Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

That's the issue you take with this cartoon? Not the complete lack of absolutely anything besides the talking point du jour, stated so nakedly that even drunky duck would blush?

Oh, no, I just meant in general, I'm tired of these lazy "Why persecute Trump for crime when crime exists?" cartoons. The picture itself (because let's be honest, other than being drawn, is stretching the definition of cartoon) is just... nothing. There is nothing to it. It's just a remarkably lazy cartoon, where any effort more than just sighing and telling the artist "gently caress you" is more than what he spent on the cartoon. Like, if you told me the text was lifted directly from the talking points, I would believe you 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Periodic reminder that the same people who are beside themselves that someone would care go after Trump for his teensy weensy wittle crimes also believe that George Floyd deserved to die because he was a criminal.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That's a very smug camel

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Xander77 posted:

That's the issue you take with this cartoon? Not the complete lack of absolutely anything besides the talking point du jour, stated so nakedly that even drunky duck would blush?
uh excuse me? i think you'll find that there is vast precedent for presidents not being held accountable because they felt in their heart they were doing good things.

obviously, this makes the inverse true: you can't arrest a man you hate no matter what. it's why i made enemies with security at the mall. now when i walk out of hot topic and they try to detain me i scream "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DILDOS IN MY POCKETS THIS IS BECAUSE I SPILLED SOY SAUCE ON YOU LAST WEEK, TREVOR!!" and they have to let me go.

it's why "lock her up" isn't hypocritical: trump is very sincere, deep in his heart, that hillary should go to prison. not because he hates her! everyone who wants trump to go to jail for his many crimes just has a personal grudge

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Most missed opportunity. This is more than Norfolk Southern volunteered to pay to its victims.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Where was this message for the first train, the second train, or anything in Florida for the last 14mo?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drat, Matt really hit that out outta the park

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Brawnfire posted:

I'm wondering what part of this is a cartoon. There's neither joke nor punchline nor even a comedic depiction of anything. It's just... a drawing, a very ugly drawing, of what everyone knows republicans already believe.

This is Ed Gamble's specialty. He doesn't really grasp what a political cartoon is, exactly, apart from "a drawing about politics". Almost every cartoon he does is exactly like this. It's actually the main reason I started posting him; he's just so astoundingly bad at the craft of cartooning that it's kind of impressive. In fact, here's another example!

Ed Gamble

You can actually see the ideas in here, but the execution is just awful. Just a few possible things one could do instead to mildly improve matters:

* Keeping the intent of the cartoon relatively intact, Xi congratulates Putin on being named a war criminal for killing X people and Putin says something along the lines of "With your help, we can double that!"
* They appear to be shaking hands at a podium, but Xi is sneakily passing him weapons behind it (perhaps in a large bag labelled "weapons"). No dialogue needed.
* Have Putin start the conversation instead; he's proud of managing to commit enough genocide that the ICC is after him, and Xi responds "hey, if you want some advice on committing genocide, you're talking to the right guy".
* Putin is standing on a block wearing a medal labelled "ICC Indictment", raising one fist in victory while brushing away a tear with the other hand. Xi is in the front of the audience, giving him a standing ovation.

I'm sure anyone in this thread could construct a better cartoon setup than this even if they couldn't draw it. (And Gamble isn't any great shakes at actual art, either.)

Anyway...

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

Randall Enos - Crazy Times

Dave Whamond - Will Trump's Past Ketchup With Him?

Adam Zyglis

Dave Granlund

David Horsey

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

drat, Matt really hit that out outta the park

I can't wait for tomorrow where he'll probably be right back to being a poo poo again

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Can we create a Kellies Nomination for Worst "Woke" Cartoon?

Because at this point, anyone who uses the term "woke" unironically deserves to be strapped to a chair and beaten with sledgehammers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Horsey, your loving employer endorses single family housing and urban sprawl, go gently caress yourself.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is Ed Gamble's specialty. He doesn't really grasp what a political cartoon is, exactly, apart from "a drawing about politics". Almost every cartoon he does is exactly like this. It's actually the main reason I started posting him; he's just so astoundingly bad at the craft of cartooning that it's kind of impressive. In fact, here's another example!

Ed Gamble

You can actually see the ideas in here, but the execution is just awful. Just a few possible things one could do instead to mildly improve matters:

* Keeping the intent of the cartoon relatively intact, Xi congratulates Putin on being named a war criminal for killing X people and Putin says something along the lines of "With your help, we can double that!"
* They appear to be shaking hands at a podium, but Xi is sneakily passing him weapons behind it (perhaps in a large bag labelled "weapons"). No dialogue needed.
* Have Putin start the conversation instead; he's proud of managing to commit enough genocide that the ICC is after him, and Xi responds "hey, if you want some advice on committing genocide, you're talking to the right guy".
* Putin is standing on a block wearing a medal labelled "ICC Indictment", raising one fist in victory while brushing away a tear with the other hand. Xi is in the front of the audience, giving him a standing ovation.

