Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mdemone posted:

I feel awful for whichever judge has to read that 483 pages of nonsense

Their clerk is gonna paw through it first and the Judge signed up for that poo poo. it's the cost of getting to wear whatever you want under your robe in a courtroom and having goon bailiffs that do your bidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How many Russian nesting dolls of lawyers is this lol

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1637896070985285633?t=uHOAwDfTliknlNN2GnFGqg&s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does constantly calling himself "President" in all legal filings grate on all the judges* like I'm assuming it does?

*Ignoring his pet howler monkey judges. Real judges only.

Judges are basically the last people in the world who would get annoyed by using titles and respect for institutions.

I've had judges arguing against Zoom hearings and bringing all proceedings back to in-person in January 2021 because they were concerned that "everyone is looking directly at each other on Zoom" and "it may diminish respect for the judiciary" because when they are in person, they have to look up at the Judge and can see their name card that says "The Honorable Judge X" on it. On Zoom, everyone is at eye-level and using the name "The Honorable Judge X" on Zoom won't show the entire name when there are multiple people in the Zoom room.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Their clerk is gonna paw through it first and the Judge signed up for that poo poo. it's the cost of getting to wear whatever you want under your robe in a courtroom and having goon bailiffs that do your bidding.

Jokes on anyone who things the Judge isn't into exactly that poo poo, and if they are not a trumpist judge will also directly enjoy tearing apart that nonsense in a scathing manner.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

Jokes on anyone who things the Judge isn't into exactly that poo poo, and if they are not a trumpist judge will also directly enjoy tearing apart that nonsense in a scathing manner.

Reading 483 pages and assigning myself a book report on it to own myself

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

“Well, my testimony could exonerate Trump but, eh, the previous special grand jury didn’t ask. So, gently caress him,”?

Or, your testimony would actually only condemn him more?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Murgos posted:

“Well, my testimony could exonerate Trump but, eh, the previous special grand jury didn’t ask. So, gently caress him,”?

Or, your testimony would actually only condemn him more?

I think it's more
"Everybody involved is getting hosed so please leave me out of it, you're good without my testimony"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think it's more
"Everybody involved is getting hosed so please leave me out of it, you're good without my testimony"

"Please don't sanction me."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Bobb is currently on the line for being the attorney who signed off on the original 'yeah we checked and there are no more classified or classified marked documents here' statement. kinda unclear what her connection to the Georgia case is unless she's getting investigated from multiple angles, which, tbf, is not at all unlikely. despite her having been involved in the trump legal shitstorm for a while, it's not immediately clear why the Fulton DA would be interested in her 6+ months ago.

Afaik she's a true believer and iirc was one of the people brought on board from OANN, though who knows where her loyalties stand after getting wrapped up in an espionage/mishandling classified materials investigation.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 21, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AtomikKrab posted:

Jesus it is tiresome reading this schlock from posters with locked in syndrome, whether its about Covid or Trump. Please take your fake-Cassandra rear end to a street corner to spread the good news from a soapbox kthx.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 21, 2023

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

... Are you sure you read that post correctly? I think it's just saying "judges actually like doing procedural paperwork, otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive being a judge and constantly doing procedural paperwork." I don't think it's actually making any other statements one way or another.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The actual answer is that judges delegate that poo poo to law clerks.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Clarste posted:

The actual answer is that judges delegate that poo poo to law clerks.

Judges are in general just evolved law clerks

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AtomikKrab posted:

Judges are in general just evolved law clerks

I feel like there are plenty of Trump-appointed judges who don't believe in evolution

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It’s Tuesday.

Is it happening yet? Will it happen?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s Tuesday.

Is it happening yet? Will it happen?

No
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1638196788443201538?t=_7zR5GtCuBsOkK5tHQrc1A&s=19

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can’t believe tromp lied to me about Tuesday.

Sad. Angry.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A couple of sites are claiming there was a bomb threat called in.
Not specifically that it was what caused the delay, but in addition to what was going on.

https://twitter.com/bbsutton/status/1638233894406201360

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-21/bomb-threat-called-in-to-ny-court-where-trump-hearing-held
"A bomb threat was called in just as a judge in lower Manhattan was about to start a hearing over a $250 million lawsuit by New York Attorney General Letitia James against Donald Trump.

Tuesday’s 911 call was investigated, the courthouse at 60 Centre Street temporarily closed and searched, and the threat deemed unfounded, state court spokesman Lucian Chalfen said. "

"The New York Police Department said in a statement it had an increased uniformed presence throughout the city and stressed that “there are currently no credible threats” to New York, but that it remained ready to respond to protests and counterprotests. "

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm cross posting here because I don't know if this is US politics or more relevant to this thread but whatever, sorry for the spam

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1638304291805962240?t=Ea5zhotirmVm7l3etDW_UQ&s=19

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

I'm cross posting here because I don't know if this is US politics or more relevant to this thread but whatever, sorry for the spam

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1638304291805962240?t=Ea5zhotirmVm7l3etDW_UQ&s=19

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can’t believe tromp lied to me about Tuesday.

Sad. Angry.

AS soon as I heard him say he would be indicted Tuesday I knew it was bullshit because everything he says is a lie

OgNar posted:

A couple of sites are claiming there was a bomb threat called in.
Not specifically that it was what caused the delay, but in addition to what was going on.

https://twitter.com/bbsutton/status/1638233894406201360

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-21/bomb-threat-called-in-to-ny-court-where-trump-hearing-held
"A bomb threat was called in just as a judge in lower Manhattan was about to start a hearing over a $250 million lawsuit by New York Attorney General Letitia James against Donald Trump.

Tuesday’s 911 call was investigated, the courthouse at 60 Centre Street temporarily closed and searched, and the threat deemed unfounded, state court spokesman Lucian Chalfen said. "

"The New York Police Department said in a statement it had an increased uniformed presence throughout the city and stressed that “there are currently no credible threats” to New York, but that it remained ready to respond to protests and counterprotests. "

So, more fake news and/or Soros secret FBI agents

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

That’s some juicy stuff. I love that several of Trump lawyers have managed to get themselves turned into potential targets.

My wish is that Smith starts firing off indictments and we’re just rooting through every bit player in this 7 year ordeal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Murgos posted:

That’s some juicy stuff. I love that several of Trump lawyers have managed to get themselves turned into potential targets.

My wish is that Smith starts firing off indictments and we’re just rooting through every bit player in this 7 year ordeal.

It turns out being a lawyer does not entitle you to being a criminal co-conspirator. Who knew!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

oops, wrong thread

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Grand jury in NY NOT meeting today.
They have been told to stay home on standby for tomorrow.

Places like Fox are claiming the delay is because "Soros-Funded DA Alvin Bragg CAUGHT HIDING Nearly 600 Pages of Exculpatory Evidence from NY Grand Jury in Trump Case”, but I cant find a reliable source saying anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGMUeGq90o

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1638632045403426817

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 22, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

OgNar posted:

Grand jury in NY NOT meeting today.
They have been told to stay home on standby for tomorrow.

Places like Fox are claiming the delay is because "Soros-Funded DA Alvin Bragg CAUGHT HIDING Nearly 600 Pages of Exculpatory Evidence from NY Grand Jury in Trump Case”, but I cant find a reliable source saying anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGMUeGq90o

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1638632045403426817

You can't find a source because nobody knows. Everything relevant as to the reasoning is under seal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently Corcoran has been recording his conversations with Trump.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Get hosed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Murgos posted:

HAHAHAHA!!!! Get hosed.

I mean, didn't Cohen too (and everyone laughed just as hard when it happened?)

It really seems to be a thing the smarter lawyers do around him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

HAHAHAHA!!!! Get hosed.

THis is enticing and maybe I'm stupid but how is this not an attorney/client privilege thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

THis is enticing and maybe I'm stupid but how is this not an attorney/client privilege thing?

Not when a crime is involved. That's been the whole deal with Corcoran.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

He's fine to do it. The crime-fraud exception pierces the privilege, as determined by Judge Howell.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BiggerBoat posted:

That’s the whole point of Judge Howell’s recent ruling. Trump by virtue of what has already been shown did a crime, which means it obviates attorney-client privilege.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BiggerBoat posted:

Ja that privelege does not extend to discussions about helping your client hide or do crimes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The privilege is the clients. So if the client uses the attorney to further crime, which is what is being speculated here (unless we get information that changes that) then there is no privilege.

For how quick and aggressively the appeals court handled this (file in three hours by midnight) and judge Howell’s comment about “prima facile evidence of a crime” it seems like Trump clearly and knowingly lied to Corcoran and made him lie or obstruct. That Smiths team knew enough already to press Howell for the ruling after Corcoran said his testimony was protected seems pretty significant.

Having tapes that can be played that clearly show Trump committing a crime would be really, really amazing given his always talking sideways about everything.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If Trump goes down for being on tape--just like Nixon--it will have a certain poetic irony.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ynglaur posted:

If Trump goes down for being on tape--just like Nixon--it will have a certain poetic irony.

Neither one really suffered any consequences for their actions?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Based on the relatively low resistance by corcoran, my totally reckless speculation is that the conversations in question are "uhhh you can't do that, it's illegal" "shut up you are fake news"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm just guessing, but the conversation is gonna be Trump and Corcoran discussing a crime that one or both of them totally committed but discussing it as a hypothetical. Because they believe that the equivalent of saying you're going to do it in Minecraft is a real thing.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think the smart money is on "Trump lied to his lawyer in ways to make the lawyer give false information that the lawyer believed was true, in such a way to further trumps criminal activities." Thus crime-fraud, Lawyer himself is quite possibly not at risk himself as long as he plays ball and turns everything over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Neither one really suffered any consequences for their actions?

I meant in the sense of a voice recording being crucial evidence of the crime.