Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Man can u believe Dagoth Ur is saying that poo poo. Its so crayzeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQdqeI0pNBU

This is definitely art. Using the Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead lore and mechanics as training data to play 1 on 1 role playing fiction games with.

I'm gonna add that to my watch for later, that's pretty cool

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Midjourney, Stable Diffusion and DALLE because it's just not very good art. Not only is the composition and knowledge of art styles poor, it cannot paint history paintings to save its life.

Whereas,

This audio AI doesn't seem far off
His Welsh is abysmal though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Maybe you're just not a very good AI artist op, my MJ poo poo slaps
Take some time to really hone your craft, generate some feet and horses

The text stuff is pretty great for role-playing, me and my partner had a fun group session then continued it with our own little 2 person session using a CharacterAi bot I made that had all our quest info shoved into it's brain. We'd just roll dice irl then put "X fires his cybergun but fails to hit" or "and he critically hits" in.

I also ran a big irl session the other day and fed a small standalone campaign into chatgtp and got it to generate a bunch more npcs and stuff based on the ones I had given it.
It's also good for making npc monologues and stuff for quest givers.

You can be like "the quest is a grizzled game dad looking for his cyberdaughter, write the monologue as the dad gives the players the quest... But there is a twist!" and it'll do that well

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Lol at the most "worthwhile" use case being a replacement for simple human imagination

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Lol at the most "worthwhile" use case being a replacement for simple human imagination

It can't get facts right so what else is there

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best use case for the text to image models that I've seen is still probably deepfakes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm looking for rendering field sketches and other archeological evidence as reconstructions of the past, something that usually takes very talented illustrators. The problem is that while I could tell a human artist XYZ and show him say, the boss of a shield or the metal decorations remaining from a door or piece of furniture that decayed, and there are many talented artists who do just this, the AI creates gibberish. It imagines fanciful things where I want reconstructions.

I don't want fantasy scenes, I want, say an 6th century hill fort in Strathclyde, and I can feed in all of the reference images, detailed descriptions, try to train the model, I like, and what I get is either a video game world or, at best, anachronism that also doesn't look like I describe.

I don't know, call it a lack of imagination, but this used to be the bread and butter of illustrators, even for children's non-fiction books and the AI is not up to it.

"Marine Nationale sailors performing maintenance on a 3 inch naval gun, Saigon Navy Base, 1948." Actually, the description has been tried with way more detail, and dozens of reference photos, including colourized ones, but for the sake of simplicity.

Adobe has said their model will eventually be able to turn line drawings into 2D and 3D renderings of the object in question, but it's a long way off.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Mar 23, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
chatGPT is good for showing code and being like "how can I make it do this other thing too?"

but i don't do code as a job so maybe it's gay reddit fail aids or whatever we're saying now

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Futanari Damacy posted:

Back in the 1970s - 2000s we only had books with tables to cross reference dice rolls with garbage random garbage texts. Automation of random encounters was long overdue

But yes lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

nah id say its more an imagination aid than replacement. it depends how your brain works i guess.

a lot of it is trash but some of it is either bang on how you imagined it or its something new and you go "oh yeah thats an idea, you could do it like xyz" for something element youd otherwise not given your full attention to

its more like a sounding board or assistant, some new reflections on your stuff coming from outside your head, i guess ironically the AI ends up prompting you

thats why they are trying to push them as AI assistants, you can really use them that way and they work pretty well. I do know some coders who have used it at work but I use it for my personal creative nonsense to augment what i can already do.
like i wonder about creating a SD model based on my own art then using that to generate backgrounds and crowds and details like I have my own team of manga assistants or something. its a huge potential boost for solo projects imo

e: i think theres an actual risk of it changing peoples ability to imagine (more than has already happened with tv) but i kinda think saying its a replacement for imagination is like saying that about buying a stamp to produce a pattern repeatedly without drawing it each time

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Mar 23, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gonna train an AI on my posts and just empty quote it infinitely

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm looking for rendering field sketches and other archeological evidence as reconstructions of the past, something that usually takes very talented illustrators. The problem is that while I could tell a human artist XYZ and show him say, the boss of a shield or the metal decorations remaining from a door or piece of furniture that decayed, and there are many talented artists who do just this, the AI creates gibberish. It imagines fanciful things where I want reconstructions.

