Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

The Fool posted:

They go through a pairing process, but come pre-paired from the factory.

If you get a replacement dongle you need the software to pair them, but you can remove it afterwards. (or move it to a different computer)

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

i am a moron posted:

There are people who literally only whiteboard and have no clue what happens when the rubber meets the road. Their title always has architect in there somewhere

I’m doing my best to keep it 75% technical after I demanded and got my promotion to architect a year or so ago. I’m basically in the position of “this is what we should be doing for the org” in my area of responsibility, then I go out and do it. The other architects here, though…..man, it is a lot of conceptual bullshit that I simply do not care about in any way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kiwid posted:

If you're going to standardise on something new then it's worth looking at Logi Bolt which claims higher security than the Unifying receiver and better performance in busy environments

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/business/work-setups/logi-bolt-wireless-technology.html

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Just handed in my (ChatGPT written) letter of resignation.

Boss handled it well, though he was like “don’t tell anyone on the team how much you’ll be making“ which is anti-worker BS

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats!

Also, my partner just got an offer this morning, which will be a $20k raise before bonuses :yotj:

She's very happy right now.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

KillHour posted:

Congrats!

Also, my partner just got an offer this morning, which will be a $20k raise before bonuses :yotj:

NICE! I’ve been invested in this saga, glad it turned out well

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

App13 posted:

Boss handled it well, though he was like “don’t tell anyone on the team how much you’ll be making“ which is anti-worker BS

What the fucks he going to do fire you?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KillHour posted:

Congrats!

Congrats to her! Was this the one she feared she bombed, or another role?

App13 posted:

lol, at $job-1 I specifically had a private conversation with each of my teammates "You don't have to share your details, but I'm making $X, and I just accepted an offer for $X*1.4. Just thought you should know that going into raise discussions. Good luck!"

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

kiwid posted:

Dell also has replacement dongles for $15. A little expensive but better than tossing the $50 kb+m in the garbage.
Requires the peripheral manager software that gets automatically installed when you plug in their dongles.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What the fucks he going to do fire you?

Yea definitely tell everyone now hahaha

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Congrats to her! Was this the one she feared she bombed, or another role?

A different one. The one she thought she bombed is rescheduled for tomorrow, but I think she's leaning towards taking this one. She has to let them know early next week, so it would be tight to get an offer from the other place.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

KillHour posted:

Congrats!

I'm guessing this is the role where she accidently missed the interviewer and had to reschedule? In any case, congrats, that's awesome!

i am a moron posted:

:emptyquote:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wizard of the Deep posted:

lol, at $job-1 I specifically had a private conversation with each of my teammates "You don't have to share your details, but I'm making $X, and I just accepted an offer for $X*1.4. Just thought you should know that going into raise discussions. Good luck!"

My protégé at $shitjob negotiated a substantial raise two hours after I handed in my resignation :sun:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

i am a moron posted:

I had already told everyone prior to even having the discussion with my boss lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

marriage proposals are off until someone tells me what the gently caress powershell is doing

code:
PS C:\Users\clamdown\source\repos > $PSCustomObject.name
Name-1
Name-2
Name-3
Name-4
Name-5
Name-6
PS C:\Users\clamdown\source\repos > $PSCustomObject.name -contains "Name-3"
True
PS C:\Users\clamdown\source\repos > $PSCustomObject.name -contains $NameToFind
False
PS C:\Users\clamdown\source\repos > $NameToFind
Name-3

Powershell string method weirdness strikes again. Tr--

The Fool posted:

use -like instead of -contains

:bahgawd:

Edit: the thing to remember is that, unlike other languages, -contains is implemented in Powershell to iterate through lists to test whether any individual objects are exactly like the sample object, all properties included

I empathize with it being a pain to try to remember that -contains is very much not a string operator.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 23, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

devmd01 posted:

I’m doing my best to keep it 75% technical after I demanded and got my promotion to architect a year or so ago. I’m basically in the position of “this is what we should be doing for the org” in my area of responsibility, then I go out and do it. The other architects here, though…..man, it is a lot of conceptual bullshit that I simply do not care about in any way.

Same. I’ve never fully embraced the architect lifestyle even though I’ve technically been one for years. Imo if you can’t do hands on and architecting it’s because you stink. And yea there are huge corporations which tons of cross-BU and regulatory things where a true EA is needed, but IME 90% of the people with the title are doing much more basic design work and if you don’t understand how the bits and pieces work I’m not going to have respect for you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't know how true bigwig EAs at fortune500s work, but I've always respected the architectural input of someone who can mentally dtrace each transaction from top to bottom of whatever part of the stack is their expertise

additionally I don't know if anyone else bothers with ICDs anymore but I've found them extremely handy for plugging different talents together efficiently and avoiding surprises/friction

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 23, 2023

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The new paradigm for my company is adding a bunch of DevOps and SecOps people that tell us about a cool new thing they learned about in school/conference/reddit/vendor bbq and how it will solve everything that we have been doing the dumb way

It's become a weekly thing to explain that things are being done the dumb way because some business unit's critical activity doesn't work if we do it the smart way

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was supposed to hear about the job I interviewed for as early as last Thursday but possibly as late as last Tuesday. It is now Thursday. The manager goes on paternity leave at the end of this week.

