Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mobby_6kl posted:

There are... quite a few of them

Yes but I'd bet you could've replace it with some cardboard in a year
I was going to ask "doesn't part of the refurbishing involve painting them with green camo instead of desert camo" but I see many in the stockpile are still green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

i found yours

That's obviously a technical not a tank

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ah yes. The classic "If we stall, they'll hopefully get killed before we have to pay them".

Somewhere the shade of Wallenstein nods approvingly.

Also Re: Abrams chat. It's my understanding that a lot of those excess to required ones being built are just the 'shell' of the tank. I.e. The main body of the tank with all the fancy armour, because that's the hardest, most time-consuming, use it or lose it skills, part of the construction. But without all the fittings and electronics. Which are way easier to source and can be added later if and when needed.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Zelinsky has visited the frontline at Bahkmut. Holy poo poo the balls on that guy.

Agreed on the Bahkmut updates, but a tiny part of me thinks they might actually break the Russians there. If they can hold our until a spring offensive and they attack somewhere else on the line I can't see the Russians taking Bahkmut then.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

grumplestiltzkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opSlCGLGQ4&t=983s

judge for yourself, but it seems like a pretty clear joke delivered in a very deadpan style. timestamped for the section talking about engines, 16:23 if the timestamp doesnt work
The Honda Jazz footage is straight from Top Gear. His delivery and comedic overstatement are staples of Top Gear, and frankly the cadence of the delivery is common in GB from before Top Gear.

:thejoke:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Sure, but on a battlefield with plenty of modern anti-tank weapons some 70 year old T-55 they fished out of storage feels like a turbo special death trap.
An RPG7 warhead dropped from a quadcopter drone would gently caress up a T-55 something fierce. Missile tech and explosives tech has come a long way in that time.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jimlit posted:

That's obviously a technical not a tank

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I still have no idea why Toyota isn't sending Hiluxes. Free advertisement, execs!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nobody needs to advertise something everyone already knows.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

I still have no idea why Toyota isn't sending Hiluxes. Free advertisement, execs!

If anything, Mitsubishi should be sending L200s. They seem to be really commonplace in videos. I also recall L200s being specifically requested in donation drives during the first few months of the war.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

CannonFodder posted:

I was going to ask "doesn't part of the refurbishing involve painting them with green camo instead of desert camo" but I see many in the stockpile are still green.

I'm so used to seeing them in desert colours I having a hard time imagining them any different.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I got an inside scoop on Russia's newest tank:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I got an inside scoop on Russia's newest tank:

Don't be silly, PSP.

You need working metal foundries to make this sort of thing.

a podcast for cats posted:

If anything, Mitsubishi should be sending L200s. They seem to be really commonplace in videos. I also recall L200s being specifically requested in donation drives during the first few months of the war.

I didn't know this one, but I'm all for it too. Whatever works in the mud/snow and can carry heavy equipment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

Wasn't sure if that isn't just an old photo but nope they're still green in 2023: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1942265,-120.1535749,254m/data=!3m1!1e3

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm so used to seeing them in desert colours I having a hard time imagining them any different.

European woodland camo back in style, baby!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

In the latest of unfortunate smoking accidents:
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638870822772146176

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
On Twitter, I see NAFO pushing propaganda that little dogs in army hats could defeat the Russian army. While there’s plenty to criticize about the Russian army, the idea that little dogs could defeat them, is frankly preposterous. Anyone who’s been to an animal shelter would know that little dogs do not have opposable thumbs with which to grasp moden weaponry. Even generously assuming that NAFO could be obliquely referring to pit bulls (note: there is NO evidence of this), pitbulls struggle to reach 250 psi of bite strength. While this might hurt an unarmored civilian pretty significantly or even kill a young child, a modern infantry company would likely be able to incapacitate or kill even a small platoon of pitbulls before they did much damage, and there is no evidence that Russia is fielding young children in battle. Moreover, little dogs simply have no answer to tanks or other armored vehicles. Even the largest dogs cannot penetrate a mere passenger car. I find it highly unlikely that they could penetrate the armor of any tank. This kind of obvious lying by the pro-Ukrainian side really makes one wonder what else they might be lying about.

the other hand fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 23, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

the other hand posted:

On Twitter, I see NAFO pushing propaganda that little dogs in army hats could defeat the Russian army. While there’s plenty to criticize about the Russian army, the idea that little dogs could defeat them, is frankly preposterous. Anyone who’s been to an animal shelter would know that little dogs do not have opposable thumbs with which to grasp moden weaponry. Even generously assuming that NAFO could be obliquely referring to pit bulls (note: there is NO evidence of this), pitbulls struggle to reach 250 psi of bite strength. While this might hurt an in armored civilian pretty significantly, a modern infantry company would likely be able to incapacitate or kill even a small platoon of pitbulls before they did much damage. Moreover, little dogs simply have no answer to tanks or other armored vehicles. Even the largest dogs cannot penetrate a mere passenger car. I find it highly unlikely that they could penetrate the armor of any tank. This kind of obvious lying by the pro-Ukrainian side really makes one wonder what else they might be lying about.

