Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i will be devastated if it comes out that hakuho was dirty as gently caress but used his connections to skate or paid others to take the blame. i need that man to be unambiguously good. nuance is for cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Day 9 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
32	MyChemicalImbalance
29	LlamaTrauma
28	GoatSeeGuy
28	Marching Powder
26	Banana Canada
26	NuclearPotato
25	Akiosan
25	Iron Chef Nex
25	Mode 7
25	pseudodragon
25	Vargatron
24	anakha
24	Everyones Favorite Poster
24	Thauros
24	Tiny Bug Child
23	Jobbo_Fett
23	MalarkeyToboggan
22.5	Ice Phisherman
22.5	Saturnine Aberrance
22	Kenning
22	ratmosphere
21.5	Teddybear
21	sivad
21	Tochiazuma
20.5	bartolimu
20.5	Fluffdaddy
20.5	Helianthus Annuus
20	captainblastum
20	Eli949
19.5	Kuros
19.5	scripterror
19	Khizan
18.5	Liquid Communism
17	Pakled
16.5	Netsky
14.5	Flinger
14	Crusty Nutsack
13.5	Communist Thoughts
13	Charles Gnarwin
Juryo
code:
30	QuasiQuack
30	Robviously
28	Average Lettuce
28	Beexoffel
28	Lid
28	PJ
27	ullerrm
26	Brut
26	Single Tight Female
24	bessantj
24	Fearless
24	Gaghskull
24	Log082
23.5	Eldoop
23	do it on my face
23	Nativity In Black
23	riderchop
22	Elissimpark
21.5	rare Magic card l00k
20.5	whats for dinner
20	Dead Goon
20	Samuel L. Hacksaw
19	oldskool
19	Pvt. Public
18.5	Boogalo
18.5	ImplicitAssembler
17.5	Ben Nerevarine
17.5	Chinook
16.5	Bentai
16.5	Xerzes

Marching Powder posted:

i will be devastated if it comes out that hakuho was dirty as gently caress but used his connections to skate or paid others to take the blame. i need that man to be unambiguously good. nuance is for cowards.

The worst that could happen would be to learn that he was like, a real life Bad Guy (sex pest etc.), and I've never heard any hint of that, thank god. In terms of his sumo career, part of the reason he got to be Hakuho was that even though all the old fogeys found him very annoying, he was pretty much unassailable as an athlete and a competitor. He henka'd, he used harite, he did weird stuff like in that Shodai match, but he never broke the rules or fixed matches. No way that would stay secret given his high profile. So they had to just grumble about dignity or "proper yokozuna sumo" or whatever while he continued to dominate up to his final bout. What a guy.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 21, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Shodai.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Marching Powder posted:

he really is. i liken him to lebron in the sense that they had massive expectations placed upon them while they were still actual children and not only did they meet those absurd expectations, they surpassed them. i'll tell you what lebron hasn't had to do yet, and that's become the example to look towards for an entire nation that isn't his and an important figure in the rituals of a foreign religion.

i don't know how he lived and competed for so long where every single thing he did on and off of the dohyo was scrutinised by weird racists and all the while dodging all of the massive and minor scandals because... being a yokozuna meant something to him.

The fact that being the best at pushing around mostly fat, sometimes muscular guys in a ring made of rice straw bales on top of stamped clay makes you a kind of religious figure is wild to me.

Like what if Christianity got the book of Spalding as an addition to the new testament and being the best at b-ball made you into a priest or some poo poo. Because sumo basically is the marriage of sport and religion even though most people are probably into it for the spectacle.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 21, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kenning posted:

Day 9 standings:

Hey, after an horrible start, I'm doing pretty well! Glad I stuck with Oho and Hokutofuji (and got assigned Midorifuji even though he wasn't my first pick).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna say it: I'm against Shodai. posting

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The companion bout to the Shodai weirdness is Tobizaru pulling that move on the GOAT earlier in the week, a moment I like to imagine flipped the switch for the flying monkey and gave Hak some inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv3oN49WqVA

I missed most of Hak's career but that final Basho? :perfect:

also refusing to acknowledge my fantasy performance so far, still a lot of sumo to go!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Juryo day 10: This might have been Tochinoshin's last bout, almost certainly this basho, but I think ever. Although on second glance all historical precedent shows that finishing 3-12 will still have him in Juryo next basho, so maybe he'll give it another go.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Beeswax posted:

I'm gonna say it: I'm against Shodai. posting

Why don't ya go warm up about it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takarafuji .. what ya doin’ man? I know he won today but he just looks so incredibly soft-touch. The tachiai felt like he just stood up and strolled towards Bushozan. The slapping fight felt so half-hearted. I know he’s on the verge of makekoshi but he just feels so incredibly sad-sack right now, like he’s just showing up to a job he hates day in and day out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

some kinda jackal posted:

Takarafuji .. what ya doin’ man? I know he won today but he just looks so incredibly soft-touch. The tachiai felt like he just stood up and strolled towards Bushozan. The slapping fight felt so half-hearted. I know he’s on the verge of makekoshi but he just feels so incredibly sad-sack right now, like he’s just showing up to a job he hates day in and day out.