I'm 95% sure he only interviewed one other person (that I'm friends with) and they haven't heard anything back either, so it's not like they made a decision to go with somebody else and just didn't tell me, we're both in the dark here.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ElGroucho posted:

The new paradigm for my company is adding a bunch of DevOps and SecOps people that tell us about a cool new thing they learned about in school/conference/reddit/vendor bbq and how it will solve everything that we have been doing the dumb way

It's become a weekly thing to explain that things are being done the dumb way because some business unit's critical activity doesn't work if we do it the smart way

This is how I have to interact with application teams right now. Any advice for not coming off like I am criticizing, but rather finding areas where we can optimize and make dev life easier?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1638875879421116417?s=20

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Those type of job postings probably imply the current security is a little lax

It's county government on the border, it's embarrassingly lax.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m working with a vendor who requires a 306 line call to just create an account

It is the worst API I’ve ever seen

User updates require the same number of lines as new user calls. Why provide only what fields you want updated when you can give EVERY field instead?

I’ve never made an API, but if I did it would be better than this pile of trash

Oh and admin is a true/false flag and users can either do literally everything or literally nothing

gently caress I hate programs brought on outside of IT

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

use -like instead of -contains

oh my god

my $NameToFind variable had hidden characters. I added trim() and it works perfectly now.

loving hell

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god

my $NameToFind variable had hidden characters. I added trim() and it works perfectly now.

loving hell

Ah, $NameToFind -eq "Name-3" would have been a good test to run (in hindsight). My first guess was that $NameToFind wasn't actually a string but maybe an array with a single item or something, but secret characters would do it too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still don't know why it's possible to cut-and-paste and retain a special hidden character that might have crept in there, or a trailing space, but surely the numbers of times you want to retain that space is less than 1%? Saner defaults, please.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bear in mind that -like accepts wildcards, so weird input that doesn't just trim() cleanly can be matched with -like "*name*3*" or whatever you need

I'm trying to emphasize that any successful use of -contains with strings is purely coincidental. It assesses whole objects--all parameters. Don't do it this way, use -like.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 23, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've stopped putting code snippets in teams for exactly that reason, screen snip or attached file only.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Thanks Ants posted:

I still don't know why it's possible to cut-and-paste and retain a special hidden character that might have crept in there, or a trailing space, but surely the numbers of times you want to retain that space is less than 1%? Saner defaults, please.

Eeeh, I'm of the opinion that commands should do what they say they do. if I highlight something and choose copy, I don't want the OS taking it's best guess as to what I want it to copy, I just want it to bloody copy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Note that you can often also use -eq instead of -contains to check if something is in a list.

code:
PS> $names = 'Name-1','Name-2','Name-3','Name-4'
PS> $names
Name-1
Name-2
Name-3
Name-4
PS> $names -eq 'Name-3'
Name-3
PS> if ($names -eq 'Name-3') { Write-Host 'found' }
found
But when you need to check a property rather than the entire object, it might not be the most convenient.

This was useful to know when I had to write scripts that also ran on old PowerShell versions, I think version 2.0 was included in Windows 7 and we had machines that didn't have anything newer.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

JFC, I feel this in my bones right now. I had one place that wanted at least an A+ and a high school diploma for one position, and a college degree and a trifecta for another with no experience requirement reject me within few hours a few weeks back, but is still throwing the post up on Indeed and such. It's very :psyduck: looking at some of these job postings.

On the upside, have an in-person interview next week, and a phone interview with another place the same day. Finally after like a month of no hits, finally starting to see some bites.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I was supposed to hear about the job I interviewed for as early as last Thursday but possibly as late as last Tuesday. It is now Thursday. The manager goes on paternity leave at the end of this week.

I'm 95% sure he only interviewed one other person (that I'm friends with) and they haven't heard anything back either, so it's not like they made a decision to go with somebody else and just didn't tell me, we're both in the dark here.

The other person got the offer, I'm gonna go curl up in a ball for a little while.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We just interviewed a guy for an entry level tech position here at the hospital who had such gems on his resume as, experience with imaging windows xp - 12 and microsoft suite and office 360 installation experience, those are exact words from him resume. Also when asked where he sees himself/what he wants out of this position he said he has other oppotunties with NASA and Boeing but he'd def take this entry level hospital position for sure if he was offered. So that was fun.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

This is how I have to interact with application teams right now. Any advice for not coming off like I am criticizing, but rather finding areas where we can optimize and make dev life easier?

I've got no idea man, I've had a couple of talks about not losing my poo poo on these people.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mattfl posted:

We just interviewed a guy for an entry level tech position here at the hospital who had such gems on his resume as, experience with imaging windows xp - 12 and microsoft suite and office 360 installation experience, those are exact words from him resume. Also when asked where he sees himself/what he wants out of this position he said he has other oppotunties with NASA and Boeing but he'd def take this entry level hospital position for sure if he was offered. So that was fun.

drat, he sounds powerful

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My cert school resume review person told us to say explicitly we know how to install xp, use CDs, and WEP, among other gems

Anyway I wish there was a way to put computer touching goon - 1998-current on my resume

App13
Dec 31, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Anyway I wish there was a way to put computer touching goon - 1998-current on my resume

I would just put that, verbatim, in the skills section

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Posting Expert, YOSPOS Certified

(I do not post in YOSPOS)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you for the help all, I'm so mad that it was a hidden character. In hindsight I should use .trim() on all strings, and if I had used .length I would have seen a difference! gently caress!

Potato Salad posted:

bear in mind that -like accepts wildcards, so weird input that doesn't just trim() cleanly can be matched with -like "*name*3*" or whatever you need

I'm trying to emphasize that any successful use of -contains with strings is purely coincidental. It assesses whole objects--all parameters. Don't do it this way, use -like.

Make sense - I've changed it all to -like. I agree that -contains working was very much accidental!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mattfl posted:

Power move