Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

I have become obsessed with Kurt Ballou's production and I've conjured up some pretty satanic brutal death metal tones using STL Tones Tonehub pluggy. Gonna try and record a jam and post it for y'all this weekend.

Heck yeah, please share.

a.p. dent posted:

next song ready... i gave myself a challenge with the strumming on this one https://soundcloud.com/user-656458997/in-the-buds

Each of these you've posted has been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

Each of these you've posted has been great.

thank you!!

i'd love to keep up the pace of maybe a song a week, but it's hard to without accountability. throwing this out there: would anybody be interested in a thread to share new recordings, or something like that? i'm exploring different options, curious if there's any interest in ML

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Heck yeah, please share.

This is another jam I made with an imaginary internet band using dropbox. Lemme know what you think. (It's a hardcore/deathmetal kinda thing about putting pineapple on your pizza.)

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-vickery/headcrusher-by-locked-goose

Gramps fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 23, 2023

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
How much more metal can a guitar get?

This helps, I guess.

80s Hondo 766 V with an SD Black Winter. A late B-day present to myself. I think the hardware needs to be changed to black.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Are the screws under the B & G strings different from the others?

I want a V some day

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Paint the neck black, the fretboard too. Paint the board matte black and the fret markers gloss black. All black, the blackest.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Are the screws under the B & G strings different from the others?

I want a V some day

Yeah, none of them are correct, likely got stripped and replaced. Bridge is locked down, anyway, so they're not going to affect anything.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

This is another jam I made with an imaginary internet band using dropbox. Lemme know what you think. (It's a hardcore/deathmetal kinda thing about putting pineapple on your pizza.)

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-vickery/headcrusher-by-locked-goose

loving the name locked goose. this sounds great - you nailed the tone and i usually don't go for this type of mid-tempo death metal but your riff writing has lots of groove and i was digging it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

loving the name locked goose. this sounds great - you nailed the tone and i usually don't go for this type of mid-tempo death metal but your riff writing has lots of groove and i was digging it.

It was for the collab smash contest for URM and the prompt that month was Knocked Loose. We didn't even make the final cut. I won 3 months in a row with my other imaginary internet band. I can post those too if you wanna hear em.

Edit: gently caress it. here ya go. I'm sure I've shared this stuff before but whatever
https://open.spotify.com/artist/6CbXtDMffdgMUBpF9pCMPW

This is six random internet dudes who met through a facebook group swapping dropbox files. The rhythm and melodic lead stuff is me and I did a lot of arranging and came up with the a lot of the concepts for the songs and the imagery. The crazy pyrotechnic guitar stuff is Kevin the other guitar player who is an absolute maniac of a player. The drums and mixing were done by another dude Mike at the very last minute and he crushed it every time. As for the prompts, Blod was Humanity's Last Breath/Vildhjarta, Miasma was Shadow of Intent/Beyond Creation, and Deluge was Opeth. Not sure how well we nailed the prompts but we made some pretty sick music together.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 23, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

It was for the collab smash contest for URM and the prompt that month was Knocked Loose. We didn't even make the final cut. I won 3 months in a row with my other imaginary internet band. I can post those too if you wanna hear em.

absolutely

also interested in seeing that tone in tonehub or anything else you've dialed in

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

absolutely

also interested in seeing that tone in tonehub or anything else you've dialed in

Edited my post. Would love to hear what you think.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gramps posted:

Edit: gently caress it. here ya go. I'm sure I've shared this stuff before but whatever
https://open.spotify.com/artist/6CbXtDMffdgMUBpF9pCMPW

This is six random internet dudes who met through a facebook group swapping dropbox files. The rhythm and melodic lead stuff is me and I did a lot of arranging and came up with the a lot of the concepts for the songs and the imagery. The crazy pyrotechnic guitar stuff is Kevin the other guitar player who is an absolute maniac of a player. The drums and mixing were done by another dude Mike at the very last minute and he crushed it every time. As for the prompts, Blod was Humanity's Last Breath/Vildhjarta, Miasma was Shadow of Intent/Beyond Creation, and Deluge was Opeth. Not sure how well we nailed the prompts but we made some pretty sick music together.

Man, this is really good!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Man, this is really good!

Thanks man! Anyone has questions about any guitar/recording related stuff on any of these recordings please let me know.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

Edited my post. Would love to hear what you think.

yeah, these are fantastic. i listen to a lot of metal and if i heard those three vanagandr songs as a demo i'd be excited about a hypothetical upcoming record.

i think the thing that impresses me the most is that even though you're writing for prompts to sound like certain bands, your songwriting voice still shines through.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

widefault posted:

This helps, I guess.

