early so they can go to Cancun

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You can celebrate him however you see fit, like people who do Christmas a week early so they can go to Cancun

Celebrate Leon too. Those passes last night were filthy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

John Amaechi gave an interview last year (or maybe the year before) and he said quite unequivocally that it's the management and media that are the problem, not the players.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/07/11/john-amaechi-where-are-they-now-2022-daily-cover

This was a great article thank you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Management causing the problem while blaming labor players for it? Why I never!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He’d hate that.

Hey now, Connor knows how to have a good time

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Danny LaFever posted:

Celebrate Leon too. Those passes last night were filthy.

He gets his own day when he sets a personal high in points.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Imagine being in the US "land of the free" and being dictated to by Putin to not wear a jersey.

You suck loving balls Chicago and I hope you never win anything ever again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Russian fear stuff is total bullshit. They had a night to support Ukraine, but wearing a pride jersey stokes fear?

Edit: There's also this article explaining how the law is actually implemented in Russia (the law sucks and is awful, but noone is going to the gulag for wearing a pride jersey in Minneapolis)

https://hockeyinsociety.com/2023/03/22/its-not-the-russians-why-the-new-excuse-for-teams-not-wearing-pride-jerseys-doesnt-hold-up/

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 23, 2023

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

He’d hate that.

https://twitter.com/NG3400/status/1633128550076235780

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Management causing the problem while blaming labor players for it? Why I never!

The equipment manager line has a certain extra resonance given that we're talking about Chicago.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Speaking of equipment managers, it's been a year since the Red Wings fired their Zamboni driver for peeing into a drain. Justice for Al Sobotka.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy gently caress keep that whacko in Edmonton for the rest of all time.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hope he's enjoying a big bag of licorice today.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I guess the tradeoff for being extremely talented at something is being devoid of any personality.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Black licorice is good and if you eat too much you die so there are health benefits too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Diet Crack posted:

I guess the tradeoff for being extremely talented at something is being devoid of any personality.

Given what it takes to develop from talented child to NHL player, yeah. Pretty much.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

Black licorice is good and if you eat too much you die so there are health benefits too.

I hope McDavid is absolutely stuffing his face right now

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I hope McDavid is absolutely stuffing his face right now

It raises your blood pressure which only makes McDavid faster.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

this is tremendous. I completely forgot he was here in Toledo for high school.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1638921355688292353

https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1638921256769847297

Hurray, Paul Maurice and the Panthers are at least doing the bare minimum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Give the NHL the middle finger and wear the jerseys for the game too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is more than the bare minimum given that it's Florida and deSantis already threatened the Panthers once over the NHL job fair where the NHL included a call for "applicants from underrepresented backgrounds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor's dangles are sweeter than black licorice