Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I'm playing 6 and do not understand a word of Japanese and even then I can tell that the story is going some crazy places. I *have* to be getting near the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No, you are not.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

You absolutely need to play 5 though to get the most out of 6.

Yeah, without playing 5 you’ll never understand why all these human looking aliens are running around.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grate deceiver posted:

Considering 5 ended with killing god, I'm pretty hype

This is understating it: Remember, first you tried to arrest God until he started throwing meteors.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I love it when they resist arrest. Send in the K9 missile.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

tensai posted:

I'm playing 6 and do not understand a word of Japanese and even then I can tell that the story is going some crazy places. I *have* to be getting near the end of the game.

What mission number are you on.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It is a strange, but fond memory of playing with friends, getting to that mission, and having the two veteran fencer players start screaming "STOP RESISTING" while rockets and miniguns open up. I was confused at first.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Shaking some dust off this old thread. Any news about the Western release for EDF 6? I recall Scalding Coffee said the Western version of EDF 6 will come out for consoles first, then PC likely the next year.

Are Playstation 5's easier to obtain this year than last year? I had bought a PS 4 Pro specifically for EDF 5, so will likely being doing the same to get the latest PS console for EDF 6.

I heard the EDF 5 menu theme again the other day, and made me realize how much I was missing playing a new EDF :smith:

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 26, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

nnnotime posted:

Shaking some dust off this old thread. Any news about the Western release for EDF 6? I recall Scalding Coffee said the Western version of EDF 6 will come out for consoles first, then PC likely the next year.

Are Playstation 5's easier to obtain this year than last year? I had bought a PS 4 Pro specifically for EDF 5, so will likely being doing the same to get the latest PS console for EDF 6.

There's been no announcements for a western release yet, we're just guessing release timings based on EDF 5's release dates.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nnnotime posted:

They're in stock at best buy right now, at least the God of War bundle version

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6523225.p?skuId=6523225

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I need edf 6 in my life

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Having played all of EDF6 in japanese, it's amazing. However there isn't even a DLC pack released yet, I dont think a western release will happen before that's done.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are taking their time with the DLC since EDF6 is much larger than 5. Console release is definitely coming this year, but not until months after the DLC comes out, going along with the previous entries.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Ah, thanks to everybody for the helpful info.

Glad to hear EDF 6 is much larger than EDF 5. I spent a _lot_ of time on the prior EDF missions ( I assume like everyone else), mostly going back and replaying levels on different difficulties to unlock new weapons.

I won't be playing EDF 6 every day, as last time I played EDF 5 trying to complete all Hardest missions, while cooped up during COVID, I started to develop repetitive-stress pain in one of my thumb joints, as I was trying to play 2 to 3 hours a night in some cases.

I'm an older gamer and find I cannot handle playing sessions longer than an hour without some kind of finger-joint or wrist strain.

So if I spend an hour a day on EDF 6, I'll be playing for quite a while. But that means more time to thoroughly enjoy EDF 6 at a leisurely place, I guess :peanut:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

goddammit I thought this thread got bumped because there was a release date announcement :argh:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does edf 6 put the cool giant war mission in the first 40 missions and then never do a mission like that again

I loved plains of conflict why did we only get that once but a million "shoot the UFO when the hatch opens upto vomit garbage onto the map" missions

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The scale of mission intensity is all over the place with this sequel. There are plot reasons for having the gradual buildup to a large battle then suddenly scale it down. There will be multiple instances of two armies clashing on a battlefield with tons of explosions happening that it seems like a remix of earlier missions.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finally got World Brothers and am about a dozen missions in so far. Fun enough, nothing groundbreaking. Any characters in particular I should be looking out for?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

They're totally random to find so just try out new brothers or sisters as you come across them. Some of my faves are the Iron Rain EDF characters though.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ashsaber posted:

Finally got World Brothers and am about a dozen missions in so far. Fun enough, nothing groundbreaking. Any characters in particular I should be looking out for?