I don't want fantasy scenes, I want, say an 6th century hill fort in Strathclyde, and I can feed in all of the reference images, detailed descriptions, try to train the model, I like, and what I get is either a video game world or, at best, anachronism that also doesn't look like I describe.

I don't know, call it a lack of imagination, but this used to be the bread and butter of illustrators, even for children's non-fiction books and the AI is not up to it.

"Marine Nationale sailors performing maintenance on a 3 inch naval gun, Saigon Navy Base, 1948." Actually, the description has been tried with way more detail, and dozens of reference photos, including colourized ones, but for the sake of simplicity.

Adobe has said their model will eventually be able to turn line drawings into 2D and 3D renderings of the object in question, but it's a long way off.

Bro it can't even consistently get the number of fingers on a hand right

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Gonna train an AI on my posts and just empty quote it infinitely

surely theres gotta be an AI poster here already somewhere

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shear Modulus posted:

Bro it can't even consistently get the number of fingers on a hand right

It's just that it sucks that this is going to hurt artists that I could have paid a fair amount of money to turn line drawings or sketches into proper illustrations.

Can you imagine one of these things trying to do paleo art if you give it a series of sketches of disarticulated bones? lol All the same, it's going to hurt the artists who can do those things.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
You can still pay those artists lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

You can still pay those artists lol

That ability will go away from anything that is institutionally funded (corporate, academics, whatever) shortly. Managerial types are already getting the idea that chatgpt is magic because their economic incentives are to reduce marginal costs, not to produce accurate and high quality outputs. The magic isn't that it replaces an illustrator's ability to accurately render a historical scene, based on all available reference materials. The magic is that it eliminates the cost of paying the artist. The fact that the illustration is now totally confabulated bullshit is completely ancillary because a) they can always apologize for that later and apologies are free, and b) if all the institutional powers that hold all the economic levers mutually agree that This Is Fine then they can just loving fact check and shout down the isolated individual people saying that the AI output is bullshit and reify a new system of values in which Whatever The Thing Produces Must Be Right. Don't believe me? Look at the opinion makers saying that a bullshit randomized controlled trial meta-analysis is a "gold standard" because it fits a desirable political-economic narrative and that physical process and engineering analysis showing the opposite must be wrong.

The end state is one in which you literally can't pay artists for institutional work anymore because that line item in your budget will never be approved.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

HAahah jesus christ these are worse than the airplanes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

That ability will go away from anything that is institutionally funded (corporate, academics, whatever) shortly. Managerial types are already getting the idea that chatgpt is magic because their economic incentives are to reduce marginal costs, not to produce accurate and high quality outputs. The magic isn't that it replaces an illustrator's ability to accurately render a historical scene, based on all available reference materials. The magic is that it eliminates the cost of paying the artist. The fact that the illustration is now totally confabulated bullshit is completely ancillary because a) they can always apologize for that later and apologies are free, and b) if all the institutional powers that hold all the economic levers mutually agree that This Is Fine then they can just loving fact check and shout down the isolated individual people saying that the AI output is bullshit and reify a new system of values in which Whatever The Thing Produces Must Be Right. Don't believe me? Look at the opinion makers saying that a bullshit randomized controlled trial meta-analysis is a "gold standard" because it fits a desirable political-economic narrative and that physical process and engineering analysis showing the opposite must be wrong.

The end state is one in which you literally can't pay artists for institutional work anymore because that line item in your budget will never be approved.

Man the planets dying I don't have time to be worried about bullshit like this sorry lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Just pay the artists who didn't stop existing overnight imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

yeah its garbage at accuracy and specifics. which is why its a TERRIBLE idea for a search engine replacement or as anything you're taking actual advice or info from.