Eh he's the 4th oldest guy in the top division right now, injures start stacking up and having to practice with Terunofuji, Midorifuji and Nishikifuji is probably doing more harm than good at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he retires this year or maybe next.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Takarafuji hasn't looked right for half a year now. That lower body's probably giving out already.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Kenning posted:

Any kyujo that occur on days 8-15 will be auto-traded, using the draft picks provided before the basho. Any player can freely modify their draft picks on days 1-7 to account for possible kyujo in week 2, and the modified picks will be used for week 2 kyujo auto-trades (accommodating the wire etc.). If a given set of picks can't be used because of the wire and precedence, these are the whims of a cruel fate, and no trade will take place.

Thanks for the peachy explanation/reminder as always, and I'll see if I can actually remember that next time one of my boys goes late-tourney kyujo!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anakha posted:

Yeah, Takarafuji hasn't looked right for half a year now. That lower body's probably giving out already.

Brut posted:

Eh he's the 4th oldest guy in the top division right now, injures start stacking up and having to practice with Terunofuji, Midorifuji and Nishikifuji is probably doing more harm than good at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he retires this year or maybe next.

Yeah I think this is kind of what I’m building to — just retire already my man, you’re causing me deep immense sadness; And as with all things sports, it’s my feelings that should direct an individual’s actions :colbert:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Not sure if this all needs spoilered, but I'll continue on. I get the impression that unless someone is actively injured, there's a bit of pressure/expectation to keep going until they just can't anymore. Tochinoshin hasn't looked good for several tournaments now and yet he's still going (well at least until today if I take the other comments here). You'd still see sparks of old Tochi every once in a while, but his knees are just loving gone, and he's still here.

Conversely, it's also really impressive that Tamawashi has managed to stay healthy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I think it's clear that Tochi is holding on for as long as he can remain in the salaried ranks, to maximize earnings for the inevitable post-retirement life.

Kaisei, Shohozan, and Kotoyuuki are also examples of this. I'm honestly surprised Tokushoryu has continued on despite dropping from juryo before and looking like he'll do so again.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ice Phisherman posted:

The fact that being the best at pushing around mostly fat, sometimes muscular guys in a ring made of rice straw bales on top of stamped clay makes you a kind of religious figure is wild to me.

Like what if Christianity got the book of Spalding as an addition to the new testament and being the best at b-ball made you into a priest or some poo poo. Because sumo basically is the marriage of sport and religion even though most people are probably into it for the spectacle.

Sumo is a Shinto ritual at its roots, though, so...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good old !hothole

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For Tochi specifically, most Ozeki level guys retire before they drop too far. If anything, there's pressure the other way to save dignity and not disappear into the masses. Of course most of those guys have/can get a kabu for retirement so they have something to fall back on, but everyone else probably has to hang on because what else are they going to do?

Looking at all the past Ozeki, it looks like there's 2 retirement points for non-injury. Either right after losing Ozeki like Goeido or they'll do one tourney at Juryo to see if they can bounce back and if both that's it. Went back to look at Ozeki going back to the start of the 6 basho era and unless I missed someone, I can't see anyone that ended their career with more than 1 Juryo basho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

For Tochi specifically, most Ozeki level guys retire before they drop too far. If anything, there's pressure the other way to save dignity and not disappear into the masses. Of course most of those guys have/can get a kabu for retirement so they have something to fall back on, but everyone else probably has to hang on because what else are they going to do?

Looking at all the past Ozeki, it looks like there's 2 retirement points for non-injury. Either right after losing Ozeki like Goeido or they'll do one tourney at Juryo to see if they can bounce back and if both that's it. Went back to look at Ozeki going back to the start of the 6 basho era and unless I missed someone, I can't see anyone that ended their career with more than 1 Juryo basho.

this is a little different obv but terunofuji tried gutting it out in juryo for two tournaments before he took four basho off and obv mounted a sucessful comeback

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Thauros posted:

this is a little different obv but terunofuji tried gutting it out in juryo for two tournaments before he took four basho off and obv mounted a sucessful comeback

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be the couple of folks who got wins off of Terunofuji on his way back up. Like that Sandanme loss was to Daishosei, who has never left Sandanme. You think he still goes "yeah, I might be stuck here, but at least I beat the Yokozuna that one time."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Teddybear posted:

You think he still goes "yeah, I might be stuck here, but at least I beat the Yokozuna that one time."

if i'd beaten teru at any level of fitness i'd have it printed on shirts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Thauros posted:

Sure but Terunofuji just turned 31 (now, not at the time). Tochinoshin's Ozeki-level period was also extremely short, including these crucial basho:

In total, he has 7 Basho as Ozeki, 5 as Sekiwake and 8 as Komusubi. I don't wanna go as far as to say that his promotion was a fluke, but like, 2 tournaments before this he was getting 4-11 at M1, it's really hard to compare this to recent examples such as Kotoshogiku (32 Basho at Ozeki), Goeido (33 Basho at Ozeki), or even Takayasu (15 Basho at Ozeki)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

pseudodragon posted:

I suspect geopolitics have something to do with it too. He may not want to go back to Georgia just now, with Russia rattling sabers at everyone around them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tochinoshin's ozeki run had the most important quality of being Really loving Cool regardless of what happened before or after

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tochi getting ozeki back with 10 wins got me into sumo. Bless him

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kenning posted:

Luckily, there shouldn't be 20 inches of rain in the Bay Area during the March tournament, and also I should probably take another pass and automate even more of my spreadsheet.