80s Hondo 766 V with an SD Black Winter. A late B-day present to myself. I think the hardware needs to be changed to black.

Only way to be more metal would be replacing the neck with an aluminium one.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

yeah, these are fantastic. i listen to a lot of metal and if i heard those three vanagandr songs as a demo i'd be excited about a hypothetical upcoming record.

i think the thing that impresses me the most is that even though you're writing for prompts to sound like certain bands, your songwriting voice still shines through.

Yeah we were definitely going for a more consistent sound and just using the prompts as a jumping off point to start writing. Where we went from there didn't matter. I definitely tried to incorporate elements of the various band's sounds like the whammy pedal stuff aping Vildhjarta, and the persistent melodic motif in Deluge was trying to just be super melodic like Opeth

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

Yeah we were definitely going for a more consistent sound and just using the prompts as a jumping off point to start writing. Where we went from there didn't matter. I definitely tried to incorporate elements of the various band's sounds like the whammy pedal stuff aping Vildhjarta, and the persistent melodic motif in Deluge was trying to just be super melodic like Opeth

did your online crew ever write anything outside of the contests?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

widefault posted:

This helps, I guess.

Put a killswitch where the volume knob is.

Only way it could be cooler.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Malaria posted:

Put a killswitch where the volume knob is.

Only way it could be cooler.

just wire it direct like karl sanders

in making this post i discovered the current karl sanders sig has two pickups with a three-way switch and a volume knob, which is way lamer than the old "here's a bridge pickup wired direct to the jack" sig

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

did your online crew ever write anything outside of the contests?

Not as a group, at least not yet. I just hit the boys up again to see what they're up to so maybe we can get some poo poo goin again. I think everyone but me is a full time time musician/engineer except for Ted who is a JetBlue pilot/mastering engineer, so those dudes have a ton of poo poo they've worked on.

Michael who programmed the drums and mixed everything pretty consistently makes good poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlRqDdjUjg

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dude that tone sounds great. I am obsessed with Kurt Ballou productions too. High on Fire is going to Salem this week to record with him (again). Wheeeeeeeee

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

wrote the fuckin sickest thing i've ever written today.

style very much evolving to like, jazz influenced shell voicings and substitutions but down low on the fretboard and crunchy as hell

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

style very much evolving to like, jazz influenced shell voicings and substitutions but down low on the fretboard and crunchy as hell

post ur sick jamz plz

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

darkwasthenight posted:

I have a new favourite TGPism:

lmao can't get much better than that

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright guys, can those of you with import guitars with an allen wrench truss rod do me a big favor and just stick it in and tell me how much play you have? I've got myself worked up in a tizzy here and I want to know for sure.

I worry about the amount of play between the allen wrench and the truss rod in my guitars, but I can't figure out what's going on. To keep this succinct and easily understandable I'm just going to list this out

1. It feels like there is a lot of play, more than there should be. My truss rods turn pretty easily, and aren't at any kind of immediate risk of stripping, but I worry about what it might do over the long run in terms of wear.

2. I'm not using the wrong size. I checked with the manufacturer, they are all 4mm nuts, and I have the correct truss rod. In this particular case, imperial/metric isn't an issue, since 4mm and 5/32 are basically the exact same. I even took my wrench to work and used a micrometer, it measured 3.96mm which should be normal I think, the allen wrench would have to be slightly smaller to make a fit. I also have 2 other allen wrenches in 4mm and they have the same amount of play. I don't think anything is wrong with my wrenches.

3. Every single guitar I have with an allen wrench truss rod has this exact same amount of play. I have always been careful to seat them when I adjust, and 2 of my guitars I haven't even gotten around to adjusting yet and they are the exact same. Surely I haven't managed to get like 5 different guitars all with stripped out truss rods, those odds seem pretty low.

4. At work today I went around all the different machines and things we have that use allen bolts to be adjusted just to get a feel for how they all feel in general, and they all had a little play. So I'm sure some play is going to be normal. If they tried to manufacture a perfectly snug fit, they'd probably wind up sending out nuts and wrenches that don't work from the tiny amount tolerance, you'd wind up with one slightly too big by a mil or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68_XFtHdvc0

Ignore the mess and the cat

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Alright guys, can those of you with import guitars with an allen wrench truss rod do me a big favor and just stick it in and tell me how much play you have? I've got myself worked up in a tizzy here and I want to know for sure.

I worry about the amount of play between the allen wrench and the truss rod in my guitars, but I can't figure out what's going on. To keep this succinct and easily understandable I'm just going to list this out

1. It feels like there is a lot of play, more than there should be. My truss rods turn pretty easily, and aren't at any kind of immediate risk of stripping, but I worry about what it might do over the long run in terms of wear.

2. I'm not using the wrong size. I checked with the manufacturer, they are all 4mm nuts, and I have the correct truss rod. In this particular case, imperial/metric isn't an issue, since 4mm and 5/32 are basically the exact same. I even took my wrench to work and used a micrometer, it measured 3.96mm which should be normal I think, the allen wrench would have to be slightly smaller to make a fit. I also have 2 other allen wrenches in 4mm and they have the same amount of play. I don't think anything is wrong with my wrenches.

3. Every single guitar I have with an allen wrench truss rod has this exact same amount of play. I have always been careful to seat them when I adjust, and 2 of my guitars I haven't even gotten around to adjusting yet and they are the exact same. Surely I haven't managed to get like 5 different guitars all with stripped out truss rods, those odds seem pretty low.

4. At work today I went around all the different machines and things we have that use allen bolts to be adjusted just to get a feel for how they all feel in general, and they all had a little play. So I'm sure some play is going to be normal. If they tried to manufacture a perfectly snug fit, they'd probably wind up sending out nuts and wrenches that don't work from the tiny amount tolerance, you'd wind up with one slightly too big by a mil or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68_XFtHdvc0

Ignore the mess and the cat

That is pretty much exactly what I'd expect to see on that style of rod. Some rods have ZERO play in them, but that tends to be higher end stuff.

If you feel super uncomfortable like you're going to strip something, grab a different wrench even if it's the same size- tolerances vary and some cheap wrenches will be a little bigger or smaller. Also, in my experience you'll twist or strip an allen key well before you'll damage the truss rod adjuster nut. They tend to made of a hardened steel so usually the key will eat the damage rather than the nut. I've seen a lot of stripped trussrods in my day, but they were almost always on cheap guitars or some dumbass gorilla cranked WAY too hard on it. Having quality tools helps a lot. The thing I use the most I got for free with my last guitar but you can buy em fairly cheap. https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-Quick-access-MTZ11-Guitar/dp/B00F4SDYNS
It has a ruler, all the major allen keys you need, a socket, and several screwdrivers (all metric though. I'm sure there's a standard one out there too). Absolutely clutch to keep in a gig bag.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I ordered a 4.5mm allen wrench, it might fit tight. Or will with a little bit of grinding. Also they are all guitars from WMI in Korea, so they weren't exactly cheap.

e: we should all just start boycotting any company that doesn't use spoke wheel truss rods

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 23, 2023

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I ordered a 4.5mm allen wrench, it might fit tight. Or will with a little bit of grinding. Also they are all guitars from WMI in Korea, so they weren't exactly cheap.

I wasn't saying that guitar was cheap those are what like $1700 or something? By higher end I meant like $3500 or more these days. Every guitar I've ever owned had a little play in the truss wrench. Now if the rod itself is sloppy that's a whole different problem

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I only have my ~21-year-old Washburn to check, but two of my three hex keys/Allen wrenches around the 4 mm size have that same amount of play in the truss rod, while the third fits pretty much exactly. Measuring with a caliper, the two smaller ones are around 3.95 mm and the larger one is 4.00-4.01 mm, so it could just be something like different tolerances like Gramps said.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Its all good, I was just curious if WMI were cheaping out on truss rods.

speaking of the rod itself, when you have a double action rod right in that neutral zone, I think it is suppose to almost feel like it spins freely until you go into one zone or the other.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Grog posted:

I only have my ~21-year-old Washburn to check, but two of my three hex keys/Allen wrenches around the 4 mm size have that same amount of play in the truss rod, while the third fits pretty much exactly. Measuring with a caliper, the two smaller ones are around 3.95 mm and the larger one is 4.00-4.01 mm, so it could just be something like different tolerances like Gramps said.

Interesting. I ordered a 4mm along with a 4.5, the Bondhus brand or whatever it is, they are supposed to be pretty good. I'll see what they do when they get here. I'm not even sure where my current ones came from. Probably with the guitars.

e; the 4mm one got here and has the same amount of slack. maybe the 4.5 will fit in there good. Although to be honest, if I don't turn it against a ton of string tension, I doubt it'll even be a big deal to use the slack ones.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 23, 2023

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

LEMME HEAR

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Its all good, I was just curious if WMI were cheaping out on truss rods.

speaking of the rod itself, when you have a double action rod right in that neutral zone, I think it is suppose to almost feel like it spins freely until you go into one zone or the other.