I reckon a skilled enough promptsmith could maybe manage it with enough negative prompts and training but I don't know if it would be worth the effort

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the text generation engine is of course useless as a search engine but there are actual search engines as well, like the beta bing one and this
they combine the same unreliable text output with actual citations to internet search results which you can just click on

of course sometimes it'll just make poo poo up and say something that's not in the cited source so the main point is just using it to find links/articles

that citation goes to this web page which really does have the answer

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Man the planets dying I don't have time to be worried about bullshit like this sorry lol

thought terminating cliché, etc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

thought terminating cliché, etc

so the planet isn't dying? cool!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

yep.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

so the planet isn't dying? cool!

no the planet is dying so I can't bothered to care about your posts

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

no the planet is dying so I can't bothered to care about your posts

exactly yes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Alright guys you heard it, the mechanical looms don't matter because you can just pay the weavers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anyways imo you can just commission artists to make the stuff you want you don't have to invent a narrative about how they'll all be gone soon to justify not commissioning them. spread the wealth and get that portrait of yourself as a bob's burgers character, the kind of art that an AI could never replicate the soul and passion of

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Yea, I uh, don't have an artist budget... is this weird or something?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Alright guys you heard it, the mechanical looms don't matter because you can just pay the weavers

mechanical looms don't batter because it's 2023 i've never even seen a loom dumbass

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
this mf talking about looms... dude this is the AI thread!!! not the loom thread!!!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

this is a good post ty

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this mf talking about looms... dude this is the AI thread!!! not the loom thread!!!

the computer (AI host) is the grandchild of the jacquard loom (class Enemy)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah lol strAight from the horses mouth

Nouriel Roubini: Surviving global megathreats | McKinsey

www.mckinsey.com posted:

In this episode of the McKinsey Global Institute’s Forward Thinking podcast, co-host Michael Chui talks with Nouriel Roubini. Roubini is professor emeritus of economics at the Stern School of Business at New York University, and CEO of Roubini Macro Associates, a global macroeconomics consultancy. He covers topics including the following:
  • The “mother of all” debt crises and what to do about it
  • Likely future trends in the global balance sheet—the world’s economic health and wealth
  • The trajectory of globalization
  • Which “megathreat” worries him most

Michael Chui: What would you recommend a student entering college study today?

Nouriel Roubini: Any young person, man and woman, has to worry that his or her job eventually is going to be displaced by technology—AI, robotic automation. Not just routine jobs that used to be blue collar. Increasingly, even white-collar cognitive jobs can be sliced into different tasks. And now we have transformers and ChatGPT, and GPT3, and you name it. Even creative stuff increasingly can be done by the machine.

My view is that first you have to understand technology. For any young person, either a major or minor in STEM—science, technology, engineering, math—and/or computer science gives you the tools to understand technology and prepare yourself for surviving and thriving in a hyperdigitalized world.

Then you also need a major or minor in liberal arts. If you have to change jobs ten times in your life, you’re not going to have only one career because of technological obsolescence; you need to think well, write well, read well, and understand things in a more flexible way.

So probably major in STEM and minor in liberal arts, or vice versa. You have to be well rounded. And in terms of financial advice, nobody’s become rich overnight because of betting and gambling in Las Vegas or on crypto or meme or SPACs or any other type of bubble. You have to study hard, get good human capital, get a good job, heavy income, save it, invest it in a diversified way for the long run, and eventually, you’ll have enough savings to retire comfortably.

Because in your old age—our current pension systems are pay-as-you-go, are going to go bankrupt. And there are not going to be enough benefits for everybody who’s young today and is going to become older 50 years from now. You need to supplement it with private savings so that eventually you can live comfortably. That would be the advice for a young person.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

get that portrait of yourself as a bob's burgers character, the kind of art that an AI could never replicate the soul and passion of

It's so funny you think that's what art is. It's also the only thing the AI can do.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

those actually made usable cloth though

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

those actually made usable cloth though

I have some bad news about who gets to decide what counts as "usable" when it comes to art

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i guess making AI Art into a plausible money laundering vehicle is the use case for NFTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

It's so funny you think that's what art is. It's also the only thing the AI can do.

which national hero is that