Not 20 inches, but winds gusting to 60+ mph dropping trees and taking out my power. This is a very trying winter.

Day 10 standings:
code:
33.5	MyChemicalImbalance
32.5	LlamaTrauma
29.5	Akiosan
29.5	GoatSeeGuy
29.5	Marching Powder
27.5	Banana Canada
27.5	NuclearPotato
26.5	Iron Chef Nex
25.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
25.5	Kenning
25.5	Mode 7
25.5	Thauros
25.5	Tiny Bug Child
25.5	Vargatron
25	pseudodragon
24.5	anakha
24	Teddybear
23.5	Ice Phisherman
23.5	MalarkeyToboggan
23.5	Saturnine Aberrance
23	Fluffdaddy
23	Helianthus Annuus
22.5	Jobbo_Fett
22	bartolimu
21.5	ratmosphere
21.5	sivad
21	Liquid Communism
21	scripterror
20.5	captainblastum
20.5	Eli949
20.5	Khizan
20.5	Tochiazuma
20	Kuros
18	Netsky
17.5	Crusty Nutsack
17.5	Pakled
16	Communist Thoughts
15	Flinger
13.5	Charles Gnarwin
Juryo
code:
33	Robviously
32.5	QuasiQuack
30.5	Average Lettuce
30.5	Lid
29.5	Beexoffel
29.5	PJ
28.5	ullerrm
27.5	Brut
27.5	Single Tight Female
27	Eldoop
26.5	Fearless
25.5	do it on my face
25.5	Gaghskull
24.5	bessantj
24.5	Log082
24.5	Nativity In Black
24	rare Magic card l00k
23.5	Elissimpark
23.5	riderchop
23	whats for dinner
21.5	Dead Goon
21	Boogalo
20.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
19.5	oldskool
19.5	Pvt. Public
19	Ben Nerevarine
19	Chinook
18	Bentai
18	ImplicitAssembler
18	Xerzes

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Man Ozeki Tochinoshin doesn’t feel like 4 years ago

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Every part of my current success this basho has been due to not understanding drafting rules/being behind a couple of days and not realising how dire certain situations were.

In this way, I like to think I have embodied the spirit of Shodai

Edit: huh. Turns out my brother is going to be there tomorrow! Any advice I can pass on? Feel like I remember some previous comments suggesting going later in the day and skipping lower division bouts?

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 22, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I was shocked to see that Tochinoshin was still fighting today.

Some good matches, both in Juryo and in Makuuchi.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

Yeah, Teru's an obvious exception, but dude was just 26 so a comeback was more plausible. And IIRC, he was seriously considering retirement and had to be talked out of it by his stable master.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 11

I love that Hoshoryu keeps blowing up all these henka attempts. Keep that weak crap away from him!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thoughts through Day 11

First and foremost, it's been extremely fulfilling to watch Ryuden eating poo poo every loving day. Suck it down, rear end in a top hat. It's well deserved.
Midorifuji is doing so well, it's great to see. He dropped one today but maybe he can still hold on? Here's hoping.
Seeing both Waka bros in sanyaku seems possible, if WTK can keep his poo poo together going forward. WMH has looked like the stronger bro for a couple of basho now.
Hoshoryu is getting better about acting impassive after a fight. Back in the day he would've looked furious at a henka attempt, today he just calmly dunked on Endo and walked away. I suspect he's been talked to about "Ozeki bearing" or some tired old trope. The old men are likely to appreciate the effort.
And finally, Daishoho hasn't been in the top division since loving 2019. He was in the Maegashira ranks when I started watching sumo, and it's been awesome watching him make a very strong case for belonging up there once again. He's one away from a kk already.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 11
Very fun matches today. Really hoping Midorifuji can finish strong. Would hate to see Daieisho take the yusho. The guy is excellent at what he does, it's just a boring style to watch.

Also, very happy to see wily old Chiyoshoma get his KK.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Kisenosato/Hakuho rivaly is heating up, now that two-time amateur yokozuna Daiki Nakamura has joined Nishonoseki, which is run by Kisenosato:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/03/23/sumo/nakamura-nishonoseki-stable/

Sumo good.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
lmfao I knew that sounded familiar

I was gonna ask if they're related but since they also share first names, probably not?

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 23, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Day12: OHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 12: I guess that's it for Hoshoryo's hopes for the yusho, but it has been a pretty good showing after a bad start. Daieisho should run away with it, he has already fought all the top guys. Oho was the only one today providing points to my fantasy!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Brut posted:

Hell yeah, that was completely unexpected and great to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Brut posted:

Chaos Sumo!