Yes- lots of double action rods have maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn of a dead zone right in the middle.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Interesting. I ordered a 4mm along with a 4.5, the Bondhus brand or whatever it is, they are supposed to be pretty good. I'll see what they do when they get here. I'm not even sure where my current ones came from. Probably with the guitars.

e; the 4mm one got here and has the same amount of slack. maybe the 4.5 will fit in there good. Although to be honest, if I don't turn it against a ton of string tension, I doubt it'll even be a big deal to use the slack ones.

I would use the one you have now as long as you don't have to apply much more than wrist force. I've only seen one trussrod break in person, and it was my coworker breaking a customer's lovely old guitar. He basically put all his bodyweight onto a single action rod that was as tight as it would go and the rod snapped. We replaced the customer's guitar for him but that was really really stupid. Lesson there is go for it, just don't do anything egregiously dumb and you're good.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not too worried about the rod itself, just stripping the bolt over time. I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can replace the bolt on a lot of these double action rods. Once it's fully stripped, the guitar might be trash if you can't fix it. Although I've heard people sometimes are able to force torx bits into stripped ones and still turn them so who knows. Stewmac makes a stepped gripper thing you can use, but not for guitars with the cutout style access.

For the most part, mine turn easy. But I have gone to using higher tension strings, and I've noticed it takes a bit more force to tighten against the string tension, although I don't have to strain, just put a slight bit of oomph into it(A lot less than it would take to say, break one loose from a piece of furniture or something though). I could just start loosening the strings first.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 24, 2023

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I could just start loosening the strings first.

I always do adjustments under tension. If you're worried just be careful and wait for the snugger wrench

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today’s guitar achievements:

- Figured out two octaves’ worth of the major scale
- And therefore unlocked modes, sort of
- Found the (a?) major chord shape

Still not sure what I should be doing right now, but I continue to plonk away.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i don't wanna post the scrap because it's gonna be something my band uses and it's not finished yet.

this probably comes up a bunch or at least i feel like i've asked it before, but one of the things i really like is feedback sounds as a transitional thing-- over the last little bit of a verse headed into a heavier/louder chorus, that sort of thing. is there a pedal i can step on to get this effect and do it in the actual room or live?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How in the gently caress do you do pinch harmonics? I feel like this is something that seems like it should be really simple, and for some reason I just cannot get the technique right.

This was one of the things I wanted to do when I was playing guitar decades ago, and now that I have started again, especially since I am listening to a lot of =VH=, I want to try and do now.

I don't seem to be able to learn the touch required. Is there any shortcut, or do I just have to keep trying, and eventually I'll discover the feel, and it will be like the moment I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, and then it's just there and I'll always know it from then on?!?

This is so frustrating. The most I seem to be able to get is a muted buzzy sound.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
there are certain spots you have to touch the string. it's the same as natural harmonics, but you are touching nodes down close to the pickup area instead of over the frets. also the nodes will move depending on where you fret, since they function as a percentage of the strings length.

I do mine wildly different than most people, so I can't give you good normal pinch harmonic advice. but I pick a bit above the node, and tap the node with my middle finger while I'm picking the string. like hybrid picking(but its a lot easier), but on the same string if that makes sense. It was always much more natural for me. I still try to do it the normal way sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

How in the gently caress do you do pinch harmonics? I feel like this is something that seems like it should be really simple, and for some reason I just cannot get the technique right.

This was one of the things I wanted to do when I was playing guitar decades ago, and now that I have started again, especially since I am listening to a lot of =VH=, I want to try and do now.

I don't seem to be able to learn the touch required. Is there any shortcut, or do I just have to keep trying, and eventually I'll discover the feel, and it will be like the moment I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, and then it's just there and I'll always know it from then on?!?

This is so frustrating. The most I seem to be able to get is a muted buzzy sound.

I made a dumb tiktok about this awhile ago. Really make sure you focus on rubbing the side of your thumb on the string.
https://www.tiktok.com/@grampageoff/video/6914679070710107398?lang=en

Edit: I also made a follow up that goes into more detail on the right hand. If you can't get it after watching this then I don't know what to say. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRvkXfUR/

Gramps fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 24, 2023