So few people understand this.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638881781373108225

Myyyyyyyyyy million dollar holiday home in Italy

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm guessing that the green tanks were sent to Germany and South Korea for a few training sessions and then mothballed because there were 300 more tanks rotated into those areas.

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't sure if that isn't just an old photo but nope they're still green in 2023: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1942265,-120.1535749,254m/data=!3m1!1e3

European woodland camo back in style, baby!
:gifttank:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

So few people understand this.
Really damages the credibility of NAFO.

Although I think we simply re-resign the equipment to be operatable with paws and mouths, it could work fine. Push left pedal to go left, right pedal to go right, bite the rubber doll to shoot the canon.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638803263654076417

lmao

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I dunno man, Russia did a deep extermination of the dog packs around Sochi for the olympics and the dogs basically came back within a week. Eastern European dogs are tenacious lil buggers.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

the other hand posted:

On Twitter, I see NAFO pushing propaganda that little dogs in army hats could defeat the Russian army. While there’s plenty to criticize about the Russian army, the idea that little dogs could defeat them, is frankly preposterous. Anyone who’s been to an animal shelter would know that little dogs do not have opposable thumbs with which to grasp moden weaponry. Even generously assuming that NAFO could be obliquely referring to pit bulls (note: there is NO evidence of this), pitbulls struggle to reach 250 psi of bite strength. While this might hurt an unarmored civilian pretty significantly or even kill a young child, a modern infantry company would likely be able to incapacitate or kill even a small platoon of pitbulls before they did much damage, and there is no evidence that Russia is fielding young children in battle. Moreover, little dogs simply have no answer to tanks or other armored vehicles. Even the largest dogs cannot penetrate a mere passenger car. I find it highly unlikely that they could penetrate the armor of any tank. This kind of obvious lying by the pro-Ukrainian side really makes one wonder what else they might be lying about.

*squinting between this post and a gif of a dog blowing up the moskva*

Is this an accurate assessment of dogs' military power? No.. it's not.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe instead we should start posting the things that are NOT on fire in Russia to save posting space on the servers

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Maybe instead we should start posting the things that are NOT on fire in Russia to save posting space on the servers

russian soldiers cooking/heating stoves

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The russians are saying that the drone attack on sevastopol did nothing, as of course they would. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-sevastopol-attacked-by-drones-from-sea-and-air

Still , seems unlikely they did any catastrophic damage and surface drones seem to be pretty vulnerable to detection. They boats did get fairly close though, so perhaps sticking an actual torpedo on the drone and launching it from a distance would be the way to go.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638881781373108225

Myyyyyyyyyy million dollar holiday home in Italy

The global task force for yoinking the assets of sanctioned individuals is literally called :Russian Elites, Proxies, and Oligarchs task force

They're REPO men. :kiss:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1638880568632041474
Zelensky was spotted today in Kherson, surveying the infrastructure facilities.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/JaroNad/status/1638899885800923137

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638900907411644416
The perfidious anglo-saxons strike again. :dumbrim:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Baby steps russia. Maybe start with a fight with Moldova first and work your way up.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

the other hand posted:

There's the Superbonker 9000 though

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I missed the class in war college where they explained how a preemptive strike on a nuclear power is sure to instantly win any war.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Zalessian Krivichians whine again

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

That is not a posting priority.

Producing an endless stream of poop jokes is. Like is any poop currently on fire?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

That is not a posting priority.

Producing an endless stream of poop jokes is. Like is any poop currently on fire?

Fire in the hole!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

well, they allready own alot of the tory party and half of london, so more self inflicted dick punching could be on the cards.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Borscht posted:

The global task force for yoinking the assets of sanctioned individuals is literally called :Russian Elites, Proxies, and Oligarchs task force

They're REPO men. :kiss:

Harry Dean Stanton nods approvingly

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Power Khan posted:

There's the Superbonker 9000 though

Careful photographic analysis reveals that the "dogs" featured in this picture are likely to be nothing more than flat images on the hull featuring headshots of dogs superimposed over other figures and this vehicle is not in fact being crewed by small dogs. In this essay (1/91)..

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The fact that they couldn't do so right now, while Britain is the weakest it's been since the worst days of WW2, is indicative of just how toothless modern day Russia is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And now the % spent on the forces gets ramped up at the cost of the NHS and other good stuff. Thanks putin