Pharaoh Sister is really good, aoe skill that gives i-frames while using, and her ult gives several seconds of timestop as a panic button.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the method to gain and level up characters is pure rng. it drags down the rest of the game, imo.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
World Brothers is irredeemable trash imo that tries to be EDF but neither hits the humor nor the gameplay or atmosphere of the mainline games. A poor fan game Imitation paired with racist stereotypes of people.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the method to gain and level up characters is pure rng. it drags down the rest of the game, imo.
Does it cap characters like Iron Rain?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I don't know why the Switch ports of 2 and 3 have gone unlocalized, there's already translations of both

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that reminded me to check to see if reginleiv had gotten a fan translation. as of 2021, it has! time for some jank rear end wii fantasy edf.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they announced the first dlc for 6 btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccc0cSKWGsw

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Oh hey, the guy I watched the series on. Release on 3/23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzuORZz_AYY&t=1535s

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 15, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
World Brothers is alright. It's not remotely as good as the mainline games, but it's fun enough for a playthrough.

Ironically, I felt like the team system drained a lot of the appeal out of the multiplayer. Since everyone is running a team of brothers/sisters, everyone can fill every role at the same time and cover their own weaknesses so there's way less of that awesome feeling of specialized teamwork you can get from a lot of the mainline games. The maps in WB are also too bite size and short.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

world brothers felt more like busywork than actually playing a game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They have released the first DLC mission pack today. Still in Japan.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I finished my first EDF5 playthrough last week, Ranger Normal Offline. I had a pretty great time just going at it in bursts here and there. That said, I thought I could keep that 100% completion dream alive by doing one Normal playthrough with one class, a Hard playthrough with another class, Hardest playthrough with a third class, and then four playthroughs at Inferno.

I was so disappointed when I saw that beating Hardest and Inferno difficulty stages doesn't unlock the other difficulty stars. I don't think I was ever realistically going to beat all 110 levels 7 times, but asking me to do it 13 times is ludicrous lol.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

isn't that tracked per class per difficulty level? so if you complete a level on normal with wing diver, than hard with air raider, that's still just a normal difficulty completion tracked for WD?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ninjewtsu posted:

isn't that tracked per class per difficulty level? so if you complete a level on normal with wing diver, than hard with air raider, that's still just a normal difficulty completion tracked for WD?

Correct. You need to beat each difficulty with each class for 100%. For all that I loving love EDF that's an insane level of completionism that really shouldn't be in a modern game lol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wouldn't mind the insane level of completionism if absolutely critical stuff like "weapon level unlock" wasn't hidden behind like 70%.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

ninjewtsu posted:

That's correct! I thought I could beat the game once on Normal, once on Hard, once on Hardest in order to get my armor and weapon levels up across the board, then just beat the game with each class on Inferno to get 100% completion.

Turns out you only get easier difficulty levels unlocked up to Hard. Example: I just beat the game on Normal with Ranger. This gave me stars for Easy and Normal. Next I play Wing Diver on Hard. This will give me stars for Easy, Normal and Hard. After that I go back to the first mission on Inferno with Fencer. I only get the star for Inferno, all easier difficulty levels show as incomplete.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They change it up for the next game.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
DLC released today and there's some new monsters like electric spiders, machine gun ants, and new rolypoly dudes.

D3 please let me into EDF 6

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Katamari's are Species Large-type.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The grouped difficulty unlock only works up to hard. So you can play on hard to get everything below that, but hardest and up all have to be unlocked separately.
And yes, every class counts as its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finished World Brothers on Hard, dipping into Hardest for a bit, and it may be the honeymoon period of trying new weapons after having used the same ones for like 50%+ of my first playthrough, but it is actually feeling pretty good right now. Special mention to the Plasma Cannon that never stops firing ever (2 shots a second, .5 second reload) and the upgraded Fork which went from 16 missiles at one target to 16 missiles at individual targets which works so much loving better.

Also did enjoy the last two stages had a bunch of allied ants, even if they did nothing but tank hits. That was a fun way to end the story at least.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 26, 2023