I'm sure anyone in this thread could construct a better cartoon setup than this even if they couldn't draw it. (And Gamble isn't any great shakes at actual art, either.)

Well basically, I copied the cartoon we have now, but I added large DEBT, which I think is pretty sharp. No need to thank me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Looks like he got confused with his war criminals and drew Bibi instead of Vova.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Dave Whamond - Will Trump's Past Ketchup With Him?

I love it, best cartoon, 10/10 close the thread

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oh gently caress you and die.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

seiferguy posted:

Horsey, your loving employer endorses single family housing and urban sprawl, go gently caress yourself.

i have bad news about most peoples employers

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh gently caress you and die.
Saved as "goddamn these are some painful mental gymnastics"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why did Experts buy a new car but leave the old one at their office parking lot? Must have been weird parking next to their old, abandoned car every day for 20 years

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Mike Luckovich

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

:confused:

I honestly don't get the point of this. "The Dems are trying to stop Trump in 2024/Dems are trying to drag Trump down" but... yes? It's a two party system? Shouldn't the better analogy be a donkey and Trump lined up at the starting line, while an eagle wearing a referee shirt is trying to sneak a ball and chain onto Trump's leg, Trump is glancing back and shouting out "Hey!" and the donkey glancing at Trump while snickering?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Randalor posted:

:confused:

I honestly don't get the point of this. "The Dems are trying to stop Trump in 2024/Dems are trying to drag Trump down" but... yes? It's a two party system? Shouldn't the better analogy be a donkey and Trump lined up at the starting line, while an eagle wearing a referee shirt is trying to sneak a ball and chain onto Trump's leg, Trump is glancing back and shouting out "Hey!" and the donkey glancing at Trump while snickering?

Suppose that if you want to stretch for some generosity, you could say "The Dems are more concerned with stopping Trump than with running themselves"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You know what I'm going to give it to him.

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Stiglich is on a loving run this week.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

the_steve posted:

Suppose that if you want to stretch for some generosity, you could say "The Dems are more concerned with stopping Trump than with running themselves"

That's fair, I suppose. It's just so... I want to nominate it for a Kellies, I just have no idea what to even nominate it for. It's not even incomprehensible, it just makes no sense!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

You have the date wrong, Stiglich.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Skios posted:

Steve Benson

Uhm what? Is there anything going on here other than "fentanyl exists"? This doesn't jive with reality in any discernable way (do we even name hills)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dubar posted:

Uhm what? Is there anything going on here other than "fentanyl exists"? This doesn't jive with reality in any discernable way (do we even name hills)

Worst caricature Louie Armstrong?

Korthal
May 26, 2011

If we're doing nominations for best overall...

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:
Pope:

Climate change and energy minister Chris Bowen, who is trying to get a "safeguard mechanism" of a set reduction per year from the most polluting industries but isn't prepared to agree to no new coil or gas projects (which is requested from the Greens who are needed to make the numbers).

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall. It perfectly frames the whole issue with trying to go green while maintaining fossil fuels, with a well known expression that I don't think I've ever actually seen used in a political cartoon before (which is amazing in it's own right)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dubar posted:

It's implying it's coming from the Southern border.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson’s evidence to the privileges committee – Former PM said he did not mislead parliament over rule-breaking parties during the pandemic"

Telegraph:

The Tory MPs who voted against Rishi Sunak’s Brexit deal

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Skios posted:

Steve Benson

Why are there so many stories about fentanyl
And cops thinking they're gonna diiiiiiie

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They forgot to take the opioids they're using to manage their fentanyl anxiety.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Skios posted:

Mike Luckovich

A Good Comic? I'm reading it as right wing assholes calling anything and everything "woke" in an effort to discredit it. I'm fairly sure the author intended it to somehow be the other way around because he's a loving moron though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dirk the Average posted:

A Good Comic? I'm reading it as right wing assholes calling anything and everything "woke" in an effort to discredit it. I'm fairly sure the author intended it to somehow be the other way around because he's a loving moron though.
Lukovich isn't right wing, so no, I think that's the intended reading.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Steve Benson

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

Kellies Nomination: gently caress You, [Name]

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I think you have generally left-wing cartoonist Mike Lukovich confused for someone else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can definitely understand seeing "Salem Woke Trials" and instinctively dismissing it as a lovely right wing take.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I think you have generally left-wing cartoonist Mike Lukovich confused for someone else.

I definitely have been. I'm not sure who I kept thinking he was, but I kept being surprised at good take cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Salem witch trials were a thing where witches persecuted normal people, and so the Luckovich cartoon's judges are woke :dumb: