Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, I'm actually the exact opposite (final chapter); Mindt and Ori were never on or anywhere near my radar; I had thought it weird how prominent they were without getting a Next Chapter quest or anything of the sort, but never considered that they'd be involved in the finale. I have no idea how I missed Kazan, I noticed that stuff about him, too, and only found Oboro's journal after fighting my way back to Ku, but I was convinced he was just Team Hikari. Tanzy however had some odd detail in her Inquire text that I twigged as sus. I forget what exactly it was, but something along the lines of "no one knows who this 'Goddess' is referring to, and she will not elaborate," and no one else shies away from referring to Sealticge et al by name or title.

E: I also noticed that he was alone with the big evil sword, and that after the fade-to-black, it was nowhere to be found and no one brought it up again! I may just have been having a bad brain day when I was playing that chapter.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Final chapter stuff With the cutscene where Hikari beats Mugen and Kazan tells him to go address Ku, right as the screen fully fades to black ij the throne room, Kazan turns to face the sword; I didn't expect him to be the final boss, or Oboro, but it stood out at the time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hikari Final Chapter When I was about to fight Mugen I was chanting out loud 'GET ON A RANDOM HORSE PLEASE PLEASE GET ON A RANDOM HORSE and popped off when it happened. Octopath needs this tradition for it's warriors

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I keep getting these powerful axes with a ton of Elemental Attack on them, but none of my primary casters have Axe-using subjobs! There's just Throne, Castii, and Agnea, IIRC.

Speaking of that - how are weapon stats applied? Do I need to switch to an Axe to receive the Axe's stats when using a skill/spell?

I've also found that I can handle areas up to like level 45, even though my party is mostly in the upper 20s. Had a bad experience on this one island, though. Boss has 50000 HP and I got it all the way down to its name being red before getting hit with a couple unlucky attacks. And there's no save point near it! I just left the island and decided to come back with a better group, since I was using some of my weaker characters.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of that - how are weapon stats applied? Do I need to switch to an Axe to receive the Axe's stats when using a skill/spell?

I'm pretty sure physical attack uses the respective weapon's, and elemental attack uses the highest of whatever you've got equipped.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I keep getting these powerful axes with a ton of Elemental Attack on them, but none of my primary casters have Axe-using subjobs! There's just Throne, Castii, and Agnea, IIRC.

I've also found that I can handle areas up to like level 45, even though my party is mostly in the upper 20s. Had a bad experience on this one island, though. Boss has 50000 HP and I got it all the way down to its name being red before getting hit with a couple unlucky attacks. And there's no save point near it! I just left the island and decided to come back with a better group, since I was using some of my weaker characters.

The elemental axes are basically for Castti's offensive mixes, or for sticking an axe sub-job on the likes of Temenos or Osvald.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Last time I did the Google Research people theorized it works the same as in 1, so spells and skills that scale off Elemental Attack always go with whichever highest value +Elem. Atk. weapon you've got equipped, while all the other stats are derived from your currently selected weapon.

There's no reason to equip more than one weapon with high elemental attack unless it has other stats you like; I always gave Throné a magic axe because was my inventor and had good knife/sword skills but no axe ones, so getting a buff to her dark skills was the best use of that slot anyway.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 23, 2023

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Speaking of Osvald, I'm gearing up for the super boss, and I have no idea how to make this guy not dead weight. Tons of setup for mediocre returns. Yet I keep seeing people report doing like 200k damage a turn with him and I'm not seeing it. Even making him an armsmaster and stacking him with elemental weapons in every slot with Battle Tested Staff, using Alephan's, stacking buffs and debuffs, and none of his skills are competitive with Ochette or Hikar, who also aren't hindered by the utterly insane investment of resources involved. What am I missing here? Probably just going to make him a dancer and make him a Sealtiscge bot.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Novasol posted:

Speaking of Osvald, I'm gearing up for the super boss, and I have no idea how to make this guy not dead weight. Tons of setup for mediocre returns. Yet I keep seeing people report doing like 200k damage a turn with him and I'm not seeing it. Even making him an armsmaster and stacking him with elemental weapons in every slot with Battle Tested Staff, using Alephan's, stacking buffs and debuffs, and none of his skills are competitive with Ochette or Hikar, who also aren't hindered by the utterly insane investment of resources involved. What am I missing here? Probably just going to make him a dancer and make him a Sealtiscge bot.

Had the same issues as you.
I used him in phase two with apoc divine to keep throwing out the best jam to everyone every turn.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.

Novasol posted:

He takes a lot of setup, it's true.

You want him to have Peak Performance, the Price of Power, and Deal more Damage. The final skill is whatever, I use Step Ahead to make the setup easier. Then you want him to triple stack elemental boosting weapons. There's a sword, bow, and axe that all do ice, so that adds up right then. Then, elemental attack up on him, elemental down on the enemy, break them, and use his latent. With everything up, I can do 260K ish on him. Honestly? Run him with Throne and Temenos, and fight everything at night. It solves two of his needs passively. Then I have Temenos scholar divine him for the tri-hit, let Throne, Osvald, and the third break the boss on turn 2, and then the fight is over.

Does it take more setup than just doing an Alpione build with Hikari? Yes. Does it do less damage, ultimately? Also yes. But the two don't really conflict with each other, and Hikari can run Arcanist to get his phys boosting going, so it can let you have a monstrous slugger on each team. I mostly did it because he was my MC and I like his goofy rear end.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t know that the elemental-boosting weapons stacked. Interesting!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really appreciated how Osvald became less taciturn over the course of the game. It's not like totally in your face but it's there if you care to notice it happening in the travel banters and such.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

He takes a lot of setup, it's true.

You want him to have Peak Performance, the Price of Power, and Deal more Damage. The final skill is whatever, I use Step Ahead to make the setup easier. Then you want him to triple stack elemental boosting weapons. There's a sword, bow, and axe that all do ice, so that adds up right then. Then, elemental attack up on him, elemental down on the enemy, break them, and use his latent. With everything up, I can do 260K ish on him. Honestly? Run him with Throne and Temenos, and fight everything at night. It solves two of his needs passively. Then I have Temenos scholar divine him for the tri-hit, let Throne, Osvald, and the third break the boss on turn 2, and then the fight is over.

Does it take more setup than just doing an Alpione build with Hikari? Yes. Does it do less damage, ultimately? Also yes. But the two don't really conflict with each other, and Hikari can run Arcanist to get his phys boosting going, so it can let you have a monstrous slugger on each team. I mostly did it because he was my MC and I like his goofy rear end.

That's the thing I just said, I literally did all of that, and I am not getting those numbers. Like, not even half those numbers. I'm not claiming you're lying, but this math does not add up for me.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What level is your Osvald? Some people have said that level plays a part in the damage calculations, and if you're too low level it might be really capping your hurt potential. Since he's my main he's ahead of everyone else at level 57ish. That, and all of the mugging I did. So much mugging...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Novasol posted:

That's the thing I just said, I literally did all of that, and I am not getting those numbers. Like, not even half those numbers. I'm not claiming you're lying, but this math does not add up for me.

Elemental nuts? Level? There's level scaling.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

He's level 82. I didn't dump all the nuts into him, so his e. atk isn't maxed or anything, but it shouldn't be such a monstrous discrpancy.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

I'm not maxed on E-attack yet either. He did get a lot of nuts, but I'm capped out at around 920 right now. Maybe try the critical scope with inventor as well? TBH I am not even 100% spells can crit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I didn’t know that the elemental-boosting weapons stacked. Interesting!

Yeah, the issue is that Osvald can't use all three without going into Armsmaster.

However, Agnea can run triple +wind weapons by going into Merchant (there's a dagger, lance and bow), allowing her to chunk out decent Windy Refrain damage. Merchant Agnea is actually a pretty decent early-mid unit since her Latent works with Arrow of Fortune for JP farming in random encounters. And she can make okay use of Ember (which is wasted on Osvald and does pittance damage for anyone else other than Temenos).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thrones story: :stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Big question, but would people be opposed to these games having actual dungeons? It's the one thing I keep kinda reeling back in my head that every chapter is just 2 rooms at absolute most with a save point before every boss and it just makes me think about how there's nothing multi-level, no puzzles, no mazes nothing to really get through. Just hallways with a couple 2 second detours to a treasure chest

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd keep the random encounters and the puzzle rooms separate in that case.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

She makes friends by feeding them. Hell yeah

And also turning some of her friends into food and feeding them to new friends.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm not particularly bothered by the basic pathway dungeons for whatever reason but I would absolutely love some more involved dungeons for sure. Not *every* dungeon needs to be a big involved puzzley affair as I think that would bog down the game a bit too much but if like the final dungeons for each story were big affairs and there were a handful of others out in the world that would be cool.

They almost kinda do that with the final dungeons in each story by making them bigger but they just become bigger paths to walk through, no complexity ever gets added.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would only like longer dungeons if they finally get rid of random encounters being so absurdly high.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Octopath is still a very 'basic' RPG (like the meat of the puzzle solving is in the sidequests) so I'm fine with basic dungeons. I don't really like having to look up guides for puzzle dungeons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Still only halfway done with final chapters, but I’d say something like Throne’s final dungeon with half the encounter rate would be fine for endgame dungeons.

To me, the shorter linear dungeons are more of a feature, since you don’t spend most of a chapter getting bogged down in random encounters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It was nice to see how many supporting characters return in the epilogue to bid you off. Except for Tanzy. Whoops. She really barked up the wrong goddess.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I honestly like how the "puzzles" in the game are mandated to path actions with npcs and the dungeons are just a power walk up to the boss with some side paths for treasure.

The only way I'd want proper puzzles in dungeon areas was if instead of day/night actions, the next game has town/exploration actions and they base everything around that entirely.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A downside of the relative lack of challenge in the second half is that you can come unprepared for the final boss. Level 60 with maxed jobs, top gear, and fruits of labor for everyone, and I still felt like I was winning by a hair. "It's like if Kefka was actually challenging since it's mandatory to use all the balance-breaking combinations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

They got real close to doing a cool puzzle-y dungeon with the dungeon during Temenos & Throne's Part 2 crossed path where you got to use the time of day changing to find poo poo in the dungeon and figure out the thing at the end. More of that would be cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought all characters had 4 chapters, but apparently at least one has 5? Oh well, not complaining. I'm now done with like half of the characters' chapter 3s (and one chapter 4).

I have a zillion nuts and choice paralysis about who to spend them on. I should probably use them at some point, since they give a lot of stats. I wonder if it makes sense to not use the DPS stat ones on "utility" characters like Castii or Partitio.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I thought all characters had 4 chapters, but apparently at least one has 5? Oh well, not complaining. I'm now done with like half of the characters' chapter 3s (and one chapter 4).

I have a zillion nuts and choice paralysis about who to spend them on. I should probably use them at some point, since they give a lot of stats. I wonder if it makes sense to not use the DPS stat ones on "utility" characters like Castii or Partitio.

The overall number of chapters is the same, it's just that for some of them the Chapter 2/3s are broken up into routes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every character has five total chapters except Throné who has six because she’s the best.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Partitio's thing where he only has four, but also those other three. Though I guess only the ship is mandatory, which evens out to five.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Re: Castti's Chapter 3 - Unless something more is revealed in chapter 4, the motive for the villain is a little silly and sudden. As I played this chapter I was constantly thinking "don't tell me this is going to be an 'I must end all life because Life if Suffering' thing" and sure enough that ended up being the case, but without much explanation/lead-up to this guy suddenly losing his poo poo.

It's also not clear to me where the "Eir's Apothecaries have a terrible reputation" stuff from Chapter 1 comes from. From what we find out, there was only one town where everyone died, but "everyone" included "all Eir's apothecaries except Castti and the villain." One incident doesn't seem like enough precedent to lead people to the conclusion of "this group goes around killing everyone" (especially when the villain guy doesn't even wear the Eir's Apothecaries uniform).

Malaya being figment of her imagination was a kind of cool reveal though, if a little silly. Right before the reveal I was thinking "Malaya putting Castii on the boat makes no sense," but it makes more sense if Malaya was about to die and there literally wasn't any other way to transport Castti far away.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 24, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the logic is that Trousseau is spreading the rumour about Eir's Apothecaries as he travels. Since he's heading West, Winterbloom doesn't really get news of it, while Canalbrine, being a port town, does. Sai is kind of out of the way of his route, so it doesn't really get the rumours, either.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think the logic is that Trousseau is spreading the rumour about Eir's Apothecaries as he travels. Since he's heading West, Winterbloom doesn't really get news of it, while Canalbrine, being a port town, does. Sai is kind of out of the way of his route, so it doesn't really get the rumours, either.

I hadn’t thought of that but it makes sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why would he do that, though? How does that help his goal? I guess just making things a bit harder for Castti (though I don't think he has any way of knowing she survived)?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just kind of assumed Trousseu lost his marbles when one of his patients died, despite his best efforts to save them, even though IIRC we never actually see this and everyone in the village is fine until he kills them. Also I figure there are more nasty rumors about Eir's Apothecaries but we only see them in Canalbrine, because Castti's other stops are places they've actually been and are known to be good eggs. Like, someone in New Delstra or Clockbank might gossip about how some blue-uniformed cult murdered a village, but people in Sai or Winterbloom would not buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Before he became an apothecary he lost a patient he was close to, you learn this in the Winterbloom episode. Also, in Chapter 3 he tells you that there was another traveler who opened his eyes to the truth and turned him into who he is now. Presumably this was one of the other villains, like Harvey maybe.